PDA

View Full Version : Going Rate Of *** Questions

KG4CGC
08-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Anyone know the going rate of a Corsair with all the filters these days?

WØTKX
08-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Don't do it.

KG4CGC
08-28-2011, 04:48 PM
I know. Everything is going. The 901, the Corsair, speakers, tuners, mics. Have to raise money for a scooter project.
I also have a 30 pound watermelon tourmaline cluster to get rid of and my old CB station. Might as well get rid of the 2m rig too, HTX 242. Haven't used it in over a year. The Hammarlund SP600 is going too.
Considering setting up a table at Shelby next week.
I can always put together another station.

NQ6U
08-28-2011, 05:30 PM
My wife is a sort of an amateur gemologist as part of her jewelry hobby and she says that tourmaline cluster is worth between $500-1500 depending on the quality.

KG4CGC
08-28-2011, 05:38 PM
My wife is a sort of an amateur gemologist as part of her jewelry hobby and she says that tourmaline cluster is worth between $500-1500 depending on the quality.
It's a bunch of spikes in a quartz matrix.

NQ6U
08-28-2011, 05:46 PM
The XYL says that there's an entire subset of gem fanatics who go nuts over that stuff. She suggests that you do a bit of research, then put it on eBay. You might be surprised at what you can get for it.

BTW, there's a good chance that the thing originated from somewhere close to the Islets of Langerhans. A lot of tourmaline comes from mines in San Diego County.

KG4CGC
08-28-2011, 05:49 PM
The XYL says that there's an entire subset of gem fanatics who go nuts over that stuff. She suggests that you do a bit of research, then put it on eBay. You might be surprised at what you can get for it.
Ebay has been a real piss poor place to do business lately. Not necessarily due to their policies but people are just not buying in this economy.

W3WN
08-28-2011, 09:32 PM
I know. Everything is going. The 901, the Corsair, speakers, tuners, mics. Have to raise money for a scooter project.
I also have a 30 pound watermelon tourmaline cluster to get rid of and my old CB station. Might as well get rid of the 2m rig too, HTX 242. Haven't used it in over a year. The Hammarlund SP600 is going too.
Considering setting up a table at Shelby next week.
I can always put together another station.K3AIR had a NOS HTX-242 at Breezeshooters for $30. My mistake was, after buying it, getting talked into selling it to WA3BOJ, who turned around and sold it for $35. Someone had one at Skyview this morning, and it went for $35 as soon as he put it on the table.

And I could use one; the dual-bander I picked up for the car has a receive problem, and I now regret the entire sequence of events... so if you really want/need to sell it, I can have a check in the mail today.

Oh... I bought my Corsair II for $550 from W3WH four years ago. It had the 1.8 & 500 kHz filters (I've since acquired the 250 kHz filter as well), with the power supply & remote VFO from a Corsair (cosmetically a mismatch, electrically identical). I've seen Corsairs sans filters & accessories go for $350 - 450 depending on condition on eBay, but those prices tend to be high once some of the win-a-bid-at-any-cost crowd gets involved.

KG4CGC
08-28-2011, 09:40 PM
Hey Ron, Since you sent me a FS/SWR, I'll let you have the HTX 242 for 35 shipped. It's built like a tank. Should last for years. Some of the mic cord is taped up since it simply flaked off.
Just let me know where to send it.

KG4CGC
08-28-2011, 09:48 PM
And yes, I have the manual and quick reference card, the mounting bracket and 2 mounting bracket knobs.

N8YX
08-29-2011, 03:47 AM
I saw a complete Corsair II setup at Breezeshooters in June for $650. IIRC, I PMmed you about it.

Should you sell all your gear and want to put another station together, stay with TenTec. You might consider an Argo V and 526 (6/2M all-mode). If I could find a decent example of each I would probably snap them up.

WØTKX
08-29-2011, 05:21 AM
Had I known then what I know now? Alas I don't need two Corsairs. And I have a 902DM. I recently picked up a clean Corsair with the speaker/power supply and a "bonus" Heathkit Grid Dip Meter for $325.00.

Sell the tourmaline first? BTW, what is the expected budget for the scooter fixes?

KG4CGC
08-29-2011, 05:54 AM
<snip>
Sell the tourmaline first? BTW, what is the expected budget for the scooter fixes?
It's a whole new project.

W3WN
08-29-2011, 07:22 AM
Hey Ron, Since you sent me a FS/SWR, I'll let you have the HTX 242 for 35 shipped. It's built like a tank. Should last for years. Some of the mic cord is taped up since it simply flaked off.
Just let me know where to send it.Call book address is fine. If I don't hear otherwise from you, check will go to your address today.

On edit: Check went out at the 9:30 AM pickup to your callbook address, you should have it in a day or three. You'll know it when you see it... I, um, borrowed a company envelope (they don't mind as long as I use my own postage)

Nice ZIP+4 code, James Bond would be proud... that was his "other" number when he was reassigned to the MI5 Diplomatic Service in You Only Live Twice.

N7YA
08-30-2011, 10:06 AM

Really? Hmmm, my wife and i are moving to Maine, thats the state gem...may have to keep my eyes open. (honestly, i dont know anything about tourmaline, if its just laying around or what...im guessing no)

W3WN
08-30-2011, 10:50 AM
Really? Hmmm, my wife and i are moving to Maine, thats the state gem...may have to keep my eyes open. (honestly, i dont know anything about tourmaline, if its just laying around or what...im guessing no)Before you leave, I need to impose on you for a NV contact on 160; one of the last 4 states I need on the band. Pretty please?

KG4CGC
08-30-2011, 12:01 PM
Really? Hmmm, my wife and i are moving to Maine, thats the state gem...may have to keep my eyes open. (honestly, i dont know anything about tourmaline, if its just laying around or what...im guessing no)
To be sure, I'm talking watermelon tourmaline. It has a green rind and a pink inside.
Here's an example in a quartz matrix:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Watermelon%20Tourmaline/21095e46-1.jpg

KG4CGC
08-30-2011, 12:22 PM
And let's all give a big round of applause to Craigslist! :clap::clap::clap:
Sold my old CB station! 2 weeks at the flea market and no takers. 18 hours on Craigslist and BAM! :clap::clap:

WØTKX
08-30-2011, 02:34 PM
So what did you get for that 901. :shifty: :rofl:

N7YA
08-30-2011, 04:53 PM
To be sure, I'm talking watermelon tourmaline. It has a green rind and a pink inside.
Here's an example in a quartz matrix:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Watermelon%20Tourmaline/21095e46-1.jpg

Whoa! Looks like someone needs to visit the dentist!

N7YA
08-30-2011, 04:55 PM
Before you leave, I need to impose on you for a NV contact on 160; one of the last 4 states I need on the band. Pretty please?

Its not for a few years yet, but one of the reasons were leaving is how compressed everything is in Vegas, i simply dont have the means for a 160 antenna in this HOA joint. I wish i did...i only have one contact on 160, and its from Utah, next door.

KG4CGC
08-30-2011, 06:03 PM
So what did you get for that 901. :shifty: :rofl:
That 901 has the 902 front end sans WARC bands.

W3WN
08-30-2011, 07:54 PM
Its not for a few years yet, but one of the reasons were leaving is how compressed everything is in Vegas, i simply dont have the means for a 160 antenna in this HOA joint. I wish i did...i only have one contact on 160, and its from Utah, next door.I understand. But surely we can arrange a visit to a friend's shack one day, perchance? (And I do plan to spend some time in the upcoming ARRL 160, Stew Perry, and CQ 160 contests, to say nothing of Sweepstakes...)

That's why I said NV not LV...

WØTKX
08-30-2011, 07:59 PM
Yea, my 902 has pretty good RX, it really does. Reasonable selectivity. Lights up real purty.

Gold readout, shiny knobs and switches galore. But, it's no Ten Tec, eh? ;)

But I was teasing you a little, because so darn many of these had naughty mods, eh?

KG4CGC
08-30-2011, 08:24 PM
Yea, my 902 has pretty good RX, it really does. Reasonable selectivity. Lights up real purty.

Gold readout, shiny knobs and switches galore. But, it's no Ten Tec, eh? ;)

But I was teasing you a little, because so darn many of these had naughty mods, eh?
I've only heard of such things on the inturnutz. Have seen 101s with the 11m switch.

N7YA
08-31-2011, 06:18 AM
I understand. But surely we can arrange a visit to a friend's shack one day, perchance? (And I do plan to spend some time in the upcoming ARRL 160, Stew Perry, and CQ 160 contests, to say nothing of Sweepstakes...)

That's why I said NV not LV...

I seriously dont know any other hams in NV. But if you have an on air friend from here that you can hook me up with that is set up for 160, ill give them a buzz and work out the details. I would love to qso with you, i would be thrilled to work further east on topband than New Mexico. :lol:

KG4CGC
09-03-2011, 03:51 AM
Going to Shelby (Dallas NC) on 10 minutes sleep. I tried, meh.
Come hit me up!

W3WN
09-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Going to Shelby (Dallas NC) on 10 minutes sleep. I tried, meh.
Come hit me up!You're going to regret this, you know.

I wouldn't mind have a Corsair in the shack one day, but it won't get much use, not with the Omni VI+ as the main rig.

KG4CGC
09-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Sold everything except the Corsair ... despite how everyone agreed that it is a wonderful rig especially with all the filter included and the Kenwood speaker and the Heil GM-5. So, since the 901 antenna tuner was sold, I had to buy a new tuner before I left. That's cool.
I'll keep it. I pretty much did all my business in the first 45 minutes of setting up. I thought for sure the TT would go. There was a Corsair with PS and VFO offered by another seller for 650 sans all filter slots filled. Mine was 500 but my selling price would have been 450.
It must be a sign!
I was honest and I made reasonable deals when the haggling commenced.

The YL sold about $100 worth of cigar boxes. Put a good dent in the collection. A couple of people came back to get more for others in their group. Lovely, lovely cigar boxes ☺

Guy beside us had a 10m vertical beam mounted on top of his Suburban. Talk about an expensive rotor. w00t!

W3WN
09-03-2011, 08:14 PM
Wait a minute... you had a Corsair, with the remote VFO & Power Supply AND all 3 optional filters for $500 and NOBODY BIT?

Fools! Fools one and all!

If I had the $500 (let alone $450) to spare, you'd be packing up that rig for shipment right now.

WØTKX
09-03-2011, 09:19 PM
Yupper, that's a decent and fair price. BUT, you get to keep it now. Damn right that was a sign. It's a "keeper".

I'll have to put mine on the air soon. As the winter DX gets better, we will QSO... Corsair to Corsair.

Never sell that radio. :mrgreen:

KG4CGC
09-04-2011, 12:03 AM
Wait a minute... you had a Corsair, with the remote VFO & Power Supply AND all 3 optional filters for $500 and NOBODY BIT?

Fools! Fools one and all!

If I had the $500 (let alone $450) to spare, you'd be packing up that rig for shipment right now.No Sir, not me. Did I word stuff wrong again?

NQ6U
09-04-2011, 12:17 AM
No Sir, not me. Did I word stuff wrong again?

Yes, yes, it's all your fault! Now you have to supply a Corsair, with the remote VFO & Power Supply AND all 3 optional filters to $500 for everyone here in the Island who wants one or severe punishment will be meted out!

KG4CGC
09-04-2011, 12:19 AM
Yes, yes, it's all your fault! Now you have to supply a Corsair, with the remote VFO & Power Supply AND all 3 optional filters to $500 for everyone here in the Island who wants one or severe punishment will be meted out!How about a stick of gum?

KG4CGC
09-04-2011, 12:29 AM
Met people from Boston, New York and places from the East in general. It was a well organized event and many people took advantage of the golf cart rental. There were tons of hybrid rigs for those fans of such, mostly the FT-101**. I didn't walk the park until later in the day though. If you wanted parts, there were parts, pieces parts, parts parts, semi parts and parts for parts. The most I've seen to date. I'm pretty sure everything of a seriously desirable nature was snatched up before 8:30 AM.

W3WN
09-04-2011, 12:29 PM
In all seriousness, there are too many hams who prefer style -- bells & whistles -- over substance. The Corsair & Corsair II often get short shift because they don't have a computer interface of any sort.

All I know is, when I had that Kenwood 480, the Corsair II heard signals that the Kenwood didn't now exist. Same frequency, same antenna.

Sadly, the days of using the Corsair in a major contest are numbered, and it's a small number. There's a big push amongst the Top Guns to require (amongst other things) mandatory computer logging, including exact QRG, which means a computer interface to the rig... and no exceptions for older equipment. Because we ALL know that newer is better than older, right?

* sigh *

K7SGJ
09-04-2011, 12:33 PM
In all seriousness, there are too many hams who prefer style -- bells & whistles -- over substance. The Corsair & Corsair II often get short shift because they don't have a computer interface of any sort.

All I know is, when I had that Kenwood 480, the Corsair II heard signals that the Kenwood didn't now exist. Same frequency, same antenna.

Sadly, the days of using the Corsair in a major contest are numbered, and it's a small number. There's a big push amongst the Top Guns to require (amongst other things) mandatory computer logging, including exact QRG, which means a computer interface to the rig... and no exceptions for older equipment. Because we ALL know that newer is better than older, right?

* sigh *

Sounds like politics, to me. Kinda like "We are going to do it this way from now on, no exceptions, because we know what is best for you". This is where Grandma would say BULLSHIT.

KG4CGC
09-04-2011, 12:43 PM
The only change I would make to one today is the addition of a pair of computer fans mounted directly on the heat sink. It can heat up quickly if you're dealing with a tricky tune up, as some antennas can be picky, one must remember to keep tune up times below 6 seconds.
In regular operation it isn't really an issue but I can see it as one say on, Field Day around here and it's 96 degrees outside, in the shade.

NQ6U
09-04-2011, 12:45 PM
Sounds like a good reason to tell the contest promoters to go stuff it and just settle back and do some casual DXing instead. Conditions have been pretty decent recently.

W3WN
09-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Sounds like politics, to me. Kinda like "We are going to do it this way from now on, no exceptions, because we know what is best for you". This is where Grandma would say BULLSHIT.Precisely.

Between that and the Public Logs controversy (two issues that I constantly find myself in the minority on), contesting for the sake of friendly competition has lost a lot of it's luster. Any more, I operate for my own goals, such as picking up some prefixes or band fills.

To say nothing of being lectured on ethics by a "CQ Hall of Fame" contester I've known since college, back when he asked (as a non-member of the club) to use the club call, solo, in the upcoming Sweepstakes, because he'd been DQ'd.

But those are other threads for other times.

W3WN
09-04-2011, 01:57 PM
The only change I would make to one today is the addition of a pair of computer fans mounted directly on the heat sink. It can heat up quickly if you're dealing with a tricky tune up, as some antennas can be picky, one must remember to keep tune up times below 6 seconds.
In regular operation it isn't really an issue but I can see it as one say on, Field Day around here and it's 96 degrees outside, in the shade.Good pieces of advice for almost any solid state rig these days... keep the finals (or their heat sinks) as cool as possible, and don't spend any more time key-down while tuning up than you have to!

WØTKX
09-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Funny thing about the older Ten Tec PA's.

They are happier with an impedance greater than 50, but not under 50 ohms.

N7YA
09-05-2011, 07:58 AM
Precisely.

Between that and the Public Logs controversy (two issues that I constantly find myself in the minority on), contesting for the sake of friendly competition has lost a lot of it's luster. Any more, I operate for my own goals, such as picking up some prefixes or band fills.

To say nothing of being lectured on ethics by a "CQ Hall of Fame" contester I've known since college, back when he asked (as a non-member of the club) to use the club call, solo, in the upcoming Sweepstakes, because he'd been DQ'd.

But those are other threads for other times.

I love contests...not because of competing or any of that garbage, its simply a great way to pick up new DX! :yes:

KG4CGC
09-09-2011, 11:37 PM
Related to selling at Shelby:

So I found a project scooter with budget room to spare. Found an ad for a 150cc with 2300 miles on it for $650. Looked at it in the parking lot at the guy's job and wasn't impressed, even though it is a 2011. Something in my gut said no.
That night I was cruising craigslist again and it was relisted for $450. So I met up with guy at the same place and looked at it again while talking to him. It was really tough to start now. He said he ran out of gas the night before and had to get gas from his landlord's lawn gas can and that's when it started running rough. I was still like, no. I told him thank you for your time and went on.

That day, something was really nagging me about it. I figured if it was electrical or fuel related it would be an easy fix. This morning the bike was still listed so I asked him if it was sold. He said no, it wouldn't start after I left. When it was running the day before after it started, it was smooth, strong and sounded fine but there was that gut thing. So at this point in my mind, a unknown was somewhat known. That it would die very soon at some point if I had bought it. I asked him, what's the bottom line then in its current condition?
$200. I told him OK. He was going back to Florida and didn't want to take it with him and I saw his Florida ID when we did the transaction.

I now have a decent budget to use to do any mods and I already suspected that I would be fixing something right away. This is how my trip to Shelby last weekend has paid off. That and my gut.

The 150cc GY6 motor is a Honda design that has been used by every Asian scooter builder for quite a while now. I did some looking online and the cost of new parts is also significantly cheaper. For example, a new carb from Honda for my 50cc scooter is $329. A new carb for my 150cc Chinese GY6 is $30. This is almost identical in design to the 50cc carb which has a throttle opening of 18mm, the GY6 carb is 26mm. They both use the same automatic choke and are both CV (constant velocity) carbs, a vast improvement over the old SU carbs used on fine English sports cars.

So I get it home and roll it up the ramp and inside. I park it in the junk room that is full of electronic parts and packing supplies BUT, guess who's the first to test it out?

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/cfc06b20.jpg
I'll start up another thread with pics of the teardown and other such matters.
Thanks!

NQ6U
09-09-2011, 11:46 PM
Sounds like a great deal but it ain't worth dink until the cat approves it. You're in, now.

KG4CGC
09-10-2011, 12:09 AM
Sounds like a great deal but it ain't worth dink until the cat approves it. You're in, now.Tell me about it!
When I got a new mower in 09, Abbey was the first one to sit in the seat and take a nap.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/AbbeyonmowerREsize.jpg

N7YA
09-10-2011, 07:26 AM
Why wouldnt she? That mower's gorgeous!

NQ6U
09-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Why wouldnt she? That mower's gorgeous!

Troy-Bilt makes good stuff. I had one of their rototillers when I lived up in Oregon—it was built like real farm equipment, not the typical expendable consumer crap.

N7YA
09-10-2011, 11:44 AM
I tend to spend extra for that very thing.

WØTKX
09-10-2011, 12:04 PM
I paid close to "dealer price" for a 20 year old used car recently from an individual,
because it was taken care of mechanically, and had only 68,000 miles. Worth it.

VE7MGF
09-10-2011, 01:29 PM
he got gas from the landlords gas can?
most likely old gas or dirty
try flushing the tank and lines replace the filter if there is one
have fun

KG4CGC
09-10-2011, 02:33 PM
he got gas from the landlords gas can?
most likely old gas or dirty
try flushing the tank and lines replace the filter if there is one
have funYep. My thoughts exactly. I'm still reading up on it right now, learning everything I can before I crack it open. Once you've gotten into one CV carb they're pretty much all the same and who here can't read a schematic when it comes to electricals?
I betting the air filter is also, afoul.