PDA

View Full Version : Last Day of the Regular Baseball Season

NQ6U
09-28-2011, 11:34 AM
Any predictions for the post-season? Starting of with the obvious:

The Phillies are a good bet to win the NL Pennant. They've been damned near unstoppable all season.
Even if the Braves do manage to win the NL wildcard (they're currently tied with the Cards) they'll blow it in the playoffs, as usual.
Although the Diamondbacks are the strongest team in the NL West, that ain't saying much. They don't have the depth to go far in the playoffs.
So, how 'bout them Rays? Do you think they're going to win the AL wildcard? And the Tigers—can they beat the Yankees?

W4GPL
09-28-2011, 01:01 PM
I have no predictions, but seeing as I live & work next to Coors Field, thank fuck the season is over. :P I was so happy when they finished their last home game the other day.

W3WN
09-28-2011, 02:26 PM
I have no predictions, but seeing as I live & work next to Coors Field, thank fuck the season is over. :P I was so happy when they finished their last home game the other day.Gee, I wish I'd know that when I was in Denver a few years back...
Predictions:

The Cardinals take the NL Wild Card.
The Rays take the AL Wild Card.
Red Sox Nation blames the Curse of the Bambino. I don't know who or what the Braves fans blame.

I don't see the Phillies losing the NL Pennant, although the Brewers are hot right now. OTOH, the Brewers are desperately trying to secure the #2 seed so that they don't play Philly in the first round. And why the hell does anyone pitch to Prince Fielder late in a tie game with a man on, when he's already hit two HR's in the game? [Because you're a rookie pitcher? Or because the manager told you to, to see how you would do, since it's a lost season anyway?]

Both the Rays and the Tigers can beat the Yankees if they don't beat themselves first. The Yankees had a strong finish this month to win the AL East, but they can be had.

I think the Tigers beat the Phillies for the World Series, but it will be close. Wouldn't surprise me if the Series goes 7 games, and if it does, then it's almost a coin flip.

w2amr
09-28-2011, 04:28 PM
Gee, I wish I'd know that when I was in Denver a few years back...
Predictions:

Red Sox Nation blames the Curse of the Bambino. I don't know who or what the Braves fans blame.

I don't see the Phillies losing the NL Pennant, although the Brewers are hot right now. OTOH, the Brewers are desperately trying to secure the #2 seed so that they don't play Philly in the first round. And why the hell does anyone pitch to Prince Fielder late in a tie game with a man on, when he's already hit two HR's in the game? [Because you're a rookie pitcher? Or because the manager told you to, to see how you would do, since it's a lost season anyway?]

Both the Rays and the Tigers can beat the Yankees if they don't beat themselves first. The Yankees had a strong finish this month to win the AL East, but they can be had.

I think the Tigers beat the Phillies for the World Series, but it will be close. Wouldn't surprise me if the Series goes 7 games, and if it does, then it's almost a coin flip.The Phillies have the best starting pitching staff in the majors, I don't see that happening.

W1GUH
09-28-2011, 04:35 PM
Of course, I'm the most impartial, dispassionate of observers (yea, sure!!!), but I say Tigers all the way!

1) Anything can happen in the post season and, in 2006, when they were very green, they got to the WS. Pity they made a bajillion errors.

2) Their Aug. and Sept. record's as good, or probably even better than anyone's.

3) They won their division without a hint of a collapse (like....that 12 game winning streak).

4) Last series with the Rays, the were 3 out of 4.

5) A pitching staff to die for. Verlander (triple crown winner) plus at least 2 ( and probably 3 after tonight) 15 game winners.

6) A totally explosive lineup that can score mucho runs with 2 out.

7) Two setup men who really, really shut 'em down.

8) A 48-0 closer.

Who else has that kind of numbers? Screw Philly - they can go eat their cheese steaks. The Yanks? Remember '06. Already covered the Rays. The Rangers? Might be a problem. Anyone else? Not a chance.

"Go Get 'em, Tigers!!!!!"

w2amr
09-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Time will tell.

W1GUH
09-28-2011, 04:41 PM
The Phillies have the best starting pitching staff in the majors, I don't see that happening.

We all kid ourselves from time to time...

Let's see...what's the team from filthydelphia got in the way of starters?

Wins...

18, 17, 14, 11

Tigers...

24, 15, 15, 14

Best? go f yourself.

ERA?

.235, .240, .275, .303

OK...you got it there....but against the Tiger's line-up. Good freakin' luck.

It's the wins that count.

OK....a Cheese Steak for a Brisket sandwich?

ad4mg
09-28-2011, 06:08 PM
Verlander's a local boy to me. My son went to the Richmond Baseball Academy a year after Justin left. If I remember right, the kid was throwing 100 mph in college. Never got to see him play high school ball, he was from west of Richmond, Goochland or Louisa County school system. We played most of our ball east of the city. Lots of quality baseball here in central Virginia!

Good to see the boy do well!

BTW, the Braves will lose miserably tonight to Philly just because their lame asses pulled their AAA farm club outta Richmond after 20+ years here a few years ago.

W1GUH
09-28-2011, 06:12 PM
Forgot to put in the list...

Another pitcher who, had he been a Tiger all season would've had at least 15 wins.

And he's got a GREAT name...Fister!

W3WN
09-28-2011, 06:46 PM
The Phillies have the best starting pitching staff in the majors, I don't see that happening.Even the best pitchers make mistakes. And pitching isn't everything.

Well, we'll find out soon enough.

NQ6U
09-28-2011, 07:30 PM
My prediction for the Series? Seattle Pilots vs. Montreal Expos.

W4GPL
09-28-2011, 08:40 PM
Gee, I wish I'd know that when I was in Denver a few years back... I wasn't here a few years back, but if you're ever in town and want to go to a Rockies game, let me know. We get hundreds of free tickets throughout the season. Same goes for anyone else..

W1GUH
09-28-2011, 09:00 PM
So Porcello didn't get his 15th. But Valverde finished the season 49-0.

N2NH
09-28-2011, 11:39 PM
The Red Sux STILL Suck. All is normal with the world again. (BTW, glad to see the Braves blew it too). Gonna be an interesting post-season. I like the Yankees, but no predictions here either. Ended that with the '69 Mets. I predicted on Feb. 1st, 1969 that the Mets would win the World Series. When they were 13 games behind, I told an Orioles fan (they were in first at the time) that the Mets would beat them in the Series (helped that he hated NYC). When Seaver lost the first game, I said the Mets would not lose another game.That's enough for one lifetime. :lol:

N2NH
09-28-2011, 11:51 PM
Wrong century Carlo. Personally I wouldn't mind a series with the Brooklyn Dodgers vs. the Washington Senators, but that's not happening either. If there's a Heaven, there's a Dodger team still playing in Brooklyn.

w2amr
09-29-2011, 04:48 AM
Of course, I'm the most impartial, dispassionate of observers (yea, sure!!!), but I say Tigers all the way!

1) Anything can happen in the post season and, in 2006, when they were very green, they got to the WS. Pity they made a bajillion errors.

2) Their Aug. and Sept. record's as good, or probably even better than anyone's.

3) They won their division without a hint of a collapse (like....that 12 game winning streak).

4) Last series with the Rays, the were 3 out of 4.

5) A pitching staff to die for. Verlander (triple crown winner) plus at least 2 ( and probably 3 after tonight) 15 game winners.

6) A totally explosive lineup that can score mucho runs with 2 out.

7) Two setup men who really, really shut 'em down.

8) A 48-0 closer.

Who else has that kind of numbers? Screw Philly - they can go eat their cheese steaks. The Yanks? Remember '06. Already covered the Rays. The Rangers? Might be a problem. Anyone else? Not a chance.

"Go Get 'em, Tigers!!!!!"Lets see. The phillies have 5 straight divisional titles, Won the NLCS 2 out of 3 years, and won the world series 3 years ago. This is the first time the tigers have even made the playoffs in 4 years. Maybe you should hold off running your mouth until your team actually wins something.

w2amr
09-29-2011, 04:51 AM
Opps, almost forgot. The phillies had the best record in baseball this year. And won 102 games.:yes:

suddenseer
09-29-2011, 05:48 AM
Gee, I wish I'd know that when I was in Denver a few years back...
Predictions:

I think the Tigers beat the Phillies for the World Series, but it will be close. Wouldn't surprise me if the Series goes 7 games, and if it does, then it's almost a coin flip.You nailed it. Of course George is happy. I would like to see the Phillies go all the way. As a Red's fan, I will wait till next year.

suddenseer
09-29-2011, 05:58 AM
My prediction for the Series? Seattle Pilots vs. Montreal Expos.Mine is the Brooklyn Dodger's vs the Philadelphia Athletics.

suddenseer
09-29-2011, 06:02 AM
I still dream of an interstate 71 World Series. That would be the Red's vs. The Indian's. Dream on.:sleep:

W1GUH
09-29-2011, 07:25 AM
Lets see. The phillies have 5 straight divisional titles, Won the NLCS 2 out of 3 years, and won the world series 3 years ago. This is the first time the tigers have even made the playoffs in 4 years. Maybe you should hold off running your mouth until your team actually wins something.

History don't mean shit in the post season! :neener:

As proven by the Yanks in 2001, 2002,203....

What have you done for me TODAY?

W1GUH
09-29-2011, 07:26 AM
Opps, almost forgot. The phillies had the best record in baseball this year. And won 102 games.:yes:

Yea, but they faded in Sept. Tigers were 20-6, or something like that.

So, we on for cheese steak and Pastrami?

W1GUH
09-29-2011, 10:10 AM
Just call me a linkbot!!!

Drew Sharp: A Tigers playoff series in New York? No sweat (http://www.freep.com/article/20110929/COL08/109290584/Drew-Sharp-Tigers-playoff-series-New-York-No-sweat)

Starting playoffs on the road? No problem for Tigers (http://www.freep.com/article/20110929/SPORTS02/109290555/Starting-playoffs-road-No-problem-Tigers)

It's a hassle when the Tigers play the Yanks, and obviously that's extreme in the post-season. I love 'em both* and, really, want 'em both to win. Just wish it set up that they'd meet in the second round. (Yep, they would have if the match-ups worked out that way.)

Makes it difficult to watch in a bar. I would NEVER be so crass and so stupid (like Red Sux fans) to cheer against the Yanks in NY, which wouldn't be the intent at all, Yet...when the Tigers do something good I of course have a strong impulse to do the proverbial fist-pump and yell. Probably best off watching at home!

*Historically, Tiger fans don't hate the Yanks, we LOVE the Yanks. Back in the days of Mantle, Berra, McDougal, Kubek, Martin, et al, Yankee games were the ones to go to in the old Briggs Stadium (nee: Tiger Stadium). You got to see the Yanks, already! And, somehow, even in the years they pretty much sucked (most years in the 50's and 60's), they had a knack for beating the Yanks. And, in those days, the Yanks in the World Series was what ought to be. Heck, it still is...pity they've forgotten how to dominate in the post-season since that unbelievable run (14-0 in the WS? When will THAT record be broken?) in '96-'00?

suddenseer
09-29-2011, 10:47 AM

So, we on for cheese steak and Pastrami?Actually, a real Philly Cheese Steak uses Cheeze Wiz.

NA4BH
09-29-2011, 11:13 AM
Went to the Twins season Enders last night. Nice field.

NQ6U
09-29-2011, 11:16 AM
Mine is the Brooklyn Dodger's vs the Philadelphia Athletics.

Homestead Grays vs Philadelphia Stars?

w2amr
09-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Mine is the Brooklyn Dodger's vs the Philadelphia Athletics.Oh, hold the phone. I'll get somebody to dig up Connie Mack.

W3WN
09-29-2011, 12:43 PM
My prediction for the Series? Seattle Pilots vs. Montreal Expos.Nice try, but not possible.

Two reasons: They're now in the same League, and the Expos didn't make the playoffs.

W3WN
09-29-2011, 12:44 PM
I wasn't here a few years back, but if you're ever in town and want to go to a Rockies game, let me know. We get hundreds of free tickets throughout the season. Same goes for anyone else..I was sent to a conference in Denver. Had I known that there was a home game going on those evenings, I would have blown off the cocktail party... so I will keep this in mind if and when I ever get back.

w2amr
09-29-2011, 12:46 PM

So, we on for cheese steak and Pastrami? After they clinched the division and homefield advantage, they were playing a bunch of minor leagers to rest the regulars.
Nah, I'm not going to bet, You will be feeling bad enough when the tigers don't even make to to the world series.:mrgreen:

W3WN
09-29-2011, 12:52 PM
Just call me a linkbot!!!

Drew Sharp: A Tigers playoff series in New York? No sweat (http://www.freep.com/article/20110929/COL08/109290584/Drew-Sharp-Tigers-playoff-series-New-York-No-sweat)

Starting playoffs on the road? No problem for Tigers (http://www.freep.com/article/20110929/SPORTS02/109290555/Starting-playoffs-road-No-problem-Tigers)

It's a hassle when the Tigers play the Yanks, and obviously that's extreme in the post-season. I love 'em both* and, really, want 'em both to win. Just wish it set up that they'd meet in the second round. (Yep, they would have if the match-ups worked out that way.)

Makes it difficult to watch in a bar. I would NEVER be so crass and so stupid (like Red Sux fans) to cheer against the Yanks in NY, which wouldn't be the intent at all, Yet...when the Tigers do something good I of course have a strong impulse to do the proverbial fist-pump and yell. Probably best off watching at home!

*Historically, Tiger fans don't hate the Yanks, we LOVE the Yanks. Back in the days of Mantle, Berra, McDougal, Kubek, Martin, et al, Yankee games were the ones to go to in the old Briggs Stadium (nee: Tiger Stadium). You got to see the Yanks, already! And, somehow, even in the years they pretty much sucked (most years in the 50's and 60's), they had a knack for beating the Yanks. And, in those days, the Yanks in the World Series was what ought to be. Heck, it still is...pity they've forgotten how to dominate in the post-season since that unbelievable run (14-0 in the WS? When will THAT record be broken?) in '96-'00?I went to my frat's national convention in Ann Arbor one year (what a waste of time and money that was, but never mind). The Yankees were playing at the Tigers, so I went with another Yankee fan to the game the first night. First time I was ever frisked going into a stadium, which should have been the first clue.

We started off over by third base, IIRC, and moved around, ending up in the outfield. And enjoying the game immensely, the Yankees were destroying the Tigers that night. Suddenly, it dawns on both of us... we're in the middle of downtown Detroit, surrounded by hostile people, cheering, but not for the home team... we're in deep trouble.

Of course, our ride is no where to be found. So we calmly got the hell out of there and hailed a cab.

The cabbie charged us each the full fare back to the hotel, and we gladly paid it!

W3WN
09-29-2011, 12:54 PM
After they clinched the division and homefield advantage, they were playing a bunch of minor leagers to rest the regulars.
Nah, I'm not going to bet, You will be feeling bad enough when the tigers don't even make to to the world series.:mrgreen:That's what got the Rays the wild card. The Yankee starters? 7 - 0 pinstripes. The starters get pulled, and the bench players & September call-ups take over... next thing it's 7 - 7, then they lose 8 - 7.

Now, is it entirely coincidental that this happens minutes after the Red Sox lose? Would the Yankees really throw the game to keep the Red Sox out of the playoffs?

NQ6U
09-29-2011, 01:04 PM
Now, is it entirely coincidental that this happens minutes after the Red Sox lose? Would the Yankees really throw the game to keep the Red Sox out of the playoffs?

You know, the very same thought crossed my mind. One has to wonder if Wade served Johnson up a nice, fat pitch right over the plate...

N2NH
09-29-2011, 10:54 PM
Sterling sez that kinda talk is bull. OTOH, I hafta agree that if you clinch you have to protect your key players, especially the bullpen. Mariano isn't getting any younger and the pen was overworked since the Yanks only had one day off since August making up rainouts. Heck, there were at least 3 double-headers this month on makeup games. Phillies looked cold losing 8 in a row with their incredible pitching staff. Letdown or are they in a rut? Three minutes separated the Boston loss and the Rays win. Three minutes for the Bosux to blow the season, but who can complain? The Red Sux won 7 games in the whole month of September. If you don't make your own luck in this game, you don't have any reason to cry. Still, I'll bet that Red Sux Nation will do that until February of next year... ESPN Radio was playing a crying baby with Bosux players excuses for their abysmal collapse. ESPN TV commentators were busting out trying not to get hysterical over the Beantown blowout. I've been humming all day - Red Sox Suck. AGAIN! BWAAAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!

N2NH
09-29-2011, 11:40 PM
According to NESN. Did this Jinx the Bosux? WTF is in the water in New England??http://bleedingyankeeblue.blogspot.com/2011/01/why-boston-sucks-part-ii.html

N7YA
09-30-2011, 05:59 AM
Its such a bad day in Boston for sports in general, even my lowly, rebuilding Senators beat a clearly superior Bruins team. Granted, it was the last game of preseason, but the B's outshot the Sens 40-20, and just plain skated around them all game. Yet, the Sens still beat them with a bunch of green rookies...whats happening in Beantown??

W3WN
09-30-2011, 12:12 PM
Sterling sez that kinda talk is bull. OTOH, I hafta agree that if you clinch you have to protect your key players, especially the bullpen. Mariano isn't getting any younger and the pen was overworked since the Yanks only had one day off since August making up rainouts. Heck, there were at least 3 double-headers this month on makeup games. Phillies looked cold losing 8 in a row with their incredible pitching staff. Letdown or are they in a rut? Three minutes separated the Boston loss and the Rays win. Three minutes for the Bosux to blow the season, but who can complain? The Red Sux won 7 games in the whole month of September. If you don't make your own luck in this game, you don't have any reason to cry. Still, I'll bet that Red Sux Nation will do that until February of next year... ESPN Radio was playing a crying baby with Bosux players excuses for their abysmal collapse. ESPN TV commentators were busting out trying not to get hysterical over the Beantown blowout. I've been humming all day - Red Sox Suck. AGAIN! BWAAAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!My boss is from Boston. He's been pretty quiet the last few days. And he knows I grew up in NNJ as a Yankee fan... so I'm keeping my yap shut and tip-toe-ing around through the rest of the day, he should be OK come Monday.

While it may be fun to speculate that the Yankees deliberately gave up that run to put the last nail in the Red Sox coffin, you are exactly right... the Sox have only themselves to blame, winning only 7 games is what truly sealed their own fate.

I would have liked to see Tim Wakefield in the playoffs... and, for that matter, Jack Wilson (even though he wasn't eligible to be on the post-season roster, but he could still have been there), but neither was meant to be.

W1GUH
10-01-2011, 12:10 PM
I went to my frat's national convention in Ann Arbor one year (what a waste of time and money that was, but never mind). The Yankees were playing at the Tigers, so I went with another Yankee fan to the game the first night. First time I was ever frisked going into a stadium, which should have been the first clue.

We started off over by third base, IIRC, and moved around, ending up in the outfield. And enjoying the game immensely, the Yankees were destroying the Tigers that night. Suddenly, it dawns on both of us... we're in the middle of downtown Detroit, surrounded by hostile people, cheering, but not for the home team... we're in deep trouble.

Of course, our ride is no where to be found. So we calmly got the hell out of there and hailed a cab.

The cabbie charged us each the full fare back to the hotel, and we gladly paid it!

Old Tiger Stadium, or the new ballpark?

Suddenly, it dawns on both of us... we're in the middle of downtown Detroit, surrounded by hostile people, cheering, but not for the home team... we're in deep trouble.

Ummmm....what happened? Anything besides you thought you were "in deep trouble?" Were you, actually?

N2NH
10-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Cano hit a grand slam and Nova is looking great. Cano just missed a 3 run homer the inning before (bad call). Hopefully they'll hold this one and get off to a winning start. Word is that the opening series will be extended from 5 games to 7 either next year or the year after that. Also they will have TWO wild card teams with a one game playoff in a couple of years. Yanks winning 8-1 over the Tigers in the eiight

n2ize
10-01-2011, 11:05 PM
I played for the Yankees under a different name. I made a spectacular catch to end an inning and bring on the playoffs years ago so I don't like to enter the fray.

w2amr
10-02-2011, 07:01 AM
I played for the Yankees under a different name. I made a spectacular catch to end an inning and bring on the playoffs years ago so I don't like to enter the fray.
I remember you when you played for the mets chico.
http://dallaspenn.com/pics/albums/album01/escuela.jpg

NQ6U
10-02-2011, 07:51 AM
Beisbol has been ver' ver' good to John.

w2amr
10-02-2011, 08:56 AM
Beisbol has been ver' ver' good to John.
I believe it's pronounced BERRY BERRY.

W3WN
10-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Old Tiger Stadium, or the new ballpark?Old. I'm almost afraid to tell you how far back this was, suffice to say, the WARC bands were only a line item on the WARC agenda.
Ummmm....what happened? Anything besides you thought you were "in deep trouble?" Were you, actually?
Well, the Yankees were winning by a huge score, something like 14 - 2. And the two of us are cheering them on, in the cheap seats, surrounded by an increasingly hostile crowd. Would anything have actually happened if we had stuck around longer? Who will ever know?

W3WN
10-02-2011, 01:11 PM
I played for the Yankees under a different name. I made a spectacular catch to end an inning and bring on the playoffs years ago so I don't like to enter the fray.Barkeep! If you please, get me a double of whatever that man's been drinking, and keep 'em coming!

w2amr
10-08-2011, 03:41 AM
History don't mean shit in the post season! :neener:

As proven by the Yanks in 2001, 2002,203....

What have you done for me TODAY?
Looks like you were right, their lack of hitting finally caught up to them. I can't believe it, Lost to the stinkin cardinals.

W1GUH
10-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Looks like you were right, their lack of hitting finally caught up to them. I can't believe it, Lost to the stinkin cardinals.

Sincere condolence -- that sucks. Fact is, when the Tigers won on Thursday the joy was very very tempered by seeing the Yanks go down ("In the fifth [game], their ass went down.")

Until the next morning, anyway. Then I came to my senses and wondered why I'd ever feel sorry for such multi-millionaires. A-rod would have helped the Yanks by flying his latest squeezes down to Argentina in his private jet for a party in his villa instead of showing up at the Stadium.

Looking for a Tigers-Cards rematch.

W3WN
10-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Looks like you were right, their lack of hitting finally caught up to them. I can't believe it, Lost to the stinkin cardinals.I expected better of the Phillies.

And the Brewers were afraid of the Phillies; they're not afraid of the Cardinals, at least not this year.

Looks like it may be a Great Lakes series... Tigers vs Brewers. We'll find out soon enough.

N7YA
10-08-2011, 06:07 PM
....and, one of your most expensive guys tore his achilles up on the last play. Thats just a slap in the nuts.

W1GUH
10-08-2011, 06:59 PM
I expected better of the Phillies.

And the Brewers were afraid of the Phillies; they're not afraid of the Cardinals, at least not this year.

Looks like it may be a Great Lakes series... Tigers vs Brewers. We'll find out soon enough.

That'd be a good one. It'd be better, tho', if Milwaukee didn't play in a domed stadium. At least the Tiger's park isn't - and late October in Detroit can be freakin' freezing.

No, wait, this is BASEBALL!!!! The game that SHOULD be played in the warm afternoon of golden October days. But the money assholes have no problem with perverting the sport for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

w2amr
10-09-2011, 04:40 AM
....and, one of your most expensive guys tore his achilles up on the last play. Thats just a slap in the nuts.
Well he has the entire off season to heal. Maybe he can also learn to stop swinging at breaking balls 8" off the plate.

w2amr
10-16-2011, 03:55 AM
After they clinched the division and homefield advantage, they were playing a bunch of minor leagers to rest the regulars.
Nah, I'm not going to bet, You will be feeling bad enough when the tigers don't even make to to the world series.:mrgreen: Heh heh heh heh:snicker:

PA5COR
10-16-2011, 06:22 AM
http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2011/10/oranje_wins_baseball_world_cup.php

The Netherlands has beaten Cuba 2-1 to win the baseball World Cup in Panama.
Oranje is only the second European team to win the World Cup (Britain won in 1938) and played a game 'close to perfection', according to the International Baseball Federation website (http://www.ibaf.org/en/news/2011/10/16/the-netherlands-win-the-ibaf-world-cup/a3afab07-8bb7-4996-b3b9-08ad3a764b96).

lol

W4GPL
10-19-2011, 11:16 PM
I'm not enough of a fan to be demanding one thing or another, but after tonight's blown call -- should the MLB not have some limited form of instant replay? Yeesh.

Edit: Mr. Olbermann thinks so too -- http://keitholbermann.mlblogs.com/2011/10/20/for-heavens-sake-replay/

suddenseer
10-20-2011, 06:21 AM
That'd be a good one. It'd be better, tho', if Milwaukee didn't play in a domed stadium. At least the Tiger's park isn't - and late October in Detroit can be freakin' freezing.

No, wait, this is BASEBALL!!!! The game that SHOULD be played in the warm afternoon of golden October days. But the money assholes have no problem with perverting the sport for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.The over 50 thing is permeating my brain. I remember in grade school the principal would pipe the World Series broadcast through the school's PA system. Looking back, I was lucky to have uber cool teachers, and principals. Go Cards!!!

K7SGJ
10-21-2011, 08:50 AM
The over 50 thing is permeating my brain. I remember in grade school the principal would pipe the World Series broadcast through the school's PA system. Looking back, I was lucky to have uber cool teachers, and principals. Go Cards!!!

When in early grade school, the teachers were allowed to bring in a portable TV and we watched the series. At that time, baseball WAS the American pastime. Somewhere, the baseball spirit got lost. Kinda sad really. We were always trying to get a game going somewhere in the neighborhood. Might be that football overtook it.

W1GUH
10-21-2011, 09:44 PM
When in early grade school, the teachers were allowed to bring in a portable TV and we watched the series. At that time, baseball WAS the American pastime. Somewhere, the baseball spirit got lost. Kinda sad really. We were always trying to get a game going somewhere in the neighborhood. Might be that football overtook it.

Uh-huh. I really, really noticed football's dominance as something that kids should do. I LOVED playing baseball, but had to wait for my birthday to get a good glove. But in the fifth grade, for some weird reason that I never figured out, I impulsively went out for the school football team. The coach told us (who, BTW, was a really, really hot blonde chick! Pity I was so young!) we needed a helmet and shoulder pads for practice the next day. So I went home and told my parents at dinner time what I needed, fully expecting to be told no (maybe even hoping they'd say no) but, to my total surprise, we went right downtown to get me equipment.

But was there a way I could play organized baseball regularly? Nope. Nope.

The neighborhood softball and sometimes baseball games in a vacant lot were better than nothing, but I never got to wear a uniform.

Oh, and GO CARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!