PDA

View Full Version : Millions without power this morning

w2amr
08-28-2011, 07:15 AM
It's 2011 fer chrissake, all the power line should be underground.

W3MIV
08-28-2011, 08:09 AM
That costs a lot of money, and the utilities are, first and foremost, profit-centered corporations selling a product for which they must first consider the payout to shareholders. They already have the blessing to pass along generation costs directly to the consumers by way of surcharges, but the costs of upgrading a grid that is decades -- many decades -- old would cut too deeply into dividends. Most investors would balk. More and more is being buried, but that which is underground is supplied by above-ground substations and transmission lines, which remain vulnerable.

The only way to pressure utilities is to pressure the PSCs who regulate them "in the public interest." I think you already see the chance of success by going that route. Unless the howl is deafening and nearly continuous, your dudgeon will go unrewarded.

My utilities here are underground, but they are fed by above-ground lines about a half-mile from the house. I fought for almost twenty years -- power failures at my location were at least monthly (and sometimes more) during the summer T-storm season. The power would be out for hours at a time. The cause was outdated equipment in the above-ground link -- circuit-breakers that tripped at the least surge and pole pigs that often exploded. Over the course of two decades, BGE gradually replaced the faulty gear in an extended attrition campaign before we finally can go months without failures. No amount of complaining, letter writing, or calls to the Company -- now you cannot find a human in the telephone system to talk to unless you report a gas leak or sparking lines (and the PSC has warned that false reporting will be prosecuted by the state).

Can you spell fuc... well, just leave that you will receive neither a whispered "i luv u" nor a touch of KY jelly in the deal.

N8YX
08-28-2011, 08:50 AM
Aunt Janet will see to your needs, Citizen.

n2ize
08-28-2011, 09:22 AM
An above ground system has its advantages and disadvantages. Here we are entirely above ground. If the equipment is properly updated and a regular schedule of tree trimming is done it can avert many problems. The problems really start when proper maintenance and regular trimming and dead tree removals are stopped.

Last year I had an entire oak tree that was dying removed from my property. Con Edison footed the entire bill. During the 2010 nor'easter we had a lot of damage but most of the power stayed on. Had they not done regular tree maintenance it would have been much worst.

W3MIV
08-28-2011, 09:33 AM
I just had an oak tree removed last week. Albi footed the entire bill. Also removed several heavy branches from red maples too close to the house and sun porch, front and rear. Again, Albi footed the bill. A worthy investment, as it turned out.

My antenna seems to have survived, BTW. I was worried that the tree bozos had stretched the south leg too tightly, but it seems to be in place, and it tunes dead flat on twenty. Ergo, one presumes it to have survived. Don't have time now to meddle with it.

n2ize
08-28-2011, 10:05 AM
I just had an oak tree removed last week. Albi footed the entire bill. Also removed several heavy branches from red maples too close to the house and sun porch, front and rear. Again, Albi footed the bill. A worthy investment, as it turned out.

My antenna seems to have survived, BTW. I was worried that the tree bozos had stretched the south leg too tightly, but it seems to be in place, and it tunes dead flat on twenty. Ergo, one presumes it to have survived. Don't have time now to meddle with it.

Ahhh, you should have asked me. I'd have sent Con Edison down there to pay it. Con Edison is appropriately named

w2amr
08-28-2011, 10:18 AM
An above ground system has its advantages and disadvantages. Here we are entirely above ground. If the equipment is properly updated and a regular schedule of tree trimming is done it can avert many problems. The problems really start when proper maintenance and regular trimming and dead tree removals are stopped.

Last year I had an entire oak tree that was dying removed from my property. Con Edison footed the entire bill. During the 2010 nor'easter we had a lot of damage but most of the power stayed on. Had they not done regular tree maintenance it would have been much worst.Down here the power lines go through the tree branches. Lose a big branch, lose yer juice.

n2ize
08-28-2011, 10:21 AM
Down here the power lines go through the tree branches. Lose a big branch, lose yer juice.

Sounds like they aren't doing regular tree maintenance.. Up here they cut everything clear of the lines. And they cut anything dead that could fall across them. Unfortunately that could change for us soon. Whenever power companies cut the budget the first thing that goes is tree maintenance.

How did things go in your neck of the woods George ? The fact that you are still online is a good sign. I am trying to find out the status of some people on Long Island. They haven't been online. Sounds like the Island got hit hard.

W3MIV
08-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Just toured the area. Only a few trees down in my immediate environs; one a large, White Pine. Lots of branches torn out, some of which are quite large and heavy. Streets are extremely cluttered with detritus from trees and shrubs -- a bazillion or two of twigs and small branches flying about still in the gusts, which continue here. Light rain.

Stopped in a super out of curiosity. Only one in five overhead fixtures lighted; shelves in meat and dairy departments stripped bare -- not by consumers, but by management. Nothing perishable for sale at all. No bread, but lots of pretzels -- which are bread by any other name (though it is, admittedly, difficult to make a ham and cheese samich with a pretzel! ;) )

Most of the traffic signals in the area are out of operation, and the young cops (of both sexes) seem to have never been given any instruction in the manual control of traffic. Cluster fu... well, you get the pic.

Lots of sirens heard, though I have yet to see an emergency vehicle on the move. No air traffic overhead, either; I suspect BWI still shut down or flights originating elsewhere and BWI bound have not yet arrived. I know that the airlines canceled flights into BWI and DCA yesterday afternoon.

All over now save the clean up, which will be costly.

n2ize
08-28-2011, 11:43 AM
No air traffic here either. major airports still closed. I doubt Westchester PD is in the air yet. Probably not till this thing is way past.

W5RB
08-28-2011, 11:52 AM
Help is on the way . 60 linemen from Mississippi Power Company are headed for the DC area to help restore service there . It really is inspiring to see the travelling crews headed down the highway on the way to a major weather event . These guys will , of course , join others from all over to get service restored ASAP on the Atlantic coast .

KC9ECI
08-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Sunny and nice here today. I'll get back to you during the freezing rain and blizzard season.

W5GA
08-28-2011, 04:17 PM
(though it is, admittedly, difficult to make a ham and cheese samich with a pretzel! ;) )
You just gotta slice the ham and cheese REALLY thin.

NQ6U
08-28-2011, 04:33 PM
You just gotta slice the ham and cheese REALLY thin.

Use pretzel sticks and wind the ham and cheese around it.

W3MIV
08-29-2011, 06:05 AM
Beeeeyyooootifull morn' here. Yestiddy afternoon, the sun came out with bazillions of fair-weather cumulus clouds, though still very breezy, and the drying began.

My antenna survived, PBTG!

W3WN
08-29-2011, 07:38 AM
Had a nice morning at Skyview yesterday. Some overcast, especially in the morning, which drove the ARES guys nutz (they were trying to use solar cells to power a NBMS demonstration, and had insufficient light!) and cool, but as the morning progressed the cloud cover burned off.

Too bad that the weather forecast appears to have scared some off. I did snag two more RCA Receiver Tube manuals for my collection, but a different guy who had some Transmitting Tube manuals wanted WAY too much for them, considering their condition.