sirdrakejr
09-14-2011, 12:49 AM
Maybe this will give some ideas of what to try :
http://www.antenna-to-go.com

Frank

X-Rated
09-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Neat website.

I always thought that this would be a good qrp antenna.

http://www.radioarcala.com/Portals/3/M7.JPG

NQ6U
09-14-2011, 03:18 PM
Good mobile unit too.

KG4CGC
09-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Good mobile unit too.
But neither are for use in a moving vehicle.
Frank, your website says it all except for price. What do you sell your antennas for in USD?

K7SGJ
09-14-2011, 05:09 PM
Neat website.

Take your camera and get off my frozen lawn.

N8YX
09-14-2011, 05:53 PM
I constructed a mobile antenna similar to that in the early 90's. If done right they're fairly good performers and easy to manipulate on and off their mounts.

Have you given any thought to moving the loading coil a bit higher up the mast - say, using an MO-2 or equivalent underneath it then incorporating a 3-4ft whip on top? The whips can be obtained as NOS surplus from Harbor Freight - they were OEM for a number of Chrysler products.

sirdrakejr
09-15-2011, 12:32 AM
I don't normally sell my antennas. I help anyone interested in building their own. But if someone HAS to have me build one, the little ones are around $65 plus shipping depending on the cost of parts. The big ones I have sold for $105 plus shipping. I do it for fun. The main reason I am not doing it as a business is my wife's health has been bad for years and the cost here to obtain any kind of business licenses and the other REQUIRED stuff cost about $400 or more to start. I am happy just experimenting and helping others.

That big antenna in the snowy weather looks like the HARRP antenna outside Fairbanks. Is it?

Frank

KG4CGC
09-15-2011, 03:09 AM
I don't normally sell my antennas. I help anyone interested in building their own. But if someone HAS to have me build one, the little ones are around $65 plus shipping depending on the cost of parts. The big ones I have sold for $105 plus shipping. I do it for fun. The main reason I am not doing it as a business is my wife's health has been bad for years and the cost here to obtain any kind of business licenses and the other REQUIRED stuff cost about $400 or more to start. I am happy just experimenting and helping others.

That big antenna in the snowy weather looks like the HARRP antenna outside Fairbanks. Is it?

Frank

My mistake. I was under the impression you were trying to drum up a small business.

I thumbed through the MFJ catalog. Is that the 10" coil on the large version? It looks it. I was curious if that was all the coil needed for low band. I have to rework my 80m antenna which has a coil, of sorts and has good results on 80m. It is also louder on receive for the lower half of AMBCB and also works to receive, decently not great, on LW.

X-Rated
09-15-2011, 06:55 AM

Frank
OH8X

sirdrakejr
09-18-2011, 12:35 AM
KG4CGC,
I have sold a few of the larger antennas but NONE of the small ones. I used the coil you saw in the MFJ catalog. I use two of the end to end for coverage from 6 to 160 meters with alligator clips to select the band. The single coil works for 80 but needs a tuner but will tune 6 - 40 meters without a tuner. I wrap my own coil around the PVC to make the small ones. I use about 40 feet of 18 Ga. uninsulated wire for that. I do that by stripping the covering off and then wrap the wire on the PVC as I strip it. I use a tuner no matter what just to "fine tune" the antenna to where I want to work. I went to the black PVC on the larger antenna because the sun just makes the white PVC too brittle.

I also have only a non COOLED or HEATED garage to do all this in. I love working in the garage in the winter but you can forget the summer when it gets to 100+ degrees out there. So then the antennna fun comes to a stop until it cools off. Usually that means from September ( maybe ) to May ( maybe ).
Frank

sirdrakejr
09-26-2011, 12:03 AM
I do have a black antenna built and standing idle in the garage. I HAVE used one like it for mobile work but I tethered it so it would not wave around when driving. I used a HEAVY spring on it. I also have used the antenna with a 102" CB whip as a fixed antenna and it loaded up pretty good using my MFJ-945 tuner.

Frank

n2ize
09-30-2011, 05:55 PM
Neat website.

Those look like some "big guns" up there !!

sirdrakejr
10-04-2011, 10:04 PM
Gives a whole new meaning to "turning the house"! :)

ki4itv
10-04-2011, 11:29 PM
OH8X
They don't care.

KJ3N
10-05-2011, 06:08 AM
They don't care.

OE5T doesn't care, either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIm14Jk12nI&feature=watch_response

N1LAF
10-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Firefox can't find the server at www.antenna-to-go.com.