PDA

View Full Version : Who decided that science and journalism is all about the journalist or scientist?

W1GUH
09-17-2011, 02:12 PM
This trend absolutely drives me up a friggin' tree. So many, many so-called "documentaries" about science show MORE about the scientist him/herself than the science. I know that History and NatGeo play to "the masses" but give me a break. All those long scenes where the archeologist or whatever is running thier yap off while driving with the camera on him. "I did this. I did that." WTF? Who freaqin' cares, already.

Same with journalism. It's so often that I'll start reading a news item...even those on the front page...and wade through two or three paragraphs all about the author and haven't read the first word about who, what, where, when and why.

This was triggered by an article in that great ham radio journal, you know, the one that's "Devoted..." etc. I always go to the Vintage Equipment department first. This month's article was about the NC-400. I'm thinking, "Great...really want to read about that fascinating rcvr." Nope. Apart from two pix (and the front panel pic was lousy -- couldn't read any of the dial nomenclature), there was NOTHING about the receiver. It was 100% about the author's lusting after one back in the day and how he acquired one recently. About as satisfying as coitus interruptus. Blea!!! :yuck:

ki4itv
09-17-2011, 02:26 PM
It happens with technical posts on the Zed too.
Slogging through two or so paragraphs of bloviation designed to qualify the writers opinion as far superior to any other in the thread is not uncommon.

my own post often contain a little too much I, me, mine...been trying to reduce the frequency of that sh*t a little.

KG4CGC
09-17-2011, 02:43 PM
I include my resume with every post.
Because I'm better than everyone.

PA5COR
09-17-2011, 02:43 PM
Didn't you get the memo?

It's all about ME, ME, ME.....

NQ6U
09-17-2011, 02:59 PM
Blame Hunter S. Thompson and Tom Wolfe. Although there were others (Truman Capote was arguably the first, with In Cold Blood), that pair were the ones most responsible for bringing us the "New Journalism" of the late Sixties and Early Seventies. That's when it became acceptable for an article to be more about the experience of the person writing it than about the story itself.

Don't get me wrong—in the right hands, that's fine. The problem comes when lesser talents try to emulate the masters.

n2ize
09-17-2011, 03:27 PM
This type of writing is a waste of time and often a cover for poor quality work, thus the need for filler. Good writing should simply express the result and the methodology that was used to reach that result.

WØTKX
09-17-2011, 03:39 PM
I include my resume with every post.
Because I'm better than everyone.

OIC. Guess I should change my signature line(s)? :chin: :mrgreen:

Sometimes the stories about the various scientists and their personalities and philosophy is good. Broca's Brain by Carl Sagan was a good read. But the subtitle clued you into the focus of the book.

Can I tell you my story about the SP-600 I used to have, the only Hammarlund I ever owned? :evil:

W1GUH
09-17-2011, 08:15 PM
Blame Hunter S. Thompson and Tom Wolfe. Although there were others (Truman Capote was arguably the first, with In Cold Blood), that pair were the ones most responsible for bringing us the "New Journalism" of the late Sixties and Early Seventies. That's when it became acceptable for an article to be more about the experience of the person writing it than about the story itself.

Don't get me wrong—in the right hands, that's fine. The problem comes when lesser talents try to emulate the masters.

Uh-huh. At least in the examples you cite, the writers were, IMHO, very talented and creative. Take that away and "it's shite."

Words of Sick Boy, written by Irving Walsh.

KG4CGC
09-17-2011, 10:59 PM
OIC. Guess I should change my signature line(s)? :chin: :mrgreen:

Sometimes the stories about the various scientists and their personalities and philosophy is good. Broca's Brain by Carl Sagan was a good read. But the subtitle clued you into the focus of the book.

Can I tell you my story about the SP-600 I used to have, the only Hammarlund I ever owned? :evil:
Please enlighten me because I loved, mine.

KG4CGC
09-17-2011, 11:00 PM
This type of writing is a waste of time and often a cover for poor quality work, thus the need for filler. Good writing should simply express the result and the methodology that was used to reach that result.
Yes, Spock.

NA4BH
09-17-2011, 11:03 PM
Give up, roll over and let them rip your guts out. Because they are better than you.

VK3ZL
09-18-2011, 02:22 AM
Just watched some dirty looking dickwit searching the Amazon jungle looking for a rare giant spider..After 45 minutes of ads and this turky running around dodging life threatening dangers he finally dug up a common bird eating spider..Pity the thing didn't bite him on the ass...These shows are a total farce allright, meant to entertain brain dead ignorant masses...Pyramids, snakes and surviving in some completely hostile environment seems to be the basic content...Needless to say the "star" of these shows is always rushing around looking fearful of the dangers and great risks he is taking...

Bloody shit...What about the film crew, producer and director..Or does dickwit somehow film himself doing all these "heroic" deeds to entertain the masses...After all he is alone in some hostile environment...Well aint he?

I guess I'm really stoopid... :stupid:

Bob..VK3ZL..

kc7jty
09-18-2011, 02:39 AM
I can't handle regular TV anymore. I find the commercials highly insulting, reminds me how F'd humans really are.
When PBS is showing other than reruns, it's all I ever watch.

W1GUH
09-18-2011, 06:07 AM
I can't handle regular TV anymore. I find the commercials highly insulting, reminds me how F'd humans really are.
When PBS is showing other than reruns, it's all I ever watch.

'Cept for when they're begging for money

suddenseer
09-18-2011, 09:23 AM
Just watched some dirty looking dickwit searching the Amazon jungle looking for a rare giant spider..After 45 minutes of ads and this turky running around dodging life threatening dangers he finally dug up a common bird eating spider..Pity the thing didn't bite him on the ass...These shows are a total farce allright, meant to entertain brain dead ignorant masses...Pyramids, snakes and surviving in some completely hostile environment seems to be the basic content...Needless to say the "star" of these shows is always rushing around looking fearful of the dangers and great risks he is taking...

Bloody shit...What about the film crew, producer and director..Or does dickwit somehow film himself doing all these "heroic" deeds to entertain the masses...After all he is alone in some hostile environment...Well aint he?

I guess I'm really stoopid... :stupid:

Bob..VK3ZL..When I watch those shows, I am more impressed with the production crew's abilities, NOT the talent's ability to crawl in tight hostile spaces. As a former ENG cameraman I know good work when
i see it. A talking head is easier to find.

kc7jty
09-18-2011, 01:39 PM
'Cept for when they're begging for money

I manage to bypass that too.