PDA

View Full Version : Creative scamming...

W1GUH
09-20-2011, 07:50 AM
Traffic light camera scam steals your identity (http://autos.yahoo.com/news/traffic-light-camera-scam-steals-your-identity.html)

Depressing the people actually fall for this.

W3WN
09-20-2011, 09:23 AM
Traffic light camera scam steals your identity (http://autos.yahoo.com/news/traffic-light-camera-scam-steals-your-identity.html)

Depressing the people actually fall for this.Some people believe anything told to them, especially when the voice on the phone identifies themselves as being in A Position Of Authority, and has the voice skills to pull it off convincingly.

W3WN
09-20-2011, 09:28 AM
Years ago, when I was still married to YF1, we bought something at a small store up in the Strip District (no, it's named that because it's the strip of land between the old PRR main line and the Allegheny River, and you have a dirty mind, but never mind that). Paid by check.

About a week later, we get a call from someone claiming to be from the store (no, we couldn't verify, this was before Caller ID). Sob story ensued. I don't recall all the details, but the essence was that a thief had stolen some cash and destroyed the checks, so could we be troubled to stop payment on our check and send them a new one?

It didn't make sense. The receipt only had a name on it... my name, the phone was in YF1's name (and she didn't change it when we married). So if the check was destroyed, how did they get my phone number? (Remember, my name wasn't in the phone book!)

Checked with the bank, and the "missing" check had been cashed the day before. So the story didn't add up. I never sent them another penny, figured if this was for real, we'd hear from them again. Never have, to this day, but I have to wonder how many people got suckered into sending someone $$$?

n2ize
09-20-2011, 09:33 AM
I am surprised people fall for this. First and foremost, the red light cams don't need to ask who you are. they have already captured your plate number and cross referenced it against the DMV database. So they already know who you are and where you live. The actual collection of fee's is collected by a third party contracted to handle the operation. You are contacted in the mail and also given reference to a website where you can view still pictures and video of your car going through the red light. You can pay the fine via a check by standard mail or via credit card via the website. At no time does a police officer contact you, much less threaten with you. About the only threat made is that failure to pay may add negative points to your license.

W1GUH
09-20-2011, 09:34 AM
I got a call just before the '84 Olympics. Guy said he had tickets for sale; all he needed was my credit card number. I didn't have a credit card then...asked who was calling and the dude hung up immediately.

W4GPL
09-20-2011, 09:38 AM
You all see the story about the parking attendant who stood outside of an office building for over 10 years every day collecting $5 from each car that passed by? The problem was, the lot was free. The guy died one day and the regular lot users were concerned that there was no one to pay, so they called around to find out what they should do -- that's when they discovered they had been hussled for $5 each day for 10 years. Now that's what I call awesome.

WØTKX
09-20-2011, 10:11 AM
I got a call just before the '84 Olympics. Guy said he had tickets for sale; all he needed was my credit card number. I didn't have a credit card then...asked who was calling and the dude hung up immediately.

It was "Peggy". ;)

W3WN
09-20-2011, 10:28 AM
You all see the story about the parking attendant who stood outside of an office building for over 10 years every day collecting $5 from each car that passed by? The problem was, the lot was free. The guy died one day and the regular lot users were concerned that there was no one to pay, so they called around to find out what they should do -- that's when they discovered they had been hussled for $5 each day for 10 years. Now that's what I call awesome.I got suckered with a very mild variant of that one 2 years ago.

The WACOM hamfest was issuing vendor tags on red ICOM lanyards. Nice way to know who the vendors are (and who's actually paid).

At the end of the 'fest, a ham walked around and asked the remaining vendors if they could turn in the lanyards. Since I still had one for the year before, I didn't think twice about it.

Only he wasn't a member of WACOM, let alone on the hamfest committee. He just let everyone THINK he was.

Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing him at last year's WACOM hamfest...

(and no... his name may be Mud, but it's not Peggy!)

W1GUH
09-20-2011, 10:55 AM
It was "Peggy". ;)

Transfer

n2ize
09-20-2011, 01:07 PM
I heard a variant of this from a cop. Seems there was a building where a lot of middle and upper middle class kids would come to buy drugs. So, one day a couple guys show up and stand in front of the place and they tell the perspective customers to line up and give them their money and they go in and get the drugs. After they collected enough money from people who fell for it they make a quick phonecall to the cops to report drug sales at that location, hop in a car and drive away with the money. The would be buyers are left with no money and no merchandise, the cops show up and they scatter and the scammers pocket the cash. Only problem is that it was a one time scam. If the scammers were to show up there again the real dealers would probably kill them.

X-Rated
09-20-2011, 01:23 PM
I heard a variant of this from a cop. Seems there was a building where a lot of middle and upper middle class kids would come to buy drugs. So, one day a couple guys show up and stand in front of the place and they tell the perspective customers to line up and give them their money and they go in and get the drugs. After they collected enough money from people who fell for it they make a quick phonecall to the cops to report drug sales at that location, hop in a car and drive away with the money. The would be buyers are left with no money and no merchandise, the cops show up and they scatter and the scammers pocket the cash. Only problem is that it was a one time scam. If the scammers were to show up there again the real dealers would probably kill them.

Oh no. I am sure they would laugh it off like in that Pina Colada song at the end.

W7XF
09-20-2011, 02:35 PM
Moral of Story: You go to a retailer that makes a Federal case for needing your phone number....GIVE THEM A FAKE NUMBER!!!!

KG4CGC
09-20-2011, 03:10 PM
Moral of Story: You go to a retailer that makes a Federal case for needing your phone number....GIVE THEM A FAKE NUMBER!!!!
I just say, "no phone." Never got hassled.
With Radio shack, I want them to send me a monthly flyer although now, I just look at their ads online.
As for Peggy, great commercial.

n2ize
09-20-2011, 05:16 PM
Oh no. I am sure they would laugh it off like in that Pina Colada song at the end.

Actually any drug buyer who would fall for such a scam is an imbecile. But apparently some did. And I guess its one of those deals where the cops ain't gonna do much for you if you tell em, "Officer, I was trying to buy drugs illegally and someone ripped me off".

kc7jty
09-21-2011, 03:08 AM
I just got a letter calling me to jury duty. If I don't respond in 10 days I'll be facing jail time.
Should I just send them my credit card #?

X-Rated
09-21-2011, 11:10 AM
I just got a letter calling me to jury duty. If I don't respond in 10 days I'll be facing jail time.

Here in Cook County, I was on the hot seat for jury selection for a gang related shooting where a cop was shot. One of the guys in the pool was a former cop who was shot in the line of duty by gang members and was, at that time, an officer for the state attorney general office. The other guy was selected to sit on the jury and I was not. There are no such things as "telling them something that will get you off the jury" anymore. Not here anyway.

n2ize
09-21-2011, 11:11 AM

Was the letter registered/certified ? If not do they have proof that you ever got the letter ? Heck, for all they know you throw all your mail unopened in the garbage.

n2ize
09-21-2011, 11:21 AM
Here in Cook County, I was on the hot seat for jury selection for a gang related shooting where a cop was shot. One of the guys in the pool was a former cop who was shot in the line of duty by gang members and was, at that time, an officer for the state attorney general office. The other guy was selected to sit on the jury and I was not. There are no such things as "telling them something that will get you off the jury" anymore. Not here anyway.

I've been told that around here they generally ask you if there is any valid reason you cannot serve. One of the reasons they did that is because in NYS juries were required to be sequestered (basically held prisoner) during deliberation. If the deliberation lasted a week you were sequestered for the entire week. This requirement to sequester juries ended up keepihg out otherwise good jurors because sequestering would often mean they would miss medical treatments or needed medication, leave children and elderly with no care, etc. Plus is expensive, those juries had to be put up in hotels, fed, clothes laundered, provided transport to and from court, etc. And they used to sequester juries here for the pettiest criminal cases involving any sort of deliberation.. One time my Dad was sequestered for a whole week over a petty stolen car case. Finally governor Pataki changed the law. Sequestering is now up to the judges discretion. Still, if you are going to end up on a criminal case it's a good idea to notify the court if you have any sort of problem (ie.. medical, medication, or otherwise) that would make sequestering difficult or impossible. Believe me, they don't want jurors sick or dropping dead because they couldn't get to their dialysis clinic, medical clinic or doctor, etc.

X-Rated
09-21-2011, 11:23 AM
I've been told that around here they generally ask you if there is any valid reason you cannot serve. One of the reasons they did that is because in NYS juries were required to be sequestered (basically held prisoner) during deliberation. If the deliberation lasted a week you were sequestered for the entire week. This requirement to sequester juries ended up keepihg out otherwise good jurors because sequestering would often mean they would miss medical treatments or needed medication, leave children and elderly with no care, etc. Plus is expensive, those juries had to be put up in hotels, fed, clothes laundered, etc. And they used to sequester juries here for the pettiest criminal cases. One time my Dad was sequestered for a whole week over a petty stolen car case. Finally governor Pataki changed the law. Sequestering is now up to the judges discretion. Still, if you are going to end up on a criminal case it's a good idea to notify the court if you have any sort of problem (ie.. medical, medication, or otherwise) that would make sequestering difficult or impossible. believe me, they don;t want jurors sick or dropping dead because they couldn't get to their dialysis clinic, etc.

Excellent points.

n2ize
09-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Excellent points.

When my dad was sequestered for a whole week he was serving on a jury in White Plains NY. Every day they bused them between the court in White Plains NY to the hotel in Brooklyn. That is a long ride over the bridge to Long Island and back twice a day. You would think they would have put them up at a hotel in or near White Plains instead of busing them many miles away every single day. If Pataki did anything sensible it was eliminating the mandated jury sequestering.

kc7jty
09-21-2011, 02:13 PM
Was the letter registered/certified ? If not do they have proof that you ever got the letter ? Heck, for all they know you throw all your mail unopened in the garbage.

I have benefited yet again from having a personal, primary health care physician. I dropped the form off at the doctor's office, asking for validation to be permanently excused from jury duty which was officially performed. Now I'm good for another 10 years.

n2ize
09-21-2011, 04:06 PM
I have benefited yet again from having a personal, primary health care physician. I dropped the form off at the doctor's office, asking for validation to be permanently excused from jury duty which was officially performed. Now I'm good for another 10 years.

Yes. medical reasons verified by a health care professional are the most valid (and pretty much the only) ways to be excused. If you are tending college you can also be excused temporarily.

W3WN
09-21-2011, 09:47 PM
Phone rings about 6 PM tonight. Caller ID shows it as "Florida" with a number I recognize from a few other attempted calls the last few weeks.

Woman asks for my wife. I ask who's calling. She informs me it's from some "e" diabetes organization I've never heard of before... I inform her that since I'm the diabetic, she wants to talk to me.

Well, guess what! This organization that I've never heard of before, and doesn't know who I am, is giving me a FREE talking glucose meter! It's an upgrade over what I have! (Never mind that there's no possible way that they can know what I have). It's something that they're doing for everyone who's on Medicare! (I don't have Medicare, I don't qualify... too young)

I know where this is going, so I decide to have a little fun with her. Everything she says, another question from me. "What do you mean it's free?" "What's wrong with the one I have?" "Who pays for this, really?" are the three key questions I throw at her in one form or another.

Clearly had her rattled and on the ropes. Sadly, the fun came to an end, I suddenly here a male voice in the background say "F**k it. Just hang up." and she says "Sorry to have bothered you sir" and hangs up.

Don't get mad... get even.

BTW, for those who don't know, a regular glucose meter can be bought in any drug store, the local Rite Aid had them for $19.95 (saw one on Monday when I had to get some supplies). Talking ones? $49.95. Gahd only knows what they would have tried to charge my insurance company if I'd been dumb enough to give them the insurance info...

W1GUH
09-22-2011, 07:50 AM

Maybe if you asked about Jury Nullification? I understand judges and lawyers HATE that.

I was in the pool for a jury where the charges were possession of cocaine in the third degree and sale of cocaine in the third degree. After doing all the usual things to get 12 potential jurors in the box, the Judge then stated that drug cases are always controversial and asked each potential juror if they could be impartial in a case like this. That wiped out half of those 12 and this line of questioning wound up with the judge asking ALL the pontential jurors in the room the same question.

Whew! there's no way I could have ever voted "guilty" in such a trivial case. Besides, I hated the yuppie bitch prosecutor.