PDA

View Full Version : The Easy-Bake oven lives on....

W1GUH
09-15-2011, 02:33 PM
If you were worried the the Easy-Bake oven would meet its demise with the phase-out of incandenscent lamps, your worries are over:

Lights Out for Easy-Bake Oven Isn't a Tragedy (http://thestir.cafemom.com/toddler/125998/lights_out_for_easybake_oven)

X-Rated
09-15-2011, 03:11 PM
That's too bad. They should have an oven that bakes crappy food like the old ones did.

ki4itv
09-15-2011, 03:19 PM
Been having the urge to go buy a rock tumbler lately. Can't quite figure it out, but the urge is there.:dunno:

n2ize
09-15-2011, 06:21 PM
The phase out of incandescents is bullshit. I will continue to buy and use incandescents.

W3MIV
09-15-2011, 07:43 PM
The phase out of incandescents is bullshit. I will continue to buy and use incandescents.

Why would anyone think you would do otherwise?

NQ6U
09-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Why would anyone think you would do otherwise?

I'd kind of expect John to use a whale oil lamp he lights with a flint and steel. Or maybe steel is too high tech and he just rubs two sticks together.

KG4CGC
09-15-2011, 08:50 PM
Been having the urge to go buy a rock tumbler lately. Can't quite figure it out, but the urge is there.:dunno:You do realize, it has to run for 6 to 8 weeks non stop. You could put way back in the out building in an insulated enclosure.

KG4CGC
09-15-2011, 08:52 PM
I use nothing but CFLs and I will go LED as soon as it's more affordable.

NA4BH
09-15-2011, 09:37 PM
Been having the urge to go buy a rock tumbler lately. Can't quite figure it out, but the urge is there.:dunno:

It does make the crack rocks a more uniform size. Easier to sell.

K7SGJ
09-15-2011, 09:47 PM
Speaking of Easy Bake Ovens, I wonder if they still recommend Easy Off to clean the plastic parts. Once.

X-Rated
09-15-2011, 10:21 PM
I use nothing but CFLs and I will go LED as soon as it's more affordable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/36-SMD-1206-T10-Car-interior-Dome-Door-LED-Panel-Light-/120779953138?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c1f0bd3f2

These are powered on 12V at about 1/2 amp and put out a hell of a lot of light. I put them in the dome of the car. Our grandkids complain that they are too bright. 30 years ago, I would have never believed that anyone would complain that LED's were "too bright". We have one as a front porch light. And I have one in the basement hallway. The real problem with them is that they are fairly small and the light is not well diffused. But with a 1A 12V supply, you can run a couple of these and get a whole lot of light. A half amp at 12V is like the old baby night light only much brighter and a lot less power.

ki4itv
09-16-2011, 08:59 AM
It does make the crack rocks a more uniform size. Easier to sell.
Thanks, I'll file this under post revolution business opportunities.:shhh:

KC2UGV
09-16-2011, 09:11 AM
I'd kind of expect John to use a whale oil lamp he lights with a flint and steel. Or maybe steel is too high tech and he just rubs two sticks together.

Funny enough, I like using alcohol lamps :) They don't work so well inside of radios, though :(

X-Rated
09-16-2011, 09:23 AM
Funny enough, I like using alcohol ... :(

Lots of us do.

n2ize
09-16-2011, 10:34 AM

How do you make this "light" ?? I haven't discovered fire yet. :-D

Actually my preference for lighting is mostly 1940's technology. I am a big fan of straight tube florescent lighting. I prefer the "daylight" or "cool white" varieties. For outdoor or garage lighting I prefer HID lighting i.e. mercury vapour or metal halide or sodium vapour. In my garage I use a combo of mercury vapour, straight tube florescent, and CFL. At my desk/office I use straight tube florescent (daylight), and circline florescent. I have a couple of CFL's but rarely turn them on. Come to think of it I hardly use any incandescent s at all.

However, there are some people in this household who don't like CFL's and find the incandescent light more pleasing. Other applications where I need incandescent are appliances, decorative chandeliers, dimmable fixtures, fixtures where nothing else will fit.

I've experimented with LED's but for general lighting they suck AFAIC. They are good for signal lights, indicators, flashlights, hobby use, electronics, lasers, etc.

W4GPL
09-16-2011, 10:43 AM
I use nothing but CFLs and I will go LED as soon as it's more affordable.Ditto. I bought a big box of of GE CFL's from Home Depot at least a couple of years ago. I've had one fizzle out, but I returned it to Home Depot without even a tiny bit of hassle. If Home Depot and GE continue to honor their warranty, I will not need to buy another lightbulb for 20 years.

I do worry about the pollution CFLs create when they're just thrown away and not properly recycled. :dunno:

K7SGJ
09-16-2011, 12:14 PM
CFLs don't work worth a shit in the oven and really stink above 350 degrees.

W3WN
09-16-2011, 12:20 PM
The phase out of incandescents is bullshit. I will continue to buy and use incandescents.Stock up while you can.

W7XF
09-16-2011, 04:04 PM
I have mom's house 90% converted to CFL's... exceptions being refrigerator, freezer, dryer, oven and 2 dimmable ceiling fans (they STILL haven't perfected dimmable or temperature extreme durable CFLs or LEDs as yet). Backyard lighting is HP-Na, front motion sensors are CFL floodlights. Probably shaves a good $30-40/mo off of the bill. I may convert the front yard motion sensor back to halogen or LED (if suitable ones are available) before winter...they don't stay on long, and when the temperature gets below 45º +/-, it takes forever for the CFLs to warm up.

n2ize
09-16-2011, 07:48 PM
I have mom's house 90% converted to CFL's... exceptions being refrigerator, freezer, dryer, oven and 2 dimmable ceiling fans (they STILL haven't perfected dimmable or temperature extreme durable CFLs or LEDs as yet). Backyard lighting is HP-Na, front motion sensors are CFL floodlights. Probably shaves a good $30-40/mo off of the bill. I may convert the front yard motion sensor back to halogen or LED (if suitable ones are available) before winter...they don't stay on long, and when the temperature gets below 45º +/-, it takes forever for the CFLs to warm up.

The colour rendering of CFL's and LED's sucks. For those who do not like "phosphor lighting" stock up on incandescent s.

w2amr
09-17-2011, 11:36 AM
I use nothing but CFLs and I will go LED as soon as it's more affordable.My wife has the GD things in every room now. PITA waiting for warm up. Can't they put an incandescent bulb inside there that switches off when the CFL is warmed up?

W1GUH
09-17-2011, 11:57 AM
My wife has the GD things in every room now. PITA waiting for warm up. Can't they put an incandescent bulb inside there that switches off when the CFL is warmed up?

Crikey!! What kind of CFL's you using? All of mine light in about a second or less. Or too much coffee and too little patience? ;)

W1GUH
09-17-2011, 12:00 PM
The lighting that I've always liked is that on a vintage train -- the lights that look like they're lit with about half the voltage they're made for. That soft glowing ball inside the fixture makes me feel like I'm on the 20th Century Limited shacking up with Eve Marie Saint!

As much as I hate how they turned Grand Central into a soul-less shopping mall, at least some of the lights -- particularly those in the awnings by the entrances -- still have that look.

w2amr
09-17-2011, 12:12 PM
Crikey!! What kind of CFL's you using? All of mine light in about a second or less. Or too much coffee and too little patience? ;)
Oh they light up right away. It just takes a few minutes till they reach full brightness.

W1GUH
09-17-2011, 12:25 PM
My OF eyes never noticed that. But with 12' ceilings I'm predisposed to LOVE CFL's.

NQ6U
09-17-2011, 12:38 PM
Oh they light up right away. It just takes a few minutes till they reach full brightness.

I've noticed the same thing, particularly with the ones out in my unheated shop/shack. They are most definitely temperature sensitive—in the summer, they come to full brightness almost immediately but whenever it drops below 60° F (16° C, 288° K) it can take up to five minutes before they've reached their full output.

W3MIV
09-17-2011, 12:55 PM
I am testing some of the new LED bulbs. Pricey as all hell, but lower wattage than CFL and last longer. Best of all, the color temperature on the ones I have been testing is better than most CFLs. Two lamp style medium-base bulbs in 60-watt equivalent (850 lumens at 13 watts) I am now using cost $30 each at Home Depot. I should also mention they are shaped like ordinary bulbs, and not fragile, coiled glass tubes (which can be hard to grasp to change in recessed ceiling applications).

They are rated to last "23 years" (wish I were), which may be bullshit but is better by far than either incandescent or CFL. They are also available in flood and spot style with medium bases -- important for me since the houses I am now looking at have cathedral ceilings over much of the living area with recessed fixtures, and the bulbs are twelve to sixteen feet above the floor.

I don't do "high" very well and I have no intention of futzing with bulbs at that altitude, oxygen masks or no. Neither will I happily pay some handy-bozo to change them.

w2amr
09-17-2011, 03:42 PM
I am testing some of the new LED bulbs. Pricey as all hell, but lower wattage than CFL and last longer. Best of all, the color temperature on the ones I have been testing is better than most CFLs. Two lamp style medium-base bulbs in 60-watt equivalent (850 lumens at 13 watts) I am now using cost $30 each at Home Depot. I should also mention they are shaped like ordinary bulbs, and not fragile, coiled glass tubes (which can be hard to grasp to change in recessed ceiling applications).

They are rated to last "23 years" (wish I were), which may be bullshit but is better by far than either incandescent or CFL. They are also available in flood and spot style with medium bases -- important for me since the houses I am now looking at have cathedral ceilings over much of the living area with recessed fixtures, and the bulbs are twelve to sixteen feet above the floor.

I don't do "high" very well and I have no intention of futzing with bulbs at that altitude, oxygen masks or no. Neither will I happily pay some handy-bozo to change them.With your track record , it might be a good idea to avoid any activity that involves climbing more than 3 steps.:-D

NQ6U
09-17-2011, 03:53 PM
I don't do "high" very well

Dat be because you are not smokin' de Ganja, mon!

http://www.cannabisculture.com/library/images/uploads/2407-rasta-mon-side-view.jpg

w2amr
09-17-2011, 04:06 PM

http://www.cannabisculture.com/library/images/uploads/2407-rasta-mon-side-view.jpgTakes the need for a ladder right out of the picture, don't it?

n2ize
09-17-2011, 06:30 PM

http://www.cannabisculture.com/library/images/uploads/2407-rasta-mon-side-view.jpg

Oh man... what makes me wish I was in that picture right now.

W1GUH
09-17-2011, 07:38 PM
How many hippies does it take to change a light bulb?

Fuck it, we'll smoke in the dark!

W3MIV
09-18-2011, 06:15 AM
With your track record , it might be a good idea to avoid any activity that involves climbing more than 3 steps.:-D

Amen, brudder.

K7SGJ
09-18-2011, 09:01 AM
Maybe you can make a bulb changing adapter for the end of the 80M vertical.

W1GUH
09-18-2011, 09:08 AM
Do CFL"s make good dummy loads?

N2NH
09-18-2011, 11:15 AM
It looks like something Richard Simmons would buy. ;)

ki4itv
09-18-2011, 04:11 PM
How many hippies does it take to change a light bulb?

Fuck it, we'll smoke in the dark!
*reaches in basket, pulls out handmade candle*

...ear, man.

n2ize
09-20-2011, 09:17 AM
If you were worried the the Easy-Bake oven would meet its demise with the phase-out of incandenscent lamps, your worries are over:

Lights Out for Easy-Bake Oven Isn't a Tragedy (http://thestir.cafemom.com/toddler/125998/lights_out_for_easybake_oven)

Actually the premise of this article is incorrect. Incandescent lights are not being "phased out". Certain wattage's used for standard lighting applications simply have to meet certain efficiency requirements such as x candella's per watt where x is greater than the present values. In addition, there are tons of exceptions to the bans for things like 3-way bulbs, left hand threaded bulbs, utility bulbs, flood lights, dimmable bulbs, display bulbs, colored bulbs, rough service lamps, industrial service lamps, signal and pilot lamps, decorative lamps, candelabra lamps. miniature lamps, Low V lamps, military bulbs, and about a million and one other exceptions. The way I see it, incandescent s will be available for a very long time to come.

In addition, want to make an incandescent last forever ? Run it at a slightly lower voltage than it is rated. Damned things last forever. Check out the "Centennial Bulb" in Livermore California.

http://www.centennialbulb.org/

K7SGJ
09-20-2011, 12:50 PM
With all the new regs and BS, I have a feeling that if Edison were still alive, he'd say fuck it, you can work by candle light.

X-Rated
09-20-2011, 01:15 PM
With all the new regs and BS, I have a feeling that if Edison were still alive, he'd say fuck it, you can work by candle light.

Edison was a jerk.

NA4BH
09-20-2011, 01:17 PM
He owes me 10 bucks.

NQ6U
09-20-2011, 01:47 PM
He owes me 10 bucks.

You too?? Cheap bastidge...

n2ize
09-20-2011, 06:50 PM
Edison was a jerk.

Edison was a great man. I have deep respect for him, even though he was a capitalist peeg. :-D

NQ6U
09-20-2011, 08:05 PM
Edison was a great man. I have deep respect for him, even though he was a capitalist peeg. :-D

And a racist and a nativist and an anti-semite. But, hey, we all have our flaws.

n2ize
09-20-2011, 08:34 PM
And a racist and a nativist and an anti-semite. But, hey, we all have our flaws.

I was unaware that he was a racist and an anti-semite. If this is true then I hate Edison. He was a pig. F&*k him and whatever inventions he stole from others. Doing some research I learned that many of his inventions, including the lightbulb, were not unique or primary.

X-Rated
09-21-2011, 11:00 AM

Edison was a manager who managed great inventors. He took the credit and patents and they got a dime or two.

n2ize
09-27-2011, 06:25 PM
Edison was a manager who managed great inventors. He took the credit and patents and they got a dime or two.

Edison was a bastard. I have lost all respect for him.

W1GUH
09-28-2011, 04:46 PM
I was unaware that he was a racist and an anti-semite. If this is true then I hate Edison. He was a pig. F&*k him and whatever inventions he stole from others. Doing some research I learned that many of his inventions, including the lightbulb, were not unique or primary.

Him and Henry Ford were highly racist and anti-semitic.

Edison would've stolen his mother's last dollar, probably. He had no compunctions whatsoever about stealing creative ideas or works or f'ing over his technical staff.

n2ize
09-28-2011, 09:48 PM
Him and Henry Ford were highly racist and anti-semitic.

Edison would've stolen his mother's last dollar, probably. He had no compunctions whatsoever about stealing creative ideas or works or f'ing over his technical staff.

Sounds like he was part of the establishment. booo Hisss on Edison.

W1GUH
09-29-2011, 09:55 AM
Yeah, but, in a grudging way he was miles and miles ahead of our captians of industry today. He actually MADE things, things that enhanced people's lives, and things that employed people making them. Also things that were exported and helped the balance of payments. Same for Mr. Ford, Harvey Firestone, Andrew Carnegie, Rockefeller and all them other so-called robber barons.

n2ize
10-01-2011, 02:51 AM
Yeah, but, in a grudging way he was miles and miles ahead of our captians of industry today. He actually MADE things, things that enhanced people's lives, and things that employed people making them. Also things that were exported and helped the balance of payments. Same for Mr. Ford, Harvey Firestone, Andrew Carnegie, Rockefeller and all them other so-called robber barons.

Well, you are right. Edison and others like him had a knack for taking an idea and making it into something that people want and capitalizing on it. This of course did wind up providing a lot of jobs and opportunities and helped this country to grow in leaps and bounds. In order to provide added skill for further innovation a whole generation of young people were spurred into the technologies, the sciences, engineering, finance, management, and other important fields and opened new avenues of interest and spawned new technologies. It also helped to grow a strong and robust middle class , particularly during the post war years.

Then came Ronnie...

kb2vxa
10-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Edison and others like him had a knack for taking an idea and making it into something that people want and capitalizing on it. Then came Ronnie (Popeil)... and a generation of hucksters using marketing psychology to convince people they want, just GOTTA HAVE some piece of junk they really don't need. This of course did wind up providing a lot of jobs and opportunities and helped this country to grow in leaps and bounds, "this country" being China.

There, that looks better.

W3MIV
10-04-2011, 07:16 AM
The guy who was responsible for the irresponsible consumerism that is the hallmark of today was Edward Bernays. May he rot in hell for all time.

n2ize
10-04-2011, 03:20 PM
Edison and others like him had a knack for taking an idea and making it into something that people want and capitalizing on it. Then came Ronnie (Popeil)... and a generation of hucksters using marketing psychology to convince people they want, just GOTTA HAVE some piece of junk they really don't need. This of course did wind up providing a lot of jobs and opportunities and helped this country to grow in leaps and bounds, "this country" being China.

There, that looks better.

If you really think about it most of the stuff that most of us own we don't need. All we really "need" in life is food, air, water, and, in harsher climates, shelter. Beyond that we really don't need anything else.

NQ6U
10-04-2011, 06:30 PM
All we really "need" in life is food, air, water, and, in harsher climates, shelter. Beyond that we really don't need anything else.

Almost nothing else. We need sex too.

n2ize
10-04-2011, 08:24 PM
Almost nothing else. We need sex too.

No surprise I over looked that. :lol: Well, yes, to keep the species thriving we need sex. But that is a "built-in" human mechanism. I was only considering the external elements.

NQ6U
10-04-2011, 08:26 PM
No surprise I over looked that. :lol:

Alas, I understand that all too well.