PDA

View Full Version : Why do they leave the tails on shrimp?

W1GUH
09-12-2011, 07:52 PM
Even in fancy, or at least semi-fancy Italian dishes, a lot of the time the shrimp come with the tails still attached. Does the tail add to the flavor? Or is it just that the tails are hard to remove without pulling some of the meat off? It's a PITA.

NA4BH
09-12-2011, 07:55 PM
It's something to hold onto, without touching the meat.

K7SGJ
09-12-2011, 07:57 PM
When you are served shrimp that have had the tails removed, remember the food preparer had to hold the meat with his teeth in order to pull that pesky tail off.

NA4BH
09-12-2011, 07:59 PM
When you are served shrimp that have had the tails removed, remember the food preparer had to hold the meat with his teeth in order to pull that pesky tail off.

I had a mouthful of beer when I read this. I HATE YOU !!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl:

W1GUH
09-12-2011, 08:00 PM

Not really. Usually when you try to just pull the meat out a substantial amount is left behind. The only way, really, to get tails off cleanly is to peel it off, putting your moldy mitts all over the shrimp.

NA4BH
09-12-2011, 08:02 PM
You squish the tail when you bite it, thus forcing what little meat that is in the tail to be available for your dining pleasure.

ab1ga
09-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Not really. Usually when you try to just pull the meat out a substantial amount is left behind. The only way, really, to get tails off cleanly is to peel it off, putting your moldy mitts all over the shrimp.

You're supposed to give the tails to the cat.

KG4CGC
09-12-2011, 09:30 PM
Saves time in food prep and many places buy them already like that.
Squeeze and pull.
Squeeze and pull.
Got it?

kc7jty
09-12-2011, 11:50 PM
Most shrimp comes from China, they don't remove the tail before freezing because it's too much work. Did you ever see a lobster served with the tail AND head?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrimp_farm
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/28/AR2007062801280.html

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrimp_farm)I don't eat shrimp because so much of it comes from China, now if it was beaver.....
http://www.hotcute.cn/wp-content/gallery/Hong%20Kong%20young%20model%20and%20singer%20Renee %20Lee%20Wan/Hong%20Kong%20young%20model%20and%20singer%20Renee %20Lee%20Wan%20picture%20(1).jpg

NQ6U
09-12-2011, 11:52 PM
I don't eat shrimp because so much of it comes from China, now if it was beaver.....

Here's some really fine Chinese beaver (http://scenery.cultural-china.com/en/22Scenery1952.html).

kc7jty
09-12-2011, 11:56 PM
Here's some really fine Chinese beaver (http://scenery.cultural-china.com/en/22Scenery1952.html).
http://scenery.cultural-china.com/chinaWH/images/arbigimages/7b4c48c2a013b7c180855f8734f9cf5a.jpg

NA4BH
09-12-2011, 11:57 PM
Beaver / cucumber / Miller beer ..............

You just hit the Trifecta.............

X-Rated
09-13-2011, 12:13 AM
When in Japan, my boss told me to eat the entire shrimp.

KC2UGV
09-13-2011, 06:50 AM

^^^ THIS

Helps a lot when your meat grabbers are not as clean as they could be.

W1GUH
09-13-2011, 07:15 AM
You squish the tail when you bite it, thus forcing what little meat that is in the tail to be available for your dining pleasure.

Suppose that works even if you're just kind of nibbling or sucking?

W1GUH
09-13-2011, 07:16 AM
When in Japan, my boss told me to eat the entire shrimp.

LOVE raw shrimp -- one of the most delectable flavors there is; it's the essence of sweet seafood flavor. One dish I hope to sample someday and that I heard is served in Shanghai is where you're served live shrimp and a bowl of vodka. You put the shrimp in the vodka till it's dead, the eat it. That's fresh!

NQ6U
09-13-2011, 10:18 AM
LOVE raw shrimp -- one of the most delectable flavors there is; it's the essence of sweet seafood flavor. One dish I hope to sample someday and that I heard is served in Shanghia is where you're served live shrimp and a bowl of vodka. You put the shrimp in the vodka till it's dead, the eat it. That's fresh!

And the shrimp dies happy.

WØTKX
09-13-2011, 10:56 AM
I've had live shrimp sushi... still wiggling. That's fresh, boeeiiiiii! :mrgreen:

http://www.dirona.com/ask_the_experts_seafood.html

KG4CGC
09-13-2011, 12:46 PM
Fresh raw shrimp is indeed sweet, but not like sugar. Sweet like a just shucked ear of corn right off the stalk and you take that first bite.
The heads in light tempura and flash fried. That's good eatin' too, son.

W7XF
09-14-2011, 12:14 PM
Here you go, Bunneh!!!!!!!!

n2ize
09-16-2011, 10:38 AM
And the shrimp dies happy.

Part of the fun is watching it die.

n2ize
09-16-2011, 10:45 AM
LOVE raw shrimp -- one of the most delectable flavors there is; it's the essence of sweet seafood flavor. One dish I hope to sample someday and that I heard is served in Shanghai is where you're served live shrimp and a bowl of vodka. You put the shrimp in the vodka till it's dead, the eat it. That's fresh!

Why kill it before you eat it ? To enjoy the full freshness you swallow them live. They will eventually die in your stomach soon after the digestion process kicks in. The best way to do it is to go diving and locate a large school of shrimp and just swim over and start gobbling them up. You ain't gonna get em any fresher than that.

NA4BH
09-16-2011, 10:46 AM
Why kill it before you eat it ? To enjoy the full freshness you swallow them live. They will eventually die in your stomach soon after the digestion process kicks in. The best way to do it is to go diving and locate a large school of shrimp and just swim over and start gobbling them up. You ain't gonna get em any fresher than that.

You forgot to say: HELLO

WØTKX
09-16-2011, 10:53 AM
Why leave the tail in the shrimp? So they don't feel inadequate. :mrgreen:

W1GUH
09-17-2011, 12:05 PM

It's true that watching nature programs about whales eating krill induces in me an irresistible urge to eat sweet shrimp sashimi. Dunno know about feeling it wriggle as it slides down, though -- but it might give me the opportunity to enjoy it multiple times till I got it to stay down!

n2ize
09-17-2011, 02:16 PM
It's true that watching nature programs about whales eating krill induces in me an irresistible urge to eat sweet shrimp sashimi. Dunno know about feeling it wriggle as it slides down, though -- but it might give me the opportunity to enjoy it multiple times till I got it to stay down!

In my case I've tried sushi and I can't for the life of me see what all the rave is. the texture, taste and idea of eating raw seafood just doesn't jive with me. To each their own I suppose.

Now, as far as eating raw and live, that should be no problem. Its a matter of mastering the art. If you are gobbling them live while underwater you chew them a bit and then swallow. Larger pieces that are too big to swallow you just spit out and suck back in and chew some more. You repeat the process until they can be swallowed. I learned this technique from years of aquarium watching.

I wonder if its legal to dive for abalone these days ?

NQ6U
09-17-2011, 02:49 PM
I wonder if its legal to dive for abalone these days ?

It is in CA as long as you don't use SCUBA and adhere to the very strict bag limit.

WØTKX
09-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Abalone is amazingly tasty. The best sushi IMHO is the simple stuff on a plop of rice.

Really high grade salmon and tuna is tasty without any seasoning.

I've had live shrimp and clam sushi. And various kinds of roe are amazing.

n2ize
09-17-2011, 06:21 PM
It is in CA as long as you don't use SCUBA and adhere to the very strict bag limit.

And how am I supposed to dive without my SCUBA on ?? Grow gills ?? :lol:

Serious question... what about a old fashioned helmet diver ? Technically that is not SCUBA .

n2ize
09-17-2011, 06:28 PM
Abalone is amazingly tasty. The best sushi IMHO is the simple stuff on a plop of rice.

Really high grade salmon and tuna is tasty without any seasoning.

I've had live shrimp and clam sushi. And various kinds of roe are amazing.

About the only seafood I can stand is flounder fillet... breaded and well baked or fried served with tartar and hot sauce.Or clams & tomato sauce over spaghetti. Shrimp, batter fried with hot sauce and beer is ok. Eating stuff raw and live ?? Well, in my fish tank my Tulip Eel, African Rope fish, and Channel Cat seem to like their food raw and live. They are welcome to it. I'll stick to well cooked seafood.

NQ6U
09-17-2011, 06:38 PM
And how am I supposed to dive without my SCUBA on ?? Grow gills ?? :lol:

Serious question... what about a old fashioned helmet diver ? Technically that is not SCUBA .

Free diving is all that's allowed. Too easy otherwise, too much impact on the snail population, that's why they banned it.