PDA

View Full Version : High beams, low beams

w2amr
09-10-2011, 04:14 PM
At the urging of my wife, I finally went to see an optometrist to have the ole headlights checked out. She said I'm in the early stages of cataracts, but other than that no problems. And, I only need reading glasses. Which is pretty good for an old fluck my age. Anybody else go for a regular eye exam?

KJ3N
09-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Once every 5 years. Usually a month before I have to renew my driver's license. ;)

NQ6U
09-10-2011, 05:12 PM
I'm due. Been a few years since the last exam and I recently broke my specs so I'm using a older pair that makes it even harder to see stuff close up that it was before. I've been wearing bifocals for around ten years now.

KG4CGC
09-10-2011, 05:29 PM
High Beams
Low Beams
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=605813

W5GA
09-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Sure do...been in bifocals for the last 10 years or so.

ab1ga
09-10-2011, 05:59 PM
Every year, whether I want to or not.

suddenseer
09-10-2011, 06:15 PM
I am diabetic, must have the peepers scanned annually. Been wearing bifocals for 11 years. I have the no line lens. I am a grandfather, but I don't want to look like one, yet. :shhh:

K7SGJ
09-10-2011, 06:26 PM
I get yearly checks ups since I my eye insurance covers the trip and 1 pair of glasses per year. I always go to an ophthalmologist instead of an optometrist. I feel if you have a good one the eye exam is more in depth.
Cataracts ran in the family, and I used to sweat about getting them. Well, I did. The first of last year, I had multi-focal lens put in both eyes. No complications other than one eye needs to be "tweaked" a bit with a yag laser next week. I went from wearing coke bottle glasses, (tri focal) to wearing none, nada, zip, nil. If I am doing fine work like PCB work or clock restoration, I need either readers or the work light with the magnifier, but reading and stuff, no problem. There was a two week lag between having both done, and during that time, I was amazed at how bright colors were with the new lens. When I looked at a white sheet or shirt with the eye that hadn't been done, it looked yellow or very dingy compared to the fixed one. It's wonderful to get up in the morning and being able to see everything without having to figure out where I left my glasses. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. My wife has real shitty eye sight and wears mono vision contacts, and says she would welcome cataracts so she could get her eyes fixed, too.

Oh yeah, I always love seeing a chick with her headlights on high beam.

W4GPL
09-10-2011, 07:35 PM
I just had a Lasik consultation. I'm seriously considering it as my insurance pays for 80% of the surgery. Anyone gone down that road?

K7SGJ
09-10-2011, 08:13 PM
I just had a Lasik consultation. I'm seriously considering it as my insurance pays for 80% of the surgery. Anyone gone down that road?

Something you may want to check with your own ophthalmologist on, but I was told that once Lasik is done, cataract surgery (lens replacement) is not likely to be as successful as it would be had Lasik not been done. As I recall, Lasik inhibits the ability to make accurate measurements for the implants. My wife was considering Lasik and my Dr. told her not to because she is at the age that cataracts are more likely, if she ever did get them, she would have a lot of trouble with the implant selection, and would still require a great deal of correction via glasses. I suppose if one is young enough, Lasik may be a viable option. I would at least check it out, because once done, it can't be undone. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best. Crappy eyesight sucks.

WØTKX
09-10-2011, 08:20 PM
T thought this might have been another Gretchen thread. Drat.

w3bny
09-10-2011, 08:22 PM
Meh...Im diabetic and my eyes are crap.

KG4CGC
09-10-2011, 08:45 PM
T thought this might have been another Gretchen thread. Drat.DMTA

kc7jty
09-11-2011, 12:16 AM
The eye clinic I go to for problems are condescending pricks, and do all kinds of tests some of which my insurance won't cover. I don't go unless I have problems.

W1GUH
09-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Reading glasses cost a buck at the dollar store.

w2amr
09-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Reading glasses cost a buck at the dollar store.
That's where I get mine. After a couple of months the frames break at the hinges.

KG4CGC
09-12-2011, 11:54 AM
That's where I get mine. After a couple of months the frames break at the hinges.pay a little more for the Foster Grant frames and you should be OK.

w2amr
09-12-2011, 01:03 PM
pay a little more for the Foster Grant frames and you should be OK.If they last too long I just lose them anyway.:lol:

W1GUH
09-12-2011, 01:18 PM
If they last too long I just lose them anyway.:lol:

Exactly!

What I haven't been able to find are those "half-moon" shape reading glasses.

sirdrakejr
09-14-2011, 12:55 AM
I have had both eyes worked on to replace the cataracts with lens implants. Now I see at a distance at 20/20 but I need reading glasses. The newer lens are bifocal and if I could have had them I wouldn't need reading glasses. As far as Lasik goes, I have been told that if you have Lasik done you cannot use a telescope again since the Lasik makes rings on the eyeball and that shows up when you try to use a telescope. I am not sure any one tells you that BEFORE they do the work.
Frank

KG4CGC
09-14-2011, 02:32 AM
If you're really into telescopes you can use a variable focus web cam and some cardboard tubes to make an electronic imager that will slip into and or over the eyepiece. Connect to computer, laptop, whathaveyou.

ETA: Here's what I did with a compact 60mm refractor and a cheap 3x camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j28Z1mTr7tc

W1GUH
09-14-2011, 07:02 AM
I kinda remember something about Lasik sometimes isn't good if you spend time at high altitudes? Heard about skiiers having problems that way. But that info is at least 10 years old, so maybe it's different now.

W3MIV
09-14-2011, 07:44 AM
I am afflicted with myasthenia gravis, so I go to an ophthalmologist every year. The disorder affects my eye muscles in particular (better by far than a host of other muscles: the diaphragm or esophagus, for example).

re: Lasik. I would consult at least two ophthalmologists who do not do Lasik surgery before going that route. Lasik surgery can seriously weaken the cornea, which can be a disaster in waiting.

W7XF
09-14-2011, 11:54 AM
I get told every year, whether I want to hear it or not, I'm unable to have the Lasik procedure (supposedly it won't work for me). However, I've had high/low beams since I was 35....and what is scary is my mother has had trifocals since she was 45.....I'm 50... I'm wondering if I'm on the same route.

N2NH
09-15-2011, 09:37 AM
I thought about getting Lasik, but I'm glad I didn't. Went from 20/400 nearsighted in the left eye to 20/30. The right went from 20/20 to 20/200 FARsighted. Who needs a telescope?