PDA

View Full Version : the screeching that never goes away

W2NAP
09-04-2011, 09:53 PM
not sure how many other deal with this. but in my ears i hear damn near a consistent buzz or tone sometimes chirps. god is it annoying.

to make matters worse. listening to radio, watching tv. it sounds like everyone is talking with a mouth full of mud. which makes radio hard.. the 430 i have I just cant use cant understand most of what people say (only time i seem to do ok is if the person is 20 over + ) I know someone with a IC-718 same issue and same with a FT-897

only promising thing is I can hear alot better with the TS-450 (super weak signals i have a hard time with if there is alot of noise) but tx on the 450 is dead.

bad part all these problems really got noticeable about a year or two ago.

K7SGJ
09-04-2011, 10:06 PM
May be Tinnitus. However, I hear about the same things you describe, but for me it occurred after some head injuries from a couple of nasty roll over wrecks. You are correct, sir. It does suck. Especially when you only get every third or fourth word when listening to the radio or watching the tube. It gets so loud at times, I'm surprised other peope around me don't hear it.

W2NAP
09-04-2011, 10:17 PM
exactly.

well today i pissed off someone Ive known all my life. they called i really couldnt hear wtf they was saying. i kept on huh? what you say? say that again?
well he got tired of repeating himself hung up.

K7SGJ
09-04-2011, 10:27 PM
Ive found if I just ask people to repeat something and let them know I'm having allot of trouble understanding what they are saying, they usually are willing to repeat, and talk a little louder and most importantly a little slower. That allows me a little extra time to piece together what is being said. For those who aren't so understanding, like Grandma used to say EFF-em.

W2NAP
09-04-2011, 10:32 PM
that usually works for me. but not always.

it is amazing how much your life dose change due to this

K7SGJ
09-04-2011, 10:38 PM
It definitely is an inconvenience. But I find you don't have to go very far to find someone a whole lot worse off.

KG4CGC
09-04-2011, 11:23 PM
Hearing is often taken for granted. Even with earplugs, years of factory work has damaged my hearing. There is always a background noise of some sort in my head. Not as bad as what you two have described but all things considered, I guess it could be worse.

NA4BH
09-04-2011, 11:37 PM
I have that problem too.

W3WN
09-04-2011, 11:39 PM
Same here. I have a touch of tinnitius, and it usually manifests itself when I'm tired.

K7SGJ
09-04-2011, 11:40 PM
Looks like we got enough for a 75M net.

NA4BH
09-04-2011, 11:46 PM
We could all talk at the same time and no one would know the difference :rofl:

KG4CGC
09-04-2011, 11:47 PM
Looks like we got enough for a 75M net.Throw in a prostate massage and you got yourself a roundtable.

NA4BH
09-04-2011, 11:47 PM
Throw in a prostate massage and you got yourself a roundtable.

Or a friend for life

K7SGJ
09-04-2011, 11:48 PM
Throw in a prostate massage and you got yourself a roundtable.

Damn, I just finish mine.

KG4CGC
09-04-2011, 11:49 PM
Or a friend for lifeOr a reach around.

kc7jty
09-04-2011, 11:54 PM
No chit! I thought I was the leader. Got my first hearing aid at age 17. Currently wear 2 and am at 75% loss both sides and dropping. Constant sound of the old droning prop airplanes of the 50s & 60s flying overhead.
Mine is hereditary called nerve deafness. All 4 siblings, mother, and cousins on mother's side have it.
I spent 3 days in the NIH in DC doing tests for the defect. It seems to be related to a genetic heart defect called long QT syndrome. I have that too buy very mild. My youngest brother however has it bad and got a pacemaker at age 30.

I have to have extension speakers or head phones on everything that produces AF. I hope yours doesn't get worse, or if it does, very slowly.
You must determine what aggravates it. For me aspirin, NSAIDS, & antibiotics make it worse permanently.

K7SGJ
09-04-2011, 11:56 PM
Dutch Rudder? Does that mean Maritime Mobile? Jeeze, don't let chuckles get wind of it. He'll think it's a sail mail plot and stroke out. Hmmm

KG4CGC
09-05-2011, 12:33 AM
Sounds analogous to a Dutch Putter.

NQ6U
09-05-2011, 12:50 AM
Yeah, I got a constant ringing in my left ear too. Most of the time I don't notice it but when I'm thinking about it, like now, it's pretty loud. My understanding of is that it's caused by damage to your middle ear; there are the little hairlike nerves there, each tuned to a specific frequency range. If they are damaged, your brain translates their absence as a constant tone at that frequency. It also renders you deaf to external sounds at the same frequency, which is probably why you have trouble understanding what people are saying.

NA4BH
09-05-2011, 12:57 AM
Yeah, I got a constant ringing in my left ear too. Most of the time I don't notice it but when I'm thinking about it, like now, it's pretty loud. My understanding of is that it's caused by damage to your middle ear; there are the little hairlike nerves there, each tuned to a specific frequency range. If they are damaged, your brain translates their absence as a constant tone at that frequency. It also renders you deaf to external sounds at the same frequency, which is probably why you have trouble understanding what people are saying.

Exactly. That's what causes most of the noise. The hair is bent over, triggering the sound.

W2NAP
09-05-2011, 01:51 AM

ahhh. makes sense . on the 430 ive tried headphones and external didnt help at all. the TS-450 i can get by with the internal speaker but external is best (with tx dead and having it at a local guy with no luck fixing im thinking the damn thing is unfixable) the IC-2100 i have internal is no go. external helps somewhat (as long as noise aint on the signal im good).

like i said ts-430,ic-718 and a ft-897 all sound like crap to me, but the ts-450 sounds best (450 series have the best rx/speaker section maybe?) idk

K7SGJ
09-05-2011, 09:44 AM
We covered that in a safety class I once had. I think the hairs are in the cochlea. The whole thing is shaped like a snail shell. One would think if the broken ear hairs cause that much ringing, that an old mans' ass should ring like the liberty bell.

W3MIV
09-05-2011, 09:49 AM
We covered that in a safety class I once had. I think the hairs are in the cochlea. The whole thing is shaped like a snail shell. One would think if the broken ear hairs cause that much ringing, that an old mans' ass should ring like the liberty bell.

You should see my friend Skip's nose -- like Big Ben...

N8YX
09-05-2011, 10:25 AM
Loud pipes on a number of motorcycles I've owned over the years have caused a bit of hearing loss in my left ear - but only for higher-pitched sounds. I can still hear voice frequencies fine.

I used to get tinnitus a lot when I smoked. After I quit...very infrequently. Go figure.

W2NAP
09-05-2011, 12:03 PM
one thing is for sure. it sucks

W3WN
09-05-2011, 12:16 PM
Dutch Rudder? Does that mean Maritime Mobile? Jeeze, don't let Chuckles get wind of it. He'll think it's a sail mail plot and stroke out. HmmmDon't tempt me.

N7YA
09-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Ive had this for years, it comes with the job i do. I wear in-ear monitors 3 nights a week, 4 sets a night. The first half of my playing career, i never wore ear protection...looking back, i think what an idiot i was! But i have a weird adaptation, a tin ear. Ever since i was a kid, i had trouble picking out what someone was saying to me in a quiet room from across the table, but i can pick out small sounds way across a noisy resturant. This odd condition serves me well when im DXing, i can pick out weak signals in massive traffic. Im also pretty solid in the studio. So i guess the constant ringing is the tradeoff for having these less-than-superhero abilities. :lol:

KG4CGC
09-05-2011, 01:42 PM
Loud pipes on a number of motorcycles I've owned over the years have caused a bit of hearing loss in my left ear - but only for higher-pitched sounds. I can still hear voice frequencies fine.

I used to get tinnitus a lot when I smoked. After I quit...very infrequently. Go figure.
Smoking also causes back problems. I suspect that it is a combination of the poison effect and the stimulant effect tightening the muscles on a constant basis. I can see the connection to tinnitus due to what I mentioned above.
Of course this is the cumulative effect after a period of time which varies by individual and environment.

kc7jty
09-05-2011, 06:12 PM
Mine started in earnest when I was smoking weed in the early 80s. Direct cause and effect.

N7YA
09-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Thats the second post on here about the connection between ringing and smoking. I never heard of that before....probably because i cant hear.

NQ6U
09-05-2011, 09:49 PM
Thats the second post on here about the connection between ringing and smoking. I never heard of that before....probably because i cant hear.

EH??? Quit yer mumblin' son! (Kids these days...)

N7YA
09-05-2011, 10:41 PM
Why are we on here complaining? This needs to be on 75m phone!

KG4CGC
09-05-2011, 11:09 PM
See page 1 ☺

W2NAP
09-06-2011, 02:02 AM

no 75 antenna, and if i did i couldnt hear anyone anyway.

N7YA
09-06-2011, 02:23 AM
See page 1 ☺

Eh? I need my meds....what were we talking about?

....i like soup....

NQ6U
09-06-2011, 10:06 AM
Eh? I need my meds....what were we talking about?

....i like soup....

I like soup too. I don't have to chew it with these damned false teeth. Let me tell you this: never buy 'em by mail—always get a fitting.

N7YA
09-06-2011, 10:35 AM
Well, there you have it. It looks like a lot of us have ringing ears, bad back, goiters, sore knee, etc....ask a bunch of hams, you are sure to be in good company. :lol:

suddenseer
09-06-2011, 11:06 AM
Ive had this for years, it comes with the job i do. I wear in-ear monitors 3 nights a week, 4 sets a night. The first half of my playing career, i never wore ear protection...looking back, i think what an idiot i was! But i have a weird adaptation, a tin ear. Ever since i was a kid, i had trouble picking out what someone was saying to me in a quiet room from across the table, but i can pick out small sounds way across a noisy resturant. This odd condition serves me well when im DXing, i can pick out weak signals in massive traffic. Im also pretty solid in the studio. So i guess the constant ringing is the tradeoff for having these less-than-superhero abilities. :lol:Wow, you just described my life hearing experiences. I had very sensitive hearing before I came down with the tinnitus. I had trouble concentrating in school, conversations, etc. My sound perception was overly sensitive with almost no selectivity. In school, if the windows were open the coach outside screaming at the kids and blowing the whistle was louder than the classroom chatter.

I developed tinnitus all in one day 13 years ago. It is my fault running qrp cw, and picking other signals out of the mud. AF gain almost full, headphones, loud music, headphones. At work, ambient sounds make it less pronounced. When I am trying to sleep, study, in quietness it sometimes drives me batty. I have the same problem on the phone, I prefer written messages. There is an MD advertising a medical procedure that minimizes, and even eliminates the problem in some cases. I was told by my doc, there is no cure. I have read about people committing suicde because the screeching won't allow them to sleep.

Which one of you said he had baby powder?

W3WN
09-06-2011, 11:14 AM
Well, there you have it. It looks like a lot of us have ringing ears, bad back, goiters, sore knee, etc....ask a bunch of hams, you are sure to be in good company. :lol:You know what's scary? We used to make some good-natured fun of the older/retired hams, who'd get on the repeaters after rush hour to talk about their ailments (and they often joined in on the gag as well).

Now we're becoming them.

N7YA
09-06-2011, 11:18 AM
We need some new hams, not to breathe life back into the hobby, but to make fun of us and then get old too....THATS how we survive as a hobby. :yes:

K7SGJ
09-06-2011, 11:54 AM
We need some new hams, not to breathe life back into the hobby, but to make fun of us and then get old too....THATS how we survive as a hobby. :yes:

Or perform CPR. UTs are standing by.

NQ6U
09-06-2011, 12:40 PM
Or perform CPR. UTs are standing by.

Yeah, someone's got to man the AED.

K7SGJ
09-06-2011, 12:41 PM

My wife used to use one of those.

KG4CGC
09-06-2011, 12:46 PM
http://www.lipoflavonoid.com/Pages/LipoHome
(http://www.lipoflavonoid.com/Pages/LipoHome)
Haven't tried it myself. Do it work?

W7XF
09-06-2011, 06:09 PM

Just as long as the man with the AED isn't KWW (he hates competition) xD

n2ize
09-06-2011, 06:43 PM
You know what's scary? We used to make some good-natured fun of the older/retired hams, who'd get on the repeaters after rush hour to talk about their ailments (and they often joined in on the gag as well).

Now we're becoming them.

Not me man. I am still full of pep and ambition. Me and my babe are gonna go out on the town and we're gonna live it up. Nobody is gonna tell me its time for me to pack it in. I'm my own boss and I make my own way. Nobody sells me. Man I'm flyin high ! None of this "retired old man", "over the hill" crap for me. I'm still movin strong like a young buckin tiger !!

W2NAP
09-07-2011, 12:20 AM
ive become a old fart...

N7YA
09-07-2011, 06:09 AM
Not me man. I am still full of pep and ambition. Me and my babe are gonna go out on the town and we're gonna live it up. Nobody is gonna tell me its time for me to pack it in. I'm my own boss and I make my own way. Nobody sells me. Man I'm flyin high ! None of this "retired old man", "over the hill" crap for me. I'm still movin strong like a young buckin tiger !!

:lol: I just imagine a couple of old geezers hobbling down the beach with sweaters draped over their shoulders, trying not to get their feet wet.

N7YA
09-07-2011, 06:10 AM
ive become a old fart...

At 45, im still a relatively fresh fart...the kind that moves people away from it and makes them mad.

NQ6U
09-07-2011, 09:30 AM

Get off my lawn, kid.

NA4BH
09-13-2011, 12:42 AM
I had more salt today than I usually do in any given monthly period. Ringing gone. Maybe something to it? I don't salt or sweeten my food, but today was a fast food experience. Weird.

NQ6U
09-13-2011, 01:00 AM
I had more salt today than I usually do in any given monthly period. Ringing gone. Maybe something to it? I don't salt or sweeten my food, but today was a fast food experience. Weird.

I kind of doubt that the salt had anything to do with it. Here's a picture of me at my last job:

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/2149570527_31f015574a.jpg

That's about 20 acres of salt I'm on and my ears still ring.