PDA

View Full Version : DX from South America coming in tonight.

Jerry
08-26-2011, 09:26 PM
10 meters was dead tonight and so I connected the old General Electric 23 channel CB up to the antenna and was turning the knob and came across some interesting conversations on the 11 meters.

I don't know if they were running a lot of power or if the storm was bringing their signals into my location, but I sat and listened to them talk for about a half a hour - waiting for the 10 meters to open back up. It never did here in Pennsylvania.

8/26/11

Happy Birthday to ME!

N8YX
08-27-2011, 07:44 AM
Condx were like that as well for me on Tuesday evening. Got a new (to me) IC-R70 in the mail that afternoon and promptly put it to work in the 26-28MHz region. It was fairly active with signals, and the Mexican trucker channel (Ch5) was roaring with life like our old Ch19 used to "...back in the day...".

As I indicated elsewhere, not a peep on 10 that evening. Would have been nice to put some XEs in the log.

Jerry
08-28-2011, 09:41 PM
Last weekend the VHF DX was excellent.
I was hearing repeaters from your neck of the woods on our local frequencies.
I didn't listen long enough to recognize the actual repeater - or else I would have changed the PL in my radio and tried it.

N8YX - did you get any contacts on the 10 meters this weekend?
I had to work a marathon Saturday and one of the tech's drove his personal vehicle with multiple radios in it and he said he heard some skip coming in Saturday afternoon a couple of times.

N8YX
08-29-2011, 05:38 AM
N8YX - did you get any contacts on the 10 meters this weekend?
I had to work a marathon Saturday and one of the tech's drove his personal vehicle with multiple radios in it and he said he heard some skip coming in Saturday afternoon a couple of times.
A couple of the locals did - well into Sunday morning - but I was up to my neck in vehicle projects and didn't have much time for radio. Need a better antenna, regardless - they're hearing stuff which I am not.

kb2vxa
08-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Just one of those Gruesome Stringbean things, 57 Channels And Nothing On. That is to say if anyone was listening they weren't saying anything, no CQ Serenade.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAlDbP4tdqc
http://www.angelfire.com/planet/amateur-radio-guy/CQ_Serenade.html

11M makes a pretty good beacon band but otherwise about all that's to be heard is the usual juke box smash, number one with a bullshit by C.B. McNocall and the Freebanders, Screamin, Squallin' 'n Wall To Wall Caterwallin'. (Goodness gracious my rig's on fire!)

Thank you Mrs. Tirebiter.

WØTKX
08-29-2011, 02:34 PM
That's why I tend to jump into the CW beacon area on 10 and look with the panadapter mode with the Flex.

I need to hook up my Johnson again, just because I can. :mrgreen:

K7SGJ
08-29-2011, 07:58 PM
When your done with your Johnson, give 10 a try.