PDA

View Full Version : Flower Pot Stealth Antenna

W3WN
08-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Just came across this today. It's so simple and obvious, it's a wonder that it never occurred to me before.

This is a great idea for anyone dealing with HOA Nazis or other antenna-restricted or antenna-limited places:

http://www.zianet.com/dhassall/flowerpot.html

Idea is quite simple: Mount one or more hamstick antennas on a flower pot, cover with PVC to make it look like a tressel or similar flower support, and you have a mini-antenna farm virtually in plain sight!

Brilliant!

W5RB
08-26-2011, 01:21 PM
...and it was so simple , like the jitterbug , it plumb evaded me.

It truly is brilliant .

N8YX
08-27-2011, 09:48 AM
I would rather take my chances in wild suburbia than put up with the idiosyncrasies of a bunch of self-important, busybody HOAssholes.

W5RB
08-27-2011, 01:04 PM
I would rather take my chances in wild suburbia than put up with the idiosyncrasies of a bunch of self-important, busybody HOAssholes.

For an increasing number of people , unfortunately , it's not really a matter of choice . For some folks , I think HRD and 802.11 offer some good options . Just remote control the mobile in the driveway , if you're allowed to park vehicles outside .

W3WN
08-27-2011, 03:23 PM
I would rather take my chances in wild suburbia than put up with the idiosyncrasies of a bunch of self-important, busybody HOAssholes.Well, there is that. But there are those who don't have a lot of choices.

For example, take AD3Q (please!). I mentioned this antenna to him at the club breakfast this morning, and he's interested. Bob has had some health issues of late (a long story) and is currently living in a subsided apartment, on disability. He doesn't have much of a choice. He's been making do with some other makeshift antenna ideas, but this one is intriguing. We'll see what happens.

ki4itv
08-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Lot's of very smart people on zianet.
I often wonder if the govt. doesn't just stash some of their most free thinking employees out there just to keep them away from the rest of us.

N8YX
08-27-2011, 04:33 PM
Well, there is that. But there are those who don't have a lot of choices.
How so?

Is one forced to buy a home which is located in a development governed by CC&Rs?

Or does living in an area free of such things put people in too close a proximity to Les Undesirables?

ETA:

I've had to resort to similar antenna schemes when renting but if I'm going to lay out my hard-earned shekels on purchased property, it damn sure isn't going to be for something that is subject to the whims of egotists. Non-HOA housing isn't that hard to find, even though one may have a longer commute as a result. It's all about priorities. I don't need the 'safety' of a gated community and can take care of mine and my own just fine without such.

W2NAP
08-27-2011, 05:16 PM
HOA's just need to go. period.

KG4CGC
08-27-2011, 06:18 PM
HOA's just need to go. period.
Like the invention of the infomercial by Ross Perot, HOAs are here to stay. Hoes On Acid.

W3WN
08-27-2011, 09:02 PM
How so?

Is one forced to buy a home which is located in a development governed by CC&Rs?

Or does living in an area free of such things put people in too close a proximity to Les Undesirables?

ETA:

I've had to resort to similar antenna schemes when renting but if I'm going to lay out my hard-earned shekels on purchased property, it damn sure isn't going to be for something that is subject to the whims of egotists. Non-HOA housing isn't that hard to find, even though one may have a longer commute as a result. It's all about priorities. I don't need the 'safety' of a gated community and can take care of mine and my own just fine without such.
Well, I explained Bob's situation. He's not the only one I can think of who's been forced due to economics or a job loss to move into smaller quarters with restrictions.

Hey, the antenna isn't for everyone. If you own your own property, there are many other options, should you have the misfortune of living in a CC&R or HOA restricted area -- and I AM going to get that flagpole vertical in this fall (as I'm getting all sorts of hell from the boss over not starting the front porch project yet, and she IS getting nasty about it).

I simply admire the simple brilliance of adapting a mobile antenna like a ham stick into a very stealthy antenna, for someone stuck with restrictions.

n2ize
09-12-2011, 06:34 AM
It is a clever idea and not just for people involved with those miserable HOA's but for those living in apartments or other tight places where an outdoor antenna on a tree, tower or roof is not an option and, the less people know about any radio operations the better.

What does make me laugh about these HOA's is that by forcing hams to resort to restricted and less efficient antenna's at ground level they are opening themselves up to some severe RFI being that the point of radiation is going to be much closer to people and susceptible consumer electronics devices.

w0aew
09-12-2011, 07:54 AM
Wow. Can't even see the radials.

N8YX
09-12-2011, 08:48 AM
In light of the DHS becoming more involved with amateur radio, we've been hearing rumblings about them interceding in these HOA/ARS "situations". One wonders what the outcome will be...

KJ3N
09-12-2011, 08:53 AM
In light of the DHS becoming more involved with amateur radio, we've been hearing rumblings about them interceding in these HOA/ARS "situations". One wonders what the outcome will be...

I wouldn't hold my breath....

N8YX
09-12-2011, 08:56 AM
I wouldn't hold my breath....

I figured as much, but certain folks are of the opinion that increased agency involvement will save the service.

A Faustian bargain would be a more accurate description.

KJ3N
09-12-2011, 09:22 AM
.... but certain folks are of the opinion that increased agency involvement will save the service.

The only thing the "service" needs, is to be saved from these same idiots. :roll:

A Faustian bargain would be a more accurate description.

Yeah.... there's something I'm looking forward to.... :roll:

Ham radio: now part of the Gestapo that is the DHS..... Sieg Heil!!!! :roll: :roll:

X-Rated
09-12-2011, 04:45 PM
Back in college, I was in a dorm room my first year. It was in Shirk Hall room 301. I had my Johnson Viking Ranger and a Hallicrafters SX-111 receiver I stuffed down under my bed. Then I strung up a dipole for 80M around the ceiling and floor of the room. I was working XE's and VE's from SE Kansas on CW with that arrangement anyway. I had a great time messing with people. They were stopping by asking me if I knew anything about the radio interference. I later moved to a house and put my antennas up outside.

Anyway, the room I had back then is now used as radio studio for the KRPS radio station. KA0BNR told me about it and when I went back there, I saw that they did indeed use my old dorm room as the studio. So sometimes hidden antennas will metaphorically grow your station into a 100,000W broadcasting giant.

W3WN
09-13-2011, 03:01 PM
In light of the DHS becoming more involved with amateur radio, we've been hearing rumblings about them interceding in these HOA/ARS "situations". One wonders what the outcome will be...I've heard rumblings & grumblings as well, but until something a little more overt happens, well, don't turn into a smurf.

W3WN
09-13-2011, 03:03 PM
I figured as much, but certain folks are of the opinion that increased agency involvement will save the service.

A Faustian bargain would be a more accurate description.Faustian indeed. Considering how well DHS has done at the airports with the TSA (which is part of them), I'd be scared spitless to get them involved in amateur radio.

For one thing, I don't think they know the difference between a cavity resonator and a cavity search, but I think I know which one they prefer (and I don't!)

n2ize
09-23-2011, 10:56 AM
The DHS should really be outsourced to private security firms to handle the various operations. As a Gubmint op it is extremely deficient.

W9JAM
09-23-2011, 09:38 PM
Ok, That is an awesome Idea... My landlord would actually go for that wholeheartedly! He just doesn't want any beams :( Oh well... Thanks for posting this!