PDA

View Full Version : Hooch Making Update v1

rot
09-01-2011, 07:25 AM
Back in the woods, we toted our corn, our sugar, and whatnot to run little operations of a clandestine nature to get you what you wanted. Nowadays, keeping you in mind, we might just switch to some grass cuttings,ragweed, stalks, or other junk cause we have being screwing with your food sources and we do apologize for that.
We have found a little help here from a brown-rot fungus isolate.
Just some heads up info for my Island buds on GH61..a little protein hooch makers been checking out to rethink that front-end process which has been getting everybody all bent out of shape. Got a ways to go on it yet and this is just a linky to an abstract, but you can pull up the guts if you dare.

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2011/08/25/1105776108.abstract

Thank ye.
Clyde and Wilford wants you to drive safely, drink responsibly, and get these damn "noo-ers" off our ass.

Brownrot,NC
rot

w3bny
09-01-2011, 08:06 AM
Hmm...good ol fashioned hooch.

N8YX
09-01-2011, 08:19 AM
Belgian Abbey Dubel. There's a local brew shoppe which carries a kit for this 'flavor'; $35 and a bit of your time gets you some absolutely kick-a$$ suds.

The place also carries a kit for a Trippel, which is even higher power.

I don't have the facilities to make corn squeezins but a couple of my buddies and I are collectively set up to brew beer. Will have to do with stouts and ales for now.

rot
09-01-2011, 09:08 AM
Fermentation is a sweet (as in versatile) process. It delivers ton of opportunity in a modern day world,IMHO. Distallation is cool, but mainly a means of purification. The balence of scale depending on what you are trying to acheive can go from backyard basement for taste bud pleasure to full blown industrial scale for fuel. GH61 offers utility to the latter and not so much for taste buds. Beer is one of my all time favorites. Beer making is ulta cool if you can keep it clean. If you want crank out a sloppy mash then distill that'll work as well. The permutations of all these proceesses recombined in different ways and scales is definitely a fun thing to play with.
I would love to run a more serious homebrew at the 10 or 20 gal brew kettle scale because you can make some fine stuff. Cleaning equiptment is key here and I would have to dump some bucks for a steam clean in line type deal...dunno. I am also thinking of installing some alcohol burners for the big house under the assumtpion that I could in the future vat ferment a bit of grass cuttings, distill, and make some alternative fuel for the winter. Just a notion on the latter and pondering. Fermentation has help to pay the bills here for a long time as has been quite a fun and curious ride.
rot

n2ize
09-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Here was my recipe for Chemisty Lab hooch.

1) Plain white cane sugar dissolved in lukewarm water in a large Florence or round bottom flask
2) 1 package Fleichmann's baking yeast
3) Mix the 2 ingredients together
4) Fit a one hole stopper to the flask and attach a piece of tubing the end of which is immersed in a shallow beaker of water.
5) Allow to ferment for 2 or 3 days or until fermentation is finished,
6) When finished attach a water jacketed condenser and distill off no more than 10-20% of the volume of the contents.
7) Drink (if you can).

Materials required: Round bottom boiling flask (1 litre or larger)
Granulated white sugar
Water
Fleichmann's fast acting baking yeast
1 beaker
1 hole rubber or cork stopper to fit flask
Glass and rubber tubing (for attaching to flask and condenser)
Bunsen burner or hot plate
1 large water jacket condenser
Erlenmeyer flask (for collecting the distilled hooch).

kc7jty
09-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Damn hemp farmers.