PDA

View Full Version : Who knows about Alpha Aqualine 6000 solder?

W1GUH
09-18-2011, 11:11 AM
Bought a spool at a hamfest. The spec from Alpha is here (http://www.murraypercival.com/files/alphametals/AlphaAquaLineTDS.pdf).

Looks like really good stuff. But there's a peculiarity. It's flux is "Organic acid, water-soluble (WSF-0)".

Whoa!!!! Acid flux? WTF?

But this stuff looks really good and the spec sez: "ALPHA Aqualine 6000 is recommended for use in any electronic hand soldering application...".

Little cognitive dissonance here. Acid Flux? Electronics? For 50 years I've been reading "NEVER USE ACID CORE SOLDER FOR ELECTRONICS". Guess "Organic acid, water-soluble" doesn't really mean acid core? :chin:

I'm in the process of re-capping my DC-4 (pix to follow)...gonna use it, how can I not trust Alpha's spec?

Besides, it's QPL Approved (http://tflynn.searchwarp.com/swa384822.htm), whatever the F that means!

NQ6U
09-18-2011, 11:23 AM
From that link you provided:

ALPHA Aqualine 6000 is a QPL-approved (Type WSF-0 polyglycol-free flux), halide-free, water soluble flux cored solder. Its post soldering residues are extremely water soluble and can be easily cleaned with hot water. Due to the exceptional wetting and cleaning characteristics of ALPHA Aqualine 6000, it is recommended for use in a broad range of applications, including both commercial and military.

Emphasis mine.

WØTKX
09-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Flux has to be (mildly) corrosive, or it would not work well.

W1GUH
09-18-2011, 11:43 AM
OK...:stupid:

I think, in your own inimitable ways, that you're saying it's fine...go ahead? I can be anally literal at times. Guess, tho', the most literal thing here is the spec that sez it's recommended for electronics.

Thanks, appreciate the replies.

Don't want to flux-up the job!

Something I've got the capacity for.

NQ6U
09-18-2011, 12:20 PM
OK...Don't want to flux-up the job!

Resist the urge to be lead into temptation.

KJ3N
09-18-2011, 12:33 PM
Don't want to flux-up the job!

I wonder if it's safe for 1.2 Jigga-Watt applications...

W1GUH
09-18-2011, 12:43 PM
Wish I had the bread for that kind of application. I'd rule the bands!

W1GUH
09-20-2011, 12:15 PM
Got an answer. Found a website where Elecraft prohibits the use of "water soluble flux" in their kits so I emailed them about it. The answer they supplied is that that kind of solder needs special factory procedures to clean the flux off the electronics.

Will be spending some time google-fu'ing that.

Anybody wanna buy a slightly used spool of solder cheap?

WØTKX
09-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Naaa. I have enough old school lead solder to last me a looooong time. :lol:

However, Google-Fu on that solder you have is OK with a hot water cleaning.

kf4wxd
11-21-2011, 10:07 AM
Well, this is my first post here on the Island. I'll put my mad troubleshooting skilz to work.

Try a test piece on plain, mild steel. Just tinning an area would be enough. Tin another area and clean it with hot water. Tin a third area and clean it with citrus-based cleaner and a water rinse. Expose it to the elements for a couple of days, more if you are in an arid part of the globe and observe.

My former company (a very large supplier of networking equipment) uses citrus cleaner after re-working very expensive circuit boards, those costing in excess of $100,000.

Russ - kf4wxd

NQ6U
11-21-2011, 10:17 AM
Well, this is my first post here on the Island. I'll put my mad troubleshooting skilz to work. [...]

Good info, Russ. Thanks and let be be the first to welcome to the Island. Our bartender seems to be AWOL these days but feel free to pour the drink of your choice from the Island's well-stocked liquor cabinet and put it on my tab.

N8YX
11-21-2011, 10:21 AM
Welcome, Russ!

A former employer of mine did similar things with circuit boards they produced. Another chemical we used was isopropyl alcohol - at least 90% per unit volume. This was followed by a rinse with distilled water and the boards were blown dry with pressurized, heated air.

kb2vxa
11-21-2011, 08:46 PM
This stuff is a two edged sword, the upside is it's Sn63 "hard" solder and the downside is the flux must be rinsed off with water. Fine if you can do it without fluxing up the components (lovely pun) preferably on a single sided board. Here's advice from the Alpha horse's mouth:

Post soldering flux residues should be removed after soldering as soon as possible. Thorough cleaning can be accomplished
with 50-75°C (120-170°F) water. For critical cleanliness requirements, final rinsing with DI water may be required.
Omegameter readings of less than 10 μg/in2 have been achieved in commercial processes. However, a variety of
troubleshooting options can sometimes be helpful. Be careful not to apply too much flux. Avoid overheating the board which can
“bake” the flux on to the board. Alpha 2444 rinse aid, or a low concentration of Alpha 2110 saponifier, may be used to enhance
the cleanliness of high reliability assemblies.

Yeah, I too used alcohol to remove rosin flux (sucks raw eggs) when CFCs were banned, trichloroethane 1.1.1 was the best defluxer I ever used. Now water ain't half bad when used correctly, I used ammonium hydroxide (that'll take your skin off in a heartbeat) followed by a high pressure water rinse to clean juke box amps. You think rigs previously owned by a smoker are crudded up? You ain't seen nothin' until you've cleaned a juke box that came out of a bar in Brooklyn, water down the drain looked like Poo River but after the treatment they came out clean as the proverbial whistle. Oh, do I really have to tell you not to get the transformers wet? (;->)

W1GUH
11-22-2011, 04:53 AM
Thanks for all the info. Since I've probably still got a many, many years supply of good ol' 60/40 rosin core I'll just stick with that. Besides, my last roll came from Frye's -- and a little bit of Frye's is good for any radio!

So...anyone want a spool of Aqualine cheap?

n2ize
11-26-2011, 09:50 PM
You can still get 60/40 rosin core solder.

W1GUH
11-27-2011, 04:10 AM
Good to know!

Heck, I've still got a bunch of Heathkit solder from kits gone by.

K7SGJ
11-27-2011, 09:46 AM
I have so much of the 60/40 in sizes from RFS up to RFB, I will never have to buy another roll in this lifetime. Seems like everytime I pull a box out of storage, I find another roll or two. Wish I could find an unbuilt Heathkit or two, but

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

W1GUH
11-27-2011, 02:27 PM
I'm sure eBay will accommodate you, with enough $$$$$! After all, there's that fabled unbuilt Apache!