PDA

View Full Version : Irenen sure cleansed the environment

W1GUH
09-06-2011, 12:48 PM
The air in NYC has been very, very fresh and clean ever since. Guess the rain rinsed away all the dirt and grime on everything and in the air, and the wind dried everything "Daisy Fresh!" Pity such a cleansing does so much damage in other places. Sigh.

Plus, the moon was looking very, very clear and detailed last week. If only the jerky landlord hadn't closed the roof to us...must been some very good "seeing" nights.

Wish we could make a non-destructive artificial hurricane with wich to periodically cleanse the environment.

KG4CGC
09-06-2011, 12:49 PM
The air in NYC has been very, very fresh and clean ever since. Guess the rain rinsed away all the dirt and grime on everything and in the air, and the wind dried everything "Daisy Fresh!" Pity such a cleansing does so much damage in other places. Sigh.

Wish we could make a non-destructive artificial hurricane with wich to periodically cleanse the environment.
I guess that city got an enema.

NQ6U
09-06-2011, 12:55 PM
I know the feeling—it's raining here today for the first time in months. While rain in September is uncommon, dry weather throughout the summer is normal for SoCal, as are the morans who forget how to drive in the rain during the intervening months. I had to drive the XYL into work today and the amount of stoopid on the road was astonishing.

w3bny
09-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Dont worry, the Mexicans will be back. And with some El Salvadorans tambien!

n2ize
09-06-2011, 03:48 PM
You'd be surprised. The air is as polluted as ever.

W1GUH
09-06-2011, 04:44 PM
You'd be surprised. The air is as polluted as ever.

Well, yea, in Yonkers! ;):snicker:

n2ize
09-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Well, yea, in Yonkers! ;):snicker:

Go talk to NH. :mrgreen: Actually the air north is generally cleaner than most of NYC. Lots of trees and green space is what cleans it. The dangerous pollution is what you cannot see.

PA5COR
09-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Irene just passed us here in the netherlands as depresion, lots of rain, wind gusts op to 60 miles an hour.
Expecting a few nice days in the weekend, then the next one cruising for your coast will hit us...

W1GUH
09-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Go talk to NH. :mrgreen: Actually the air north is generally cleaner than most of NYC. Lots of trees and green space is what cleans it. The dangerous pollution is what you cannot see.

Like radiation?

n2ize
09-06-2011, 05:52 PM
Like radiation?

What level of radiation ?

w3bny
09-06-2011, 08:36 PM
OMG....do we need to activate a world wide echolink net?

WØTKX
09-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Actually, 'IzE and I have yakked on Echolink, and a few others joined us. Just the one time, but it was fun.

Now I read John's posts with the correct accent. :lol:

NQ6U
09-06-2011, 10:35 PM
Actually, 'IzE and I have yakked on Echolink, and a few others joined us. Just the one time, but it was fun.

Now I read John's posts with the correct accent. :lol:

I was dere. Jawn's gotta real Noo Yawk accent awlrite.

NA4BH
09-06-2011, 10:44 PM
I was dere. Jawn's gotta real Noo Yawk accent awlrite.

Does he say "VOD-KER"? :-D

N2NH
09-07-2011, 09:49 PM
One thing that has the local politicians upset is the River. The Hudson is RED. They were going to do a 'study' on it, but the Riverkeeper was almost laughing when he explained it was runoff and that clay from the river banks was in it. Red clay.I also went to Coney Island a few days after the storm. You'd never know it had been there. Hardly any damage compared to the Jersey coast and Long Island. In fact the beach looked a lot cleaner than usual. The rip currents were still strong so nobody was allowed to go deep into the ocean, but otherwise a nice place to get some sun.

n2ize
09-08-2011, 03:48 PM
One thing that has the local politicians upset is the River. The Hudson is RED. They were going to do a 'study' on it, but the Riverkeeper was almost laughing when he explained it was runoff and that clay from the river banks was in it. Red clay.I also went to Coney Island a few days after the storm. You'd never know it had been there. Hardly any damage compared to the Jersey coast and Long Island. In fact the beach looked a lot cleaner than usual. The rip currents were still strong so nobody was allowed to go deep into the ocean, but otherwise a nice place to get some sun.

Actually you are more likely to encounter rip currents when swimming in the shallower water closer to shore. Once you get into deeper water the rip current weakens rapidly. I've been caught in a rip current and it is scary. The trick of getting out of it is, to either swim at an angle to the shore until you are out of the rip current. As you swim the rip current may push you out into deeper water but, it will abate and you will be able to swim safely to shore.

The problem is most people panic, they start splashing and struggling to swim in perpendicular to the shore and as a result the remain trapped in the current and panic even more to the point of drowning or, a lifeguard rescue is required.

In California some surfers actually take advantage of rip currents. The deliberately catch the rip current to help propel them out into deeper water.

n2ize
09-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Does he say "VOD-KER"? :-D

It would be pronounced more like "vod-kah" in this region. In general with words that end in "er" we drop the "r" sound and replace it with "a" or "ah". For (or as we say "foa") example we generally pronounce "water" as "watah" or "wodah".

In upstate or in Western New York they pronounce things totally different. For example "water" upstate would be more like "what-ter" with a strong emphasis on the "er"