PDA

View Full Version : I'm a proud Mommy

N2CHX
08-25-2011, 07:54 PM
...to two motorcycles. In addition to my Kymco Quannon I got a great deal on a Ninja. The girl I bought it from was moving and had to get rid of it. What a nice ride! Since I started riding I don't care to ever drive a car again.

KJ3N
08-25-2011, 07:56 PM
Since I started riding I don't care to ever drive a car again.

We'll see how that holds up during the winter.

N2CHX
08-25-2011, 07:57 PM
My Quannon:

My Ninja:

N2CHX
08-25-2011, 07:58 PM
We'll see how that holds up during the winter.

I've already ridden in 20 degree weather, including sleet and snow, this past spring. Nothing I can't handle. :cool2:

N8YX
08-25-2011, 08:00 PM
Nice looking bike, Kelli!

The EX500 has something of a cult following - a lot of folks I know race them, and they're as close to indestructible as you're likely to find.

N8YX
08-25-2011, 08:01 PM
I've already ridden in 20 degree weather, including sleet and snow, this past spring. Nothing I can't handle. :cool2:

Lowest I've been in this year was 4 degrees. I'll pass on the precip, because around here that implies lots of salt...which is disastrous to aluminum-framed sportbikes.

kf0rt
08-25-2011, 08:02 PM
Screw the bikes; wanna bunch of kids?

N2CHX
08-25-2011, 08:08 PM
Nice looking bike, Kelli!

The EX500 has something of a cult following - a lot of folks I know race them, and they're as close to indestructible as you're likely to find.

This is the 250. Dan has a CX500 and it's a little too much bike for me. I like the economy of a smaller bike anyway but I needed just a bit more power. The 250 sure packs it. For only being 100cc bigger than the Quannon, it's amazing how much more power and speed it has. 2 cylinders vs 1 makes the ride a lot smoother too. I still love the Quannon, but it'll probably be my backup bike from now on, and the kids will probably learn how to ride on it. I took my 9 year old daughter out on the Ninja today and she was thrilled with how fast it can take off. She's a little version of me, for real. Both my girls want to learn to ride.

N2CHX
08-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Lowest I've been in this year was 4 degrees. I'll pass on the precip, because around here that implies lots of salt...which is disastrous to aluminum-framed sportbikes.

Interesting, never thought about the damage to the aluminum. Guess I'll be riding Dan's CX500 this winter :shhh:

N2CHX
08-25-2011, 08:11 PM

I already have a bunch. Had I not started collecting them at age 19, I probably would have starting collecting motorcycles at 20 instead of now when I'm 40.

kf0rt
08-25-2011, 08:21 PM
I already have a bunch. Had I not started collecting them at age 19, I probably would have starting collecting motorcycles at 20 instead of now when I'm 40.

You collect kids? Oh, man, I have a "dear diary" post that's ripe. Wishing I bought a bike; would have been a lot easier.

KG4CGC
08-25-2011, 08:49 PM
Nice score. Just the other day I was thinking to say that you were going to want a bigger bike.

I was doing more work on my carb yesterday. Learning the relationship between the slow jet, main jet, breather and exhuast. Earlier in the season I successfully bored out the main jet to about 92 and opened up the breather box and put a rain shield over it. Made a huge difference but it also made the intake noise HUGE! Made some mods on the exhuast to free it up a little. After market exhaust for my little scooter cost just as much as the ones for big bikes. Copper pipe, bonding putty, a little filing and some paint work wonders.

So, yesterday I decided to go after the slow jet. I took my measurements wrong and bored out a 35 to 95! Big mistake! Won't even start up! I took some stainless steel wire and formed a small coil to insert inside of it. It worked for a little while but it was just all wrong. Ran poorly on the low end and sputtered during idle. So, now my new jet won't get here until Tuesday. Several Chinese bike shops within 10 miles but none of them have jet that will fit a Japanese bike. Had to order one from the BIG high dollar dealer that sells Honda. I looked online but shipping time could be 2 weeks to a month. I can't wait that long since I'm not running.

Looking for a cheap solution to waterproofing a car stereo. There's a battery box solution. :)

N8YX
08-25-2011, 09:30 PM
Looking for a cheap solution to waterproofing a car stereo. There's a battery box solution. :)

You planning to use one of the older style which had two control shafts (one either side of the readout)?

If so...I have just the thing for you. Flip-front and all.

KG4CGC
08-25-2011, 09:40 PM
You planning to use one of the older style which had two control shafts (one either side of the readout)?

If so...I have just the thing for you. Flip-front and all.It's from a 98 Saturn. One knob and some buttons. 30 watts total so it shouldn't draw too much power. I was also considering a clear fishing/kayaking box. Options for mounting are mainly under seat or just in front of the seat.

ETA: This is what I'm dealing with.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Honda_Ruckus.jpg

Unless I can find serious plastic to make it NOT a step through.

w2amr
08-28-2011, 03:42 PM
Nice score. Just the other day I was thinking to say that you were going to want a bigger bike.

I was doing more work on my carb yesterday. Learning the relationship between the slow jet, main jet, breather and exhuast. Earlier in the season I successfully bored out the main jet to about 92 and opened up the breather box and put a rain shield over it. Made a huge difference but it also made the intake noise HUGE! Made some mods on the exhuast to free it up a little. After market exhaust for my little scooter cost just as much as the ones for big bikes. Copper pipe, bonding putty, a little filing and some paint work wonders.

So, yesterday I decided to go after the slow jet. I took my measurements wrong and bored out a 35 to 95! Big mistake! Won't even start up! I took some stainless steel wire and formed a small coil to insert inside of it. It worked for a little while but it was just all wrong. Ran poorly on the low end and sputtered during idle. So, now my new jet won't get here until Tuesday. Several Chinese bike shops within 10 miles but none of them have jet that will fit a Japanese bike. Had to order one from the BIG high dollar dealer that sells Honda. I looked online but shipping time could be 2 weeks to a month. I can't wait that long since I'm not running.

Solder up the hole in the jet, then drill it out to whatever size you want.:yes:

KG4CGC
08-28-2011, 03:49 PM
Solder up the hole in the jet, then drill it out to whatever size you want.:yes:Copper welding solder (acid) or rosin core electronic?

w2amr
08-28-2011, 04:10 PM
Copper welding solder (acid) or rosin core electronic?
I rejetted a bendix on an old Sportster I had once , It worked fine. I just used regular old rosin core and a gun. Make sure it's nice and clean, scrape the inside of the hole, and don't get any on the threads.

KG4CGC
08-28-2011, 04:25 PM
I rejetted a bendix on an old Sportster I had once , It worked fine. I just used regular old rosin core and a gun. Make sure it's nice and clean, scrape the inside of the hole, and don't get any on the threads.
Since I apparently misplaced the 0.35mm bit, I made a tiny coil from stainless wire around a fine sewing needle and inserted it, soldering a tab down around the screw slot in the head. It started up, ran for a little while but poorly on the low end. I think it was still too big. Turned the idle up way high. Based on the sound, I think I would have had to open up the exhuast. Thus, I think it was still too big.
Good thing to know since I have plans for a custom exhuast rattling around in my head.

NQ6U
08-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Since I apparently misplaced the 0.35mm bit, I made a tiny coil from stainless wire around a fine sewing needle and inserted it, soldering a tab down around the screw slot in the head. It started up, ran for a little while but poorly on the low end. I think it was still too big. Turned the idle up way high. Based on the sound, I think I would have had to open up the exhuast. Thus, I think it was still too big.
Good thing to know since I have plans for a custom exhuast rattling around in my head.

The hell with all that. Put a 350 in the thing and be done with it.

w2amr
08-28-2011, 04:47 PM
Good thing to know since I have plans for a custom exhuast rattling around in my head. Maybe it's time to buy a bigger bike.

KG4CGC
08-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Maybe it's time to buy a bigger bike.
Yep. Looking at a 150. The Ruckus has a great following among scooter buffs though. As long as you change the oil and put gas in it, it will run like Honda. That's because it is a Honda. Piddling with the slow jet was a mistake on my part but it's also a learning process.

KB3LAZ
08-29-2011, 06:48 AM

I want two of each.. :D As in two bikes and two kids not two boys and two girls, lol. ...But Ill make my own kids. :P

W7XF
08-29-2011, 01:57 PM
OMG....Travis... you're gonna put a few more vampires on the planet???? :shock:

KG4CGC
08-29-2011, 02:33 PM
OMG....Travis... you're gonna put a few more vampires on the planet???? :shock:
Hybrid Spanish vampires with IQs over 160.

WØTKX
08-29-2011, 02:36 PM
To Quack, or Not to Quack. :rofl:

http://notfunnycartoons.com/start/vampireduck2.jpg