PDA

View Full Version : Recommended - Ultra Edit and Beyond Compare

W1GUH
09-26-2011, 11:18 AM
Use those two at work all the time.

Ultra Edit (http://www.ultraedit.com/)is a text editor that's easy to use and has a small footprint. Come with a free trial and it's not that expensive. Use it here a lot for c/c++ code, it's also a great way to make/edit random .txt and .bat files. Has a lot of useful features.

Beyond Compare (http://www.scootersoftware.com/)is also easy to use and has a small footprint. It, too, comes with a free trial and it's not that expensive. Use it all the time to merge new code into an existing build. It's also outsanding for backing up files (it'll compare a whole folder) and sync'ing folders. There a great and intuitive gui showing two folders and what's in each, and copying the files is EASY!

OTOH...it's very name is a bad pun! Bad sign?

ad4mg
09-26-2011, 01:35 PM
Another free, and very good text editor with a relatively small footprint, capable of handling large text files, is EditPad Lite. I been using it on my Windows installations for quite a while. It also converts text files to/from the DOS (Windows) format to/from the Unix format.

http://www.editpadlite.com/

NQ6U
09-26-2011, 01:44 PM
I use BBEdit myself, great for doing HTML work. There's a feature-limited free version as well, TextWrangler.

KC2UGV
09-26-2011, 02:07 PM
I'm hooked on Notepad++ for my text editor (Or, vi, if it's available).

ad4mg
09-26-2011, 04:57 PM
What, you don't run the MS-DOS editor in DosBox? :-D
It sports a pretty, blue screen ...

NQ6U
09-26-2011, 05:41 PM

So does Windows a lot of the time...

http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net/bsod/bsod_cc.gif

WØTKX
09-26-2011, 07:16 PM
copy con:autoexec.bat
path=c:\;c:\bin'c:\utils'c:\dos
prompt=[ $p $b $d ]>>
^Z

1 File Copied

:lol:

N1LAF
09-26-2011, 09:40 PM
I haven't seen the blue screen of death since running XP. XP is pretty solid, despite some security issues.

At least my programs runs in windows, without having to worry about OS variants, libraries, packages, etc..
;)

ad4mg
09-27-2011, 05:19 AM
I haven't seen the blue screen of death since running XP. XP is pretty solid, despite some security issues.

At least my programs runs in windows, without having to worry about OS variants, libraries, packages, etc..
;)
Blame the OS for poor package management? I've installed garbage software in Windows operating systems before ... missing DLL's, non-existent paths, etc. Damn Windows OS must be a POS, right? Wanna discuss registry errors, or "Windows Genuine Advantage" problems?

Change a motherboard on a Windows XP machine. Use the same processor. Use the same model of MB. You will spend a minimum of 30 minutes on the phone with this compassionate corporation trying to convine them that you're not a thief.

I'll take "poor package management" for $0, Alex.

KC2UGV
09-27-2011, 06:58 AM

;)

That all depends on the installer package, now doesn't it...

You've never had to install .NET Framework version X?

KC2UGV
09-27-2011, 06:58 AM
What, you don't run the MS-DOS editor in DosBox? :-D

Edlin doesn't have a blue screen? It's a black background :lol:

ad4mg
09-27-2011, 08:03 AM
Edlin doesn't have a blue screen? It's a black background :lol:
Ahhh, so true for the unwashed masses. For all others, the solution begins with a simple line in 'config.sys':

device=c:\dos\ansi.sys :shhh:

WØTKX
09-27-2011, 08:14 AM
ANSI.SYS

The enabler of colored twirling cursors.

NQ6U
09-27-2011, 09:46 AM
I haven't seen the blue screen of death since running XP.

Your aren't trying hard enough.

ad4mg
09-27-2011, 11:01 AM
Your aren't trying hard enough.
A sure path to the BSOD is via updating your video drivers. Works every time!

N1LAF
09-27-2011, 02:08 PM
Blame the OS for poor package management? I've installed garbage software in Windows operating systems before ... missing DLL's, non-existent paths, etc. Damn Windows OS must be a POS, right? Wanna discuss registry errors, or "Windows Genuine Advantage" problems?

Change a motherboard on a Windows XP machine. Use the same processor. Use the same model of MB. You will spend a minimum of 30 minutes on the phone with this compassionate corporation trying to convine them that you're not a thief.

Shop Smart - always buy the retail version, never the OEM.

Also, buy from Dell, change components, OS doesn't care. Reload on new HD, OS doesn't care...

W3WN
09-27-2011, 03:03 PM

;)I have, but it takes a real startup driver FUBAR to do it.

W3WN
09-27-2011, 03:09 PM
< snip >

I'll take "poor package management" for $0, Alex.Micro$oft has said in the past that the OS is actually licensed to the Motherboard (ie the CPU). The rest of the machine components can be changed at will (and often are), but that's the key one. Therefore, by replacing the MB, you are using (in their eyes) a "new" machine and need a new OS license.

And Gahd help you if you replace an OEM MB with a generic one. The OEM OS CD won't work, as the new MB won't have the proper "brand" signature... that is to say, the Dell OEM software looks for something on a ROM or PROM that identifies the MB as a Dell MB, and if it can't find it, tough noogies.

ad4mg
09-27-2011, 03:18 PM
Shop Smart - always buy the retail version, never the OEM.

Also, buy from Dell, change components, OS doesn't care. Reload on new HD, OS doesn't care...
Be smart - build your own. I built two machines for Tony's business, both had fresh, legitimate OEM copies of XP-Pro installed, and totally up to date. Motherboards were Intel MB's, with Intel processors. The MB's were purchased based on recommendations by Microsoft certified nVidia video cards.

One MB failed, a replacement of the exact same brand and model number was installed. For that, Microsoft assumes the owner of the computer, a businessman who had spent nearly $10,000 in Microsoft OS's and software (documented over a period of years, dating back to WFWG 3.11) was assumed to be a thief.

Great business model you're supporting there, Paul. I have to ask, is that a Republican thing, because it sure isn't capitalism, it's almost fraudulent.

BTW - you would have to give me a Dell as a gift. The Dimension series was an undercooled collection of proprietary junk, with that accordion style case. The only thing in it worth a damn was the aftermarket nVidia video cards they used. A shame so many failed due to inadequate cooling in the case.

N1LAF
09-27-2011, 03:38 PM
Micro$oft has said in the past that the OS is actually licensed to the Motherboard (ie the CPU). The rest of the machine components can be changed at will (and often are), but that's the key one. Therefore, by replacing the MB, you are using (in their eyes) a "new" machine and need a new OS license.

And Gahd help you if you replace an OEM MB with a generic one. The OEM OS CD won't work, as the new MB won't have the proper "brand" signature... that is to say, the Dell OEM software looks for something on a ROM or PROM that identifies the MB as a Dell MB, and if it can't find it, tough noogies.

I had a complete computer failure, and was able to use the Retail version of XP on the replacement computer. The OEM is a one time use only. I always buy the retail version (approx $50 more..).

On one of my Dell laptops, I replaced the original 5400 RPM 40 GB HD with a 7900 RPM 120 MB HD, the OS had no problems installing on the new drive, never asked for authorization code. There is an ID on the Dell BIOS, that allows the easy reinstall.

Buy the cheapest, you get what you deserve. I have three working Dell laptops, going back to Windows 98 SE days, and presently the Latitude E6500. Solid laptop for the past three years. I have an XPS system - again, solid for 5 years, and all still so. Company discount (EPP program) do make buying Dell attractive.

N1LAF
09-27-2011, 03:44 PM
Be smart - build your own.
I have, has an ASUS CUSL2 motherboard, has the max 512 MB of memory, still runs today, 12 years later. During the weekend, I downloaded the latest BIOS, version 1014.001, dated 2003, so I can install a $54 320 GB PATA HD. Need to replace the CR2032 BIOS battery.... The ASUS MB can accommodate 320 GB drives with the BIOS update (I am at version 1001). This system has been a solid performer, performance in its day. I went to a local computer fair, and in two hours, purchased all the parts to put it together. Been there, done that....

Remember, I have Ubuntu (general comment) loaded on a VMware player, I am not impressed with all the installs, packages, etc, just to keep it going, nor 40% of the servers unavailable when updating.

ad4mg
09-27-2011, 03:57 PM
I have, has an ASUS CUSL2 motherboard, has the max 512 MB of memory, still runs today, 12 years later. During the weekend, I downloaded the latest BIOS, version 1014.001, dated 2003, so I can install a $54 320 GB PATA HD. Need to replace the CR2032 BIOS battery.... The ASUS MB can accommodate 320 GB drives with the BIOS update (I am at version 1001). This system has been a solid performer, performance in its day. I went to a local computer fair, and in two hours, purchased all the parts to put it together. Been there, done that....

Remember, I have Ubuntu (general comment) loaded on a VMware player, I am not impressed with all the installs, packages, etc, just to keep it going, nor 40% of the servers unavailable when updating.
You're delusional. My laptop started with 8.10 on it, and I have moved to 10.04LTS in the two years Ubuntu has been on that machine.

Maybe the OS is too complex for you, or the VMWare drivers are causing problems. I've had one single broken package in two years, and that was because I insisted on getting the original 'same Gnome' puzzle game on 11.04 instead of the cheesy 'new and improved' "swell foop" POS they replaced it with.

Keep buying MS. They love you for it. I'm delighted you're happy with paying for software bugs.

n2ize
09-28-2011, 02:47 AM
You're delusional. My laptop started with 8.10 on it, and I have moved to 10.04LTS in the two years Ubuntu has been on that machine.

Maybe the OS is too complex for you, or the VMWare drivers are causing problems. I've had one single broken package in two years, and that was because I insisted on getting the original 'same Gnome' puzzle game on 11.04 instead of the cheesy 'new and improved' "swell foop" POS they replaced it with.

Keep buying MS. They love you for it. I'm delighted you're happy with paying for software bugs.

The best approach it to place yourself in Microsoft's hands all the way. Trust them and never hesitate to give them your money. We are all children of Microsoft and we must obey and be loyal to them.

KC2UGV
09-28-2011, 06:25 AM

I've never had a package repo not available...

As for things to "keep it going", what in the hell are you doing? Ubuntu is "fire and forget" for the most part. Security updates just happen (If you told it to do so), and anything in the repos is about 5 clicks, or one command line entry, to get installed.

So, I'd like to know what kind of things you do that require so much maintenance to "keep it going"?

I would think you'd have a little more knowledge of Linux, and UNIX in general, seeing as it's being used as a Core OS for many applications in the Defense Industry...

ad4mg
09-28-2011, 06:56 AM
I've never had a package repo not available...

As for things to "keep it going", what in the hell are you doing? Ubuntu is "fire and forget" for the most part. Security updates just happen (If you told it to do so), and anything in the repos is about 5 clicks, or one command line entry, to get installed.

So, I'd like to know what kind of things you do that require so much maintenance to "keep it going"?

I would think you'd have a little more knowledge of Linux, and UNIX in general, seeing as it's being used as a Core OS for many applications in the Defense Industry...
I like to update the machines when I first boot them, so I added this alias command to my .bash_aliases in my home directory to update operating system (udos):

alias udos='sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade'

I enter the command 'udos' habitually from the command line on my Ubuntu boxes.

-- or --

I just let the GUI of the Update Manager take care of business. Really tough stuff, not for the feint of heart, I suppose. Best left to the experts, I reckon.

I'm a pipe welder with absolutely zero formal training in operating systems or computers in general. In the techno-world of computers, I'm a slobbering idiot on paper. I am also a Microsoft Certified idiot. I also have little to no issues with configuring/repairing/trouble shooting/ installing Microsoft operating systems from DOS 3.3 to Windows 7.

This idiot has configured dual boot Windows/Ubuntu operating systems on 6 of my 7 computers here at the house and in the shack. I have a bridged, encrypted wireless network between the house and the garage (radio shack) using Linksys 802.11G routers that I configured. I can remotely access the desktop on any machine, from any machine, running either operating system, at any time. With encryption. I have VM software on both operating systems that allows me to install and test fly other operating systems. I have encrypted USB thumb drives to transport my personal data. I play 3-d games on both operating systems. MS Flight Simulator 2004 (FS9) and FS-X, and SuperTuxKart are among my favorites.

I also custom build machines for several local businesses as a hobby. I guess it's all related to how much effort you're willing to invest.

Easier to pay for software bugs and poo-poo on anything else, I reckon ...

Did I mention that I am an idiot pipe welder? :-D

KC2UGV
09-28-2011, 07:17 AM
I like to update the machines when I first boot them, so I added this alias command to my .bash_aliases in my home directory to update operating system (udos):

alias udos='sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade'

I enter the command 'udos' habitually from the command line on my Ubuntu boxes.

-- or --

I just let the GUI of the Update Manager take care of business. Really tough stuff, not for the feint of heart, I suppose. Best left to the experts, I reckon.

You can do this:
$ sudo crontab -e

Then, enter this line as the last one:

@reboot /usr/apt-get -y update && /usr/apt-get -y upgradeIt'll happen auto-magically at boot time. However, you'll get no interaction (Much like your own script, except you get to say y or n when you run yours).

I'm a pipe welder with absolutely zero formal training in operating systems or computers in general. In the techno-world of computers, I'm a slobbering idiot on paper. I am also a Microsoft Certified idiot. I also have little to no issues with configuring/repairing/trouble shooting/ installing Microsoft operating systems from DOS 3.3 to Windows 7.

This idiot has configured dual boot Windows/Ubuntu operating systems on 6 of my 7 computers here at the house and in the shack. I have a bridged, encrypted wireless network between the house and the garage (radio shack) using Linksys 802.11G routers that I configured. I can remotely access the desktop on any machine, from any machine, running either operating system, at any time. With encryption. I have VM software on both operating systems that allows me to install and test fly other operating systems. I have encrypted USB thumb drives to transport my personal data. I play 3-d games on both operating systems. MS Flight Simulator 2004 (FS9) and FS-X, and SuperTuxKart are among my favorites.

I also custom build machines for several local businesses as a hobby. I guess it's all related to how much effort you're willing to invest.

Easier to pay for software bugs and poo-poo on anything else, I reckon ...

Did I mention that I am an idiot pipe welder? :-D

Linux (Or, UNIX-like systems in general) have gotten to the point where I'd say they are actually easier to use than Windows...

ad4mg
09-28-2011, 07:33 AM
You can do this:
$ sudo crontab -e

Then, enter this line as the last one:

@reboot /usr/apt-get -y update && /usr/apt-get -y upgradeIt'll happen auto-magically at boot time. However, you'll get no interaction (Much like your own script, except you get to say y or n when you run yours).
Thanks - I have recently considered adding the command line update as a cron job!

Linux (Or, UNIX-like systems in general) have gotten to the point where I'd say they are actually easier to use than Windows...
Yeah, no registry to muddle through!

Learning command line basics is the key to Linux operating systems. The GUI is a nice, functional interface for everyday use of the computer, but when you need to do something serious, the command line is the way to fly. Microsoft has moved to reduce the usefulness of the command line interface. This may be what actually attracted me to investigate Linux, as I'm an old MS-DOS guy from back in the MFM and RLL drive interface days. EIDE (there is NOT supposed to be an "E" in front of IDE) scared the sh*t outta me for the longest time. I felt as if I had lost control of my computer!

Also, properly cloning or creating an image of a HDD just happens with Linux. How can you possibly clone a hard drive with a Windows app when Windows is constantly reading from and writing to any mounted drive?

I like both Windows and Linux operating systems. I use both daily. I prefer Ubuntu Linux, therefore, I am an idiot! I am also a traitor, as I actually enjoy the Unity desktop in Ubuntu 11.04. Blasphemy, I tell you! (I actually prefer the gnome desktop for everyday use because it's way more configurable)

KC2UGV
09-28-2011, 07:39 AM
Well, I wouldn't wholly say MS has stripped the command line down. PowerShell is about on par with BASH now.

n2ize
09-28-2011, 11:09 AM
Heck I'm running 4 of the Fedora systems here. Several of them are dual boot. We use a different package management system than the Ubuntu does. And the update cycle is extremely frequent. If I can keep everything running smooth here than it should be a cinch for anyone to keep the Ubuntu systems up and running.

For the editor I mainly use the Emacs. I like it because its extendible (already has many language extensions) and practical to work as an IDE. For example, I am writing "asy" programs which is basically a programmable vector graphics language. emacs already has the extensions for writing, debugging, and running asy files. So writing and modifying my program is a simple as editing the code, hitting "Ctrl-s" to save followed by "Ctrl-c-c" to compile and run. it's just as robust and fast if I'm using Lisp, FORTRAN, C, C++, Perl, Java, or shell programs in sh, tcsh, ksh, etc..

However I have also used "ed" as a line editor invoked from shell scripts. I've also used joe, jed, pencil and, of course the old standby, vi.

Hey, anyone else ever make use of ed ? For line editing "on the fly" it can be pretty darned handy.

n2ize
09-28-2011, 04:48 PM

Paul is just throwing in a little "DING" !!! :)

N1LAF
09-28-2011, 04:57 PM

As you know, I cannot comment here on defense usage. I will say this... stick with the food service business, and we will be much better off.

Last touched UNIX/AIX was in the early 90's. Used grep/sed/awk/perl, and C programming, while at IBM during the development of PowerPC615 during the time I was working on my masters, and moved up and on from those days...

N1LAF
09-28-2011, 05:29 PM

When Linux has a larger market share, maybe I'll revisit it...
;)

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10

n2ize
09-28-2011, 05:45 PM
I don't get into the operating system / editor / browser geek wars. For me a computer is a tool for getting work done with the least strings attached.. I use what works for me and and gets the job done. For the type of stuff that I do the Unix/Linux platform(s) work the best or, at the very least does the work that I need to get done. Computers are, in general, not particularly impressive. Women are not going to swoon and people are not going to bow in respect over what computer/os/browser/ etc someone uses.

You know what works the best for me and gets the real work done ? Ideas, thoughts, knowledge, and pencil and paper. I'd say out of all the tools I have at my disposal the pencil and paper is the most invaluable.

ad4mg
09-28-2011, 05:46 PM
When Linux has a larger market share, maybe I'll revisit it...
;)

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10
I hope its market share remains stable. Keeps the riff-raff out ... :snooty:

KC2UGV
09-29-2011, 06:31 AM
As you know, I cannot comment here on defense usage. I will say this... stick with the food service business, and we will be much better off.

Too late. I do work in the health care, food-service, facilities management, labor management, hospitality management, and yes, even defense.

Last touched UNIX/AIX was in the early 90's. Used grep/sed/awk/perl, and C programming, while at IBM during the development of PowerPC615 during the time I was working on my masters, and moved up and on from those days...

Interesting... You must not be on the really cool projects at your employer then, like the mission critical systems, many of which run on Solaris (ie, FBCB2).

KB3LAZ
09-29-2011, 06:55 AM

+1 I like NP++. I use it for csv files.

N1LAF
09-29-2011, 03:30 PM
Too late. I do work in the health care, food-service, facilities management, labor management, hospitality management, and yes, even defense.

Interesting... You must not be on the really cool projects at your employer then, like the mission critical systems, many of which run on Solaris (ie, FBCB2).

Better stick with your food service jobs... yes, I am very familiar with Solaris, my projects use redundant Sunfire servers.

N1LAF
09-29-2011, 03:32 PM
I hope its market share remains stable. Keeps the riff-raff out ... :snooty:

You know, Luke, I hope someday that Linux will give Microsoft a serious run. We will all benefit from a serious competition.

ad4mg
09-29-2011, 05:36 PM
You know, Luke, I hope someday that Linux will give Microsoft a serious run. We will all benefit from a serious competition.
Me, too, actually. I'm sure the people who have put so much into the effort want to see that happen. As small as their market share is, Ubuntu Linux has been a very nice success story for them.

It really is a very good operating system, and I enjoy using my computers again! Surely some of that was derived from the learning experience.

And, I have many XP-Pro and Windows 7 partitions running here. Neither give me any serious problems. I've just grown fond of Linux and don't miss virus definition updates a bit!

n2ize
09-30-2011, 03:05 AM
Last I heard Microshaft, er ah...Microsoft was claiming that it owns Linux and is going to sue people for using it without permission from Micro$$oft

KC2UGV
09-30-2011, 06:21 AM
Better stick with your food service jobs... yes, I am very familiar with Solaris, my projects use redundant Sunfire servers.

And, I'd suggest you keep away from government projects. FWIW, defense projects are the largest source of fraud, waste, and abuse...

NQ6U
09-30-2011, 07:36 AM
Last I heard Microshaft, er ah...Microsoft was claiming that it owns Linux and is going to sue people for using it without permission from Micro$$oft

You're way behind the curve there, buddy. That was nothing but skeer that Microsoft spread around a few years ago to try and intimidate companies so they'd stop abandoning expensive MS server products in favor of Linux but it's amounted to nothing.

n2ize
09-30-2011, 11:16 AM
You're way behind the curve there, buddy. That was nothing but skeer that Microsoft spread around a few years ago to try and intimidate companies so they'd stop abandoning expensive MS server products in favor of Linux but it's amounted to nothing.

It may have been a few years ago but it was pretty much the last thing I heard with regards to Micro$oft and Linux. They claimed that Linux uses a whole shitload of Micro$oft copyrighted code which they refused to show to anyone and they said they would start suing the pants off Linux users.

Micro$oft probably thought better of it because a while back a company called SCO (remember Darryl McBride ?) tried the same thing and got whupped into oblivion.

kf0rt
09-30-2011, 08:09 PM
WAY late to the party here, but I use TextPad as a text editor under Windoze (and still do it for a living):

http://www.textpad.com/

Cheap and works very well as a multi-file editor. Tried UltraEdit once, but it was like using Word. Bloatware.

n6hcm
10-06-2011, 03:38 AM
Beyond Compare (http://www.scootersoftware.com/)is also easy to use and has a small footprint.

this is awesome stuff and super-duper cheap for what it does. i use this at work every day. sure, robocopy is cheaper (free!) but you can see wtf you're doing with beyond compare.

n6hcm
10-06-2011, 03:50 AM
For the editor I mainly use the Emacs. I like it because its extendible (already has many language extensions) and practical to work as an IDE.

i'd argue that emacs was probably the first real IDE. you don't really have to know a lot of eLisp to extend it (if, indeed, you need to do this at all ... after so long i'm inclined to believe that most extensions of any utility have already been implemented).

i use ed occasionally ... usually when i'm already in-the-zone and the edits i need don't require waiting for a gui (even vi) to redraw the screen. you have to have this pretty well wired into your fingers for it to work well for you.

n6hcm
10-06-2011, 03:55 AM
I don't get into the operating system / editor / browser geek wars.

we just hired a new junior programmer and he seems to think i'm going to be impressed because he has familiarity with some random tools and experiences from way back when. i'd be much more impressed if he'd just stfu and got his own work done.

n2ize
10-06-2011, 11:03 AM
we just hired a new junior programmer and he seems to think i'm going to be impressed because he has familiarity with some random tools and experiences from way back when. i'd be much more impressed if he'd just stfu and got his own work done.

It would be like me telling an employer that many years ago I programmed in FORTRAN using punch cards and expecting him to be impressed. Well, he's not using punched cards and he's not using FORTRAN so he would probably care less. Employers are generally interested in skills that can get the present job done.

n2ize
10-06-2011, 11:04 AM
i'd argue that emacs was probably the first real IDE. you don't really have to know a lot of eLisp to extend it (if, indeed, you need to do this at all ... after so long i'm inclined to believe that most extensions of any utility have already been implemented).

i use ed occasionally ... usually when i'm already in-the-zone and the edits i need don't require waiting for a gui (even vi) to redraw the screen. you have to have this pretty well wired into your fingers for it to work well for you.

So far I have never had to write my own extensions for Emacs. But its nice to know its do-able should the need ever arise.