PDA

View Full Version : Smoke On Chicago, Eyes water fron the sky

X-Rated
09-13-2011, 10:11 PM

Weather is "smoke" tonight thanks to the Minnesota fires.

kc7jty
09-13-2011, 10:34 PM
You won't have to buy any smoke this week.

n2ize
09-14-2011, 01:44 AM
I remember one afternoon when my area was blanketed with smoke from some fires in Quebec. As the plume moved in the sky turned a murky brownish yellow. Eventually it got so thick it turned a sunny day dark and everywhere at ground level you could see it and smell it. It smelled like you were right next to a campfire.

X-Rated
09-14-2011, 06:56 AM
I remember one afternoon when my area was blanketed with smoke from some fires in Quebec. As the plume moved in the sky turned a murky brownish yellow. Eventually it got so thick it turned a sunny day dark and everywhere at ground level you could see it and smell it. It smelled like you were right next to a campfire.

This smells like a tire fire.

kb2vxa
09-14-2011, 03:46 PM
We all came out to Chicago
On the Lake Michigan shoreline
To make records with a mobile
We didn't have much time
Frank Zappa and the Mothers
Were at the best place around
But some stupid with a flare gun
Burned Minnesota to the ground
Smoke on the water, a fire in the sky, smoke on the water...

n2ize
09-14-2011, 07:51 PM
Frank Zappa rules !!!!!!!!!!!!

W1GUH
09-15-2011, 08:23 AM
We all came out to Chicago
On the Lake Michigan shoreline
To make records with a mobile
We didn't have much time
Frank Zappa and the Mothers
Were at the best place around
But some stupid with a flare gun
Burned Minnesota to the ground
Smoke on the water, a fire in the sky, smoke on the water...

Based on "Smoke on the Water" by Deep Purple

W1GUH
09-15-2011, 08:24 AM
Enjoy the smoke! I've missed the smell of burning leaves in the fall for decades!

N2NH
09-15-2011, 09:40 AM
Just go to Brooklyn then. It was smokey as all heck there yesterday. Smelled like a 3 alarm fire at a mattress factory.

W1GUH
09-15-2011, 09:59 AM
Who brought the hot dogs and marshmallows?

NQ6U
09-15-2011, 10:20 AM
Who brought the hot dogs and marshmallows?

Don't forget the Hershey Bars and the graham crackers.

n2ize
09-15-2011, 09:03 PM
[QUOTE=N2NH;374223]Just go to Brooklyn then. It was smokey as all heck there yesterday. Smelled like a 3 alarm fire at a mattress factory.[/QUOT

the smoke from the fires in Texas and Minnesota traveled at high altitudes across the country and then banked down over Brooklyn due to the approaching cold front.. This is quite common due to the infamous NY/NYC downdrafts. Not to mention Brooklyn is basically hurricane, tornado, and sou'western weather territory these days. Some of the roughest weather in the world is over Brooklyn and NYC. No wonder Brooklyn is known as the original "hurricane alley". I remember when hurricane Donna swept through in 1960. The winds were pretty bad. Irene couldn't hold a candle to Donna.