PDA

View Full Version : Fall DX Season Starting Up

W3WN
09-02-2011, 09:23 AM
The Fall DX Season in the Northern Hemisphere is starting up. :clap:

A little bit of solar pimples aren't hurting, either.

Last few evenings, 30 meters has been open to Eastern Europe as late as Midnight EDT (probably later, but I've usually crashed for work by then). Worked a few UA3 stations without breaking much of a sweat. :mrgreen:

I'm really hoping 12 meters will break out of the summer doldrums now :pray: , I only need about 20 more entities to finish off DXCC on the band. On a good day, I should be able to do that in a few hours, I just need a good day (when I'm in the shack, not sitting at work)

N8YX
09-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Let's hope so. I am itching to put the Icom amplifier to work on the higher bands and see how it does.

Spent last evening setting up a new (to me) CT-17 interface. Have both R-7000s talking to HRD and ScanCAT at present; later tonight I plan to add a UX-14 to one of the shack's R-71As and set it up for HF/VHF master/slave operation. Should make S&P a lot easier.

W3WN
09-02-2011, 10:22 AM
I picked up an older (pre-MFJ!) Ameritron AL-84 amp from K3AIR a few weeks back, complete with multiple spare sets of tubes. I have to get that hooked up to the Corsair, as I want to use it on the 160 station.

When 12 is open, I won't need the power. 160? With my antennas? I need the power! 6 dB gain isn't a lot, but it beats nothing at all!

N8YX
09-02-2011, 11:02 AM
You must have a crappy radio, because everyone knows that 160 can be worked barefoot and with no antenna to speak of. ;)

WØTKX
09-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Co phased mirror mounted hamsticks on 160 FTW! :mrgreen:

NQ6U
09-02-2011, 11:36 AM
20m has been open to Eastern Europe as well, although it seems to have been less so the last couple of days. I've worked the Ukraine, European Russia, Serbia and Hungary this week.

W3WN
09-02-2011, 01:10 PM
You must have a crappy radio, because everyone knows that 160 can be worked barefoot and with no antenna to speak of. ;)Darn it all to heck, I must have jumped to the wrong channel.

Oh wait. We don't use channels. Well, except on 60 meters. Never mind.

KJ3N
09-02-2011, 02:31 PM
Fall DX Season Starting Up

To go right along with the Fall QRZ Contest Bitchfest Season. ;)

They'll all be crying next weekend; WAE Phone. :rofl:

W3WN
09-02-2011, 02:40 PM
To go right along with the Fall QRZ Contest Bitchfest Season. ;)

They'll all be crying next weekend; WAE Phone. :rofl:What else is new?

I mean, we can all predict the next handful of hot topics; an easy Top 10 list:

(10) Those damn contesters are rude
( 9 ) Those damn contesters are taking up the whole band
( 8 Those damn contesters had better stay off the WARC bands
( 7 ) Why are those damn contesters forcing me to the WARC bands
( 6 ) There is no #6, he is not a number, he is a free man
( 5 ) Packet (AX.25) will return, all other digital modes are dreck
( 4 ) Winlink is evil.
( 3 ) It's all the fault of the ARRL
( 2 ) The mods are bad people, where's my post? or why was my friend banned? or what do you mean no politics?
( 1 ) eBay buyers who outbid arachnophobes are rodents of the unnatural union of unmarried parents (ie Rat Bastards)

kb2vxa
09-02-2011, 03:36 PM
"You must have a crappy radio, because everyone knows that 160 can be worked barefoot and with no antenna to speak of."

Yeah, barefoot. (;->)

ad4mg
09-02-2011, 07:08 PM
What else is new?

I mean, we can all predict the next handful of hot topics; an easy Top 10 list:

(10) Those damn contesters are rude
( 9 ) Those damn contesters are taking up the whole band
( 8 Those damn contesters had better stay off the WARC bands
( 7 ) Why are those damn contesters forcing me to the WARC bands
( 6 ) There is no #6, he is not a number, he is a free man
( 5 ) Packet (AX.25) will return, all other digital modes are dreck
( 4 ) Winlink is evil.
( 3 ) It's all the fault of the ARRL
( 2 ) The mods are bad people, where's my post? or why was my friend banned? or what do you mean no politics?
( 1 ) eBay buyers who outbid arachnophobes are rodents of the unnatural union of unmarried parents (ie Rat Bastards)

Winlink is evil ... :)

N8YX
09-02-2011, 07:30 PM
I had a discussion with a coworker today - guy is a semi-serious 160/80M contester. Asked him if he's been playing much radio lately. His answer: "Every time I turn the rig on I hear less and less activity, even on the weekends. I really feel that ham radio is dying as a hobby..."

So where are all those anti-contest weekend warriors during these perceived lulls? Can they not even be bothered to transmit a CQ, but instead will immediately cry "foul" if someone else is having 'radio fun' on their band(s)?

W3WN
09-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Well, on the lines of "if a tree falls in a forest, and no one is around, does it make a sound?"...

If a contester calls "CQ Contest" on a clear frequency, is there a ragchew inconveniced?

K7SGJ
09-02-2011, 10:33 PM
If a fish swims into the side of the tank, do his eyes water?

ad4mg
09-03-2011, 05:26 AM
If a fish swims into the side of the tank, do his eyes water?
Profound! I'll be "bowed up" for months pondering this ... :rofl:

W3WN
09-03-2011, 08:11 AM
If a fish swims into the side of the tank, do his eyes water?And never forget:

If tin whistles are made out of tin, what are fog horns made out of?

N8YX
09-03-2011, 08:38 AM
And never forget:

If tin whistles are made out of tin, what are fog horns made out of?
I don't know but it sure tastes like chicken...