PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow is the day I buy a new HF radio

Jerry
08-25-2011, 08:35 PM
After months of deliberation, I have finally decided on which radio to purchase with the help of BOB at HRO Delaware.

The final two in my price range were the Yaesu FT 2000 and the Kenwood TS 590S....

Everyone said that for the money, the Kenwood TS 590 was the better receiver.

I don't like Heil headsets - so I am going to purchase a desk mic and I am going to invest in some tower and a 10 and 20 meter beam antenna sometime in the future.

I can't depend on 10 meters for daily conversations on the radio and I can't stand the 2 meters repeaters anymore.

I'm hoping that nothing better comes out in the meantime.

I could have bought a Elecraft K3 - but they all said that in order to operate it I would have to connect it to a computer - because it is a difficult radio to operate - stand alone.
I could get as much as $5000.00 into it by the time I but all the filters and antenna tuner module.

Well - not that it is going to matter but I was wondering what everyone elses opinion was..

W3WN
08-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Ten Tec Eagle

N8YX
08-25-2011, 09:03 PM
Ten Tec Eagle
Yep.

The K3 is operable from the front panel - just a few menus to navigate.

I've gotten quite fond of the older gear. Keeping it Ten Tec, an Omni 6+ would be a darned hard rig to beat.

KG4CGC
08-25-2011, 09:12 PM
Ten Tec Eagle
I love my Corsair. Full compliment of filters but I never even need them. It's just that good.

Jerry
08-25-2011, 09:46 PM
Ten Tec Eagle

A friend of mine has a Ten Tec Eagle and he uses it, but he doesn't like it.
Not to say that there is anything wrong with it, just that he says that the buttons are small and not very durable. He uses his stuff everyday and he said that after buying his first Kenwood 590 - he sent it off for a friend to try and they ended up selling 20 of them to their friends before they all had one or wanted one.

He went on to say that the receiver is very sensitive compared to the other transceivers and that you can switch between the antenna tuner tuning the transmit and or the transmit and receive and that I could listen on one frequency, while transmitting on another - just not at the same time. Split - as long as both frequencies are in the same band.

When I asked about the Yaesu FT 2000 - he said that it had a crappy receiver and that if you operate multiple radios in the same area that it will overload and burn out the receiver.

That would have been my first choice, had he not told me about it.

PA5COR
08-26-2011, 01:47 AM
Jerry,
I'm picking up my FT 2000 D tomorrow.
The first series of the FT 2000 had the faulty front section that "could" devellop faults in high rf fields, the later series were modified by yaesu.
The reciever is fine, only in contest conditions where multiple 1000+ watt stations with directive gain antenna's work in a small antenna footprint the reciever can overload.

Most people don't remember to switch the IPO on, ( pre amp off) and how to use the attenuator....that will sort a lot of those problems.
If you use the FT 2000 in your home there will be no problem.
If you will use it in contests get the AC0C 3 KHz filter and (have) it installed.
Sensitivety is not the first thing to look at on H.F. all recievers will pick up any signal present, selectivety, filtering etc are more use.

Whatever radio you pick, good luck, and have lots of fun using it ;)

W3WN
08-26-2011, 08:11 AM
A friend of mine has a Ten Tec Eagle and he uses it, but he doesn't like it.
Not to say that there is anything wrong with it, just that he says that the buttons are small and not very durable. He uses his stuff everyday and he said that after buying his first Kenwood 590 - he sent it off for a friend to try and they ended up selling 20 of them to their friends before they all had one or wanted one.

He went on to say that the receiver is very sensitive compared to the other transceivers and that you can switch between the antenna tuner tuning the transmit and or the transmit and receive and that I could listen on one frequency, while transmitting on another - just not at the same time. Split - as long as both frequencies are in the same band.

When I asked about the Yaesu FT 2000 - he said that it had a crappy receiver and that if you operate multiple radios in the same area that it will overload and burn out the receiver.

That would have been my first choice, had he not told me about it.Considering the Eagle has only been out a few months, how would he know how durable the buttons are?

I've had an opportunity recently to use a K3. It's not a bad radio, it's quite nice actually. I certainly wouldn't turn it down if offered to me, but it is not a radio I would recommend to someone as a primary rig. Not until they become more familiar with it. Also, the owner of that rig has had it back to Elecraft a few times to have some issues addressed.

I really liked the Ten Tec Orion, but found that for my own purposes, it was more radio than I would need. If I had the shekels to build a 6 rig multi-multi contest setup, I'd invest in a pile of these; or the Orion II for that matter. Not that that pipe dream will ever happen (and I'd be more likely to find some used Omni VI or VI+'s instead anyway).

Has Kenwood improved the receive sensitivity in the 590? I know the 480 had a lousy receiver. I could put it on the same frequency as my Corsair II, and it couldn't hear the same signal that the Corsair heard 559 or better. (Same antenna too). The 480, despite my desire for a rig I could use for digitial and remote operations, flunked because of the poor receiver. That and the desense issue; a strong signal a few kc away would wipe out my front end.

And split operation is pretty standard on most rigs these days. That's not exactly a "Kenwood only" feature.

KC2UGV
08-26-2011, 08:30 AM
I think you'll enjoy the expanses of HF you have access to now :) Don't forget 30 meters :)

WØTKX
08-26-2011, 08:36 AM
I still :heart: my Flex 3000.

KJ3N
08-26-2011, 11:01 AM
I'll take a K3 over an Orion II any day.

N8YX
08-26-2011, 11:13 AM
I'll take a K3 over an Orion II any day.

Because it's darned hard to stack them with the Ten-Tec on top... :whistle:

W3WN
08-26-2011, 11:40 AM
I'll take a K3 over an Orion II any day.Having used both a K3 and an Orion... I wouldn't. But, to each his own.

W3WH has a nice Elecraft collection. K1, K2 & K3. I don't know if he's planning on getting the KX3 as well.

That panadapter (P3 I believe) is a nice little add-on to the K3, I can see why people like it. Ten-Tec announced a panadapter for the Orions, but hasn't actually come out with it yet. If Elecraft wanted, they could make a flavor of the P3 that would be compatible with the Orions and take that market right out from Sevierville...

KJ3N
08-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Because it's darned hard to stack them with the Ten-Tec on top... :whistle:

No, because the Orion is too fscking big, period.

KJ3N
08-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Having used both a K3 and an Orion... I wouldn't. But, to each his own.

See above post. I briefly used the original Orion and it was a fscking PITA to use. Ten-Tec does wierd shit.

W3WN
08-26-2011, 12:47 PM
By the way, whomever told Jerry that you "have" to connect a K3 to a computer to use it was full of malarky.

Absolutely untrue.

When I was last at W3WH's, the only time we hooked the K3 up to his laptop was to upload the latest firmware (which involved disconnecting the P3 panadapter, BTW). Otherwise, no problem.

W3WN
08-26-2011, 12:53 PM
See above post. I briefly used the original Orion and it was a fscking PITA to use. Ten-Tec does wierd shit.The Orion was designed for use in a contester's shack. Scott W4PA, who was at the time at TT and a very active contester, had a big hand in the layout and use of the rig (He now owns Vibroplex, BTW) and he can give you further details.

The Orion, and presumbably the Orion II as well, are NOT designed for the average, everyday ham to use. Which is not to say that you can't use it for day to day operating, obviously you can, just that there is a learning curve. Basically, the Orion was designed for the same market niche that the FT-1000 and similar Icom & Kenwood top-echelon rigs serve... only the imports run about $10K, whereas the O was originally around $3K and the O2 with Autotuner is now close to $4K.

The first time I sat down in front of the Orion, it took more than a few minutes to figure out, and I'd like to think I know my way around most radios. But I did figure out basic operating, it's just not as intuitive as I'd care for.

The Omni VII, and now the Eagle (which is really an updated Argonaut V with a 100W brick), are more designed for the "regular amateur", and are much more intuitive to use. I only had a few minutes with each at Dayton, but they were fun to play with.

I expect that eventually, the Jupiter will be phased out, and if it's not replaced with a Jupiter/Pegasus III, the Eagle will fill that niche.

KG4CGC
08-26-2011, 01:07 PM
I've heard tale that the Jupiter wasn't a real Ten Tec, putting it more on par with a 746 and not having that Ten Tec receive or clarity.
Pretty rig though if you're into that look.

W3WN
08-26-2011, 01:15 PM
I've heard tale that the Jupiter wasn't a real Ten Tec, putting it more on par with a 746 and not having that Ten Tec receive or clarity.
Pretty rig though if you're into that look.The Jupiter was an update of the Pegasus. The Pegasus was Ten-Tec's answer to the Kachina computer controlled radio, http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/119 http://kachina.ae5k.us/history.html, very similar capabilities at about half the price.

The big gripe a lot of Pegasus users or potential users had was that you HAD to have a PC connected to operate it, they wanted a front panel. C'mon guys, do I really have to say this... they wanted KNOBS!

Thus was born the Pegasus FP, which went to market as the Jupiter.

I have heard gripes that the Pegasus & Jupiter had some sensitivity issues, but there are mods out for that.

WØTKX
08-26-2011, 01:29 PM
I have a Pegasus, and it's pretty darn nice. Yes, I have the Pod Knob.

The number pad on the front of my Ten Tec Delta II is pretty weird, and the much maligned Jones filter works great. Wee bit of phase noise, and a few birdies that never get in the way.

KG4CGC
08-26-2011, 01:33 PM
I considered a Pegasus way back in the late 90s. Found a guy selling one at a hamfest. I asked him the usual questions like 'does it work,' 'what are your issues with the rig' etc, and he got royally pissed off so I didn't even hang around to ask the price. Well actually, before I could find out what he wanted for it he threw out the, "I'll just sell it on ebay" line and that's when I walked without even as much as wave good-bye. I don't think the resale on them was that good at the time.

These days, if someone wants to pull that line out of their unwashed, hamfest ass, I'll simple question them about why they even showed up and why aren't they packing up their gear and leaving. I simply have no patience for sellers who want to act like assholes because of the usual questions. Yeah, if he was holding a seminar earlier then sorry, didn't make it. Now answer my funking questions without the attitude.

As far as gear goes, if you're going to dump FT 2000 money into a rig, go Ten Tec ... unless of course you an America hater.

N8YX
08-26-2011, 01:37 PM

It's no bigger than my '940s and there are two of them plus slaved receivers in the SO2R spot.

'DSG has the Icom lineup in the multiplier position; that outfit stretches four feet...

PA5COR
08-26-2011, 02:50 PM
I brought the Yaesu FT 2000 D home this afternoon.
If i don't post the next weeks you know why.
Buy asperine stock...

WØTKX
08-26-2011, 03:35 PM
Amazing how many people keep their RX amplified, then bitch about overloaded front ends. Keep your shields (attenuators) up Cor. ;)

I know a lot of people who have the TS-590. And while you can look at the specs all the time, the best thing about them compared to the Yaesu (and other rigs) is they are very listenable... especially with a decent external speaker. As long as the radio has enough sensitivity to get the job done, it's all about signal to noise.

Also, it really easy to crank the transmit audio knobs to "11" on most Yaesu rigs, and make them sound bloody awful... but the meters swing strong. :snicker.

The Kenwood is more forgiving in that area IMHO. I think it's a great choice for a regular rig, and perfect for rag chew discussions... or arguments, if that's what trips yer trigger. It will do OK on CW or digital modes, if the OP cares to give that a try.

BUT, I also would (and have) recommend the Eagle or the K3. Unless you like computers, like I do, and then it's the Flex 3K.

W2NAP
08-26-2011, 03:56 PM
id still rather have me a ts-950sdx.

KJ3N
08-26-2011, 04:00 PM
The first time I sat down in front of the Orion, it took more than a few minutes to figure out, and I'd like to think I know my way around most radios. But I did figure out basic operating, it's just not as intuitive as I'd care for.

Hence my big issue with it. Not to mention the price tag.

I get a better RX on the K3 than the O, and I get it for less, even if I buy the second RX. And let's not forget that the O's second RX (from all reports I've seen) sucks balls. With the K3, the second RX is identical to the main RX.

WØTKX
08-26-2011, 04:03 PM
Remember, Jerry wanted to buy a new radio, and not a used but good rig.
Really hard to find a TS-950 "new in box" these days, and expensive. ;)

The TS-850SAT w/DSP-100 that I have is pretty close, no second RX.
Inrad roofing filters installed in the Kenwood help it a hell of a lot.

Still like the Flex 3K better than any of my other radios, and I have some good ones here.

N8YX
08-26-2011, 04:04 PM
Hence my big issue with it. Not to mention the price tag.

I get a better RX on the K3 than the O, and I get it for less, even if I buy the second RX. And let's not forget that the O's second RX (from all reports I've seen) sucks balls. With the K3, the second RX is identical to the main RX.

Yep.

I wish Elecraft would build a 'K4'. That is, a bigger box with dual RX and the panadapter included. Large controls for larger hands. There would be two of them sitting in the shack in short order.

KJ3N
08-26-2011, 04:05 PM
It's no bigger than my '940s and there are two of them plus slaved receivers in the SO2R spot.

And I consider a 940 to be too big as well. Not to mention too fscking heavy.

'DSG has the Icom lineup in the multiplier position; that outfit stretches four feet...

I don't have that kind of room to dedicate 4 feet to just one radio setup, nor would I want to.

WØTKX
08-26-2011, 04:07 PM
Oh, I want to. And need to.

w2amr
08-26-2011, 04:47 PM
I still :heart: my Flex 3000.Go buy a real radio ya wuss.:neener:

KG4CGC
08-26-2011, 04:52 PM
And I consider a 940 to be too big as well. Not to mention too fscking heavy.

I don't have that kind of room to dedicate 4 feet to just one radio setup, nor would I want to.The FT-901DM set up, 5 feet wide weighing in at over 100 pounds. I believe the rig alone is almost 50#s. Of course, everything plugs straight in to the mains.

Jerry
08-26-2011, 09:22 PM
A guy that runs a ham radio web site for the quiz's that are used for the amateur radio exams told me that he had built a K2 and then sold it to a man and the man was not happy with it and sold it back to him and he offered to sell it to me for $1000.00

15 watts and it has no built in antenna tuner.
I considered it - but I have a set of high power lines directly in front of the house - less then 60 feet away. And a second set of high power lines 70 feet behind the house. The local co/op is fair when it comes to maintenance and upkeep - but regardless I would get some noise off them and that wouldn't be good when the largest antenna I can put up is a 20 meter beam and some type of long wire antenna.

I might still buy the K2 - if I can justify it's being in the shack.
Even as a contest rig - 15 watts wouldn't do much where I live.

With a 4 element 20 meters beam and 100 watts - ICOM 746 Pro - I still had a hard time talking over a lot of other people on Field Days at our shack up on the hill.

I'm not into CW - most of my work would be rag chews and DX.

W2NAP
08-27-2011, 11:38 AM
Remember, Jerry wanted to buy a new radio, and not a used but good rig.
Really hard to find a TS-950 "new in box" these days, and expensive. ;)

The TS-850SAT w/DSP-100 that I have is pretty close, no second RX.
Inrad roofing filters installed in the Kenwood help it a hell of a lot.

Still like the Flex 3K better than any of my other radios, and I have some good ones here.

sometimes new isnt always better lol

sirdrakejr
09-04-2011, 10:10 PM
The Ten-Tec Delta II is a great radio. The Jones filters allowed me to hear things other guys couldn't when on a net. I sold it only because I wanted a IC-706 series due to the smaller size. I have had all three 706 radios and still have the two latest as well as a 703. BUT I still love the Delta II. They still fetch a pile of bucks on eBay!
Frank

KG4CGC
09-04-2011, 10:18 PM
The Ten-Tec Delta II is a great radio. The Jones filters allowed me to hear things other guys couldn't when on a net. I sold it only because I wanted a IC-706 series due to the smaller size. I have had all three 706 radios and still have the two latest as well as a 703. BUT I still love the Delta II. They still fetch a pile of bucks on eBay!
Frank
I saw a couple at Shelby that you could have picked up for a song. Literally.

n2ize
10-08-2011, 06:09 PM

Too big ??? It weights < 20 lbs. To me any radio that weighs less than 100 lbs is tiny. :)

w2amr
10-09-2011, 03:40 AM
Too big ??? It weights < 20 lbs. To me any radio that weighs less than 100 lbs is tiny. :)
$20 lbs? Hell the power transformers in most of my transmitters weigh that much.:mrgreen:

WØTKX
10-09-2011, 10:42 PM
My Delta II is a keeper. I'd be more inclined to sell my Pegasus or one of my Omni D's than the Delta II. Not because of performance so much as it's a little rare and misunderstood. A little phase noise (not much) and a few birdies... But oooohhh that QSK is fast and quiet on CW.

The "secret keypress MARS mod" is mildly amusing.

I paid $500.00 for mine. The display backlight still has some life in it.