PDA

View Full Version : Bicycle mobile...

KC2UGV
09-01-2011, 08:10 PM
So, I found a bracket locally that works for my application. It's a "3 way mirror antenna mount". I have my HTX-420 mounted on the stem of the handlebar, antenna mounted on the rear chainstay, with the antenna feed following the downtube.

Antenna mount on the left hand chainstay... I probably should have gotten the angled mount, so I could have put it on the upper chainstay. Oh well. I came up with a nifty method of keeping the antenna from whipping around too much: A zip tie around the antenna, held in place by 2 zip ties from luggage rack.

Entire bike from the rear. I have a solar panel mounted on the luggage rack, but I'm not sure this will stay on the system. It's supposed to trickle charge the handy, but it aint putting out 12V like it should. I think I need a blocking diode (I thought it was in there already)

HTX-420 mounted on the stem. I fed the antenna and power lines along the same routing as the gear shifter cables, and the brake cables. Left enough clearance and slack to allow full range of motion on turns.

Last step is finding an earpiece/microphone which will give me a PTT button. I don't know if I'll worry too much. I'll see how it works out. Going on a test ride tommorow, and I'll let you guys know how it works. I'll be out and about during rush hour (I'm on vacation), so I'll hit the commuters :)

NQ6U
09-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Good luck with that. Around these parts, just trying to stay alive on a bicycle is hard enough without the distraction of trying to work mobile. Hell, I don't even have a mobile rig in my car.

K7SGJ
09-01-2011, 08:58 PM
Save room on the handlebars for a bell.

NQ6U
09-01-2011, 09:19 PM

Not to mention a one-touch 911 call button.

KG4CGC
09-01-2011, 09:32 PM
You going hilltop roving?

N8YX
09-02-2011, 03:41 AM
We have mounts for a VX-6 and VX-7 on our bikes.

ETA:

My Camber 29er with VX-7R on the Erie and Ohio Canal towpath trail:

http://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=4121&d=1304987365

KC2UGV
09-02-2011, 08:03 AM

Already there :) Required to ride on the road.

Not to mention a one-touch 911 call button.

I have a cell mount there too. Not one touch, but close enough.

You going hilltop roving?

Thinking about it. Working up mileage to do a 200 mile tour next summer. Up to around 20 miles a pop, so I'll have some areas with hills soon in my reach :)

We have mounts for a VX-6 and VX-7 on our bikes.

ETA:

My Camber 29er with VX-7R on the Erie and Ohio Canal towpath trail:

http://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=4121&d=1304987365

Nice setup (I like the Specialized)! How's the antenna mounted right on the radio work for you? I was thinking of that, but figured a handy could use all the antenna it can get. And, interestingly enough, I ride the Erie Towpath too :)

N8YX
09-02-2011, 08:32 AM
Nice setup (I like the Specialized)! How's the antenna mounted right on the radio work for you? I was thinking of that, but figured a handy could use all the antenna it can get. And, interestingly enough, I ride the Erie Towpath too :)

It works as well as can be expected. Good for bike to bike comms and I can work all of the locals on simplex. Most of the repeaters can also be accessed. I would have gone with your antenna solution too but the kickstand mount is all I am going to fit on that swingarm.

Next year I plan to get a Rockhopper and build it into a trail bike. It'll have a version of the Topeak rack which mounts solidly to the braze-ons and the top stay, and I may be able to rig an effective dual or triband antenna mount to it then use a Comet or Diamond SO-239 based receptacle and mini-coax assembly to feed it.

Would be nice to have an FT-817 aboard but that is getting a little heavy.

KC2UGV
09-02-2011, 01:15 PM
It works as well as can be expected. Good for bike to bike comms and I can work all of the locals on simplex. Most of the repeaters can also be accessed. I would have gone with your antenna solution too but the kickstand mount is all I am going to fit on that swingarm.

Next year I plan to get a Rockhopper and build it into a trail bike. It'll have a version of the Topeak rack which mounts solidly to the braze-ons and the top stay, and I may be able to rig an effective dual or triband antenna mount to it then use a Comet or Diamond SO-239 based receptacle and mini-coax assembly to feed it.

Would be nice to have an FT-817 aboard but that is getting a little heavy.

There's another mount, which has the antenna at a 45 deg angle to the mount. After mounting it on the lower chainstay, I realized the 45 deg mount would have been better, as I could have put it on the upper side of the chainstay. Live and learn, I suppose, but something you might want to look at.

As an aside, the solar panel is working. Maybe not as good as can be, but it is trickle charging the handy. Have to remember there are two ports: Power and charge. I needed to be connected to battery charge.

Might switch it if I decide to put a small 12V SLA battery on the bike. Then, I'll float charge the SLA, and power the handy from it. Also, looking at maybe an FT-817ND to install instead. All bands, plus QRP? Can't lose. I wonder how much it weighs though. Might need to install in where a pannier would go.

KG4CGC
09-02-2011, 03:20 PM
I tried one of those little wheel mounted generators but when I hit 20 mph, it burned out all my lights. Voltage regulator anyone?

KC2UGV
09-02-2011, 03:29 PM
I tried one of those little wheel mounted generators but when I hit 20 mph, it burned out all my lights. Voltage regulator anyone?

Yeah, I prefer to use those to charge something, rather than run direct. Call me silly, but I like steady, not fluctuating DC voltages.

K7SGJ
09-02-2011, 03:30 PM
When you get to 19 mph, ease your foot into the spokes. Oh, speaking of spokes, don't forget to put some cards or balloons in the spokes. You'll probably look stupid, but it does sound cool. Specially the balloons.

KG4CGC
09-02-2011, 04:18 PM
When you get to 19 mph, ease your foot into the spokes. Oh, speaking of spokes, don't forget to put some cards or balloons in the spokes. You'll probably look stupid, but it does sound cool. Specially the balloons.
Good plan but, I need the speed for the hills. The rolling hills here attracted the early Scots because it reminded them of their homeland.

KC2UGV
09-02-2011, 04:47 PM

I have aero spokes... Don't work too well lol

suddenseer
09-02-2011, 04:52 PM
I WANT ONE!!!

N8YX
09-02-2011, 07:24 PM
There's a guy in Colorado who will build a set of 29er 'burly wheels' (his description) to order. I conversed with him earlier in the year about putting a set together for me and building a Shimano Alfine generator hub into the front. No problem...and it'll power a Supernova E3 Triple, which is almost as bright as the auxiliary driving lights on my Concours. Plan is to put my Captains (tires shown in picture) on the new rims and run a set of 47mm Continental Country Tours on the smaller (OEM) rims. The long-term goal for both of us is to have several 29"-wheeled bikes and a variety of generator-hub wheel sets which use the same size brake rotors (203mm front; 185mm rear) and a Shimano 9sp cassette.

The Alfine hub is a semi-regulated 6v unit, unfortunately...but I might be able to rig a charger for the VX style Li-Ion batteries which we both carry. That, or plug into the rigs directly.

KC2UGV
09-02-2011, 07:57 PM
There's a guy in Colorado who will build a set of 29er 'burly wheels' (his description) to order. I conversed with him earlier in the year about putting a set together for me and building a Shimano Alfine generator hub into the front. No problem...and it'll power a Supernova E3 Triple, which is almost as bright as the auxiliary driving lights on my Concours. Plan is to put my Captains (tires shown in picture) on the new rims and run a set of 47mm Continental Country Tours on the smaller (OEM) rims. The long-term goal for both of us is to have several 29"-wheeled bikes and a variety of generator-hub wheel sets which use the same size brake rotors (203mm front; 185mm rear) and a Shimano 9sp cassette.

The Alfine hub is a semi-regulated 6v unit, unfortunately...but I might be able to rig a charger for the VX style Li-Ion batteries which we both carry. That, or plug into the rigs directly.

Yeah, if you're custom building a front wheel, there's no reason to not put a hub generator in there. Unless you're building an eBike.

N8YX
10-16-2011, 10:12 AM
Update - I'm building a whole new bike!

The Camber I have is a nice "mountain" bike but after riding a full-susser for a while this season, one realizes that it probably isn't the best choice for general trail and limited road work. I looked long and hard at various hardtail MTB offerings then drew up a set of prerequisites. These were based on the thought of component re-usability (namely, wheels) between our bikes:

29er a must;
Disc brakes - preferably, Avid Juicy 3s or better;
11-34t, 9sp cassette;
3sp 22/33/44t crankset;

I found what I was after in a 2011 Specialized Rockhopper Pro 29er. For all intents and purposes, it is a hardtail version of the Camber but with a Recon Silver (rather than a Gold) fork and 160mm brake rotors. Problem is...Specialized closed them out and none were to be had in any dealers' showrooms or warehouses. At least in my size (21").

Of course, the customer-service-oriented outfits will always inform you that they can order one...that's why their shops make the sale and the big guys don't.

So...I have a 'Hopper sitting in my dining room and I'm about to begin customizing. As far as a radio is concerned - I hatched up a way to fit a folding bracket to a Topeak rear rack, and will mount a dual or triband whip to it. Given that the dynamo output is 6v and the VX6/VX7 really likes to see at least 7.4v in order to charge correctly, some kind of conversion scheme is in order.

Digikey and Mouser have many subminiature DC/DC converters from which to choose, and as soon as I can lay my hands on an Alfine dynamo then check its output waveform on a scope, I'll have an idea of how to proceed with conditioning and conversion.