PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Pa QSO Coming Up October 8 & 9

W3WN
08-30-2011, 11:04 AM
2011 Pennsylvania QSO Party (is this the 54th annual or 55th? I keep forgetting) is coming up in about 6 weeks as I type this, weekend of October 8th & 9th. Complete rules and past results can be found at http://www.nittany-arc.net/PAQSO.html

Most activity is on 40 meters daytime and early evening, shifting to 80/75 into the evening. There will be activity on the upper bands as well, and on 160 late Saturday night. Modes are CW, SSB, RTTY (Baudot) & PSK-31.

I will be running a multi-op single-transmitter station from home on behalf of my club, as usual. This in addition to two groups from the club who will be operating from "rare" counties, at least one or two mobiles running around WPa, and a bunch of people running single-op from home. I usually operate CS & SSB, if I can get the PSK station set up the way I want, we'll be on that as well, but that's not a given yet.

For any Islanders who are interested, if you'd like to come over and operate at W3WN during the course of the weekend, consider yourself invited. Just PM me for details and directions.

In addition, if anyone hears my station on the air during the weekend (even you DX!), I'd appreciate the call. (Oh, and if you can, work a few of the other guys in the event as well).

N8YX
08-30-2011, 01:10 PM
Will the Punxutawny Club be working this one?

NQ6U
08-30-2011, 01:40 PM
Will the Punxutawny Club be working this one?

Unless it sees its shadow, in which case the PA QSO Party will last six more weeks.

Jerry
08-30-2011, 03:25 PM
Punxsutawney club has no announcements - the next event on the clubs calendar will be the special event station which is set up for Groundhog's day and will be run on or about the Saturday of or the Saturday following Groundhogs day on 20 meters - 14.350 mhz and also on 40 meters and 80 meters.

Groundhog's Day falls on a Thursday next year, hence the special event station will not be set up until Saturday Feb 4, 2012 and will not start until 9 or 10 AM and will probably end 5 or 6 PM depending on participants.

There are special certificates which are available to anyone who wishes to receive one by simply mailing a self addressed stamped envelope to Sham Hollipeter W3QOS in Big Run PA. or if they are sent to the club mailing address K3HWJ.

W3WN
08-30-2011, 07:59 PM
I think that one just flew right over Jerry's head.

NQ6U
08-30-2011, 08:00 PM
I think that one just flew right over Jerry's head.

Somehow, I do not find that surprising.

W3WN
08-30-2011, 08:05 PM
By the way Jerry... I really don't think the GHD SES will be operating on 14.350 MHz. But we'll jump that channel when we come to it.

Jerry
08-30-2011, 09:09 PM
I don't know who you retards are - and personally I don't care.

You people are pretty pathetic.
You belong right down there on the bottom of my list, right there beside the Marconi net.
I bet if it was on 14.350 - you jammers would still look for a way to mess with it.
Maybe you need to grow up and get a life.
Remember - I got your call sign.

KJ3N
08-30-2011, 09:44 PM
I bet if it was on 14.350 - you jammers would still look for a way to mess with it.

If you were on 14.350, you'd better send yourself an OO notice, moran. :roll:

Pot, kettle, black. :roll:

Pathetic, childish, BS. 4-10 good buddy. *piiiiinngg* *beep* :roll:

W3WN
08-30-2011, 11:35 PM

You belong right down there on the bottom of my list, right there beside the Marconi net.
Remember - I got your call sign.Well gee Jerry, I really, really hate to break this to you... but surely you learned back when you got your General, let alone your Extra, let alone when you qualified to be an OO, that 14.350 MHz is the top edge of the 20 meter band, and that when you consider that a USB signal is up to 3 kHz wide, that means that if you are transmitting on a carrier of 14.350, you're transmitting out of band.

I guess I won't be working YOU for Jefferson County in the Pa QSO Party this year then. Nothing personal, but I really prefer not to operate out of band. Sets a bad example, you know. But not to worry, WI8T informs me that he's already made plans to activate the county.

KC9ECI
08-31-2011, 05:46 PM
Perfect weekend for it! The wife and youngest will be in the UK and I will be home on my own with nothing to do but play on the radio that weekend.

KB3LIX
09-09-2011, 01:15 PM

Who the HELL is this Jerry TURD ????
He sounds like he needs to be FLUSHED !!!

Jerry
09-19-2011, 07:45 PM
KB3LIX can lix my balls.

K7SGJ
09-19-2011, 07:51 PM
Very thoughtful and insightful response.

NQ6U
09-19-2011, 08:11 PM
The California QSO Party is the preceding weekend, October 1-2. That's the only period of the entire year where people actively seek out Six Landers on the air. For us, it's sort of like living in Bizzaro World (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bizarro_World) or something.

KC9ECI
09-19-2011, 10:46 PM
I thought every day in 6 land was a day in Bizzaro World.

NQ6U
09-19-2011, 11:10 PM
I thought every day in 6 land was a day in Bizzaro World.

No. I mean, to the Bizzaros, Bizzaro World seems normal. It's only by comparison that it seems weird.

W3WN
09-20-2011, 09:14 AM
Who the HELL is this Jerry TURD ????
He sounds like he needs to be FLUSHED !!!Hey Bill, welcome back, it's been awhile. Pull up a beach chair, and I'll let the barkeep know that your first one is on me.

You going to be at WACOM this year?

And will you be activiating Washington County this year, and if so, on you own, or as part of WA3COM, or elsewhere?

Don't sweat the small stuff. That includes certain entities on This Island.

W3WN
09-20-2011, 09:15 AM
No. I mean, to the Bizzaros, Bizzaro World seems normal. It's only by comparison that it seems weird.I know the feeling. That's one of the great things about Pa QSO, it's one of the few (if only) times of the year that being from Pennsylvania is actually an advantage!

N8YX
09-20-2011, 09:39 AM
Personal attacks of the nature witnessed in this thread are not going to be tolerated whatsoever.

Jerry, I asked you once before exactly what it was that you contributed to this place when your last outburst occurred.

There will not be another.

WØTKX
09-20-2011, 10:41 AM

Jerry's callsign is AB3NK.

However, he's been promoted to "guest" and is no longer a member.

Ta Ta.

ki4itv
09-20-2011, 11:13 AM
All those multiple paragraphs of dribble and he waives by-by in five words or less.
:awww:

KC9ECI
09-20-2011, 11:47 AM
Does that mean we'll get him over on Hamsexy next?

W3WN
09-20-2011, 11:55 AM
Does that mean we'll get him over on Hamsexy next?Well, he may show up there next, but I have nothing against those guys, so for their sake, I hope not.

WØTKX
09-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Sigh.

Had some local experience with "HamJammers" that were/are CB enthusiasts... they hoodwinked a bunch of us. It wasn't CB vs Ham Radio, it was all about getting negative attention, just like Karol the Kook. They were nice at first, and then turned on us when we didn't want to play their stupid asshole games.

One's an Extra, the other a General. They'd QRM us on 2 meter simplex/SSB, then they took it to 75. Bunch of us made recordings and complained. Kept their calls, but I haven't heard them on the air at all. It's the same deranged crap.

K7SGJ
09-20-2011, 12:54 PM
Sigh.

Had some local experience with "HamJammers" that were/are CB enthusiasts... they hoodwinked a bunch of us. It wasn't CB vs Ham Radio, it was all about getting negative attention, just like Karol the Kook. They were nice at first, and then turned on us when we didn't want to play their stupid asshole games.

One's an Extra, the other a General. They'd QRM us on 2 meter simplex/SSB, then they took it to 75. Bunch of us made recordings and complained. Kept their calls, but I haven't heard them on the air at all. It's the same deranged crap.

If they ever show back up, give Chuckles a shout and he'll bring his sewing kit over and fix their coax.

N8YX
09-20-2011, 04:40 PM
Ham radio certainly does attract more than its fair share of the maladjusted, does it not?

KJ3N
09-20-2011, 09:46 PM
Ham radio certainly does attract more than its fair share of the maladjusted, does it not?

I resembled that remark. :neener: :lol:

KB3LIX
09-21-2011, 03:19 PM
Hey Bill, welcome back, it's been awhile. Pull up a beach chair, and I'll let the barkeep know that your first one is on me.

You going to be at WACOM this year?

And will you be activiating Washington County this year, and if so, on you own, or as part of WA3COM, or elsewhere?

Don't sweat the small stuff. That includes certain entities on This Island.

Hey Ron,

I'll be on from home for the QP this year.
Can't get around very well these days, so I am mostly homebound.

Doesn't seem POSSIBLE the QP is in 17 days.
Where did the summer go ???

Hope to CU from Washington County.

KB3LIX
10-01-2011, 02:43 PM
I am beginning to have severe doubts about even bothering with the PA QSO Party.

I tried to hand out some points in todays California QSO Party and found it to be
another BULL-S*** session. I suppose I have become spoiled. When I work a contest,
I want it to BE a contest...NOT a bunch of BULL-SHIPPERS !
The 5 minute gab with the guy down the street that you just saw at the local
burger watering hole is just nonsense.

Plus:
I heard that the Somerset Club is the bonus station this year.
Their info indicates that they will be operational with ONE stetion.
GREAT EFFORT GUYS...CAN YOU AFFORD ONE STATION ????

Several years ago, K3YTL (K3 Yellow Traffic Light, or K3 Yellow Toilet Lid)
did a good job with several stations in several different counties to
make the hunt for the BONUS station interesting.

Two yeard ago (or was it three) WASH, N3SH did an OUTSTANDING job
again with multiple stations in multiple counties making the chase FUN.

This year, K3SMT with ONE station ?????
Sorry...BIG WHOOP !

The committee for the PA-QP needs to query potential BONUS stations
to see just how BIG an effort they can put forth, and pick
a club/bonus station on their ability to make a good effort.

I may just spend next weekend working the Makrothen RTTY contest.
Besides, Washington County is always well represented, so I just DON'T
need to be there.

I find RTTY to be MUCH more relaxing than CW and ESPECIALLY Phone !

Rtty is just a series of mouse clicks.

With CW, my EARS get very tired, and with Phone, not only my ears
get tired with all the over-processed stations, but I get HOARSE
screaming to be heard.

Maybe I am too OLD for this S***.

W3WN
10-03-2011, 11:48 AM
I am beginning to have severe doubts about even bothering with the PA QSO Party.

I tried to hand out some points in todays California QSO Party and found it to be
another BULL-S*** session. I suppose I have become spoiled. When I work a contest,
I want it to BE a contest...NOT a bunch of BULL-SHIPPERS !
The 5 minute gab with the guy down the street that you just saw at the local
burger watering hole is just nonsense.

Plus:
I heard that the Somerset Club is the bonus station this year.
Their info indicates that they will be operational with ONE stetion.
GREAT EFFORT GUYS...CAN YOU AFFORD ONE STATION ????

Several years ago, K3YTL (K3 Yellow Traffic Light, or K3 Yellow Toilet Lid)
did a good job with several stations in several different counties to
make the hunt for the BONUS station interesting.

Two yeard ago (or was it three) WASH, N3SH did an OUTSTANDING job
again with multiple stations in multiple counties making the chase FUN.

This year, K3SMT with ONE station ?????
Sorry...BIG WHOOP !

The committee for the PA-QP needs to query potential BONUS stations
to see just how BIG an effort they can put forth, and pick
a club/bonus station on their ability to make a good effort.

I may just spend next weekend working the Makrothen RTTY contest.
Besides, Washington County is always well represented, so I just DON'T
need to be there.

I find RTTY to be MUCH more relaxing than CW and ESPECIALLY Phone !

Rtty is just a series of mouse clicks.

With CW, my EARS get very tired, and with Phone, not only my ears
get tired with all the over-processed stations, but I get HOARSE
screaming to be heard.

Maybe I am too OLD for this S***.Bill,

Don't let the turkeys get you down.

Please don't skip Pa QSO because of some turkeys who are more interested in ragchewing in last weekend's left-coast based event. (I could crack wise and say "at least work me first" but I won't do that...) I won't belabor the point, but...

Besides, Pa QSO allows RTTY and PSK-31 as (different) digital modes. So you can do either or both in the contest...

Regarding the bonus station...

Yes, N3SH did a multi-station effort a few years back. You think I'd remember, since I organized the dang thing, but I want to say off the top of my head 4 years ago. It was a lot of work, but I think it paid off. K3YTL and W3UU also did the same thing, one the year before, one the year after we did. (And thanks for the kind words).

Unfortunately, a few (and I do mean a FEW) people griped, and griped loudly, about it. They just didn't "get" it. A couple (and I know who they are, but best I not say) actively tried to sabotage the organizing effort. So it was decided a year or two ago, to shut these people up, that the next Bonus station effort would be back to a multi multi from one location. Obviously the Somerset guys feel more comfortable doing that this year. Maybe we set the bar so high that they don't think they can come close?

Personally, I think that's a bad idea. Multiple counties for the bonus station mean more bonus points, which keeps activity up. Theoretically, you can work the single Bonus station up to 23 times on the HF bands, once for each mode (5 bands x 4 modes, + 3 modes on 30 meters -- no phone, remember?), but for most people, it's 4 -- phone & CW, 80 & 40. Every Bonus station location you add, adds another 23 max / 4 likely to that mix.

But there are those who kvetch about it:
-- "It's not fair!" Yeah? Says who? You want it all handed to you on a platter?
-- "It's hard!" Yeah? It's supposed to be hard, otherwise, everyone could do it... the hard is what makes it great.
-- "I don't know how to log it!" Yeah? Log the station as if it was a "rover" Or upgrade your software
-- "It's not fair to the other guys in those counties!" Bullfeathers. The Bonus station by definition is ineligible for County awards (although mistakes have happened, see W3KWH)
-- "My brain hurts!" Put down the mike or key, head to England, look up Monty Python and enter the Upper Class Twit of the Year competition instead.

Anyway, it is conveniently forgotten that one of the reasons for the multiple locations was that one year, the Bonus station had some antenna & rig issues and only got on the air on a few bands, without power, and wasn't heard very well, which defeated the whole point of having the station.

I'm getting too old for this schtick too, but the turkeys are not chasing me out of my favorite contest. I just ignore them.

Ignore them.

WØTKX
10-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Maybe I'll poke around and listen for this one a little bit, but I'm an infrequent and very casual contester.

I'm still screwing around with remote audio issues with my Flex, but I can operate digital modes just fine that way.

About ready to try that stuff outside the router... :mrgreen:

KC9ECI
10-03-2011, 06:48 PM
I'm going to be on for a time Saturday as K9P for the National Wildlife Refuge event. Well I'll be there anyway, not sure what the ratio of drinking coffee and bullshitting to being on the air will be. When I get home though I'll jump in and play in the QSO Party for a while as well.

W3WN
10-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Well guys, if you here me on... or more correctly my call on, as W3LE and KB3ERQ are coming over to operate, possibly some others as well... give a shout.

And Alb, I owe you a QSL card, from a few years back. I will get one printed up for you...

W2NAP
10-04-2011, 12:32 PM
well if I stumble onto you on 20. ill give you a contact

N8YX
10-06-2011, 07:28 AM
I'm going to take advantage of this warm weather and prep at least one - possibly two - of the bikes for winter, change the air filter in a third then finish up the new garage door threshold and install a brace for the 6BTV which is alongside the garage. Radio will be limited for me at best and there are several project rigs waiting to be looked at...

W3WN
10-06-2011, 07:41 AM
I'm going to take advantage of this warm weather and prep at least one - possibly two - of the bikes for winter, change the air filter in a third then finish up the new garage door threshold and install a brace for the 6BTV which is alongside the garage. Radio will be limited for me at best and there are several project rigs waiting to be looked at...The boss asked me to consider postponing the contest to do some work on the front porch this weekend, since the weather can be good.

Oh sure, I'll just ask a couple of hundred in-state hams, and another thousand out-of-state & casual operators, to change their plans so that I can do outside chores. Right.

Hey, if you take a break and hear me on, give a shout, that's all I ask.

KJ3N
10-06-2011, 08:19 AM

Ta Ta.

Let's see how long he lasts on QRZ (http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?314467-What-is-this-eQSL-stuff-anyway&p=2352936#post2352936). :lol:

W3WN
10-06-2011, 10:06 AM

Ta Ta.Let's see how long he lasts on QRZ (http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?314467-What-is-this-eQSL-stuff-anyway&p=2352936#post2352936). :lol:Oh, lordy lordy. He's picking up there right about where he left off here. The anti-contest crowd will love him... for a few days, then watch out.

Darn it, where'd I put that :popcorn: ?? Oh wait, that was in a different thread, let me go get it.

NQ6U
10-06-2011, 01:08 PM
It's amazing how much Jerry has learned about being a ham in less than a year, isn't it?

KJ3N
10-06-2011, 01:59 PM
It's amazing how much Jerry THINKS he has learned about being a ham in less than a year, isn't it?

Fixed that up just a little bit. ;)

KC9ECI
10-06-2011, 03:47 PM
What a tool.

NQ6U
10-06-2011, 03:54 PM
The boss asked me to consider postponing the contest to do some work on the front porch this weekend, since the weather can be good.

I ended up missing the best part of the California QSO party because the grandkids had a birthday party that day and the XYL and I were drafted into transport duty.

KB3LIX
10-08-2011, 08:55 PM
At least for today (Saturday 10-8-2011) I stuck with the Makrothen RTTY Contest.
I did make one Q though, Steel City Club W3KWH on 6m phone.

After the Makrothen is over tomorrow at noon, I may do some PA-QP
just for the halibut.

KB3LIX
10-09-2011, 12:45 AM
OK...I couldn't resist.

Once the Makrothen was over for today (Saturday) I just HAD
to do some PA-QP. Ended up with 83 Q's just screwing around.
I didn't hear much of the BULLSHIPPING that I do not care for
during QSO Parties, it was mostly contest exchanges and move on.

I HAVE to complete the Makrothen tomorrow (starts at 0800z until 1600z)
I am just over 1.3 million points in that one.
I'm hoping 10m REALLY opens up tomorrow morning.

KC9ECI
10-09-2011, 08:17 AM
I heard a lot of PAQP stations on the air yesterday from the special event station at the wildlife refuge. I'm starting to hate serial numbers as part of the exchange. It really discourages people from making a quick QSO if they have to try to remember what number they gave out last. I just kept the VFO moving and skipped over them. I'll hop on today for a while now that I'm home and can better track and log who I work.

W3WN
10-10-2011, 09:31 AM
Thanks for working me Bill, I do appreciate it. Don't recall any other Island related calls, but I don't have the log in front of me at the moment.

403 QSOs
301 SSB
102 CW
Clean sweep of all 67 counties
Tentative net score over 50,000 points
Survived daughter's date to the Homecoming Dance.

Biggest surprise, outside of the drama of nailing down the last few counties, was getting a call late Saturday night (EDT) on 75 from N7NG in Wyoming. Nice to know that my 160 Inverted "L" is doing gangbusters out west... on 75 phone! Nice to hear from Wayne as well, of course.

W3WN
10-10-2011, 09:34 AM
I heard a lot of PAQP stations on the air yesterday from the special event station at the wildlife refuge. I'm starting to hate serial numbers as part of the exchange. It really discourages people from making a quick QSO if they have to try to remember what number they gave out last. I just kept the VFO moving and skipped over them. I'll hop on today for a while now that I'm home and can better track and log who I work.Nah. Just tell the station you're not in the contest and give them a number. Any number.

I worked KP2DX for my Virgin Islands Section mult on 15 SSB, yesterday afternoon. He wasn't in the contest either. No problem, that makes him #1!

KB3LIX
10-10-2011, 12:33 PM
Congrats on the sweep.
I ended up missing 7 counties,
Bea, Crn, Fra, Ful, Hun, Inn, and Phi.
Score was 20,306 with 198 Q's.
I did find the bonus K3SMT twice, 40 & 80m phone.

But, considering I just didn't really care about the QP this year,
and did about 6 hours total (maybe a bit more) It coulda been worse.

My Makrothen Score ended up at 1,729,306
with 312 Q's. Not too shabby.

Now for several days of rest.

Congrats again.