PDA

View Full Version : Coming Soon to a Lone Star State near YOU!!!

W7XF
09-09-2011, 01:39 AM
Lookie what is about to happen in Texas:

w2amr
09-09-2011, 05:46 AM
Lookie what is about to happen in Texas:
Let's see. If the limit is 85, people will do 95. Not much left to save from an 85-95 MPH crash.

KC2UGV
09-09-2011, 07:04 AM
Let's see. If the limit is 85, people will do 95. Not much left to save from an 85-95 MPH crash.

Right, because it happens all the time on the autobahn...

K7SGJ
09-09-2011, 09:34 AM
But But But what about the children?

K7SGJ
09-09-2011, 09:36 AM

Although emergency response costs will go up a little, health care costs should go down. And I'm sure UTs will be standing by.

KG4CGC
09-09-2011, 09:39 AM
Right, because it happens all the time on the autobahn...
You would compare any road in the US to the Autobahn? Please.

W3WN
09-09-2011, 10:14 AM
But But But what about the children?If they can get their drivers license, they can go the speed limit too. Nooooooo problem.

KG4CGC
09-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Some cars are not making good contact with the road at that speed thus contributing to higher accidents, not to mention Bubba behind the wheel with his wife and 4 screaming kids in the car.
Consider that Texas is trying to take back the gene pool.

NA4BH
09-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Some cars are not making good contact with the road at that speed thus contributing to higher accidents, not to mention Bubba behind the wheel with his wife and 4 screaming kids in the car.
Consider that Texas is trying to take back the gene pool.

God bless Texas :lol:

NQ6U
09-09-2011, 11:19 AM
While I like the idea in theory, the fact that it appears far too easy to obtain a drivers license in every state in the union makes me a bit nervous about it. Most of the drivers I encounter daily aren't safe at 55, let alone 85.

BTW, Kevin, what's the truck speed limit in Texas now?

NA4BH
09-09-2011, 11:22 AM

Are you talking highway or parking lot?

KC2UGV
09-09-2011, 11:24 AM

Some of the Texan roads, yes. In fact, it would be very safe to drive up to about 100 mph on many of those roads. More so than the Canadian 401, where I feel unsafe driving at 80mph, but I get screw-eyed by old ladies when I do less than 90.

KC2UGV
09-09-2011, 11:25 AM
While I like the idea in theory, the fact that it appears far too easy to obtain a drivers license in every state in the union makes me a bit nervous about it. Most of the drivers I encounter daily aren't safe at 55, let alone 85.

Funny story about how easy it is to get a driver's license:

I have mine. I never took a written, nor road test. I'll fill you in on how that worked if you like.

KG4CGC
09-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Does Virginia still destroy NC licenses when they pull over an NC driver? Seems that I heard tale of such a practice back in '07.

NQ6U
09-09-2011, 11:34 AM
Funny story about how easy it is to get a driver's license:

I have mine. I never took a written, nor road test. I'll fill you in on how that worked if you like.

Yes, please. Considering that in order to get the license I have now, I had to fill out literally 20 feet of written tests, I would like to know.

KG4CGC
09-09-2011, 11:56 AM
It ain't as easy in SC no more and the regs are ambiguous. The road test hasn't changed but the requirements are tighter. Think, proof of proof.
Also, proof of insurance is required but it gets confusing if you don't actually own a vehicle.

w3bny
09-09-2011, 12:07 PM

You would compare any competent Autobahn driver to a Texas highway driver? Please.

and..

You would compare any Autobahn automobile to a Texas redneck trying to get his F-350 up to 110? Please.

w3bny
09-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Some of the Texan roads, yes. In fact, it would be very safe to drive up to about 100 mph on many of those roads...<snip>

Yeah...I-10 from San Antonio to El Paso Maybe...

w3bny
09-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Are you talking highway or parking lot?

That was good...HAH!

NQ6U
09-09-2011, 12:50 PM
You would compare any Autobahn automobile to a Texas redneck trying to get his F-350 up to 110? Please.

"Mah pick-em-up truck is jest as good as one o' them-there mur-say-dees benzes."

KC2UGV
09-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Yes, please. Considering that in order to get the license I have now, I had to fill out literally 20 feet of written tests, I would like to know.

Well, as a young buck entering the army, I had no license. Never had the wherewithal to get one prior.

But, somehow, I ended up as Troop Commander's driver. Now, in order for that to happen, I needed a military license. But, since I didn't have a civilian one, they had to issue me a "Provisional", which meant I could only drive on post. And, a provisional requires no test (It's the equivalent of a learner's permit).

In the state of Texas, if you hold a military driver's license, they will rubber stamp a civilian one. So, I took my provisional down to the DPS (Department of Public Safety), and they gave me a civilian one.

Then, I took my TX license to the motor sergeant, and he removed the provisional, giving me a full one.

The whole process took 3 days. And, I learned to drive in a week :lol: To this day, I STILL can't parallel park. Three months later, I was issued a certification for a M915 bobtail (Almost a big rig, 5th wheel and all).

Yeah...I-10 from San Antonio to El Paso Maybe...

I35E-N and S. I40. US 190. A bunch of others too. Straight, and largely empty.

NQ6U
09-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Well, as a young buck entering the army, I had no license. Never had the wherewithal to get one prior.

But, somehow, I ended up as Troop Commander's driver. Now, in order for that to happen, I needed a military license. But, since I didn't have a civilian one, they had to issue me a "Provisional", which meant I could only drive on post. And, a provisional requires no test (It's the equivalent of a learner's permit).

In the state of Texas, if you hold a military driver's license, they will rubber stamp a civilian one. So, I took my provisional down to the DPS (Department of Public Safety), and they gave me a civilian one.

Then, I took my TX license to the motor sergeant, and he removed the provisional, giving me a full one.

The whole process took 3 days. And, I learned to drive in a week :lol: To this day, I STILL can't parallel park. Three months later, I was issued a certification for a M915 bobtail (Almost a big rig, 5th wheel and all).

Funny!

I35E-N and S. I40. US 190. A bunch of others too. Straight, and largely empty.

Too much traffic between D-FW and the Mexican border for Autobahn speeds on I-35E these days. I-40 is only in Tejas for a relatively short stretch through the Panhandle but it's also pretty heavily trafficked—especially with big rigs. Don't know about US 190.

W7XF
09-09-2011, 01:42 PM

Whatever the posted limit is. The new speed limit law in Texas also eliminated split limits and the nighttime limits (the repeal of the night speed limit may be pursuant to Federal law)

kc7jty
09-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Won't affect me any, my car wasn't designed to go over 60 mph.

KC2UGV
09-09-2011, 02:10 PM
Don't know about US 190.

It's a whole lot of this:

http://www.aaroads.com/texas/texas100/us-190_wb_exit_300_01.jpg

KG4CGC
09-09-2011, 02:12 PM
Isn't 35 also known as the Highway To Heaven? What's up with that?

NQ6U
09-09-2011, 02:23 PM
Isn't 35 also known as the Highway To Heaven? What's up with that?

It goes from Laredo, TX to Duluth, MN. You tell me which one of those is heaven. My own vote would be heavily against Laredo; I don't know Duluth well enough to make an informed comment.

WØTKX
09-09-2011, 03:18 PM
Daaalut is a nice place, but can be a bit cold. You betcha, eh?

I've been there a lot, and always had a good time.

KG4CGC
09-09-2011, 04:12 PM
I mean there is claim to a biblical reference to hwy 35.

NQ6U
09-09-2011, 04:15 PM
I mean there is claim to a biblical reference to hwy 35.

Enter through the narrow gate. The gate that leads to Laredo is wide, the road is clear, and many choose to travel it. But how narrow is the gate that leads to Duluth, how rough the road, and how few there are who find it. [Mathew 7:13-14]

X-Rated
09-09-2011, 04:31 PM
Enter through the narrow gate. The gate that leads to Laredo is wide, the road is clear, and many choose to travel it. But how narrow is the gate that leads to Duluth, how rough the road, and how few there are who find it. [Mathew 7:13-14]

He who driveth on I-35th over Labor day weekend be blessed. And especially so with hammy type plates from the 9th calleth district.

KG4CGC
09-09-2011, 04:34 PM
But, Pope Carlo, I don't believe that is the one.