PDA

View Full Version : Name association time - Transitional Early Childhood Age 3

X-Rated
08-30-2011, 08:46 PM
When you think of experts in the area of early childhood crap, what names pop into mind?

http://www.familiestogetherinc.org/resources/info/StepAheadBooklet.pdf

STEP AHEAD AT AGE 3 was produced by the Bridging early Services Transition Taskforce, a committee of the Coordinating Council on Early Childhood Developmental
Services in Kansas. Funds were contributed by Infant/Toddler Services, Kansas Department of Health and Environment, the Kansas State Board of Education, Bridging
Early Services Transition Project Outreach/Associated Colleges of Central Kansas, and the Council on Early Childhood Developmental Services. Editors include Pamela
Smith, Sharon Rosenkoetter and Carolyn Streufert. The following persons worked on the guide: Marnie Campbell, Linda Castleberry, Judy Dill, Suzanne Chapel, Ann
Davidson, Patty Gerdel, Lesli Girard, Teri Goodrich, Misty Goosen, Cyd McPhail, Kathy Johnson, Carolyn Nelson, Pam and Jerry Shirar, Linda Stack, Cynthia Shotts,
Vera Stroup and Patty Titus.

Amazing what you can find out about yourself on the entarwebs. I had almost forgotten about this. The program had also spread into Wisconsin. http://clas.uiuc.edu/fulltext/cl00003/cl00003.html

Kansas education was the best in the country when we were there making it great.

rot
08-30-2011, 09:49 PM
Good deal Jerry. We mainstreamed my son through a similar program. It was a rollercoaster ride for sure...up's and downs. Meetings..meetings..meetings.
IEP's, evaluation's, this and that from start to finish. Not sure if we could have survived without this support. He still has difficulties, but as many brillances as well.... The kids were general very nice and helped alot to fit him in.
Not involved to much now, but I image the education cuts will hit these programs hard which is a damn shame.
Guess I owe ya one bud or at least applaud yoiur efforts.
Rock on,
rot

X-Rated
08-30-2011, 09:58 PM
Good deal Jerry. We mainstreamed my son through a similar program. It was a rollercoaster ride for sure...up's and downs. Meetings..meetings..meetings.
IEP's, evaluation's, this and that from start to finish. Not sure if we could have survived without this support. He still has difficulties, but as many brillances as well.... The kids were general very nice and helped alot to fit him in.
Not involved to much now, but I image the education cuts will hit these programs hard which is a damn shame.
Guess I owe ya one bud or at least applaud yoiur efforts.
Rock on,
rot

We had quite an ordeal with my youngest son. Aspergers unofficially. Screaming constantly. He constantly kicked and hit me even when he was 3. Well, today he is making his daddy and mommy proud in college.

Don't thank me. I was in it for me at the time. My wife is the brains in this type of work.

Unfunding projects like this is a crime and should be treated as such.

rot
08-30-2011, 10:30 PM
Yeah my wife was his big champion. Our struggle was spina bifida , but somewhat lucky as he is at high function. He was a Russian adopt as well so we had language on top of the motor skills stuff to deal with at first.
Best to the son there man...I know it was worth all the moments of struggle...and to the rest of your lot.
rot

X-Rated
08-30-2011, 10:40 PM
Yeah my wife was his big champion. Our struggle was spina bifida , but somewhat lucky as he is at high function. He was a Russian adopt as well so we had language on top of the motor skills stuff to deal with at first.
Best to the son there man...I know it was worth all the moments of struggle...and to the rest of your lot.
rot

Your son is very fortunate to have you and your wife. No doubt that made a major difference. I would like to think my wife helped in some way there for you. We had some leaders there who were highly motivated and skilled in these areas. My wife worked on a ground breaking early childhood council in Austin TX back in 91 as well brought about by the governor. She was able to bring that information to the table in Kansas.

But my lord. Spina Bifida. Nothing takes more courage than to do what you and your wife did. I bow before you and honor your existence.

rot
08-31-2011, 03:26 AM
Well believe you me ... we are no saints. Lots of help by family so we never felt like we were alone. We entered the school system around 93 and alot of the Special needs issues were dealt with as your document describes. Not sure what we would have done without it. The private sector wanted nothing to do with him, even though we could pay. To much risk and bother as they say. Well I won't go there although I just did...
He does very well...sports a big grin mostly...loves him some sled hockey..so something went correctly. He is getting more and more independant which is good. Once he gets more experience in the driving department I am sure he will look more for his own way...which will effin kill us but you gots to let them go.
rot

X-Rated
08-31-2011, 07:56 AM
Well believe you me ... we are no saints. Lots of help by family so we never felt like we were alone. We entered the school system around 93 and alot of the Special needs issues were dealt with as your document describes. Not sure what we would have done without it. The private sector wanted nothing to do with him, even though we could pay. To much risk and bother as they say. Well I won't go there although I just did...
He does very well...sports a big grin mostly...loves him some sled hockey..so something went correctly. He is getting more and more independant which is good. Once he gets more experience in the driving department I am sure he will look more for his own way...which will effin kill us but you gots to let them go.
rot

You love your kid and have turned your lives upside down for him. You are saints. I will pray for him that he "effin kills" you guys (so to speak) when he is ready. I know he has already made you so proud.