PDA

View Full Version : Never thought I'd start this thread...

KU0DM
08-31-2011, 10:57 PM
But I've been out of the hobby for a while and... ;)

No but seriously, despite going to Costa Rica again this summer and occasional hamming up at KU (best excuse to go hang out with the big boys/girls ever), I haven't been on the air a whole lot. Admittedly (and I hang my head in shame), I sold my FT-897D with the tuner, batteris, etc. etc. to finance some wheels. Lately I've found myself up to my ears with school, sports, journalism, girls, you name it. However with the winter upon us, I'll be having a little more time on cold Kansas nights to spend hamming. Not only that, but I miss it.

Looking at radios, and not only has a lot changed but I don't remember as much as I used to (at one point I could rattle model numbers off the top of my head with a mental picture) and need advice. Am looking at something used so I can buy a little bit nicer of a rig, mainly will be used for CW, most likely on the lower bands. Pretty fair budget, did a lot of work this summer, but still would like to stay under one grand, maybe closer to $700.

Been considering a KX1 or K1, call me crazy for wanting to do QRP under these conditions, but considering the majority of my operating will be late at night and on 30 or 40 I'm not ruling QRP out. Plus being able to pack it with me to the farm or when the guys and I go camping would be an added bonus.

Can't believe I'm only 16 (almost 17) and been licensed for 5+ years and here I feel like a geezer. Not that any of you would relate ;)

Have at me!

kc7jty
09-01-2011, 12:21 AM
Is the winter coming upon us already? What takes you to the rich coast de America central?

and here I feel like a geezer
it gets worse

NQ6U
09-01-2011, 01:01 AM
Yaesu FT-450D? Should be able to get one of those for under a grand new and possibly $700 used. Not my favorite radio in the world and not exactly portible but more than adequate. For portability, I'd say an Icom IC-7000; you might be able to find a used one for around $1000, possibly a bit less.

W3WN
09-01-2011, 07:58 AM
Hey kid! Where's my QSL card? And get off my lawn, you young whippersnapper...

(There, now you don't feel old anymore)

A K1 or KX1 will be a QRP rig, IIRC. Aren't they 10 W out? For that price range, you should be able to find a used Argonaut V, with more capabilities, and 25 W out. If you go a little older, you'll find some Omni VI and VI+, even an Omni V, at a good price.

Now, if you want to just borrow a rig for awhile, I recently picked up a nice vintage hybrid -- Kenwood TS-520. You're welcome to use it indefinitely... once we figure out how to get it to you...

W3WN
09-01-2011, 08:01 AM
Oh, and a small word of advise... curling up on a cold winter's evening with a radio is a good thing. Curling up for the night with a young lady(*) is a better thing. Please keep your priorities in order.

(*) just don't let her parents catch you

KA9MOT
09-01-2011, 08:09 AM
One of our locals has a Yaesu FT-990 for sale for less then $700. An amazing radio at a decent price. His call kf4jed.

http://classifieds.outfitters.com/advert.php?advert=112730

KA9MOT
09-01-2011, 08:10 AM
Oh, and a small word of advise... curling up on a cold winter's evening with a radio is a good thing. Curling up for the night with a young lady(*) is a better thing. Please keep your priorities in order.

Very good advice!

N8YX
09-01-2011, 09:02 AM

The solution to the above (for all you scholastically inclined types) is spelled C-O-U-G-A-R.

Of course, T-E-A-C-H-E-R has also been known to work. ;)

W3WN
09-01-2011, 09:10 AM
(*) just don't let her parents catch youThe solution to the above (for all you scholastically inclined types) is spelled C-O-U-G-A-R.

Of course, T-E-A-C-H-E-R has also been known to work. ;)Some of those local teaching cougars have been getting 10 to 20 when they get caught.

N8YX
09-01-2011, 09:17 AM
Some of those local teaching cougars have been getting 10 to 20 when they get caught.

OPSEC: How does it work?

(Put another way: Where the heck were they when I was in high school...)

WØTKX
09-01-2011, 10:02 AM
It's a bit large for portable, but the Bartender's Corsair is up for sale, and that's a sweeeet CW rig. Killer RX.

Good on phone too.

KB3LAZ
09-01-2011, 10:26 AM
But I've been out of the hobby for a while and... ;)

No but seriously, despite going to Costa Rica again this summer and occasional hamming up at KU (best excuse to go hang out with the big boys/girls ever), I haven't been on the air a whole lot. Admittedly (and I hang my head in shame), I sold my FT-897D with the tuner, batteris, etc. etc. to finance some wheels. Lately I've found myself up to my ears with school, sports, journalism, girls, you name it. However with the winter upon us, I'll be having a little more time on cold Kansas nights to spend hamming. Not only that, but I miss it.

Looking at radios, and not only has a lot changed but I don't remember as much as I used to (at one point I could rattle model numbers off the top of my head with a mental picture) and need advice. Am looking at something used so I can buy a little bit nicer of a rig, mainly will be used for CW, most likely on the lower bands. Pretty fair budget, did a lot of work this summer, but still would like to stay under one grand, maybe closer to $700.

Been considering a KX1 or K1, call me crazy for wanting to do QRP under these conditions, but considering the majority of my operating will be late at night and on 30 or 40 I'm not ruling QRP out. Plus being able to pack it with me to the farm or when the guys and I go camping would be an added bonus.

Can't believe I'm only 16 (almost 17) and been licensed for 5+ years and here I feel like a geezer. Not that any of you would relate ;)

Have at me!

I like the K1. I dont have one but have had the chance to play around with one a time or two.

On a side note, it is nice to hear from you.

5 + years and you feel like a geezer. That is one of those "where did the time go, things". Before you know it you will be getting married and having kids, lol. Trust me, time will go even faster after you are out of school. It seems like just a few years ago I was 16...yet its been nearly a decade. Anyway, enjoy. :)

W3WN
09-01-2011, 10:39 AM
OPSEC: How does it work?

(Put another way: Where the heck were they when I was in high school...)Damned if I know. I didn't find them either. But they were showing up on the news about once a month or so for awhile there.

There was one teacher's aide who had a "party" of four or five teenage boys, in a local motel, overnight, with plenty of libations, and allegedly plenty of cell phone pictures taken that left little doubt about what they were doing (and with clear indications of tatoos in intimate places). Now, I didn't think she was that great looking, but as a teenager... I probably wouldn't have passed up the opportunity, if only I'd been asked...

N8YX
09-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Now, I didn't think she was that great looking, but as a teenager... I probably wouldn't have passed up the opportunity, if only I'd been asked...

Screen door in a hurricane. That, or like the fist of an angry god...

kb2vxa
09-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Forget the firkin radio, you only live once. Even Taj Mahal stands behind you on that one.

Champagne don't drive me crazy
Cocaine don't make me lazy
Ain't nobody's business but my own

Candy is dandy and liquor is quicker
You can drink all the liquor down at Costa Rica
Ain't nobody's business but your own

Man I don't care what in the world that you do
As long as you do what you say you going to
Ain't nobody's business but your own

W2NAP
09-01-2011, 01:49 PM
im not active ether. my hearing is shot. only working hf rig i got everyone sounds like they have a mouth full of mud no matter what i do.

ill prob sale everything in the near future

NQ6U
09-01-2011, 03:00 PM
im not active ether. my hearing is shot. only working hf rig i got everyone sounds like they have a mouth full of mud no matter what i do.

ill prob sale everything in the near future

Don't do that, try PSK31 instead. No hearing involved and you can work some pretty amazing DX with a very minimal station—40 watts and a wire antenna is all you need.

KC9ECI
09-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Meh. Don't worry about the radio right now. Drink, chase tail, raise a little hell. Come back to the radio after you're married, with children, and no longer have anything else in life to look forward to.

W2NAP
09-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Don't do that, try PSK31 instead. No hearing involved and you can work some pretty amazing DX with a very minimal station—40 watts and a wire antenna is all you need.

my prob is I like to talk

ki4itv
09-01-2011, 07:18 PM
Meh. Don't worry about the radio right now. Drink, chase tail, raise a little hell. Come back to the radio after you're married, with children, and no longer have anything else in life to look forward to.

I resemble that remark.

KG4CGC
09-01-2011, 10:48 PM
Hey Duncan, good to see you back.
Yes. The Corsair is for sale. It's a bit bulky for portable work but it is pretty light weight for its size. It has all the filters installed at the factory though. No SMTs, all through hole! Let me know soon if you're interested otherwise it's going to Shelby.

NQ6U
09-01-2011, 10:50 PM
all through hole!

You'd probably get banned from Teh Zed for saying that.

KG4CGC
09-01-2011, 11:04 PM
You'd probably get banned from Teh Zed for saying that.
Nah, not me.

X-Rated
09-01-2011, 11:35 PM
I should be in your neighborhood tomorrow, Duncan.

ad4mg
09-02-2011, 03:38 AM
Hey, Dunc! Nice to see you around, big guy!

Ref the 'conflict' within, go with the flow ... there's plenty of time to change direction, if necessary. No need to worry over these things until you get somewhere near my age!