PDA

View Full Version : Argh! My back!

mw0uzo
09-07-2011, 05:09 AM
Had a really sore back for a few weeks after digging up the garden. Always had trouble with my back. Today I sneezed and BAM fell on the floor in agony unable to move for a while. Taken some painkillers I had left over from an op and now can just about move around.

Has anyone got any advice for recovery? I've recently gone swimming to try and strengthen my back, but probably tried to do too much. Has anyone here successfully recovered from an injured back? What did you do?

w3bny
09-07-2011, 07:38 AM
Ah the sciatica shuffle. I know it too well. Been flat all weekend with Flexeril, T-3, Motrin and cheep red wine (makes a fine gravy!) but no, I havent recovered yet. Just varying levels of "not as much ow!" Doing some reading lately, sciatica is just a outward sign of other problems. So will be talking to the MD this week to schedule either PT, MRI, or both. Tired of this.

WØTKX
09-07-2011, 07:47 AM
Bunneh has no kegles? You ain't humping right! :lol:

w3bny
09-07-2011, 08:23 AM
Bunneh has no kegles? You ain't humping right! :lol:

Bunneh aint humpin nothin right now. Not with the Robaxin load I'm on now just to keep the pain under control. Wurf!

(I take both Flexeril and Robaxin. The Robaxin dosnt knock my big bunneh butt out like Flexeril does. Just makes me...uhh..."Durrr")

WØTKX
09-07-2011, 08:29 AM
Seriously, I blew my back out with a very bad muscle tear in my mid thirties. I was bed ridden for a week. Percodan helped the pain, but the only fix was to move and stretch. It was about a year before I felt good enough to ski moguls again. And acupunture helped quite a bit. So did losing weight.

My rehab from the motorcycle accident a year and a half ago revisited the sore back thing. It's OK now, but I really like a strong lumbar support now, and no slouching, as it bugs my back pretty quickly.

N8YX
09-07-2011, 09:04 AM
I did mine pretty good last week doing heavy squats and deadlifts. Hot showers followed by ice compresses seemed to help.

You gotta watch how much pain killer you put into your system, especially if you have digestive troubles. The stuff may shut your intestines down if used for more than a brief (1-2 day) time period.

mw0uzo
09-07-2011, 09:11 AM
Just varying levels of "not as much ow!"

Yeah, that's pretty much what its been like, very frustrating.

Seriously, I blew my back out with a very bad muscle tear in my mid thirties. I was bed ridden for a week. Percodan helped the pain, but the only fix was to move and stretch. It was about a year before I felt good enough to ski moguls again. And acupunture helped quite a bit. So did losing weight.

My rehab from the motorcycle accident a year and a half ago revisited the sore back thing. It's OK now, but I really like a strong lumbar support now, and no slouching, as it bugs my back pretty quickly.

Going to go down the same path here, lose a few stone via swimming, also try to strengthen back.

So what caused the damage .... about 10 years ago I went to glastonbury festival and loaded myself up to the max. I was carrying clothes, large tent, two crates of beer, 4 large bottles of cider. Had to walk a mile or two to get to the festival site and the tent location. Up the last part of the journey CRUNCH argggrggrgggghhh! Crippled with pain for a day then was okish for the rest of the festival. The journey back finished me off.

K7SGJ
09-07-2011, 09:22 AM
Have had troubles for quite sometime. Tried all kinds of remidies Rx and non. I have used a brace from Futuro for a long time, and it seems to provide some relief. You can cynch it up with the side straps for more or less support as needed. If you wear it and look pathetic, you can get out of all kinds of tasks and garner a little sympathy, to boot. Sometimes even a gentle hug from big breasted women. Plus there is a coupon inside that earns you a spot on the 75M net.

http://www.futuro-usa.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Futuro/Global/?WT.srch=1&WT.seg_4=4953244850&WT.mc_id=SE_FUTR_broad_futuro-brace&gclid=CJuajLGoi6sCFSgbQgodykKGtQ

w3bny
09-07-2011, 11:17 AM
<snip> Sometimes even a gentle hug from big breasted women.<snip>

Uhh...shipmate...where is this dispensary of big boobery that you speak of.

KC9ECI
09-07-2011, 11:39 AM
I ferscnickered by lower back some years ago picking something very small and light up improperly. It took a long time to get over it. Lots of trips to the chiropractor, who I think in hindsight was making it worse, and lots of walking.

K7SGJ
09-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Uhh...shipmate...where is this dispensary of big boobery that you speak of.

You'll need a Rx from the MO.

n2ize
09-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Sounds like you have muscle spasms in your back. I used to get that and I still get it if I sleep for too many hours. I would advise seeing a good doctor. In my case what worked was strong drugs of both varieties.

NQ6U
09-07-2011, 07:06 PM
Sounds like you have muscle spasms in your back. I used to get that and I still get it if I sleep for too many hours. I would advise seeing a good doctor. In my case what worked was strong drugs of both varieties.

I would advise smoking some good dope. I mean, if I were so inclined, of course. Not that I would know anything about that, you understand, but I've heard that it's good for that sort of thing....

K7SGJ
09-07-2011, 07:10 PM
I would advise smoking some good dope. I mean, if I were so inclined, of course. Not that I would know anything about that, you understand, but I've heard that it's good for that sort of thing....

What is this "dope" you speak of. I used to use that on model airplane wings. Care for a brownie?

n2ize
09-07-2011, 07:11 PM

Yes, it is. Alcohol, marijuana, opium, all good for muscle pain and used for centuries.

KC9ECI
09-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Massive amounts of single malt?

KG4CGC
09-08-2011, 12:31 AM
Massive amounts of single malt?
I once sneezed and something popped in my back, just before I hit the floor with my knees.
No aspirin, no Tylenol™, nothing. I whipped out the single malt and hit it until the pain start to ease a bit and then went to see the doc. No I didn't drive BUT, after I got there, they wanted me to prove I didn't drive AND they were very pissed off that I dared use alcohol as a pain treatment! I was treated like I just raped their best dog.
Assholes.

kc7jty
09-08-2011, 02:16 AM
Bad back for 36 years.
When real bad lay in bed for 3 days then start doing the exercises starting with straight leg raises to hamstring stretch. Start off mildly then increase. After the 3 days in bed start the exercises regardless of how sore you are.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00302

I spend most of my time laying down.
Chiropractors do more harm than good.
Opiates work wonders.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvtchdzn9x1g6ni57AmP5K1mW4Lq4Zc xQAVXbxXTn41ahOM-fY

I weaned myself off about 30 mg oxy daily, which started out lower of course, which was about 2 years running. Was a beech about 3 months ago , but can be done. Now I'm back to p r n.

mw0uzo
09-08-2011, 04:01 AM
Ok thanks :)
So putting this all together:
Painkillers, Opiates, Muscle relaxants, Weed, Strong Alcohol and Cuddles from Big Breasted Women
this ain't looking so bad after all... :cool2:

KC9ECI
09-08-2011, 05:18 AM
I once sneezed and something popped in my back, just before I hit the floor with my knees.
No aspirin, no Tylenol™, nothing. I whipped out the single malt and hit it until the pain start to ease a bit and then went to see the doc. No I didn't drive BUT, after I got there, they wanted me to prove I didn't drive AND they were very pissed off that I dared use alcohol as a pain treatment! I was treated like I just raped their best dog.
Assholes.

Seems like a good time to remind them who was paying and who was being paid to do what.