PDA

View Full Version : Hamfest Prizes

W3WN
09-20-2011, 10:41 AM
So, I got a call yesterday from one of the co-chairmen (excuse me, co-chairpersons. Chairpersons? Ah, forget this PC nonsense, you know what I meant) of my club's hamfest. Subject of the call: Tentative List of Main Prizes.

I'm interested in what people think of this list. [Keep in mind that the prize budget is about $1700 this year.] I'm not sure I agree with item for 3rd Prize...

First Prize: Yaesu FT-450D
Second Prize: Yaesu FT-7900R
Third Prize: 32 inch HDTV (brand TBD)
Fourth Prize: Astron RS-35M

... and frankly (is he back on the Zed yet? ahem), I'm not a big Yaesu fan, so I'm not sure I personally care for Prizes 1 & 2, but my personal biases shouldnt affect the decision. And that's why I thought I'd ask some people who's opinion I trust...

(ignore obvious wisecrack about 'and you guys too' that ought to be here)

KC2UGV
09-20-2011, 10:48 AM
I'd change prize #3... Maybe a handy or something (Single bander or something). And, is the 790 a used donor item? If so, make sure it works :) I'd swap it, but at the budget, might be all you can work with.

NQ6U
09-20-2011, 11:04 AM
I agree, the third prize isn't appropriate for a hamfest but, even though I'm more of an Icom guy, the FT-450 is a really nice entry-level radio.

W1GUH
09-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Whoa! Hook up that TV up to a computer and you've got a rightous HRD display!

X-Rated
09-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Whoa! Hook up that TV up to a computer and you've got a rightous HRD display!

Yeah. That 32 inch screen would rock on HRD. There are ham applications for such a device. I question the FT-790R.

NA4BH
09-20-2011, 11:30 AM
The TV might get some non-hammies to buy tickets, if you are selling them.

W3WN
09-20-2011, 12:05 PM
I'd change prize #3... Maybe a handy or something (Single bander or something). And, is the 790 a used donor item? If so, make sure it works :) I'd swap it, but at the budget, might be all you can work with.That's a typo. I can't read my own handwriting... I should have said FT-7900R.

W3WN
09-20-2011, 12:13 PM
The TV might get some non-hammies to buy tickets, if you are selling them.I challenged them last year to think a little "outside the box," which is why our main prize was an Ameritron amp. It stood out, since most local hamfests(*) give away a dual bander, or at most an IC-706/TS-480SAT class rig. The FT-450D fits that bill this year.

The HDTV is this year's "outside the box" attempt. And yes, it may attract some ticket purchases from spouses or non-hams.

We've tried in the past a cash main prize... that didn't go over to well, so we only tried it the one time. Ironically, the 3 years before, the winners of the main prize sold it back to the dealer (the now defunct FHO) right after the fact, go figure.

We also had something a little different last year. One of the club members donated a wine basket, which had a separate raffle. I don't know if we're going to do that this year... we ran into one problem, at least one ham tried to walk away with the basket after giving the table the $1 that was supposed to be for the raffle ticket. One joker made it half way to the front door, and then threatened to "call the cops" on us... he didn't, but who needs the aggravation?

(*) Breezeshooters is more of a regional hamfest, and it has a much larger slate of prizes. The old Butler Co ARA Hamfest was also at that level, as was the old 2 Rivers ARC hamfest, before both got scaled back in more recent times.

KC2UGV
09-20-2011, 12:13 PM
That's a typo. I can't read my own handwriting... I should have said FT-7900R.

Oh, nice prize then. And, given the people who've replied here about the 32"... Sounds like a decent prize too.

KG4CGC
09-20-2011, 04:26 PM
The TV could be ham related but ... putting it in a different raffle might be a good idea.

W1GUH
09-20-2011, 05:27 PM
My local ham club, way back when, did the door prizes differently. All of the prizes were available to all winners -- it was their choice. The first winner got pick from the total booty, the second all but what the first took, and so on.

Thought that was a wonderful way to do it.

K7SGJ
09-20-2011, 07:36 PM
My local ham club, way back when, did the door prizes differently. All of the prizes were available to all winners -- it was their choice. The first winner got pick from the total booty, the second all but what the first took, and so on.

Thought that was a wonderful way to do it.

If the prizes were: Ferrari, 27' Sea Ray, Shwinn 10 speed, pocket knife, roll of toilet paper. Hmmmmmmmm what would I do? WWJD? Yep, I see your point.

WØTKX
09-20-2011, 07:45 PM
How about a battery backup power supply, or maybe a small battery with solar panel for portable (QRP) use?

W3WN
09-20-2011, 09:59 PM
How about a battery backup power supply, or maybe a small battery with solar panel for portable (QRP) use?I like that idea of a portable solar panel with battery. I'll run that past them.