PDA

View Full Version : Am I going to be the sole Islander at Deerfield

W1GUH
09-28-2011, 05:09 PM
AGAIN?????

F'ing SUPER hamfest. Lots and lots and lots of goodies, good times, great friendly hams. IMHO, a lot more fun than Dayton.

To begin with, Dayton's in OH...'nuff said.

For Dayton, you HAVE to book a room or (maybe -- if you don't get busted by the gendarmes) sleep in your car.

At Deerfield, you camp (if you want to) right there, anywhere.)

The flea market is "generally" equivalent. No, it's not the huge Collins and Drake get-together as Dayton, but the vintage stuff is always there in abundance.

C'mon up to New Hampshire. You won't regret it.

WØTKX
09-28-2011, 05:31 PM
You must be afraid, sole.

http://www.creaturesofdelight.com/creature_gallery_3/Frightened%20Fish.jpg

W1GUH
09-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Now you've made me hungry for Filet of Sole Claudine. Filets rolled in lettuce in a sauce of white wine and cream with a julienne of carrots, mushrooms, and shallots. Mmmmmmmmmmm.......

ad4mg
09-28-2011, 05:59 PM
653 miles, over a 12 hour drive. I'd love to see New Hampshire again, but that's a trip that's gonna require planning!

Even Paul, N1LAF, is 3 hours out. I guess the closet I've ever been was when I was in Londonderry a few years (almost 10, now) back. It's very pretty up there. You folks landscape around the rocks (boulders) in your front yards. Impressed the hell outta me!

NQ6U
09-28-2011, 06:05 PM
That a 6200 mile round trip. For what it would cost me in gas alone I could almost buy a brand new IC-7000.

W1GUH
09-28-2011, 06:10 PM
That a 6200 mile round trip. For what it would cost me in gas alone I could almost buy a brand new IC-7000.

Here's hoping your trucking gets you close some year.

KJ3N
09-28-2011, 06:51 PM
Am I going to be the sole Islander at Deerfield

AGAIN?????

AFAIC, you will. :neener:

I don't do hamfests. :hand:

n2ize
09-29-2011, 05:04 AM
This is not the original Deerfield that was actually at "Hosstraders at Deerfield" where many of the famous AM'ers camped out, got stoned, enjoyed great food, and operated "piss weak little mobile" from the campsite. This is at a different location from what I understand. But its still Hosstraders and still in NH and still worth a trip and many of the AM Greats still make this one. I'd love to go but unfortunately I can't get away from here right now.

n2ize
09-29-2011, 05:04 AM

"Deerfield (aka Hosstraders) is not a hamfest. It's an experience.

KJ3N
09-29-2011, 06:51 AM
"Deerfield (aka Hosstraders) is not a hamfest. It's an experience.

So is Dayton (or so I hear) and I have no plans to attend that hamfest either. :hand:

W1GUH
09-29-2011, 07:22 AM
This is not the original Deerfield that was actually at "Hosstraders at Deerfield" where many of the famous AM'ers camped out, got stoned, enjoyed great food, and operated "piss weak little mobile" from the campsite. This is at a different location from what I understand. But its still Hosstraders and still in NH and still worth a trip and many of the AM Greats still make this one. I'd love to go but unfortunately I can't get away from here right now.

It's back at he fairgrounds, and just exactly the same. You gotta get out of Yonkers more, John, starting to be concerned.

W1GUH
09-29-2011, 07:23 AM

Sounds like you're proud of yourself about that.

Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

n2ize
09-29-2011, 02:06 PM
It's back at he fairgrounds, and just exactly the same. You gotta get out of Yonkers more, John, starting to be concerned.

What the heck do you think Yonkers is ? Some highly secluded cloistered farm community in a remote valley surrounded on all sides by hundreds of miles of impassible mountains where the only connection to the outside world is a donkey cart that comes through once every 2 or 3 years ? Yonkers is basically an extension of NYC. In 10 minutes I can drive into NYC from Yonkers and in 25-35 minutes I can be in the middle of Manhattan. A typical train ride from Yonkers to GCT is 35 minutes and I have even rode a bicycle and walked into NYC from here. Much of Yonkers is concrete and urban just like NYC and there is an incredible amount of cultural diversity up here. Believe it or not there are a lot of people who actually come here from NYC to shop, go to restaurants and work. Within minutes and without owning a car I can reach any major transportation hub and be on my way to any part of the world. The vast majority of my neighbors here (including myself) shuttle between here and NYC every single day. In general I can get to work in Manhattan from Yonkers faster than most people coming in from Brooklyn, Queens, or the Bronx. We are not the remote island that many people imagine us to be.

ab1ga
09-29-2011, 04:43 PM
I agree with 'GUH, you do need to get out more. You're stuck in Metro NYC, the world's biggest village.

:)

n2ize
09-29-2011, 04:50 PM
I agree with 'GUH, you do need to get out more. You're stuck in Metro NYC, the world's biggest village.

:)

I have a good friend who is a Professor and who has traveled and lived all over the world including many places the average tourist never thinks of going. He's been through the arctic and down into the antarctic. He's been all over Africa, Eastern Europe, Western Europe Asia, Pacific Islands Vietnam, etc.. From his perspective almost everyone is leading a cloistered life and needs to "get out more". ;)

ab1ga
09-29-2011, 04:59 PM
Hmmm... maybe I should get out more, and it's been a while since I attended my last NEARFest...

KJ3N
09-29-2011, 05:46 PM
What the heck do you think Yonkers is ? Some highly secluded cloistered farm community in a remote valley surrounded on all sides by hundreds of miles of impassible mountains where the only connection to the outside world is a donkey cart that comes through once every 2 or 3 years ?

You mean, it's not? :shock: :stickpoke: :neener: :lol:

ab1ga
09-29-2011, 05:59 PM
You mean, it's not? :shock: :stickpoke: :neener: :lol:

No, it isn't; the donkey is pulling a rusted out Chevy, not a cart. :)

W1GUH
09-29-2011, 06:22 PM
Westchester people have a problem thinking there's anywhere but Westchester.

n2ize
09-29-2011, 07:35 PM

That's bull. That's a load of load of bull. And such stereotyping. But I can;t blame them if it were true. Westchester is a great county to live in. It's still quite prosperous despite the economy, plenty of jobs here, huge amount of ethnic diversity, lots of new construction for low and middle income folks, low crime rate, excellent transportation, superb fire and police protection, friendly cops who recognize you and politely say hello when they see you (unlike NYC's finest) and most important, close proximity to the city. I can be in the centre of Manhattan and in 20-35 minutes be walking down a quiet, tree lined street and lovely old homes with a diverse range of architectural styles, and into the door of my 2 story colonial. Not to mention the range of excellent restaurants ranging from the best pizza in the country to the most elaborate dining suites. All only a couple minutes away. It's easy to imagine how one can forget that there is any place outside of Westchester.

NQ6U
09-29-2011, 11:37 PM

A New Yorker's view of the world:

http://www.linesandcolors.com/images/2006-01/steinberg_352.jpg

KJ3N
09-30-2011, 06:58 AM
No, it isn't; the donkey is pulling a rusted out Chevy, not a cart. :)

I thought that was Kentucky (http://creationmuseum.org/).

W3MIV
09-30-2011, 07:42 AM
You folks landscape around the rocks (boulders) in your front yards. Impressed the hell outta me!

Hell, you don't have to go that far for that. Short drive up to Washington County in Maryland will give you all the rocks in yards and fields you want, front yards too. Makes Loudoun look like a marshland. Locals tell me that rocks are the biggest crop in Washington County next to dairy.

W2NAP
09-30-2011, 10:27 AM
to far away for me

suddenseer
09-30-2011, 10:54 AM
I thought that was Kentucky (http://creationmuseum.org/).Last I heard the Cincinnati Zoo expanded, they put a fence around Kentucky.

suddenseer
09-30-2011, 11:04 AM
AGAIN?????

F'ing SUPER hamfest. Lots and lots and lots of goodies, good times, great friendly hams. IMHO, a lot more fun than Dayton.

To begin with, Dayton's in OH...'nuff said.

For Dayton, you HAVE to book a room or (maybe -- if you don't get busted by the gendarmes) sleep in your car.

At Deerfield, you camp (if you want to) right there, anywhere.)

The flea market is "generally" equivalent. No, it's not the huge Collins and Drake get-together as Dayton, but the vintage stuff is always there in abundance.

C'mon up to New Hampshire. You won't regret it.Looks like you are the solo Islander. Boy, you do get around. I bet it is allot of fun. I don't have the $ to go very far from home. I do commute to Dayton to work. I bet most of those ham fests are fun. When I had the $, I just didn't have the time. Now that I have the time, I don't have the $.

WØTKX
09-30-2011, 11:09 AM
Pour your bloody Mary
We are down here on our knees
Our high priests speak of freedom, but they all dangle keys
I have stood here and listened to their sermons and their dreams
And I believe in no one now
I believe in no one now

Polish up this madness
Murder me with smiles
Our song has become what our middlemen decide
How invisible it all bleeds when youre laughing in your highs
I believe in no one now
I believe in no one now

Do the right, do the right thing
Do the right, do the right thing

It hurts doesnt it?
Your whole damn world falling out from under you
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water
Your bag of silly tricks, still dragging you down, drowning you
One more, green bottle
It wont hurt for too long more, I promise you
Say hello to promise
No miracles, no trigger men, no codswallop
No charlatans
My words will turn your heart into a bright day tomorrow if youll let them
Bet your hand on it my friends

Revolution

http://youtu.be/nFbqU_SXJFY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFbqU_SXJFY

(http://youtu.be/nFbqU_SXJFY)

W3MIV
09-30-2011, 11:30 AM
If any of you see me at any hamfest, please call 911 immediately and inform the authorities that I have been kidnapped and am being held hostage as well as subjected to cruel and unusual punishment.

I'd rather spend the night with Christine O'Donnell...

n2ize
09-30-2011, 11:39 AM
If any of you see me at any hamfest, please call 911 immediately and inform the authorities that I have been kidnapped and am being held hostage as well as subjected to cruel and unusual punishment.

Whats could be better than spending the day around a bunch of fat guys who smell like they haven't bathed or showered in decades ? :snicker:

W3WN
09-30-2011, 12:05 PM
What the heck do you think Yonkers is ? < snip >Sometimes I think some people think of Yonkers in terms of Hello, Dolly. Go easy on him.

But you do need to get out more. Exercise. Fresh Air. Times Square... oh, wait, never mind, I've got the theme song from an old TV show stuck in my head now...

W3WN
09-30-2011, 12:07 PM

I'd rather spend the night with Christine O'Donnell...Ah, OK, but I'm not withdrawing my standing invitation to come to WASHFest. I'll even buy you a cup of coffee...

n2ize
09-30-2011, 01:55 PM
Sometimes I think some people think of Yonkers in terms of Hello, Dolly. Go easy on him.

But you do need to get out more. Exercise. Fresh Air. Times Square... oh, wait, never mind, I've got the theme song from an old TV show stuck in my head now...

Times Square was always a crappy area and I always did my best to avoid it. In the old days it was a mess of x-rated sleaze shops with all sorts of petty hoods and sleazy street hustlers preying on tourists and folks from out of town. Then Guiliani and Bloomberg "cleaned up" Times square by bringing in all sorts of trendy overpriced yuppie restaurants, Disney, and assorted tourist traps. Basically replaced one bunch of thugs with another bunch of thugs.

W3WN
09-30-2011, 03:05 PM
Times Square was always a crappy area and I always did my best to avoid it. In the old days it was a mess of x-rated sleaze shops with all sorts of petty hoods and sleazy street hustlers preying on tourists and folks from out of town. Then Guiliani and Bloomberg "cleaned up" Times square by bringing in all sorts of trendy overpriced yuppie restaurants, Disney, and assorted tourist traps. Basically replaced one bunch of thugs with another bunch of thugs.Funny you should mention that.

A lot of people think Times Square resembles either what they (think they) see on the New Years Eve telecasts year round, or a slightly modernized version (without the dance steps, of course) of the version that you see in Guys and Dolls. It used to be a lot sleazier, sad to say... now it's been Disneyfied into a virtual tourist trap.

That said... well John, I know YOU will understand this, but those who aren't familiar with the City won't. I can also remember travelling to NYC with a group from High School. I don't remember all of the details, but it involved travelling to several places in and around Greenwich Village after seeing a play. Everyone else was scared stiff that they were going to be mugged or worse. So when we went to this one lounge to hear some jazz, and I refused to pay the cover charge (since I wasn't drinking & didn't care for their other soft drink selections... at the time, $5 for a cup of $.25 coffee? Outrageous).

So, I bowed out, went down to Nathan's, had the best hot dog I'd had since we moved from NNJ to EPA, and met them at the next stop. The chaperones were scared spitless that Something Bad Had Or Could Have Happened -- after all, it was the big bad city. Me? Nah. I knew I had nothing to worry about. I just didn't act like a tourist. (Of course, it didn't hurt that at the time, my dad was involved with the WSOAE, and we spent three weekends in the Village twice a year exhibiting, so I knew my way around!)

W3MIV
09-30-2011, 06:18 PM
Ah, OK, but I'm not withdrawing my standing invitation to come to WASHFest. I'll even buy you a cup of coffee...

I wonder that you really draw a crowd with such a threatening name. Threatening, at least, to the average hamfest wanderer of my familiarity. Like waving a bar of Octagon at Linus's buddy Pig Pen.

n2ize
10-01-2011, 01:16 AM
Funny you should mention that.

A lot of people think Times Square resembles either what they (think they) see on the New Years Eve telecasts year round, or a slightly modernized version (without the dance steps, of course) of the version that you see in Guys and Dolls. It used to be a lot sleazier, sad to say... now it's been Disneyfied into a virtual tourist trap.

That said... well John, I know YOU will understand this, but those who aren't familiar with the City won't. I can also remember travelling to NYC with a group from High School. I don't remember all of the details, but it involved travelling to several places in and around Greenwich Village after seeing a play. Everyone else was scared stiff that they were going to be mugged or worse. So when we went to this one lounge to hear some jazz, and I refused to pay the cover charge (since I wasn't drinking & didn't care for their other soft drink selections... at the time, $5 for a cup of $.25 coffee? Outrageous).

So, I bowed out, went down to Nathan's, had the best hot dog I'd had since we moved from NNJ to EPA, and met them at the next stop. The chaperones were scared spitless that Something Bad Had Or Could Have Happened -- after all, it was the big bad city. Me? Nah. I knew I had nothing to worry about. I just didn't act like a tourist. (Of course, it didn't hurt that at the time, my dad was involved with the WSOAE, and we spent three weekends in the Village twice a year exhibiting, so I knew my way around!)

Manhattan was always relatively safe, even during the notorious era of crime and apathy of the 1960's and 70's. Of course there were always certain areas where you had to be careful and keep an eye on who was walking behind you. But the crime and the fear of becoming a crime victim was intensified further during the 1970's with films like "Death Wish", which essentially created the impression round the country that Manhattan was a haven for deadly murderers and brutal criminals lurking in every doorway and on every corner and the people who lived or worked there were merely waiting to become statistics. In reality, and as you saw, it was not the case.

Actually the real action was not in Manhattan but in parts of the outer boroughs. For example the South Bronx was a very rough crime ridden area during the mid-late 60's and 70's which had a good share of the violent crime yet even there the vast majority of the crimes were petty theft, muggings and burglaries when nobody was home, mostly driven by desperate folks in need of fast drug money. Not to mention the South Bronx was the fire capital of the world as shady landlords torched building after building to collect on the insurance. They often hired local junkies to set the places up. As a child I witnessed a torch job as I looked across the rear yard behind my Grandfathers house and into the windows of a vacant tenement across the yard. 5 minutes later the FDNY was washing it down. Burned and vacant the buildings were turned into drug hangouts.

Parts of South Yonkers were just as bad or even worst, as a matter of fact there are still to date some extremely rough areas in South Yonkers where I would not advise anyone venture into during the day, let alone at night.

W2NAP
10-01-2011, 10:34 AM
people think NYC is bad they should have stopped in Gary,IN

NQ6U
10-01-2011, 11:09 AM

Hell, I'd walk through Manhattan at midnight ten times before I'd walk through Gary once at noon.

n2ize
10-01-2011, 11:24 AM

I didn't know Gary In was bad. I heard a lot about Detroit being a mess but I didn't know Gary was a mess to.

n2ize
10-01-2011, 11:30 AM
Hell, I'd walk through Manhattan at midnight ten times before I'd walk through Gary once at noon.

Heck I waklked through Manhattan many times at midnight and even at 3:00 - 5:00 in the morning and never had any problems. And this was back when Manhattan still had some rough streets. The only time I was ever assaulted in Manhattan was on East 14th street near the IRT subway. Some schizo who was walking in front of me suddenly whirled around and punched me in the face as he screamed "keep away from me!!". He probably though I was come to put him back in the nut house with the rest of the squirrels. :).

The South Bronx in the 70's and early 80's was much rougher. I was attacked twice there. Once chased with a knife and another time attacked and my arm was cut up by a guy with a broken bottle.

These days Manhattan is all rich yuppies and rich Wall Street guys. They rob you in different ways. You don;t have to go near Manhattan to get robbed by them. ;)

W1GUH
10-01-2011, 12:05 PM

Wow. Guess you've got your reasons -- I just can't relate to the whole anti-hamest attitude...but....whatever floats and all.

General announcement to all....

In all of the hamfests I've been to since '90 I have never encountered one of those "smelly hams" that we all have so much fun talking about. Not once! Understand, I'm not out there sticking my nose in underarms and maybe if I was I would have encountered some, but just the usual milling around hasn't yielded ANY of them. And, the only place where scooters were any kind of issue was Dayton -- and there it wasn't all that much of an issue.

Asshole vendors? Rarely encounter them, too. About the only thing to mention there is some think their stuff is worth more than I do. But that's all in the game, and hasn't happened with a lot of the BA's I've seen and bought.

Mostly I meet really good guys who love radio! And it's fun to hang and reminisce with other old farts. That, plus hamfests are a great source of components -- especially the vintage stuff.

W3WN
10-01-2011, 12:27 PM
< snip >
In all of the hamfests I've been to since '90 I have never encountered one of those "smelly hams" that we all have so much fun talking about. Not once! Understand, I'm not out there sticking my nose in underarms and maybe if I was I would have encountered some, but just the usual milling around hasn't yielded ANY of them.
< snip >You've been lucky. Unfortunately, I have. Fortunately, they have been very, very few.

I usually have a table at a hamfest, so they come to me (sooner or later). (Most of the time, if I don't find any treasures to take home, it gives me a chance to break even or even have a few bucks to go home with.)

It's worse at WASHFest, since I'm a club officer (even when I'm not strong-armed serving as President), as I make a point to try and greet everyone and thank them for coming. Might be one of the reasons why people like coming, we try and make them feel welcome. So I've learned that for certain hams, well, mentally hold the nose and keep the 1 on 1 time to a minimum.

Oh, Albi? Good one. Of course, the "WASH" in WASHFest comes from the club's initials. But as I believe I've mentioned before, the location has a unique advantage. We rent the Memorial Hall (Bingo parlor) from the local VFD, and it straddles a tributary of Saw Mill Run. Show up too stinky, we hand you a bar of soap & then toss you into the creek.

In February.

Hope they normally enjoy cold showers... :evil:

KJ3N
10-01-2011, 12:34 PM
In all of the hamfests I've been to since '90 I have never encountered one of those "smelly hams" that we all have so much fun talking about. Not once! Understand, I'm not out there sticking my nose in underarms and maybe if I was I would have encountered some, but just the usual milling around hasn't yielded ANY of them.

I have. I've even run into them at the HRO in Delaware. One guy in particular was so bad that the odor lingered in the store for nearly an hour. :yuck: :vomit:

Asshole vendors? Rarely encounter them, too. About the only thing to mention there is some think their stuff is worth more than I do. But that's all in the game, and hasn't happened with a lot of the BA's I've seen and bought.

Mostly I meet really good guys who love radio! And it's fun to hang and reminisce with other old farts. That, plus hamfests are a great source of components -- especially the vintage stuff.

Maybe that's part of why I don't go to hamfests. I'm not into BA's at all. They hold no fascination for me. Give me a reasonably modern, solid-state rig and I'm happy. Tube amps are about as close to BA as I get.

W1GUH
10-01-2011, 12:47 PM
You've been lucky. Unfortunately, I have. Fortunately, they have been very, very few.

I usually have a table at a hamfest, so they come to me (sooner or later). (Most of the time, if I don't find any treasures to take home, it gives me a chance to break even or even have a few bucks to go home with.)

It's worse at WASHFest, since I'm a club officer (even when I'm not strong-armed serving as President), as I make a point to try and greet everyone and thank them for coming. Might be one of the reasons why people like coming, we try and make them feel welcome. So I've learned that for certain hams, well, mentally hold the nose and keep the 1 on 1 time to a minimum.

Oh, Albi? Good one. Of course, the "WASH" in WASHFest comes from the club's initials. But as I believe I've mentioned before, the location has a unique advantage. We rent the Memorial Hall (Bingo parlor) from the local VFD, and it straddles a tributary of Saw Mill Run. Show up too stinky, we hand you a bar of soap & then toss you into the creek.

In February.

Hope they normally enjoy cold showers... :evil:

Don't forget to pass out copies of those "instruction" from engrish.com!!! There could be hams that can afford soap but just don't know how to use it.

W3MIV
10-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Hope they normally enjoy cold showers...

From what I have seen, the usual clientele of most hamfests are probably accustomed to cold showers, since they have little recourse to any other outlet for whatever ardor may be natural to them. Like WalMart people, the term "rut" most likely means a groove in the road.

W3WN
10-03-2011, 10:45 AM
From what I have seen, the usual clientele of most hamfests are probably accustomed to cold showers, since they have little recourse to any other outlet for whatever ardor may be natural to them. Like WalMart people, the term "rut" most likely means a groove in the road.Ah. So you've met N3GLV then. My sympathies.