PDA

View Full Version : Power Window Regulator

KG4CGC
09-07-2011, 12:46 AM
Where is the best place to get the motor and track (it's all a unit) for a 2001 Dakota Quad Cab, driver's door.

I just took the unit out. The cables that wind in and out are kinked up in the spindle. Some minor plastic broke and the cables became misaligned and there you have it.

I can't believe NAPA, for all their bluster, does not have one. (???)

Anyone been down this road?

kc7jty
09-07-2011, 01:46 AM
dealer? wrecking yard?

w2amr
09-07-2011, 05:36 AM
Where is the best place to get the motor and track (it's all a unit) for a 2001 Dakota Quad Cab, driver's door.

I just took the unit out. The cables that wind in and out are kinked up in the spindle. Some minor plastic broke and the cables became misaligned and there you have it.

I can't believe NAPA, for all their bluster, does not have one. (???)

Anyone been down this road?
That is a dealer item. I have replace a bunch of regulators in Ford trucks. You're right, Even though a small part may be broken you must buy the whole unit.

W3MIV
09-07-2011, 06:02 AM
Cheaper than a new truck.

WØTKX
09-07-2011, 07:56 AM
I have one dead window in the Integra, but I have not been driving it since I got the Miata. Took the motor out and propped the window up with some steel strap and sheet metal screws. The motor is shot, got really dirty. Easy to find at a wrecking yard, and it's the same motor in all the Hondas. Just have to mind the "left and right" side. Yours may be different.

I suspect you can find one at a boneyard as well. Get one from a window that is not used as often, like not the driver's window. Replacement motor from the Honda dealer is about $120. Good used one is about $40.

Have not bothered to replace mine, as it's the right rear window on a four door. I greased the tracks on the front windows soon after I got the Integra about four years ago, but I ignored the rear windows.

Ooops, should have done them all.

kb2crk
09-07-2011, 08:18 AM
ebay. i bought two for my caravan for less than i could get one locally. complete w/motor and regulator.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-RH-FRONT-W-MOTOR-WINDOW-REGULATOR-MOTOR-POWER-/230658570856?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2001|Make%3ADodge|Model%3ADakota&hash=item35b4527a68

i dont know if it is the one you need but there are quite a few with and without motors.

w3bny
09-07-2011, 08:25 AM
Dealer, fleabay, hmm maybe a bone yard/pick-n-pull if you have a good one around.

WØTKX
09-07-2011, 08:36 AM
A lot of boneyards will have them already pulled.
Popular item, no matter the make and model.

W5GA
09-07-2011, 08:53 AM
There's a bunch of them here, new.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search.oap?keyword=window+regulator&year=2001&make=Dodge&model=Dakota&vi=1380428

ki4itv
09-07-2011, 09:40 AM
heheh...
I sent the XYL to Chesterfield Auto Parts (http://www.chesterfieldauto.com/) to scrounge a 3rd brake light for our little Chevy truck. These guys are a real hoot! Great commercials too.

I'm really sorry I missed it. It must have been hilarious...but alas, to truly enjoy the story you should have a fairly extensive background in the cultural differences between the Far West End (wife) and extreme Southside (junkyard guys). hahahahahaha!
Apparently, they found her as intriguing as she did them...She came home with a card full of pictures, the right part, and just can't wait for a reason to go back. Really. :lol:

Just remember: No Bare Feet! No Alcohol!
(yes, both are so prevalent they erected a very large sign just to get this message across) :yes:

w2amr
09-07-2011, 11:33 AM
There's a bunch of them here, new.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search.oap?keyword=window+regulator&year=2001&make=Dodge&model=Dakota&vi=1380428
I'll be damn, I didn't know they were sold aftermarket, I'll have to keep that in mind. Wonder what kind of quality They are?

W3MIV
09-07-2011, 11:34 AM
I'll be damn, I didn't know they were sold aftermarket, I'll have to keep that in mind. Wonder what kind of quality They are?

Badger Charles into ordering one and get a full report.

NQ6U
09-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Don't try to buy one from a Republican. They're against regulating anything other than a woman's uterus.

KG4CGC
09-07-2011, 12:22 PM
I'll have to check into O'Reilly but the website isn't cooperating. It's gets to where it asks left, right or all and I click left and go and it does it all over again without showing product.

About getting one for another, less used door. looks like that is what someone already tried to do. It is a complete unit. You can't change just a dead motor of a broken part. The cables, slide and motor are will no longer function correctly if you try to take any of it apart unless you have the factory tool/machines to make it so. It looks like they used a passenger door unit and flipped the tracks. This put stress on the cable guides. God I hate stupid, cheap ass, arrogant people who think cutting corners is smart because they saved a nickel. Now if they simply didn't have any other choice in a situation then that's different. In this case it will work for a while but the the cables to the slider and motor must be kept straight not curved 180°.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=2001+dakota+window+regulator&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=55l6423l1l7516l16l16l0l1l1l0l184l1802l4.11l 15l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.&biw=1680&bih=840&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

See the "I" style? With the cables and motor it kind of resembles a "Y". Not the "X" or scissor style. That's what I'm dealing with. Imagine flipping the slider around to bolt into the opposite door. See why it's a bad idea?

NQ6U
09-07-2011, 12:29 PM
I'll have to check into O'Reilly but the website isn't cooperating. It's gets to where it asks left, right or all and I click left and go and it does it all over again without showing product.

It took me a couple of tries but I got in by selecting "Show All." See if this link works for you:

WØTKX
09-07-2011, 12:37 PM
Yes. That was a dumb move on somebody's part. Luckily the motor can be removed easily on the Integra regulator. Quite the Rube Goldberg contraptions. ain't they?

http://img.weburbanist.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Rube-Goldberg-Drawings.gif

KG4CGC
09-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the links. Had to hit the button several times. Looks like $90 from O'Reilly. Direct from Dorman online is between 45 and 60.

I guess I could order online or go junkin'. I bolted up the slide to hold the window up with a device that is a clamp, tightened with a pair of 3/8" Allen head bolts. Nice!

Just for future reference, the motor on this device would be perfect for winding in and out, an antenna. Either to pull a whip over/down for clearance in a mobile environment or to wind in a wire on a mast or tree. The possibilities are endless.

w2amr
09-07-2011, 02:20 PM
When you are putting the new one on in be careful. Us plenty of tape to hold the window up. If the tape slips ,the window will come down like a guillotine and make you feel badly. Been there , done that.

KG4CGC
09-07-2011, 02:37 PM
Jebus! Don't I know it! You can jam the glass at an angle that can easily be realigned when fitting the new unit. Yeah, we used tape for the first 10 hours. At least the door panel comes off with screws. To many times I've run into to those damn clips that break off the plastic tabs.
Thanks, George.

When you are putting the new one on in be careful. Us plenty of tape to hold the window up. If the tape slips ,the window will come down like a guillotine and make you feel badly. Been there , done that.

kb2crk
09-07-2011, 02:38 PM

I just pulled the windows out until it was time to reconnect them to the regulators. then i used wedges to lock the window until the pins were lined up and retainers put back on.

KG4CGC
09-07-2011, 02:40 PM
I just pulled the windows out until it was time to reconnect them to the regulators. then i used wedges to lock the window until the pins were lined up and retainers put back on.
This one is easy. A tight U channel holds it from the bottom. The front and back of the glass is framed in slots that travel to almost the bottom of the door.

W5GA
09-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Neither did I until about a month ago...got a new project (95 Explorer), and was looking for window motors. Just happened across them in the search.