PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever go to a Unix Forum in the Javits Center?

W1GUH
09-09-2011, 06:21 PM
I think it's been years and years since the last one. I went in '96 during the dot com boom and that place ROCKED!!!! Many, many vendors and crowds of people. The companies put big $$$$$ into their booths/presentations and put on some pretty great parties. Also that year, there was a separate Database Forum in the Javits. It, too, rocked! Companies (IBM was one) hired professional actors for their entertaining skits. Another "booth" served margaritas, etc., etc., etc.

The next year the two were combined and was smaller than either were the year before. The bubble had burst.

n6hcm
09-10-2011, 06:28 AM
yeah ... years ago. just like w1guh sez. the schwag was good and the parties were excellent but mostly i drank single-malts with a friend at a nearby hotel.

NQ6U
09-10-2011, 11:31 AM
Eunuchs are no fun to hang with. Understandably, the tend have a bad attitude and the high voices get to me after a while.

W1GUH
09-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Eunuchs are no fun to hang with. Understandably, the tend have a bad attitude and the high voices get to me after a while.

Oh, so THAT's why it's called Unix? 'Cuz that's what the gurus aspire to? :stirpot::stickpoke:

n2ize
09-14-2011, 02:35 PM
On a few occasions I attended the Linux Expo which used to be held at the Javits centre in the late 1990's It was a nice expo and in addition to the Linux there were a lot of Unix people there. A lot of people and a lot of companies that were developing new products in support of the Linux/Unix community. Lots of free software, souveniers, books, distro's and stuff. I even met the Linux penguin and the BSD "she-devils" too. I got into a classic discussion of "Emacs versus vi". And quite a few of the famed Linux/Unix people were there. Loads of companies, IBM, Google, and lots of developers both large and small. Only company missing from the scene was Micro$$oft.

W1GUH
09-15-2011, 02:09 PM
On a few occasions I attended the Linux Expo which used to be held at the Javits centre in the late 1990's It was a nice expo and in addition to the Linux there were a lot of Unix people there. A lot of people and a lot of companies that were developing new products in support of the Linux/Unix community. Lots of free software, souveniers, books, distro's and stuff. I even met the Linux penguin and the BSD "she-devils" too. I got into a classic discussion of "Emacs versus vi". And quite a few of the famed Linux/Unix people were there. Loads of companies, IBM, Google, and lots of developers both large and small. Only company missing from the scene was Micro$$oft.

"Emacs versus vi"

Of course, vi wins evertime! :twisted:

BUT...Emacs does have its place. It's got games built into it (Tetris is one....donnet, a text adventure...some sort of "push blocks around" game, and the grand-daddy of 'em all the shrink program). The cool part is that IT can't delete those (like the do with all PC's). Wait...come to think of it, they always leave the games that lurk as "X demos" on unix systems, too!

The Javits center itself always leaves me cold...seems vast and almost lifeless. Not to mention that there's NOTHING in the neighborhood that's interesting.

n2ize
09-17-2011, 03:38 PM
"Emacs versus vi"

Of course, vi wins evertime! :twisted:

BUT...Emacs does have its place. It's got games built into it (Tetris is one....donnet, a text adventure...some sort of "push blocks around" game, and the grand-daddy of 'em all the shrink program). The cool part is that IT can't delete those (like the do with all PC's). Wait...come to think of it, they always leave the games that lurk as "X demos" on unix systems, too!

I generally use emacs for any programming that I do. What's nice is that it has the various extensions for different langauges, whether it be C, C++, FORTRAN, Lisp, or, TeX/LaTeX or Asymptote (technical vector graphics).. vi I use strictly as an emergency editor... when most of the system is down you can usually count on vi being available.

The Javits center itself always leaves me cold...seems vast and almost lifeless. Not to mention that there's NOTHING in the neighborhood that's interesting.

Yeah, the area around Javits isn't too nice. Nothing of interest there. Kind of void and empty.

Do they still have any unix expo's down there ? If so maybe I'll show up and say hello.

W1GUH
09-19-2011, 12:07 PM
I don't think so. A google of "Unix Expo" didn't turn up anything.

Do almost all my c/c++ editing with Ultra-Edit on a PC networked through Hummingbird and accessed via FTP.

n2ize
09-20-2011, 09:52 AM
I don't think so. A google of "Unix Expo" didn't turn up anything.

Do almost all my c/c++ editing with Ultra-Edit on a PC networked through Hummingbird and accessed via FTP.

I'm not familiar with that platform. Then again I don't do much in the way of programming except for certain specialized tasks. In general I don;t feel comfortable these days unless I am on a Unix or Unix-like system. I just can't seem to get used to working on a PC based platform.

My earliest experience with programming was on an IBM Mainframe via FORTRAN programs written on punched cards. When I was done writing the program I would put a rubber band around the cards, make sure they were in proper order, and submit them. Sometime, during the middle of the night a guy (or gal) from "Operations" would pick up the cards, drop them into a reader and run my program. In the morning I would find my cards along with a piece of "green-bar" paper containing my output. If I made any errors I would have to debug the faulty lines of code, print up new cards on the punch machine to replace the faulty ones, place them in proper order and resubmit them and wait until the next morning. Needless to say, for complicated and lengthy programs this was a painstaking process.

In later years I programmed Lisp, FORTRAN, Pascal, COBOL, C, etc. on such platforms as the PDP-11, Vax, Dec 20, often interacting via a LA-36 Decwriter terminal or a VT100 video display terminal. Of course in those days we had some cool people programming and hacking on those platforms. Most of them were stoners, potheads and acidheads and extremely brilliant.

W1GUH
09-26-2011, 10:55 AM
I'm not familiar with that platform. Then again I don't do much in the way of programming except for certain specialized tasks. In general I don;t feel comfortable these days unless I am on a Unix or Unix-like system. I just can't seem to get used to working on a PC based platform.

My earliest experience with programming was on an IBM Mainframe via FORTRAN programs written on punched cards. When I was done writing the program I would put a rubber band around the cards, make sure they were in proper order, and submit them. Sometime, during the middle of the night a guy (or gal) from "Operations" would pick up the cards, drop them into a reader and run my program. In the morning I would find my cards along with a piece of "green-bar" paper containing my output. If I made any errors I would have to debug the faulty lines of code, print up new cards on the punch machine to replace the faulty ones, place them in proper order and resubmit them and wait until the next morning. Needless to say, for complicated and lengthy programs this was a painstaking process.

In later years I programmed Lisp, FORTRAN, Pascal, COBOL, C, etc. on such platforms as the PDP-11, Vax, Dec 20, often interacting via a LA-36 Decwriter terminal or a VT100 video display terminal. Of course in those days we had some cool people programming and hacking on those platforms. Most of them were stoners, potheads and acidheads and extremely brilliant.

You just described a big portion of the technical staff at DEC!

n2ize
09-26-2011, 02:37 PM
You just described a big portion of the technical staff at DEC!

That must have been great working for a place like DEC back in those days. Bell Labs also had a lot of cool people working for them back then. Many of them also hung out at places like MIT and other academic environments where they could have access to these systems and utilize their skills. These were guys who could party, get stoned, trip, or get ripped and at the same time come up with some of the most brilliant and innovative ideas. Many of them went on to make key contributions in their fields. Those were some great times.