PDA

View Full Version : Talk About the weather

n2ize
09-06-2011, 05:36 PM
it's been pouring for at least the past 12 hours. This is on top of the already saturated and flooded ground that Irene pissed upon. I expect more flooding in the northeast should this continue much longer. Apparently this is due to a stationary front drawing in lots of moisture.

NA4BH
09-06-2011, 05:59 PM
It's Lee. Just be thankful he is keeping Katia away from the East coast.

n2ize
09-06-2011, 06:16 PM
It's Lee. Just be thankful he is keeping Katia away from the East coast.

Thank you Lee... :) Better the rain that Irene's sister Katia.

NOW !! BRING ON THE NOR' EASTERS !!!

w3bny
09-07-2011, 11:29 AM
And my Dad down in 5'land (SATX) is just lighting candles for half of what we are getting over here!

W3MIV
09-07-2011, 11:45 AM
We are getting plenty here, fer shure. Street is too full for the storm drains to handle the run off; looks like the Ganges in front of the house. Pray for the folks downstream -- their plight is as bad as those innocent Texicans who are suffering their own form of Hades.

KG4CGC
09-07-2011, 11:59 AM
A little rain yesterday but more on Monday. Overcast today with a current temp of 64 and an expected (?) high of 74. I kind of doubt we'll get there since it's almost 1pm EDT now. Expecting it to get into the 80s tomorrow. This string of weather is a real change from the 90s we've had all last week and before that even. All anyone did at Shelby was complain about the heat.

w3bny
09-07-2011, 12:13 PM
We are getting plenty here, fer shure. Street is too full for the storm drains to handle the run off; looks like the Ganges in front of the house. Pray for the folks downstream -- their plight is as bad as those innocent Texicans who are suffering their own form of Hades.

Talking to my dad this morning "Oh son, the weather was wonderful here yesterday....it was only 91 degrees" Sheesh pop..have folks dying in the streets here!

NQ6U
09-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Hot and uncharacteristically humid for SoCal the past couple of days. It hit 95° with very high humidity (I don't have a hygrometer) yesterday and albout all I could do was sit under the ceiling fan and post to the Island all day. Anything more strenuous than that and my shirt was soaked immediately.

W3MIV
09-07-2011, 01:08 PM
This reminds me very strongly of Agnes in 1972, when Ellicott City (proper) was under about thirty feet of water. The normally laughable little Tiber River that comes down the hill through EC to meet the P. became a raging demon. Agnes came north along a similar route as Lee. Fortunately (though it played hell with the river for a very long time before it could recover) the Patapsco River was drag-lined by the Corps and most of the obstructions (dams) that Agnes did not breach have since been removed. Tore all hell out of the B&O's Old Main Line which was out of service for more than a year. Now, very nearly forty years after, the Patapsco yields some very fine smallmouth during the spring flood right above the Frederick Road bridge.

I remember well the brandy new Ford Maverick I drove through an intersection that was spindle-deep. Came out of the water and had no brakes at all. Zero. Zip. Mashed the pedal as hard as I could and had absolutely NO effect on the forward motion of the auto. Sailed right through a red light; happily nothing was coming from either direction. Talk about a pucker-factor.

NA4BH
09-07-2011, 10:11 PM
HERE WE GO

Hello Nate (http://news.yahoo.com/tropical-storm-nate-forms-gulf-mexico-211140132.html)

W3MIV
09-08-2011, 04:57 AM
Still raining like all hell here. I am off to SC for the weekend. Don't much like to think of I-95 in this weather (or any other, for that matter). I shall be without a computer during the interim, though I will have email through the iPhone, so I shall say ta-ta 'til next week.

Don't bruise each other too badly whilst I am away. (Wait 'til I return so I can delight in the fight. ;) )

K7SGJ
09-08-2011, 11:59 AM
HERE WE GO

Hello Nate (http://news.yahoo.com/tropical-storm-nate-forms-gulf-mexico-211140132.html)

And here I thought you were talking about MOT's buddy.

W3MIV
09-08-2011, 05:08 PM
I had to cancel my plans for SC due to the horrendous traffic that resulted from flooding and road closures. Am now in Lewes DE checking out some real estate and marveling at the Atlantic surf. Chill, but it finally stopped raining. Can't wait for Maria to get here.

kc7jty
09-08-2011, 05:18 PM
Possibility of decent beer at Dogfish Head, Rehoboth, although I'd doubt lager.

http://www.ratebeer.com/maps/print-838.htm

W3MIV
09-09-2011, 06:40 AM
Possibility of decent beer at Dogfish Head, Rehoboth, although I'd doubt lager.

http://www.ratebeer.com/maps/print-838.htm

I am looking at real estate in a new development (Cannery Village) that next to the Dogfish Brewery.

W3MIV
09-09-2011, 06:43 AM
If I seem more spastic tjan usual, it is because I am posting via the iPhone. The tiny on-screen keyboard is not easy for fingers of my sixe and dexterity.

NQ6U
09-09-2011, 11:56 PM
If that Arizona Public Service Co. employee had waited until today to make his big goof, the results might not have been nearly so spectacular. Temps dropped 15-20°F overnight and the demand for power dropped immensely—a good thing since SDGE has said that the grid is still "fragile" and requested that everyone try to conserve power as much as possible.

WØTKX
09-10-2011, 09:10 AM
The iPhone keyboard is a PITA. :yes:

The record breaking hot weather (26 days over 90 degrees) in August finally "broke" about ten days ago.

It's been soooo nice in CO. Lows of 50, highs in the 70's. Ahhhhhhhhh.

NQ6U
09-10-2011, 11:38 AM
The iPhone keyboard is a PITA. :yes:

It just takes practice. I can type reasonably fast on mine and I've got pretty big mitts.

WØTKX
09-10-2011, 12:06 PM
I hold it sideways and use the "blackberry thumb method".

w2amr
09-11-2011, 04:01 AM
HERE WE GO

Oh shit, not again. Can't they throw dry ice at it or something?

KJ3N
09-11-2011, 08:56 AM
Am now in Lewes DE checking out some real estate and marveling at the Atlantic surf.

Lewes? :wtf:

You do realize that you'll be right in prime moran territory, right? That county voted for Christine O'Donnell in the 2010 Senate race. :nuts:

Be afraid.... be very afraid.... :scared:

W3MIV
09-12-2011, 03:29 AM
Lewes? :wtf:

You do realize that you'll be right in prime moran territory, right? That county voted for Christine O'Donnell in the 2010 Senate race. :nuts:

Be afraid.... be very afraid.... :scared:

Yup. Sussex is looney-tunes country politically, but as a shooting Democrat I am used to surviving among the bent and uninformed Republicans and tea-maggots who make up such majorities. Great RE deals, however, and veddy low taxes, especially for an old duffer on the edge of posterity.

ab1ga
09-12-2011, 04:34 PM
Yup. Sussex is looney-tunes country politically, but as a shooting Democrat I am used to surviving among the bent and uninformed Republicans and tea-maggots who make up such majorities. Great RE deals, however, and veddy low taxes, especially for an old duffer on the edge of posterity.

Albi, please consider the political impact. Your vote will be washed away in a tsunami of Tea, and frustration will be your reward.
Move to a 50/50 district, where your voice will contribute to breaking a deadlock.
Or, if you insist on relocating to Sussex Co., you should consider running for office :)

NQ6U
09-12-2011, 05:19 PM
Or, if you insist on relocating to Sussex Co., you should consider running for office :)

Where his shooting skills might come in handy.

KJ3N
09-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Where his shooting skills might come in handy.

2nd Amendment remedies? ;)

NQ6U
09-12-2011, 10:20 PM
2nd Amendment remedies? ;)

I was thinking more along the lines of self-defense but that works too.