PDA

View Full Version : Antenna Installation - Take 1

n2ize
09-30-2011, 05:58 PM
Okay, today I tried the twirl and toss method of getting the line way up over the tree. But it didn't quite work. Got it tangled a few times and got it to bounce off my neighbors roof.

So now we go to the next method... The slingshot maneuver.

If that fails then... "I shoot an arrow in the aire".

KC2UGV
09-30-2011, 07:30 PM
Use a model rocket... More funner :)

NQ6U
09-30-2011, 09:08 PM
Ever think about trying one of your RC helicopters?

NA4BH
09-30-2011, 09:14 PM
Use the model rocket, but limit the distance it can travel. Tie a string to the rocket and attach the other end to your knuts, allow for 3 feet longer than the distance needed to get over the limb. Make that 2 1/2 feet, you'll know what I mean. Go for throttle up..............

N6YG
10-01-2011, 01:05 AM
Ever think about trying one of your RC helicopters?

Been flying model helicopters for quite sometime, I started back when we had to scratch build our own which required a lot of machine work. Which by the way is how I learned how I learned to use a mill and lathe.

I was also a factory sponsored pilot for a few years doing demos and such at air shows. I don't know if you were joking but even for someone as experienced as I trying to fly a line over the top of a tall tree would not only be extremely difficult it would be very dangerous. can you imagine what would happened if that line snagged. On the other hand I used to practice inverted flight by using a model helicopter to blow leaves on my driveway and lawn.

Anyhow I have tried many ways of getting lines over tall trees and nothing seems to work as easily and safely as a pneumatic tennis ball launcher. I've built quite a few of them, unfortunately some ham always comes along and offers me a ridiculous sum of money for them so I always end up selling them and never seem to have one on had when I need it.

Of all the methods I have used the sling shot seems to be the most dangerous. It's been my experience that its really only useful on very calm days. If you try and launch a line on a windy day more often then not the light weight fishing line tangles on the sling shot arms which usually results in the weight either not traveling far or rebounding back at the shooters face. More often then not it misses the shooter but that one time it hits you is enough to sour you on using them. At the vary least I highly recommend wearing safety goggles.

Anyhow the whole point of this post is to strongly recommend wearing safety goggles when using a sling shot to launch lines. This advice went unheeded by an arrogant ham last field day. The unfortunate result was a trip to the emergency room with a serious eye injury. So if you plan on using a sling shot please wear safety goggles.

NQ6U
10-01-2011, 07:56 AM
I was kidding about using the RC helicopter. As for lines getting tangled in the sling shot, the trick there is to hold the slingshot upside down.

WØTKX
10-01-2011, 08:47 AM
I built a launcher from a kit at http://www.akbeng.com/products/antenna-launchers/csv19-launcher/

It absolutely ROCKS. Now the only reason my loop isn't back up is laziness... and frequent fall color drives with the Miata. :snicker:

kb2vxa
10-02-2011, 12:06 PM
Kid Monkey isn't a rapper, he's an expendable baby brother. There are other things you can attach to his harness besides a leash.

w2amr
10-09-2011, 03:58 AM
Okay, today I tried the twirl and toss method of getting the line way up over the tree. But it didn't quite work. Got it tangled a few times and got it to bounce off my neighbors roof.

So now we go to the next method... The slingshot maneuver.

If that fails then... "I shoot an arrow in the aire".
Don't shoot yer eye out kid.

KG4CGC
10-09-2011, 05:09 AM
rod n reel

W1GUH
10-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Having just been through that exercise, I"m confident that the slingshot will work just fine. Spent an entire morning trying the "twirl and let go" method and all I've got to show for it is a dent in the roof of my car. With a slingshot I got it first try.

But you're doing something horribly wrong. It's way, way, way, way, way, way too nice out today for antenna work. If you put up an antenna in this kind of wx you'll be lucky if it gets out at all AND it'll come down within a week. Simply because the wx is too good.

I'd say wait for the first day of sleet/freezing rain -- you know, one of those uncomfortably cold days when the wind cuts to the bone. Antennas erected in that kind of wx will have lots of gain (over an antenna put up in beautiful wx) AND will last forever and ever. Your great great grandkids, at least, will still be using it!

This is a fundamental law of physics:

"The goodness of a wire antenna is inversely proportional to he square of the niceness of the wx!"

N6YG
10-09-2011, 03:59 PM
I built a launcher from a kit at http://www.akbeng.com/products/antenna-launchers/csv19-launcher/

It absolutely ROCKS. Now the only reason my loop isn't back up is laziness... and frequent fall color drives with the Miata. :snicker:

The launch I build is a modified version of that same launcher. It's well worth the effort to build. When it comes to the ease of hanging antennas in trees there's absolutely no comparison between a pneumatic tennis ball launcher and a wrist rocket.

The pneumatic launcher is much safer and much more precise. With the pneumatic launcher its a one shot deal whereas with the wrist rocket it will most likely take quite a few tries. Also keep in mind that a tennis ball won't take out an eye or break a window and its much easer to see hanging in the tree.

Again there's simply no comparison. It's like comparing a life jacket to a life raft or a mill and lathe to a hand file and pocket knife or maybe even better yet it's like comparing a cigarette lighter to a soldering gun. Can you imagine trying to solder a PL259 to coax with a cigarette lighter vs a big soldering iron ? Well thats about the difference between a pneumatic tennis ball launch vs a sling shot.