X-Rated
09-19-2011, 08:49 PM
What does everbuddy use for an HD DVR?

NA4BH
09-19-2011, 08:53 PM
The cable box.

NQ6U
09-19-2011, 11:07 PM
I don't use one. There's nothing on TV that I want to watch that badly.

KC2UGV
09-20-2011, 06:45 AM
Netflix.

But, if I really need to record TV shows, MythBuntu, with appropriate hardware (HD Tuner card).

rot
09-20-2011, 09:36 AM
Direct TV Box.
Loaded now with Peter Sellers' old movies from a film fest.
Tom Thumb was a bit strange.
The Ladykillers was cool.

rot

X-Rated
09-20-2011, 10:40 AM
Thanks. I was wondering if anyone dedicated a computer with a huge HD to do the job or not. Trying to come up with a scheme to record football games from the antenna. Er, that thingy that pokes up from the roof that receives TV signals.

W3WN
09-20-2011, 10:45 AM
Let us know what you come up with.

I've looked into some of the DVR boxes, but I don't like the idea of having to pay a monthly fee to rent one & some of the other restrictions. I have enough spare computers around that it ought to be easy to set one up appropriately (even if I have to make it a Linux box!)... if I knew what the heck I was doing...

X-Rated
09-20-2011, 10:56 AM
http://www.ebay.com (http://www.ebay.com/itm/350319178447?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649) has a few USB supported devices and some IDE ones as well. I was wondering what would work and if anyone had tried these. Will the software allow recording and garbage like that?

K7SGJ
09-20-2011, 01:06 PM
I have a Panasonic DMR EH-55 recorder I have had for a few years. It has a hard drive (200GB), and will also do DVD, DVD Ram, SD, and some other stuff. I don't recall the top resolution it can do, but it looks pretty good. I don't know if a newer version is available, but I'm sure used units are around; and probably inexpensive since a lot of people have gone to using the DVR in their cable/sat box. The Panasonic has all kinds of features like TV guide capability, all kinds of timers and channel switch capabilities, plus stuff I'm sure I don't know is there and/or how to work it.

WØTKX
09-20-2011, 01:41 PM
Windows Media does a fine job, if the PC is fast enough and has a tuner card. Mine works great on HD broadcast. Also use a non HD DVR for Comcast.

I don't pay for HD cable, it's $120 a month for basic + high speed internet. :shock:

X-Rated
09-23-2011, 08:26 AM
Windows Media does a fine job, if the PC is fast enough and has a tuner card. Mine works great on HD broadcast. Also use a non HD DVR for Comcast.

I don't pay for HD cable, it's $120 a month for basic + high speed internet. :shock:

My kids had a receiver and I hooked it up to my computer last night and loaded software. I need to figure out of I can make it work with Windows Media or not. But the software that comes with it seems to work well. I tried it first on an old XP machine and it worked well on the 525 line digital signals, but it does not work well with an HD signal.

It came up with 44 stations on my antenna. That includes like 5-1, 5-2, 5-3, etc. The picture on my Vista laptop is pretty good even for HD. I did a recording of a few seconds of an HD broadcast and I could play it back. I was in Meijer grocery store last night. While looking through the home entertainment section, I could find no video recording apparatus of any kind. They have DVD and Blu Ray players but nothing to record a TV show with anymore. It is like the passing of an era, I guess.

I will put a 1.5 TB external drive on my laptop and record some football this weekend. See how that goes.

http://www.markertek.com/CATV-Headend-Interface/DTV-Over-the-Air-Receivers/productImage/225X225/PX-HDTV500U.JPG

They are like $20 on ebay.

KC2UGV
09-23-2011, 08:32 AM
HD signals are sometimes "broken" if you do not have a pure digital chain in the system. It's a "feature" to prevent copying stuff.

WØTKX
09-23-2011, 08:37 AM
Actually, the "recorder" part of the biz seems to be taken over by media center PC's.

I have one of the Happauge HD USB tuners that works well on my laptop, uses the WinTV app. So with a small portable antenna I can use my laptop as a portable media center. Works pretty good. But the faster PC in the hamshack works better at recording, especially if I record in the background while I'm surfing the web and playing radio with the Flex, all at the same time.

Moar Input!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Ydq2pwePE_8/TazwlFKEvXI/AAAAAAAAADk/07JVtWYuv2o/s1600/jonny5.jpg

X-Rated
09-23-2011, 08:51 AM
HD signals are sometimes "broken" if you do not have a pure digital chain in the system. It's a "feature" to prevent copying stuff.

Yeah. The old XP gives me about a frame per second. The picture looks real good, it is just one frame per second or so. The Vista laptop is as smooth as glass.

And yes. The software is Artek media, I think.

I realize that the "recorder part" of the biz is taken over by media center PC's, but it seems like media stores would carry hardware components that will get you capability of recording. I am confused if the marketers don't know how to market these devices or if it is a concerted effort to keep the public in general from recording TV shows. I don't see what difference it would make to the local media center. It seems like if they could carry and profit on a component sale, they would be dollars ahead. I don't see how they would not benefit from carrying these devices.

WØTKX
09-23-2011, 09:01 AM
Tiger Direct and Amazon?

X-Rated
09-23-2011, 09:10 AM
Tiger Direct and Amazon?

My point was the local media centers. Yes, I realize that you and I got these devices on the market, but for decades, the market included video recording devices that were available on the shelf at the local drugstore or supermarket. Today, these venues carry many of the components you need to record video except for the tuner section that connects to the computer. This is what puzzles me. It seems like there would be a market for that.

KC2UGV
09-23-2011, 09:14 AM
My point was the local media centers. Yes, I realize that you and I got these devices on the market, but for decades, the market included video recording devices that were available on the shelf at the local drugstore or supermarket. Today, these venues carry many of the components you need to record video except for the tuner section that connects to the computer. This is what puzzles me. It seems like there would be a market for that.

People thought the same about VCR's that record... The MPAA sued to try and keep them from market.