PDA

View Full Version : Sign 'o the times.

N7YA
08-27-2011, 06:33 AM
Our band did a show tonight with SisQo. You may remember him as the guy who did the Thong Song. Anyway, he was on top of the game about 10 years ago, on the Grammys, guesting on megastars albums. Tonight, he was playing at Carnaval Court. Naturally, i need to know the stage strike, who is going to be where, do i need to set up my bass gear any different, etc. The sound man said nothing needed to change as he is going to be alone (with 3 buddies dancing)...with an iPod!

Economics has changed the face of everything it seems. No band, no DJ...just him and an iPod. What a trip. However, they did change the carpet in our dressing room from a shit stained, cacophony pattern to something cleaner. And there were bottles of Patron and Jaeger stacked up (how much can the guy drink for a half hour show??!!). At least bring a DJ!

Then again, he could be cheap. Just thought it was interesting enough to share, and certainly cant be construed as bragging because if i played a big show with Clapton or Snoop, i WOULD brag shamelessly. I just cant bring myself to do that in this case. :lol:

N8YX
08-27-2011, 11:53 AM
Right, said Fred....

;)

N7YA
08-27-2011, 12:24 PM
Im sure we will be opening for them next! :lol: Harrahs pairs us up with every one hit wonder they can find.

And i AM too sexy for my shirt....i need new shirts.

ki4itv
08-27-2011, 01:12 PM
I think I remember it being Pavarotti who lamented how strange it felt to have the complete body of his life's work stored on an Ipod Nano he could easily lose in his watch pocket at any moment. :lol:

W3WN
08-27-2011, 03:28 PM
For some reason, I'm reminded of This Is Spinal Tap.

ki4itv
08-27-2011, 03:36 PM
My favorite Chorus of all time was written by Spinal Tap, Ron...

Big bottom, big bottom
Talk about mud flaps, my girl's got 'em
Big bottom drive me out of my mind
How could I leave this behind?

Great stuff. They're brilliant

suddenseer
08-27-2011, 03:53 PM
I guess my pop culture is not current. I have never heard of the SisQo you speak of. I am stuck in the 70's for the most part. 80's 90's 00's is cool too. I don't do rap. I do not consider rap as music, but a spoken art form, like poetry. From what I read SisQo is not a rapper. I just have never heard of him. Now hear from a lowly bass player. I am tickled I got to jam with the drummer from my Dad's band. We jammed for 30 minutes, it was like a religious experience for me.

KG4CGC
08-27-2011, 06:14 PM
Patron and Jaeger? What a combination.
I dare anyone here to mix tequila and Jaeger together in equal parts and drink it and enjoy it.
NAAAAAAAS-TEE!

N7YA
08-28-2011, 11:04 AM
Good times. Turns out he was a really nice guy with no trouble at all...guess that happens in your 40's. He was also known for his dancing acrobatics and one handed cartwheel. I like hearing that known people are really cool, lets me know their craft is coming from the right place.

As for rap, its a music style for sure, regardless of if i like it or not. I particularly like the beats and rhythm. The part of rap i just cant take is all the materialistic self absorbed lyrics.