PDA

View Full Version : Nostalgiamania

K7SGJ
09-04-2011, 09:24 PM
This site is very well done, (actually awesome) and boy, does it take me back. Those were the days <Archie Bunker>

http://cruzintheavenue.com/CarsWeDrove.htm

KG4CGC
09-04-2011, 10:17 PM
It's pretty neat. Old cars are cool but ... they're so much cooler with modern running gear. Just my humble opinion. 68 through 74, before the emissions crap and after tweaking the old designs. Let's just say 1972. Those motors were the shit even though today's specs are tighter.

W5GA
09-04-2011, 10:23 PM
It's not that the motors were shit - they weren't. It's that the fuel delivery has gotten so much more precise. You don't wash down the cylinder walls anymore every time you start cold. Your oil as a result doesn't suffer from the extreme fuel dilution anymore. The assembly specs really haven't changed much at all.

KG4CGC
09-04-2011, 11:11 PM
It's not that the motors were shit - they weren't. It's that the fuel delivery has gotten so much more precise. You don't wash down the cylinder walls anymore every time you start cold. Your oil as a result doesn't suffer from the extreme fuel dilution anymore. The assembly specs really haven't changed much at all.

Sorry. In the modern vernacular, "the shit" mean that they were very good. In this case, very good for their time.

kc7jty
09-05-2011, 12:09 AM
good visit to the past.

kb2vxa
09-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Just one thing missing in the magazines and movies, Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!

w3bny
09-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Oh gawd...CARtoons... With rear tires 4 feet high, 9 inch fronts, an engine that would have trouble fitting in a B-52 and of course the stick shift that came out the roof...heh...and kids everywhere drawing it on there notebooks!

W1GUH
09-06-2011, 12:45 PM
It's pretty neat. Old cars are cool but ... they're so much cooler with modern running gear. Just my humble opinion. 68 through 74, before the emissions crap and after tweaking the old designs. Let's just say 1972. Those motors were the shit even though today's specs are tighter.

68 to 72? I doubt it. That was after the decline had happened. GM had quit racing and had banned multiple carbs, ergo, no tri-power. Golden days were before '66.

Especially taking into account styling changes dictated by safety regs. UGH!!!!!!!

WØTKX
09-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Not to mention the stickers.

I had Big Daddy stuff plastered all over the place like kids today have for skateboarding and snowboarding. :yes:

w3bny
09-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Not to mention the stickers.

I had Big Daddy stuff plastered all over the place like kids today have for skateboarding and snowboarding. :yes:

Scept our shit was paying homage to the timeless adage...

"There's no replacement for large displacement"

NQ6U
09-06-2011, 01:43 PM
Scept our shit was paying homage to the timeless adage...

"There's no replacement for large displacement"

I remember that, but it's not quite so true anymore. As I recall, the holy grail of street engine building back in those days was one horsepower per cubic inch displacement. Now engines come straight out of the factory that way.

w3bny
09-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Yeah-yeah...now we have blowers, turbos, nitromethane, AVGAS, Mr. Fusion...

NQ6U
09-06-2011, 01:53 PM
...fuel injection, multiple overhead cams, multiple intake and exhaust valves per cylinder. Engines are just a lot more sophisticated than they were back in the day. Harder to work on, too, but that's a whole different story.