PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Tracking Hurricane Irene?

KG4CGC
08-25-2011, 02:35 PM
http://www.stormpulse.com/

Seems that Irene also has a last name, "Phelps."

http://twitter.com/#!/_westborochurch

Seriously, anyone in the path planning an evacuation or will you just be leaving?

X-Rated
08-25-2011, 04:48 PM
My last hurricane was Ike a few years ago. That was massive here in Chicago. We were drenched. Massive flooding. I hope the best for you guys in the path.

ki4itv
08-25-2011, 04:56 PM
I'm watching this one closely. Doesn't look good at all...I completely expect it to get very nasty in Central Virginia before bitch-slapping Megalopolis.

I've been calling her Rene all day, but it looks like she'll close the center again and get her "I" back pretty quickly during the looming diurnal min.

W1GUH
08-25-2011, 05:06 PM
http://i.space.com/images/i/11694/i02/hurricane-irene-goes-110824.jpg

More pix here. (http://www.space.com/12728-hurricane-irene-photos-space-station-satellites.html)

NQ6U
08-25-2011, 05:08 PM
Good night, Irene.

KG4CGC
08-25-2011, 05:17 PM
Just saw NJ gov. Chisty on TV talking about the possibility of issuing an evacuation order. The man is more orange than Boner could ever dream to be. Jaundice? Jebus he's huge!
"If I say you have to leave, you better leave!"

rot
08-25-2011, 05:22 PM
Well...for as far as what I'll see is probably 40mph winds for 4 to 6 hour and a couple of inches of rain...just from what I know now.
Damn Fran was like 80 MPH for 10 to 12 hours and that sucked huge...cant believe that was 15 years ago. Damn no power for two weeks and a bazillion trees down. RadioBarn roof was all over the place, but fortunuately little house damage.
I'm watching her though...
My best to all in path and be safe....you can pick the shit up later..get out of town if you have to.
Good luck.
rot

KG4CGC
08-25-2011, 05:26 PM
Get your hard drives ready to tear out of you need to bug out! The slide feature in the old HP case is good for that.

n2ize
08-25-2011, 05:44 PM
Well, the worst that can happen here is a tree will come crashing through my roof killing me. If it does then I hope it hits me hard and kills me in one hard shot because the last thing I would want it to be alive with every bone in my body pulverized. The second worst thing that can happen is lots of trees and wires down keeping power out for a few days or weeks, whatever and making travel difficult as we skirt around downed trees,.etc. Fortunately we had an intense Nor'easter that came through here not long ago and it knocked down most of the old rotted or weak trees. Don;t know how the stronger trees will take it., These types of trees are not used to sustained hurricane force winds. The good part. I am far enough away from the ocean, the sound, and large bodies of water so I don't have to worry about the ocean crashing into me bedroom in the middle of the night. With luck it won't be too horrific. We've had severe hurricanes skirt this area and not be too bad round here. This one looks nasty right now though/

KK4AMI
08-25-2011, 06:01 PM
I just got back from Deltaville, Virginia where my boat is stored. I tried to seal it up and doubled all the lines. My marina is trying to pull it out and put it on hard stands. I'm trying to save the dumb thing and my wife is ready to collect the insurance (We obviously have differing opinions on the merits of boats.) This one scares me. Lets see, Isabel er Irene, I hate the I's. At least it is missing us in Charlottesville. Get ready to duck New York!

W5RB
08-25-2011, 06:43 PM
Looks poor for Norfolk . Doesn't one of our guys work up there ?

KG4CGC
08-25-2011, 07:22 PM
I believe that is Luke's work QTH.

Anyone try the weather feature on maps/google?

W4GPL
08-25-2011, 07:37 PM
Been there, done that. Hurricanes suck. I think all the preparation and waiting is the worst part. Everyone in the mid-Atlantic/northeast, take care..

W4GPL
08-25-2011, 08:22 PM
NYC plans to shut down entire transportation system on Saturday - nydailynews http://nydn.us/pdEiDq

W5RB
08-25-2011, 08:25 PM
I suspect that for a lot of areas , the rain will be worse than the wind . Meanwhile , TD-10 looks like it will become Jose' in a day or two .

KG4CGC
08-25-2011, 08:57 PM
I didn't think Hugo would be such a big deal up where I am near the NC GA borders. It knocked out power, spawned tornadoes, and just plain rained like hell for 10 hours straight with a break when the still formed eye passed. Fortunately, we didn't get near the damage that Charleston, Charlotte and Charleston WV got. What a path that storm took!

ki4itv
08-25-2011, 09:35 PM
I suspect that for a lot of areas , the rain will be worse than the wind . Meanwhile , TD-10 looks like it will become Jose' in a day or two .
Jose= fish storm
a shipping problem at best.

n2ize
08-25-2011, 11:22 PM
Get your hard drives ready to tear out of you need to bug out! The slide feature in the old HP case is good for that.

If it gets bad enough here to have to worry about tearing out my hard drive and running for it then at that point the last of my worries would be that hard drive.

KG4CGC
08-25-2011, 11:33 PM
If it gets bad enough here to have to worry about tearing out my hard drive and running for it then at that point the last of my worries would be that hard drive.
Not me. I can take them out in about 10 seconds. My back up drive is especially important. I need to get an external case for a SATA drive to use as a 3rd back up.

n2ize
08-25-2011, 11:43 PM
Not me. I can take them out in about 10 seconds. My back up drive is especially important. I need to get an external case for a SATA drive to use as a 3rd back up.

Well, by the time the ocean reaches my front door I'll have long since said a prayer for humanity as I once knew it. All kidding aside if you do live in an evacuation prone or coastal area then it is a good idea to have your important information and other important things ready to be packed into a "go bag" and ready to go just in the event you have to move to higher ground. Fortunately I'm already on higher ground.

ad4mg
08-26-2011, 03:56 AM
Looks poor for Norfolk . Doesn't one of our guys work up there ?

I believe that is Luke's work QTH.

Anyone try the weather feature on maps/google?
Most of the work I oversee is in the Norfolk area, and I occasionally work out of our Newport News office. Yesterday evening, I was notified by the Navy that the naval base and supporting facilities will be closed today for storm preparations. Much of Norfolk is very low in elevation, some of it below sea level. The Child Care Center we built last year is a mere 16' above sea level, and it sits right on Willoughby Bay. Virginia Beach may get most of the wind, but Norfolk will get the worst of the flooding. They're taking things very seriously.

The rest of my work down that way is farther west, primarily Yorktown and Williamsburg.

It's very possible that it could get interesting as far west as Richmond. We'll prepare for the worst. Isabel did far more damage here than anyone thought, and we were without power for a week after that one. I'm going to finally "eat my peas" and buy a portable generator this evening to run the refrigerator and a few lights.

The entire east coast north of the Carolinas should take this one very seriously. I heard Bloomberg is considering a mandatory evacuation for NYC. That's unheard of ...

n2ize
08-26-2011, 04:10 AM
. I heard Bloomberg is considering a mandatory evacuation for NYC. That's unheard of ...

Yeah, along the low lying coastal areas. Parts of lower Manhattan and sections of Brooklyn sit right on the water and are potentially prone to serious flooding.

n2ize
08-26-2011, 04:11 AM
NYC plans to shut down entire transportation system on Saturday - nydailynews http://nydn.us/pdEiDq

Yep, they do that in bad snowstorms and blizzards too.

n2ize
08-26-2011, 04:48 AM
Heard a report that Irene is now a Cat 2 hurricane with max sustained winds of 110 mph and that is somewhat less tightly formed around the eye. Let's hope that it continues to weaken before it makes landfall anywhere.

KC2UGV
08-26-2011, 06:12 AM
Yeah, along the low lying coastal areas. Parts of lower Manhattan and sections of Brooklyn sit right on the water and are potentially prone to serious flooding.

What's scary is depending on which way the storm tracks, ocean levels might rise to the point of Manhattan being under sea level during the storm :(

I hope you NYC folk stay safe, along with the other coastal folk here. Thankfully, most of the other coastal folk are prepared for storms like this. The NE US, not so much.

Stay safe guys.

n2ize
08-26-2011, 06:31 AM
What's scary is depending on which way the storm tracks, ocean levels might rise to the point of Manhattan being under sea level during the storm :(

I hope you NYC folk stay safe, along with the other coastal folk here. Thankfully, most of the other coastal folk are prepared for storms like this. The NE US, not so much.

Stay safe guys.

There is not much anyone can do. I hope that by the time it gets up this way it diminishes to a Cat 1 or even a tropical storm category. While it will still cause widespread flooding and tree and building damage the less energy the better. Luckily I'm up here in Westchester in a high enough elev and far enough from the ocean. But I am worried about those who live in coastal communities. I hope they don;t take chances.

rot
08-26-2011, 06:40 AM
It's very possible that it could get interesting as far west as Richmond. We'll prepare for the worst. Isabel did far more damage here than anyone thought, and we were without power for a week after that one. I'm going to finally "eat my peas" and buy a portable generator this evening to run the refrigerator and a few lights.

The entire east coast north of the Carolinas should take this one very seriously. I heard Bloomberg is considering a mandatory evacuation for NYC. That's unheard of ...

After Fran I decided to "eat me peas" simply because water totes from the pool to the toilet was a major pain in hinney. Like a dipshit I slacked up, then a couple of years later the effin ice storm dropped us off the grid for another 10 days...huger suck..had to send the fam to a Raleigh hotel while I about froze to death at the homestead.fact is I ain't Jeremiah Johnson..no effin way..waking up to see the water bottle froze at the bedside pushed me over the edge...The ice storm was a worse suck than Fran. The pool was actualy pretty handy during Fran...we took bathes in and it toted flush water etc..looked pretty yank at the end but held up pretty good...don't regret the pool at all..I like the generators..I go off grid every(well myabe not every) year for field day and dick around with them alot.

Hope your vac plans are not completely trashed...The Banks are gonna get major abused on this as well as all along the path...I saw a couple from MN on the tube who came down and now have to get out...but they seemed cool with it....maybe just the time off and adventure will suffice for them...I hate for a vacation to go sour...I'm a sour vacation hater..I will admit to that.

Good luck
rot

W4GPL
08-26-2011, 06:50 AM
There is not much anyone can do. I hope that by the time it gets up this way it diminishes to a Cat 1 or even a tropical storm category. While it will still cause widespread flooding and tree and building damage the less energy the better. Luckily I'm up here in Westchester in a high enough elev and far enough from the ocean. But I am worried about those who live in coastal communities. I hope they don;t take chances.It's absolutely the flooding that kills. If you're in a low laying area, get the fuck out. I've been through lots of these things and it's never scary until the water starts to build up... if you're told that it's recommended that you leave the area, do it if at all possible.

n2ize
08-26-2011, 07:18 AM
It's absolutely the flooding that kills. If you're in a low laying area, get the fuck out. I've been through lots of these things and it's never scary until the water starts to build up... if you're told that it's recommended that you leave the area, do it if at all possible.

I hope people in the low lying areas take that advice. Unfortunately many people up this way don't see these things often. They don;t comprehend how far and fast the ocean can surge in and quickly flood out an entire area. They assume its just wind and rain. On the other hand New York City people are a hearty lot. They can quickly adapt and mobilize in tough situations. If the hurricane should hit full force New Yorker's will learn quick and mobilize to help each others out. One thing about NYC people. they sometimes seem impersonal and indifferent, but, in times of need they will take risks and reach out to help.

Like the time a very attractive young lady accidentally dropped her pocketbook on the subway tracks. Three of us young and able guys immediately jumped onto the tracks to retrieve it for her. We had to fight over who gets to grab it and give it to her. :mrgreen:

W5RB
08-26-2011, 07:33 AM
It's absolutely the flooding that kills. If you're in a low laying area, get the fuck out. I've been through lots of these things and it's never scary until the water starts to build up... if you're told that it's recommended that you leave the area, do it if at all possible.

This can't be emphasized enough . I monitored an HF relay of a request for help that originated on the Mississippi coast during Katrina . Guys were chopping the ceiling out of a 2nd story apartment so that they could get to the attic , away from the rising water . They were begging for help that couldn't possibly get there . I never heard the outcome. This is not a story you want the police to tell your family.

W5RB
08-26-2011, 07:34 AM

This can't be emphasized enough . I monitored an HF relay of a request for help that originated on the Mississippi coast during Katrina . Guys were chopping the ceiling out of a 2nd story apartment so that they could get to the attic , away from the rising water . They were begging for help that couldn't possibly get there . I never heard the outcome. This is not a story you want the police to tell your family.

KE7DKN
08-26-2011, 12:44 PM
I'll be riding it out in my apartment.

Ha ha! I'll see you guys in hell. (No, it doesn't exist)

W3MIV
08-26-2011, 12:55 PM
Dug out my tin hat. Charged up all the flashlight batt'ries. Only worry here is a wire antenna in the trees. Just had a lot of pruning done, and noticed that one of the arborists took down one leg of my dipole and reinstalled it after he did his cuts. Alas, he stretched the wire tight instead of leaving a bit of belly.

:(

W5RB
08-26-2011, 01:00 PM
Here's a good source for conditions at sea , plus , the NDBC is now on Facebook as well , makes it easy to share the more topical info .

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/

www.facebook.com/pages/National-Data-Buoy-Center/128538033843673?sk=wall

KG4CGC
08-26-2011, 01:51 PM
http://www.earthcam.com/usa/southcarolina/myrtlebeach/

Look for the occasional hooker strolling the boardwalk.

K7SGJ
08-26-2011, 02:15 PM
That's no hooker, that's my wife.

KG4CGC
08-26-2011, 02:27 PM
That's no hooker, that's my wife.
At least she's working.

Just saw an old woman get her hat blown straight off of her head.

K7SGJ
08-26-2011, 03:52 PM
At least she's working.

Just saw an old woman get her hat blown straight off of her head.

She might be working, but not hard enough since we seem to always be in the hole, so to speak.

W5RB
08-26-2011, 03:53 PM
Latest report shows 85 knots , central pressure creeping upward . She may pussy out on us .

ki4itv
08-26-2011, 04:25 PM
I hope so Russ. But she's big...It would take a lot of pressure rise to fill that 800 mile wide baroclinic hole.

KG4CGC
08-26-2011, 04:27 PM
ki4itv said: I hope so Russ. But she's big...It would take a lot of pressure rise to fill that 800 mile wide baroclinic hole. (http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/2011/2010JC006863.shtml)

NQ6U
08-26-2011, 05:24 PM
ki4itv said: I hope so Russ. But she's big...It would take a lot of pressure rise to fill that 800 mile wide baroclinic hole. (http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/2011/2010JC006863.shtml)

A little light reading.

NA4BH
08-26-2011, 05:50 PM
http://www.earthcam.com/usa/southcarolina/myrtlebeach/

Look for the occasional hooker strolling the boardwalk.

Looking at the GRLevel3 radar, this web cam should be getting a little activity soon. Dumbasses walking on the beach, film at eleven.

NQ6U
08-26-2011, 05:57 PM
No hookers spotted as of yet. I am sorely disappointed, Charles.

KG4CGC
08-26-2011, 06:16 PM
No hookers spotted as of yet. I am sorely disappointed, Charles.What? You must have blinked!

ki4itv
08-26-2011, 06:26 PM
This (http://surfchex.com/topsail-island-web-cam.php) surf cam is rockin a little.
No hookers though, unless one washes up.

KG4CGC
08-26-2011, 06:28 PM
This (http://surfchex.com/topsail-island-web-cam.php) surf cam is rockin a little.
Oh jeez! Did you check out how deep that swell got? SHIT MAN!

ki4itv
08-26-2011, 06:33 PM
That place will really rockin a little later.

NA4BH
08-26-2011, 06:35 PM
That pier is in for a good ass whippin.

KG4CGC
08-26-2011, 06:41 PM
People around here are all hoping that Irene takes out The Jersey Whores, er um, Shores because the show has a huge Un-Following here. Some people dislike it to the point of wanting to beat up the crew and act like a tea party supporter does on camera.

I hope all of our friends del Norte are someplace safe.

KG4CGC
08-26-2011, 06:46 PM
The NBC nightly news managing editor, Brian Williams, is saying that this storm is larger in square miles than Europe.

NQ6U
08-26-2011, 06:54 PM
I think those cameras are fake. They're showing that it's almost dark when it's not even 17:00 yet.

KG4CGC
08-26-2011, 07:03 PM
Looking at the GRLevel3 radar, this web cam should be getting a little activity soon. Dumbasses walking on the beach, film at eleven. There's a guy beach combing with a flashlight out there.
ETA: And tourists are still walking out there, drinks in hand!

KC2UGV
08-26-2011, 07:05 PM
Looking at the GRLevel3 radar, this web cam should be getting a little activity soon. Dumbasses walking on the beach, film at eleven.

You hear about it a lot when you are there. People taking 3 wheelers out when the surf rolls back, only to get swamped when it comes back in. Darwin Candidates, I guess you could say. But, one gets used to the fear.

KG4CGC
08-26-2011, 07:07 PM
You hear about it a lot when you are there. People taking 3 wheelers out when the surf rolls back, only to get swamped when it comes back in. Darwin Candidates, I guess you could say. But, one gets used to the fear.This cures all fear:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/4277395915_c5dc39fa05.jpg

NA4BH
08-26-2011, 10:24 PM
This cures all fear:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/4277395915_c5dc39fa05.jpg

That proves, FEAR IS GOOD. :rofl:

n2ize
08-26-2011, 10:24 PM

I'm surprised nobody went for a swim yet. Usually at least one idiot goes for a swim to prove he can "take it". Lot of drunks are out around here tonight. Fortunately the only place they can go for a swim around here is the Bronx River... if they like swimming in gasoline, sewage, and lawn chemicals.

NA4BH
08-26-2011, 10:29 PM
I'm surprised nobody went for a swim yet. Usually at least one idiot goes for a swim to prove he can "take it". Lot of drunks are out around here tonight. Fortunately the only place they can go for a swim around here is the Bronx River... if they like swimming in gasoline, sewage, and lawn chemicals.

You guy's aren't used to this stuff, so be safe. Just remember the wind will come from one direction (right to left), then it will be calm, then it comes from the other way (left to right).

NA4BH
08-26-2011, 10:33 PM

At 10:32pm Central, those waves are huge. Dayumm.

n2ize
08-26-2011, 10:41 PM
You guy's aren't used to this stuff, so be safe. Just remember the wind will come from one direction (right to left), then it will be calm, then it comes from the other way (left to right).

yeah, when I was a lkid I remember we had a hurricane that came through. I think it was Agnes. Torrential rains all day followed by high winds late that night. Then I saw strange lightning and a strange sort of thunder. I quickly learned it was power line flashes. Then it was calm for a while and then the wind started again.

NA4BH
08-26-2011, 10:44 PM
Usually when the second "round" comes through is when people panic. BE SAFE.

VE7DCW
08-26-2011, 11:36 PM
Usually when the second "round" comes through is when people panic. BE SAFE.

I'm watching CNN and they're predicting with the storm surge and tide conditions New York city is going to go just like New Orleans in Hurricane Katrina!! ...yikes!! I second the motion.... BE SAFE !!! :shock:

n2ize
08-26-2011, 11:49 PM
I'm watching CNN and they're predicting with the storm surge and tide conditions New York city is going to go just like New Orleans in Hurricane Katrina!! ...yikes!! I second the motion.... BE SAFE !!! :shock:

I guess anything is possible in the coastal areas. But, New Orleans was hit with a cat 5 hurricane and is in a basin that was supposed to be protected by dykes and levees. NYC is a much larger area. This hurricane is supposed to be a cat 1. No doubt it will flood certain low lying areas. We will know by Sunday afternoon. Makes me glad I live outside of and north and west of the city and well away from any major coastal flood zones. . I am mostly worried about downed trees and power lines around here. Now I am really glad I had that large dying tree cut down and I didn't put up my new antenna yet. I'll ride the storm out as best I can. Good thing is I don't have to go anywhere till Tuesday or Wednesday so, if need be I can tend to the needs of my home.

KG4CGC
08-27-2011, 05:04 AM
http://surfchex.com/nags-head-web-cam.php

I figured it would be daylight at Nags Head by now but not yet. It was pretty dark there by 8pm last night.

KG4CGC
08-27-2011, 05:08 AM
There's a chance now that Irene will track some to the east. More so than earlier thought. Either way, she's a big storm ... HUGE!
There may be some surfers in the news over the next couple of days.

KJ3N
08-27-2011, 06:16 AM
There may be some dead surfers in the news over the next couple of days.

Natural Selection, BTW. :roll:

N7YA
08-27-2011, 06:20 AM
Last i saw, it was barely a Cat2. Looked like it was exhibiting tropical storm behaviour as the rotation is clean but the strength and rain bands were sporadic. The further north it gets, the more it becomes a big gale and not so much a hurricane. I think it will leave damage, and yes, kill a dumb surfer or two, but it wont be as insane as the news is making it out to be.

I like being wrong usually, but in this case, i hope im right!

ki4itv
08-27-2011, 08:07 AM
This is a graphic layer one of my weather nerd friends uses on google earth. It has my position listed as O22sail.

Looks like Irene has been trending more north. That's not good. I don't like that.

n2ize
08-27-2011, 08:20 AM
Last i saw, it was barely a Cat2. Looked like it was exhibiting tropical storm behaviour as the rotation is clean but the strength and rain bands were sporadic. The further north it gets, the more it becomes a big gale and not so much a hurricane. I think it will leave damage, and yes, kill a dumb surfer or two, but it wont be as insane as the news is making it out to be.

I like being wrong usually, but in this case, i hope im right!

Last computer model I saw seems to hint at it going a bit further east than originally predicted. No doubt its strength will diminish but, it will still pack enough of a punch to cause problems. I heard that they expect the centre of the storm to pass through Western Massachusettes right through the same area of Massachusettes that was clobbered with tornado's a short time ago.

I think one of the scariest parts of these hurricanes is not just the storm itself but the anticipation. People get anxious thinking, where is it going to go, will their lives be affected and, if so, how much. The hurricane is like a tease, it ever so slowly approaches making people anticipate these things for days. Sometimes people expect it to be very bad and it turns out to be not so bad. Other times people think it won't be so bad and its worst than they expected. And still other times its exactly as expected. Sometimes it is expected really clobber a particular area and then the last minute it clobbers somewhere else instead. Or any such variation.

So far it's overcast here but no rain and still very calm.. little ways away I hear chain saws and a wood chipper operating. Either someone decided to remove a dead or weak tree at the last minute or else the local utilities are doing a last minute trimming of dead or weak branches in anticipation of wind gusts.

W3MIV
08-27-2011, 10:04 AM
Hatches battened. Tin hat on. Flashlights and fresh batt'ries spotted strategically. Supplies laid in. All canvas shortened. Sea anchor out.

Let 'er rip, say I!

kc7jty
08-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Wutdahellz a heraken?

n2ize
08-27-2011, 10:44 AM
The rains have begun here.

rot
08-27-2011, 11:02 AM
Well I'm getting away with murder here. Slipping by on the outer edge and it is absolutely perfect.
Most of the windows open...cool breeze coming through......just enough wind dance noise to be calming....better than prozac I'll tell ya.
Hope I don't have to eat those words but I could not have ordered a finer morn.
Best to the rest...hope all fair well as she plugs along.
rot

NQ6U
08-27-2011, 12:04 PM
Hatches battened. Tin hat on. Flashlights and fresh batt'ries spotted strategically. Supplies laid in. All canvas shortened. Sea anchor out.

Let 'er rip, say I!

Heave to and go below, sailor.

n2ize
08-27-2011, 12:12 PM
Rains have stopped here and the sky has brightened up somewhat.

KG4CGC
08-27-2011, 12:22 PM
We've been under the outer bands of the clouds since last night but no precipitation is involved.

N7YA
08-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Its just goddamned hot here!

KG4CGC
08-27-2011, 12:27 PM
Katrina had a visible cloud diameter about the length of the state of Florida. Irene dwarfs it in size.
Isn't most of the Jersey Shores built over soft soil and a landfill? Could get washed out to sea.

W3MIV
08-27-2011, 12:33 PM
Heave to and go below, sailor.

Never! Tied m'self to the mainmast with a flagon of single malt in each mitt. Let 'er rip, cry I!

ki4itv
08-27-2011, 12:50 PM
Its just goddamned hot here!

I'd take hot over listening to this tree branch smack the shit out of my house. I guess I missed one, huh. :hahano:

W5RB
08-27-2011, 01:33 PM
Rains have stopped here and the sky has brightened up somewhat.

Oh , you'll know when the rain really gets there . Areas SW of Norfolk have gotten up to 2 inches per hour since daybreak , NWS radar shows a wide area got over 5 inches , and some folks got 10 ....so far .

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=akq&product=NTP&overlay=11101111&loop=no

NQ6U
08-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Never! Tied m'self to the mainmast with a flagon of single malt in each mitt. Let 'er rip, cry I!

If I were out on the ocean during a hurricane, I'd be heaving a lot more than to. I once got seasick on a windy day on Lake Oroville.

n2ize
08-27-2011, 02:07 PM
Katrina had a visible cloud diameter about the length of the state of Florida. Irene dwarfs it in size.
Isn't most of the Jersey Shores built over soft soil and a landfill? Could get washed out to sea.

It could be the end of the world as we know it. After all, it did start with an earthquake. ;)

ki4itv
08-27-2011, 02:07 PM
Well, sounds like the undertaker is performing an autopsy of his car. Tree came down on it.
Just heard so on the local repeater. Reliability is high, I could hear it in his voice.
Hope he comes out ok, hate for bad stuff to happen to people, no matter how irritating they can be at times.

ki4itv
08-27-2011, 02:10 PM
The XYL is driving home in this shit right now. My ass cheeks are clenched so tight in this chair, I have to relax just to stand up. Grrrrr.

ab1ga
08-27-2011, 02:19 PM
Checked the forecast for my region: grass pollen is moderate but dropping, and weed pollen is high.
Guess I'll stay inside today.

NQ6U
08-27-2011, 02:29 PM
It could be the end of the world as we know it.

And I feel fine.

n2ize
08-27-2011, 03:59 PM
The XYL is driving home in this shit right now. My ass cheeks are clenched so tight in this chair, I have to relax just to stand up. Grrrrr.

Reminds me of the night my elderly parents wound up having to drive home from upstate NY in an intense driving blizzard.... Luckily they got home safe. My Dad told me the visibility was almost zero and the trip was 5mph the whole way. Thank God this happened in the era of cell phones sp they could at least call me and tell me where they were.

W2NAP
08-27-2011, 05:14 PM
hey if the skywarn guys around me was there. you would just have light wind and light rain.

ki4itv
08-27-2011, 05:23 PM
I see you guys missed where Greg may have had his car smashed to bits.

W5RB
08-27-2011, 05:32 PM
hey if the skywarn guys around me was there. you would just have light wind and light rain.

And , of course , light bars .

N1LAF
08-27-2011, 05:34 PM
All of this hype emptied out the stores of milk, and bread, etc.. no generators that have been collecting dust at home depot, and can you imagine stores running out of C and D batteries?

n2ize
08-27-2011, 05:35 PM
I see you guys missed where Greg may have had his car smashed to bits.

Yeah. he's lucky he wasn't in it when it happened. Happened around here during a Nor'easter a little while ago. Some guy was in his car and the wind cracked a limb and crushed the car. When you have strong winds + trees all bets are off.

n2ize
08-27-2011, 05:36 PM
All of this hype emptied out the stores of milk, and bread, etc.. no generators that have been collecting dust at home depot, and can you imagine stores running out of C and D batteries?

The alarmists :twisted:

KJ3N
08-27-2011, 05:46 PM

:rofl:

rot
08-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Well the fat lady has sung here. Fell off the grid for about 5 hours..no biggie..Getting some bye bye burst but that's about it for this one.
Gonna be a long night for those northeast of here and a long day tomorrow for those directly due east.
I wish you all well and a safe hang through it.
rot

n2ize
08-27-2011, 06:50 PM
It's because of global cooling. It's a natural

http://www.tartan-tours.com/cycle1.gif
Its the ice age.

ki4itv
08-27-2011, 06:54 PM
tnx rotley.
NE is in for some serious weather tomorrow.

BTW--er, I'm not a ham anymore. I lost my HF antennas about an hour ago.
Stupid me goes out there and notices the 20m vertical Zep flapping wildly and slapping stuff in the yard, so I tie it off (loosely, I thought) just before a very strong gust whips the trees really hard.
The rebound pulled the Zep tight and it in turn snatched my 40m dipole out of the tree. Dayamn.
That's a bummer. Now I have to pelt my neighbors roof with lead weights until I can hit the right limb again.:lol:

n2ize
08-27-2011, 06:59 PM
tnx rotley.
NE is in for some serious weather tomorrow.

Stupid me goes out there and notices the 20m vertical Zep flapping wildly and slapping stuff in the yard, so I tie it off (loosely, I thought) just before a very strong gust whips the trees really hard.
The rebound pulled the Zep tight and it in turn snatched my 40m dipole out of the tree. Dayamn.
That's a bummer. Now I have to pelt my neighbors roof with lead weights until I can hit the right limb again.:lol:

Hah... just a Nor'easter did that to me. Half my antenna is still tangled in the tops of two trees. Maybe Irene will get it down for me. I'll put up a new antenna...if I am still alive on Monday.

n2ize
08-27-2011, 07:02 PM
So far the death toll from Irene is 5. I suspect that number will increase as the gruesome merciless storm toys with the mere mortals below.

W2NAP
08-27-2011, 07:10 PM

actually no lightbars around here that i seen.

n2ize
08-27-2011, 07:17 PM
Oh , you'll know when the rain really gets there . Areas SW of Norfolk have gotten up to 2 inches per hour since daybreak , NWS radar shows a wide area got over 5 inches , and some folks got 10 ....so far .

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=akq&product=NTP&overlay=11101111&loop=no

The rains are here. They are hard and I suspect they will be getting a heck of a lot harder through the next 12-24 hrs before subsiding. I suspect the Bronx River will crest and flood the Bronx River parkway... down the hill from me. That river routinely floods in storms milder than this. Fortunately I'm on high ground so its not so bad here. But it is indeed raining like a sweating bitch out there. And speaking of sweating... the humidity was so thick you could cut it with a knife. I changed clothes 3x and did 2 showers today and I'm ready for a third.

rot
08-27-2011, 07:28 PM
tnx rotley.

Bwaaaaaaaa...well if the truth be known..I haven't been a ham for about a year now...Life does go on. Sunshine will reappear and you can do some serious tree fishing again..Be six months or so I guess for me to reappear...and prolly on 6m...one of me faves..used to be a regular on Sat morn 50.2 NC SSB nets..Have not talked Eddie and the boys for quite a while...fine set of people there...not real hard to get ya up there when I get the beam back up. I've had offers of help, but I like to do stuff myself,so I'm an asshole. Carl in Lynchburg(?kcs)...yadda yadda...good folk.
Keep 'em hangin man.
rot

N1LAF
08-27-2011, 08:15 PM
It is going to be mainly a big rainstorm because it is moving so slowly. It is also barely a Cat 1 Hurricane, never got to cat 4, and at best. low side of cat 3.

When the center of a hurricane is over land, it weakens quickly, and will eventually lose it's tropical characteristics. If it goes over land in NJ, it will quickly become tropical storm. Dry air has already got into the storm, basically taking out the rear side. When Gloria came through (in CT), it was moving so fast, the back end of the storm literally tore off when it crossed Long Island. I remember the winds were quite strong, but not horrible, then it came to a quick end, and saw the eye wall. We were outside, sun was out, thinking we were in the eye. The media was hyping the back side of the storm, and we waited for the storm to start up, which never did.

Here in SECT, at 9:11 pm, it is dead still outside, light showers. On radar, looks like the dry air is getting into the eastern side of the storm as well. Also, the thunderstorms that are associated with hurricanes, looks like they are dissipating as well. We will get some wind, some rain, but not enough to warrant the food and battery run. It is unlikely that the storm will strengthen before getting here.

KG4CGC
08-27-2011, 08:48 PM
http://www.earthcam.com/network/index.php?country=us&page=NY

Check out Time Square and some other NY cams. NOTHING! You'll never see this again in NY on a Saturday night or any other time.

W5RB
08-27-2011, 08:57 PM
I just wonder what nationality had its street festival scheduled for this Sunday in Manhattan , or is the season over ?

n2ize
08-28-2011, 12:11 AM
I just wonder what nationality had its street festival scheduled for this Sunday in Manhattan , or is the season over ?

Street fairs in Manhattan go on almost all year round, except maybe for the dead of winter.

n2ize
08-28-2011, 12:13 AM
It is going to be mainly a big rainstorm because it is moving so slowly. It is also barely a Cat 1 Hurricane, never got to cat 4, and at best. low side of cat 3.

When the center of a hurricane is over land, it weakens quickly, and will eventually lose it's tropical characteristics. If it goes over land in NJ, it will quickly become tropical storm. Dry air has already got into the storm, basically taking out the rear side. When Gloria came through (in CT), it was moving so fast, the back end of the storm literally tore off when it crossed Long Island. I remember the winds were quite strong, but not horrible, then it came to a quick end, and saw the eye wall. We were outside, sun was out, thinking we were in the eye. The media was hyping the back side of the storm, and we waited for the storm to start up, which never did.

Here in SECT, at 9:11 pm, it is dead still outside, light showers. On radar, looks like the dry air is getting into the eastern side of the storm as well. Also, the thunderstorms that are associated with hurricanes, looks like they are dissipating as well. We will get some wind, some rain, but not enough to warrant the food and battery run. It is unlikely that the storm will strengthen before getting here.

Yeah, but even a tropical storm or a common nor'easter can do a lot of damage.

NQ6U
08-28-2011, 01:04 AM

I think it was a festival in remembrance of old Jews who have retired to Miami. The hurricane was thrown in for added authenticity.

WØTKX
08-28-2011, 01:09 AM
Oy Carumba?

W5RB
08-28-2011, 03:33 AM
NWS National Data Buoy System #44065 at NY harbor entrance (Ambrose Light) reports wave heights at 17 feet plus at 07:50 UTC . Wind ESE gusting to 42.7 knots . By the way , has anybody told Mayor Bloomberg yet that it's illegal to turn off the elevators under ADA ?

n2ize
08-28-2011, 03:48 AM
NWS National Data Buoy System #44065 at NY harbor entrance (Ambrose Light) reports wave heights at 17 feet plus at 07:50 UTC . Wind ESE gusting to 42.7 knots . By the way , has anybody told Mayor Bloomberg yet that it's illegal to turn off the elevators under ADA ?

Bloomberg isn't even supposed to be mayor. Mayors in NYC are supposed to be 2 term. But I guess when you're a very rich mayor all bets are off.

rot
08-28-2011, 04:16 AM
I wonder what the volume of the NYC underground network would be and if it would stack up to a significant surge qeunch? Just wondering. I saw somewhere the NYPD were putting rowboats out and about. Going to be an interesting study afterwards....completely different view than the ones from down here and even Gulf slams.
Pulling for you good folk up there.
rot

W4GPL
08-28-2011, 04:18 AM
This thing looks like it's blowing apart.. very disorganized. I predict this is much ado about nothing, especially as far as the northeast is concerned.

rot
08-28-2011, 04:33 AM
It does look a bit like the back end is gone...just from cruisin the wsr-88d radar cluster view. Could be a good thing.

N1LAF
08-28-2011, 05:20 AM
It is 6:20 am, still have power, it is quite windy here, but, my 260 foot dipole is down....

Correction - The dipole is still up. I put slack in the line, and saw it lower than usual, so antenna still good

W3MIV
08-28-2011, 05:23 AM
A bit blowy all night. Plenty of rain -- heavy and steady, but not "torrential." Lots of debris in the yard as the light comes slowly up -- leaves everywhere. Glad I had an arborist prune all hell out of the trees near the house last week. Maples all doing a weird hula dance, but (mercifully) not against the house. Power went out briefly, but not for long.

Maryland had the good sense to close the Chesapeake Bay bridge and the Key Bridge over the Patapsco River -- both of which are treacherous in any sort of high wind.

All's well that ends well.

N1LAF
08-28-2011, 05:38 AM
Southeastern Connecticut is on the east side of the storm, where the wind is the worst. Still have power, though I do here the occasional popping of power transformers in the distance. The storm made second landfall in NJ, so I expect to see this storm to wind down quickly wind-wise. Rain and flooding on the western side of the storm center will continue to be a problem.

Closing of bridges, especially high bridges, and over open water makes sense. Also closing of ocean ferry's during this time makes sense. To go into end-of-the-world hysteria doesn't make sense.

N1LAF
08-28-2011, 05:42 AM
In fact, the center is near the NJ town of Toms River and Brick. Doesn't have that circular circulation of an eye anymore, and is all broken up on the east and south of the storm. Wouldn't be surprise to see sun this afternoon...

N1LAF
08-28-2011, 05:50 AM
Looks like one more band about 40 miles south, and that should be it for the heavy rain, The next band looks too small, and too far to the west to reach here.

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=41.43449&lon=-72.06943&zoom=10&type=hyb&rad=1&rad.num=6&rad.spd=25&rad.opa=70&rad.stm=1&wxsn=0&svr=0&cams=0&sat=0&riv=0&mm=0&hur=0

KJ3N
08-28-2011, 06:03 AM
Quick daylight survey reveals:

One ham radio antenna broken (40m loop). Ladder line for the main dipole wrapped around the scanner antenna (will have to get on the roof after the rain stops to fix that).

Some debris scattered around the yard. Most of the lawn is a swamp.

No trees down (yet). No water in the basement, so far.

No evidence that we lost power, but the file server was dark. Fortunately, it came right back up once power switch was engaged. UPS must have bad batteries.

Over all, not much of an event. :chin:

N1LAF
08-28-2011, 06:17 AM
The forecasters that cried "Hurricane!"

There is a rain band to the south of SECT, which I think will be the worst of the storm here, about an hour away ten minutes away. One tree top across the street came down 10 minutes ago. Power flickered twice, but still up.

KK4AMI
08-28-2011, 06:18 AM
Ditto! I have a couple of tree branches hanging in my antenna. Over all, I'd feel like we just went through "Natural Disaster Week" on the Syfy Channel. Bring on the Snow!!!

W3MIV
08-28-2011, 06:27 AM
A cyclonic storm with steady (one-minute average) winds in excess of 74mph is, by definition, a hurricane. Irene exceeded those minimal specifications. Only a fool would call it anything else.

n2ize
08-28-2011, 06:33 AM
This thing looks like it's blowing apart.. very disorganized. I predict this is much ado about nothing, especially as far as the northeast is concerned.

So far , at least in my area, this is mostly a big rainstorm. Early on last nigh after midnight t there were some heavy wind gusts and some thunderstorm activity. Winds gust seem to have diminished somewhat in intensity around here. There are still some strong gusts but not as bad as some of the nor'easters that have come through in the past. Matter of fact in between wind gusts there are points where the leaves on the trees are barely shaking. Reported wind speeds in White Plains NY are 20 - 36 mph at present. Rain however is plentiful. Won't be worrying about any water shortage this summer,

N1LAF
08-28-2011, 06:51 AM
I doubt we are getting even tropical storm effects, since the wind comes in spurts and not steady, certainly not at 35 mph, by definition.

At 75 mph, just barely a hurricane....

I think we are going through the worst of it right now, with what appears to be a quick drop off after that. Sun by 2 pm...

W3MIV
08-28-2011, 07:00 AM
Won't be worrying about any water shortage this summer,

Especially, since there is but a month of summer left.

n2ize
08-28-2011, 07:01 AM
I doubt we are getting even tropical storm effects, since the wind comes in spurts and not steady, certainly not at 35 mph, by definition.

At 75 mph, just barely a hurricane....

I think we are going through the worst of it right now, with what appears to be a quick drop off after that. Sun by 2 pm...

Yep,that is about how it is here. However, it is probably a lot rougher for those on the coastal fronts, like on the South shore of Long Island, Sections of Manhattan, Brooklyn, Coastal Ct., Jersey, etc.

W3MIV
08-28-2011, 07:07 AM
Latest from NHC:

DISCUSSION AND 48-HOUR OUTLOOK ------------------------------ AT 800 AM EDT...1200 UTC...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE IRENE WAS LOCATED BY AN AIR FORCE RESERVE HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT AND NOAA DOPPLER RADAR NEAR LATITUDE 40.3 NORTH...LONGITUDE 74.1 WEST. IRENE IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTH-NORTHEAST NEAR 25 MPH...41 KM/H...AND THIS MOTION WITH A CONTINUED GRADUAL INCREASE IN FORWARD SPEED IS EXPECTED DURING THE NEXT DAY OR SO. ON THE FORECAST TRACK...THE CENTER OF IRENE WILL MOVE NEAR NEW YORK CITY THIS MORNING...AND MOVE INLAND OVER SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND BY THIS AFTERNOON. IRENE IS FORECAST TO MOVE INTO EASTERN CANADA TONIGHT. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 75 MPH...120 KM/H...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. IRENE IS A CATEGORY ONE HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON HURRICANE WIND SCALE. IRENE IS FORECAST TO WEAKEN AND BECOME A POST-TROPICAL CYCLONE BY TONIGHT OR EARLY MONDAY. HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 125 MILES...205 KM...FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 320 MILES...520 KM. GROTON CONNECTICUT RECENTLY REPORTED SUSTAINED WINDS OF 39 MPH...63 KM/H...AND A WIND GUST TO 54 MPH...87 KM/H. BATTERY PARK NEW YORK CITY HAS RECENTLY REPORTED A TOTAL WATER LEVEL NEAR 8.6 FEET. THE LATEST MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE REPORTED BY THE HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT WAS 963 MB...28.44 INCHES. HAZARDS AFFECTING LAND ---------------------- STORM SURGE...AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS STORM SURGE WILL RAISE WATER LEVELS BY AS MUCH AS 4 TO 8 FEET ABOVE GROUND LEVEL WITHIN THE HURRICANE WARNING AREA. NEAR THE COAST...THE SURGE WILL BE ACCOMPANIED BY LARGE...DESTRUCTIVE...AND LIFE-THREATENING WAVES. HIGHER THAN NORMAL ASTRONOMICAL TIDES ARE OCCURRING THIS WEEKEND. COASTAL AND RIVER FLOODING WILL BE HIGHEST IN AREAS WHERE THE PEAK SURGE OCCURS AROUND THE TIME OF HIGH TIDE. STORM TIDE AND SURGE VALUES ARE VERY LOCATION-SPECIFIC...AND USERS ARE URGED TO CONSULT PRODUCTS ISSUED BY THEIR LOCAL NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OFFICES. WATER LEVELS IN THE CHESAPEAKE BAY WILL GRADUALLY SUBSIDE THIS MORNING. RAINFALL...IRENE IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE RAINFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 5 TO 10 INCHES...WITH ISOLATED MAXIMUM AMOUNTS OF 15 INCHES...FROM EASTERN PENNSYLVANIA...DELAWARE AND NEW JERSEY INTO EASTERN NEW YORK AND INTERIOR NEW ENGLAND. THESE RAINS...COMBINED WITH HEAVY RAINS OVER THE PAST FEW WEEKS...COULD CAUSE WIDESPREAD FLOODING... LIFE-THREATENING FLASH FLOODS...AND SIGNIFICANT UPROOTING OF TREES DUE TO RAIN-SOFTENED GROUNDS. WIND...TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS AND HURRICANE FORCE WINDS... ESPECIALLY IN GUSTS...WILL CONTINUE TO SPREAD NORTHWARD INTO SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND THIS MORNING. WINDS AFFECTING THE UPPER FLOORS OF HIGH-RISE BUILDINGS WILL BE SIGNIFICANTLY STRONGER THAN THOSE NEAR GROUND LEVEL. TORNADOES...ISOLATED TORNADOES ARE POSSIBLE OVER NORTHERN NEW JERSEY...SOUTHEASTERN NEW YORK...AND EXTREME SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND THROUGH THIS MORNING. SURF...LARGE SWELLS GENERATED BY IRENE ARE AFFECTING MUCH OF THE EAST COAST OF THE UNITED STATES. THESE SWELLS WILL CAUSE LIFE-THREATENING SURF AND RIP CURRENT CONDITIONS. NEXT ADVISORY ------------- NEXT COMPLETE ADVISORY...1100 AM EDT. $$ FORECASTER PASCH/BROWN

n2ize
08-28-2011, 07:08 AM
Especially, since there is but a month of summer left.

Very true... I am looking forward to the coming fall/winter. I'm tired of humid air, sweating, and skeeter bites.

N1LAF
08-28-2011, 07:25 AM
Yep,that is about how it is here. However, it is probably a lot rougher for those on the coastal fronts, like on the South shore of Long Island, Sections of Manhattan, Brooklyn, Coastal Ct., Jersey, etc.You are on the western side of the storm, so rain will be a bigger factor for you, unless you are right under the eye wall. Here it is more wind than rain, it is raining, but I can hear the wind roar overhead. Being on coastal Connecticut, I am in the hurricane warning region. But we still have power, and no big trees have come down around me. I suspect the worst of the wind would be from Fairfield to the CT/RI boarder

n2ize
08-28-2011, 07:34 AM
You are on the western side of the storm, so rain will be a bigger factor for you, unless you are right under the eye wall. Here it is more wind than rain, it is raining, but I can hear the wind roar overhead. Being on coastal Connecticut, I am in the hurricane warning region. But we still have power, and no big trees have come down around me. I suspect the worst of the wind would be from Fairfield to the CT/RI boarder

yeah, for us here this is mainly a major rainstorm. Reported wind velocities are even down a bit, from 20-36 mph East down to 17/33 mph E.

n2ize
08-28-2011, 07:59 AM
This storm prompted me to catch up on a few classic westerns... I watched "The Magnificent Seven", "Shane" and I'm getting ready to roll "High Noon". Then its on to the "Man with the Gun" and whatever else I can dig up.

N1LAF
08-28-2011, 07:59 AM
Already discussing the next possible coastal hurricane...

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/meteomadness/story/54340/special-sunday-video-on-irene-and-the-next-hurricane.asp

W3MIV
08-28-2011, 08:15 AM
The next storm in the system (according to the NHC) is Jose...

... Y se dirige hacia el norte en el medio del Océano Atlántico.

n2ize
08-28-2011, 08:26 AM
Already discussing the next possible coastal hurricane...

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/meteomadness/story/54340/special-sunday-video-on-irene-and-the-next-hurricane.asp

Let the sharks deal with that one.

n2ize
08-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Latest update... rain has stopped, sky is brightening up, winds calm with gentle breezes, some flooding of local rivers and highways, no visible tree damage, power/Internet up and running. Now, I can't speak for the rest of the state but, AFAIK our last nor'easter was far worst than this.

Most recent update. I think the sun will be out soon. Am I in the eye or is this thing really past me ???

W5RB
08-28-2011, 11:43 AM
The rain should be over for you . Wind will reverse and blow from the west , but shouldn't be more than about 30 knots .

N1LAF
08-28-2011, 11:52 AM
Here, the winds have gotten stronger, here is from the local weather forecaster...

TODAY: Strongest winds/rain now through early afternoon. Winds: E-SE during the morning possibly gusting to 70 mph then from NW-W during the afternoon at 35 mph!
http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/weather/storm_team_8_forecast

Cable is out, but, still have power, and phone service, and of course, DSL is still good. Those with cable modems.... too bad....

n2ize
08-28-2011, 11:54 AM
The rain should be over for you . Wind will reverse and blow from the west , but shouldn't be more than about 30 knots .

Yeah, Wind was due east on the approach Now should be switching west. Good thing is the leaves and branches of the trees are no longer water laden so they should take the wind a bit better. Main problem now is the local flooding of roads and highways. Glad I don't have to go out anywhere until Tuesday. Although we did pretty well through this storm.

W5RB
08-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Here, the winds have gotten stronger, here is from the local weather forecaster...

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/weather/storm_team_8_forecast

Cable is out, but, still have power, and phone service, and of course, DSL is still good. Those with cable modems.... too bad....

Dunno how Block Island is going to come out . NDBC reported 30-foot seas nearby , and much of the north end of Block is pretty low .

N1LAF
08-28-2011, 12:03 PM
Here you go...

http://www.blockislandri.net/cam_oh.htm

w2amr
08-28-2011, 12:57 PM
Lots of rain here, wind gusts only 50mph or so. Could have been a lot worse.

N1LAF
08-28-2011, 01:46 PM
Eastern Connecticut got hit hard by the high winds, as evidenced by the power outage map by CL&P (Connect5icut Light and Power)

http://www.cl-p.com/outage/OutageMap.aspx

Out of 6563 customers in Ledyard, 6431 has no power.

I am one of the few that has power.... cool....

Towns around Ledyard....
Voluntown 100% out
North Stonington 100% out
Montville 97% out
Preston 100% out
Stonington 100% out

Cities
Groton 91% out

W3MIV
08-28-2011, 01:58 PM
Out of 6563 customers in Ledyard, 6431 has no power.

And, precisely who is this mysterious Mr or Ms 6431? Were I he or she, I think I would sue.

NQ6U
08-28-2011, 01:59 PM
And, precisely who is this mysterious Mr or Ms 6431? Were I he or she, I think I would sue.

It's top secret. If he told you, he'd have to kill you.

W3MIV
08-28-2011, 02:01 PM
It's top secret. If he told you, he'd have to kill you.

I'm quite safe; I doubt he took the point.

NQ6U
08-28-2011, 02:05 PM
I'm quite safe; I doubt he took the point.

Probably didn't even notice the whoosh as it went right over his head.

N1LAF
08-28-2011, 02:06 PM
The count is up to 6433 with no power, 98%.

(snarky comments ignored...)

W4GPL
08-28-2011, 02:17 PM
(snarky comments ignored...)Not so much.

N1LAF
08-28-2011, 02:19 PM
Not so much.

More accurately, not answering to snarky comments (exception on this one though)
;)

N1LAF
08-28-2011, 02:38 PM
Irene leaves few scars in New York

By John Gapper in New York

Hurricane Irene had threatened New York City but, in the end, the city escaped the worst.

After days of dire warnings from Mayor Michael Bloomberg and cable news channels about the first hurricane since the mid-1990s seriously to menace New York, Irene weakened sufficiently by the time it arrived along the east coast that disaster was averted.

Amid the relief, there were questions about whether the mayor and the city’s authorities had over-reacted. Many people had stocked drinking water, candles and batteries in case they were stranded, and Mr Bloomberg mandatory evacuation of 370,000 people in some low-lying areas.

“Ultimately, we were unwilling to risk the life of a single New Yorker,” said Mr Bloomberg, when asked whether he had been too alarmist. “The bottom line is that we would make the same decisions again without hesitation...It could have been a lot worse than this.”
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f40723c8-d196-11e0-89c0-00144feab49a.html#axzz1WLwqV98G

Preparation and planning is fine when faced with a hurricane of cat 3 that could go to cat 4. It is the responsible thing to do. But when it comes ashore as cat 1 in North Carolina, you know you will get a cat 1 hurricane or less in the north east. When you have this event, time to back down from the cautious engine in cat 3 preparation. Nothing wrong with stepping down the weather warnings and evacuations. Friday we heard forecasters say if the storm takes the western track, it is the worst case. Guess what, it did take the western track.

Bloomberg is an alarmist, and a potential control freak. Taking his stand of not changing anything brings him discredit, someone who will not learn by experience, a tin ear. By staying with the alarmist action track, next time people will blow him off as hype, and that could be a problem if a real threatening storm came up the coast, with people saying yeah, yeah, we heard this before.

What should we do the next time?

How about using lessons learned - Baseline this storm. This time, we had a large hurricane of cat 1 coming up the west side over New York, we know what the effects are, record it, file it, so the next time if a storm of this magnitude or less comes up the coast, government can respond in an intelligent and responsible matter, with knowing what to do for this kind of storm.

Can't we do this for other storms?

Can government learn?

KC2UGV
08-28-2011, 03:00 PM
Paul, I'd rather evac the city for no good reason, than to wait until it's too late, and have thousands die.

Evac'ing just takes time and money. Not doing so, and having to have to costs lives.

On the other note, here in WNY we are "in the hurricane", but all we got are clouds and gusty winds (Like 20mph or so)... It's cold though today.

W4GPL
08-28-2011, 03:06 PM
Paul, I'd rather evac the city for no good reason, than to wait until it's too late, and have thousands die.

Evac'ing just takes time and money. Not doing so, and having to have to costs lives.

On the other note, here in WNY we are "in the hurricane", but all we got are clouds and gusty winds (Like 20mph or so)... It's cold though today.Don't feed the troll. He'd be complaining one way or another. If they didn't evacuate and people died, he'd be levying blame in the same way. Boring. Zzz. Next?

W5RB
08-28-2011, 03:10 PM
Bloomberg didn't want to look like Ray Nagin , and I don't blame him . Bullying building owners into turning off the elevators was asinine , though .

KG4CGC
08-28-2011, 03:28 PM
Hugo.
Nuff said.

n2ize
08-28-2011, 03:52 PM
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f40723c8-d196-11e0-89c0-00144feab49a.html#axzz1WLwqV98G

Preparation and planning is fine when faced with a hurricane of cat 3 that could go to cat 4. It is the responsible thing to do. But when it comes ashore as cat 1 in North Carolina, you know you will get a cat 1 hurricane or less in the north east. When you have this event, time to back down from the cautious engine in cat 3 preparation. Nothing wrong with stepping down the weather warnings and evacuations. Friday we heard forecasters say if the storm takes the western track, it is the worst case. Guess what, it did take the western track.

Bloomberg is an alarmist, and a potential control freak. Taking his stand of not changing anything brings him discredit, someone who will not learn by experience, a tin ear. By staying with the alarmist action track, next time people will blow him off as hype, and that could be a problem if a real threatening storm came up the coast, with people saying yeah, yeah, we heard this before.

What should we do the next time?

How about using lessons learned - Baseline this storm. This time, we had a large hurricane of cat 1 coming up the west side over New York, we know what the effects are, record it, file it, so the next time if a storm of this magnitude or less comes up the coast, government can respond in an intelligent and responsible matter, with knowing what to do for this kind of storm.

Can't we do this for other storms?

Can government learn?

There are two sides to the coin. On one hand I do think there was a over reaction. On the other hand sometimes it takes an over reaction to get thick headed people to be careful and take precautions and not do stupid things.

I do think the precaution of shutting down the mass transit was smart. It was a weekend, a storm approaching and, by protecting your mass transit system you are more likely to be able to bring it back in operation sooner when its needed... on the next morning rush when people have to get to work.

Perhaps Bloomberg over reacted but it seems like things worked out well thus far. I guess this will give him another A+ on the scoreboard.

And trust me. I am no fan of Bloomberg. He shouldn't even be mayor. He is a 3 term mayor in a two term only job.

n2ize
08-28-2011, 03:57 PM
Bloomberg didn't want to look like Ray Nagin , and I don't blame him . Bullying building owners into turning off the elevators was asinine , though .

Shutting off elevators is just plain stupid. What if there is a fire or what if a handicapped person needs to get out.

Hey, those west winds you mentioned are hitting us now. No rain but overcast with some hard westerly gusts. Probably the strongest gusts of the hurricane so far in this area. I got some photo's of the local flooding on the highway. If they came out ok I'll post em.

BTW heard a helicopter and a jet pass by. Seems like aviators are taking back into the air.

NQ6U
08-28-2011, 04:31 PM
heard a helicopter[...] pass by.

Probably Hajji Rudi. Was it pink?

n2ize
08-28-2011, 05:08 PM
Probably Hajji Rudi. Was it pink?

hello
Didn't get a good look. Next time I'll check for an APU. :mrgreen:

KG4CGC
08-28-2011, 05:12 PM
hello
Didn't get a good look. Next time I'll check for an APU. :mrgreen:
Don't forget the cow in a sling strapped under the helo.

NA4BH
08-28-2011, 05:50 PM
]Shutting off elevators is just plain stupid. What if there is a fire [/B]or what if a handicapped person needs to get out.

Hey, those west winds you mentioned are hitting us now. No rain but overcast with some hard westerly gusts. Probably the strongest gusts of the hurricane so far in this area. I got some photo's of the local flooding on the highway. If they came out ok I'll post em.

BTW heard a helicopter and a jet pass by. Seems like aviators are taking back into the air.

Isn't the elevator rule during a fire, UMMMM, don't use them?

N1LAF
08-28-2011, 06:39 PM

On the other note, here in WNY we are "in the hurricane", but all we got are clouds and gusty winds (Like 20mph or so)... It's cold though today.

Maybe, but if too many people were evacuated that rationalizes that it was an overreaction and no real reason to be evacuated (after the fact), that they may refuse to do so when the reason to evacuate is warranted. They may say, here we go again, I refuse to play. Net result may be worse than not overreact. I think in this case, as well as others in the past, a cat 1 going inland in NC will be a cat 1 or less going up the coast.

I think this storm is an excellent one to baseline/benchmark.

KG4CGC
08-28-2011, 06:44 PM
Maybe, but if too many people were evacuated that rationalizes that it was an overreaction and no real reason to be evacuated (after the fact), that they may refuse to do so when the reason to evacuate is warranted. They may say, here we go again, I refuse to play. Net result may be worse than not overreact. I think in this case, as well as others in the past, a cat 1 going inland in NC will be a cat 1 or less going up the coast.

I think this storm is an excellent one to baseline/benchmark.WRONG!
Sorry Paul.
Remember Hugo.

KG4CGC
08-28-2011, 06:45 PM
http://www.stormpulse.com/hurricane-hugo-1989
http://www.tropicalweather.net/hurricane_hugo_facts.htm (http://www.stormpulse.com/hurricane-hugo-1989)

N1LAF
08-28-2011, 06:53 PM
WRONG!
Sorry Paul.
Remember Hugo.

I would also baseline/benchmark Hugo. Thing to remember that you can have multiple models/plans/procedures to those that most closely resemble the oncoming event. Since Hugo was much different than Irene, it has it's own benchmark/baseline. Irene would be good for the case I outlined earlier, a cat 1 storm taking the worst case path that would have the most effect, with the slow speed that makes the storm worst case for it's category. If we had a cat 3 in two weeks, we would have a baseline for cat 3 storm...

Treat storms like projects (project management).

KG4CGC
08-28-2011, 07:06 PM
I think your whole baseline benchmark argument is fallacious at best.

N1LAF
08-28-2011, 07:07 PM
I think your whole baseline benchmark argument is fallacious at best.

Can you explain why?

KG4CGC
08-28-2011, 07:11 PM
Can you explain why?
No matter what you think you can do with all the plotting and graphing, you can't predict what a storm will do, especially storms the size of a hurricane.
Now you explain how you can predict what one storm to another will do once it is in play near the coast.

NQ6U
08-28-2011, 07:18 PM
Now you explain how you can predict what one storm to another will do once it is in play near the coast.

Being in possession of an MBA, Paul feels that we should let market forces determine what we should do in response to hurricanes and other natural disasters.

N1LAF
08-28-2011, 07:25 PM
No matter what you think you can do with all the plotting and graphing, you can't predict what a storm will do, especially storms the size of a hurricane.

And you are right, that each storm is unique, and there are other variables. The point of baseline/benchmark is to provide better estimation/prediction on what will happen. When a politician says "we need to evacuate this community... because in similar storm this (event happening)", the politician has a basis for making recommendations and plan of actions.

When it comes to forecasting tracks, the forecasters did a good job, and they had basis for their predictions, by the magnitude and location of high pressure ridges and low pressure troughs. Perfect, no, can't expect perfect, but they have the basis which gives confidence in the predictions.

N1LAF
08-28-2011, 07:32 PM
Being in possession of an MBA, Paul feels that we should let market forces determine what we should do in response to hurricanes and other natural disasters.

HA!

Funny.

But this is more from project management than MBA.

KG4CGC
08-28-2011, 07:37 PM
And you are right, that each storm is unique, and there are other variables. The point of baseline/benchmark is to provide better estimation/prediction on what will happen. When a politician says "we need to evacuate this community... because in similar storm this (event happening)", the politician has a basis for making recommendations and plan of actions.

When it comes to forecasting tracks, the forecasters did a good job, and they had basis for their predictions, by the magnitude and location of high pressure ridges and low pressure troughs. Perfect, no, can't expect perfect, but they have the basis which gives confidence in the predictions.I guess you think that meteorologists do not already track all of the variables. They do and they'll all tell you, "You don't know what it will do. That's Mother Nature. She calls the shots. Two identical storms can take radically different actions."

n2ize
08-28-2011, 07:50 PM
Isn't the elevator rule during a fire, UMMMM, don't use them?

In tall buildings firemen use them to reach people who need medical help, to investigate smoke conditions, and for the infirm to get out ASAP.

n2ize
08-28-2011, 07:55 PM
Still getting strong westerly wind gusts here. From 23 - 45 mph, This storm packed a wallop. Still, I've seen worst. The December 1992 Nor'easter and the more recent 2010 Nor'easter clobbered us harder and did more damage.

KC2UGV
08-28-2011, 08:26 PM
I would also baseline/benchmark Hugo. Thing to remember that you can have multiple models/plans/procedures to those that most closely resemble the oncoming event. Since Hugo was much different than Irene, it has it's own benchmark/baseline. Irene would be good for the case I outlined earlier, a cat 1 storm taking the worst case path that would have the most effect, with the slow speed that makes the storm worst case for it's category. If we had a cat 3 in two weeks, we would have a baseline for cat 3 storm...

Treat storms like projects (project management).

Paul, you said we can't trust climatologist models, so how are we supposed to baseline and model anything? What does Glen Beck have to say about it?

KC2UGV
08-28-2011, 08:27 PM
HA!

Funny.

But this is more from project management than MBA.

Let me fill you in on a secret Paul: Project Management is all about minimizing expenses, while maximizing profits. As much as the right-wing nutz would like, government is NOT a corporation. We did not charter a corporate entity, but a government.

N1LAF
08-28-2011, 08:52 PM
Let me fill you in on a secret Paul: Project Management is all about minimizing expenses, while maximizing profits. As much as the right-wing nutz would like, government is NOT a corporation. We did not charter a corporate entity, but a government.

Sorry Corey, but you are wrong again, just like you were with the "Cannot give gifts" to the US Treasury.

From the PMBOK: Project management is the application of knowledge, skills, tools, and techniques to project activities to meet the project requirements.

The tools and techniques used in project management can be applied to other processes, so don't be so limiting.

By the way, the government is into Project Management, since the government has projects.

For example using WBS: http://www.acq.osd.mil/pm/currentpolicy/wbs/MIL_HDBK-881A/MILHDBK881A/WebHelp3/MIL-HDBK-881A%20FOR%20PUBLICATION%20FINAL%2009AUG05.pdf

The U.S. government is pushing the certification as well, strongly encouraging (in some cases, requiring) government employees and contractors to hold the certificate as well. Many government bids now require that the Project Manager hold the PMP certificate in order to bid on a project.
http://www.globalknowledge.com/training/generic.asp?pageid=2057&country=United+States

KC2UGV
08-28-2011, 08:54 PM
Sorry Corey, but you are wrong again, just like you were with the "Cannot give gifts" to the US Treasury.

From the PMBOK: Project management is the application of knowledge, skills, tools, and techniques to project activities to meet the project requirements.

The tools and techniques used in project management can be applied to other processes, so don't be so limiting.

By the way, the government is into Project Management, since the government has projects.

For example using WBS: http://www.acq.osd.mil/pm/currentpolicy/wbs/MIL_HDBK-881A/MILHDBK881A/WebHelp3/MIL-HDBK-881A FOR PUBLICATION FINAL 09AUG05.pdf

The U.S. government is pushing the certification as well, strongly encouraging (in some cases, requiring) government employees and contractors to hold the certificate as well. Many government bids now require that the Project Manager hold the PMP certificate in order to bid on a project.
http://www.globalknowledge.com/training/generic.asp?pageid=2057&country=United+States

Paul, the whole point of project management is to reduce costs, ensuring projects are completed under budget. Guess what? Our government is not solely concerned about budgets, but rather ensuring the welfare of the citizens.

One can not apply Project Management principles to a question of evacuating a city or not. How to evac? Maybe. But even then, the only constraint with an evac is time, and not costs.

Maybe, the notion of the government caring about PMP is indicative of the problem of thinking about government as a business. The government is not, nor was ever to be considered a business.

N1LAF
08-28-2011, 08:54 PM
Paul, you said we can't trust climatologist models, so how are we supposed to baseline and model anything? What does Glen Beck have to say about it?

No, I did not say that. I said, in different words, that you cannot depend on GWA climatologist models, since they have made up their minds and cannot be objective. Besides, there is a difference between climatologists and meteorologists, you must know this, but must have forgotten...

KC2UGV
08-28-2011, 08:56 PM
No, I did not say that. I said, in different words, that you cannot depend on GWA climatologist models, since they have made up their minds and cannot be objective. Besides, there is a difference between climatologists and meteorologists, you must know this, but must have forgotten...

GWA climate models are THE climate models. Global warming is an academic consensus view. Meteorologists get their models from climatologist.

N1LAF
08-28-2011, 09:00 PM
Paul, the whole point of project management is to reduce costs, ensuring projects are completed under budget. Guess what? Our government is not solely concerned about budgets, but rather ensuring the welfare of the citizens.

One can not apply Project Management principles to a question of evacuating a city or not. How to evac? Maybe. But even then, the only constraint with an evac is time, and not costs.

Maybe, the notion of the government caring about PMP is indicative of the problem of thinking about government as a business. The government is not, nor was ever to be considered a business.

You are wrong wrong wrong...

Project management is to deliver a product, service, or result, as defined in the project charter, and project scope, with quality, on budget and on schedule. Project Management uses tools and techniques to perform processes to meet project objectives.

The tools and techniques used is not specific to project management. Just like a wrench is not specific to a car repair garage.

rot
08-28-2011, 09:01 PM
Lulz-o-friggen-rama....

N1LAF
08-28-2011, 09:04 PM

Your thinking is wrong because you are viewing the government as a seller, not a buyer. The government, you would think it would be concerned about costs and expenditures, knows that properly managed projects reduces costs, would be interested in project management, and even require it, especially in Cost plus Fee type contracts.

KC2UGV
You are wrong wrong wrong...

Project management is to deliver a product, service, or result, as defined in the project charter, and project scope, with quality, on budget and on schedule. Project Management uses tools and techniques to perform processes to meet project objectives.

The tools and techniques used is not specific to project management. Just like a wrench is not specific to a car repair garage.

And none of the constraints are "Citizen's Welfare" in the constraint triangle...

KC2UGV
Your thinking is wrong because you are viewing the government as a seller, not a buyer. The government, you would think it would be concerned about costs and expenditures, knows that properly managed projects reduces costs, would be interested in project management, and even require it, especially in Cost plus Fee type contracts.

The government is neither a seller or buyer. A government is NOT a business. That is your major fault in logic.

ab1ga
08-28-2011, 09:05 PM

Existing models, such as the storm track models we've recently seen on TV, attempt to do just that. What I found interesting was that so many of the different models were in rough agreement. I suspect that the storm track is heavily dependent on storm characteristics, interacting large-scale weather patterns, and terrain, so the level of sophistication is almost there now. The missing part is how the storm-associated weather affects infrastructure such as road capacity, power outages, etc, and it seems that if you have enough money, you can get IBM to help you with that part as well:

http://news.yahoo.com/ibm-supercomputer-model-forecasts-hurricane-irenes-impact-141206187.html

N1LAF
08-28-2011, 09:08 PM
The government is neither a seller or buyer. A government is NOT a business. That is your major fault in logic.

Government purchases weapons systems - government is a buyer.

Government purchases oil to store in lime caverns - government is a buyer

Government purchases office supplies and computers - government is a buyer

KC2UGV
08-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Government purchases weapons systems - government is a buyer.

Government purchases oil to store in lime caverns - government is a buyer

Government purchases office supplies and computers - government is a buyer

Govermnent sells military protection - Government is a seller
Government sells fire protection - Government is a seller
Government sells financial protection - Governement is a seller

Government is government. NOT A BUSINESS. As soon as you right wing nutz figure that out, things will start to make sense to you guys.

N1LAF
08-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Govermnent sells military protection - Government is a seller
Government sells fire protection - Government is a seller
Government sells financial protection - Governement is a seller

Government is government. NOT A BUSINESS. As soon as you right wing nutz figure that out, things will start to make sense to you guys.

Can you point to any post I made that states the 'government is a business'?

Until you find such a thing... shut up! [Sarcasm]
;)

The government can behave/have characteristics of a not-for-profit business. [For Corey] Saying behave like or have characteristics is not saying it is a business.

NQ6U
08-28-2011, 09:28 PM
The primary goal of a business is to make a profit and return value to it's shareholders; a government's primary goal is the welfare of it's citizens. That alone is reason enough to demonstrate the fallacy of those who claim government should be run as a business.

KC2UGV
08-28-2011, 09:35 PM
Can you point to any post I made that states the 'government is a business'?

Until you find such a thing... shut up! [Sarcasm]
;)

The government can behave/have characteristics of a not-for-profit business. [For Corey] Saying behave like or have characteristics is not saying it is a business.

No, the government can not, nor should, pretend to act like any sort of business. It isn't one. And, since it's not a business of any color, it doesn't, nor should, act like a business. To include worrying about applying fucking PMBOK to a decision to evac citizens or not.

See, you're stuck in this "Run government like a business" mentality that has us completely fucked as a nation.

N1LAF
08-28-2011, 09:44 PM
No, the government can not, nor should, pretend to act like any sort of business. It isn't one. And, since it's not a business of any color, it doesn't, nor should, act like a business. To include worrying about applying fucking PMBOK to a decision to evac citizens or not.

See, you're stuck in this "Run government like a business" mentality that has us completely fucked as a nation.

Man, you have been wrong on everything tonight. I NEVER said government should run like a business.

Also, running a business is not the same as running a project, even though businesses have projects. Two different roles.

KC2UGV
08-28-2011, 09:47 PM
Man, you have been wrong on everything tonight. I NEVER said government should run like a business.

Yes, you did. You stated that we should apply PMBOK to decisions to evac or not....

Also, running a business is not the same as running a project, even though businesses have projects. Two different roles.

Yes, running a project is a concept inherent in running a business. Without businesses, we would have no need for "projects". "Projects" are a way to capture profits, by saving money and time in production.

Wow, you need to go and re-study the PMBOK here guy... You're either playing stupid, or just naive as a new PMP.

N1LAF
08-28-2011, 09:48 PM
The primary goal of a business is to make a profit and return value to it's shareholders; a government's primary goal is the welfare of it's citizens. That alone is reason enough to demonstrate the fallacy of those who claim government should be run as a business.

Who here is claiming that?

One little nit... The primary goal of a business is to make a profit, and if it offers public stock, then it has obligations to return profit to the shareholders. Rules are different for privately trading companies, and companies without stock (like most LLC's).

Governments primary responsibility is to promote and protect the general welfare.

N1LAF
08-28-2011, 09:50 PM
Yes, you did. You stated that we should apply PMBOK to decisions to evac or not....

No, I did not. Benchmarking/baselining has been around (as a tool and technique) far before there was ever a PMBOK, PMI, or PMP

KC2UGV
08-28-2011, 09:51 PM
Governments primary responsibility is to promote and protect the general welfare.

And, nowhere in the PMBOK triangle of constraints is "General Welfare of Citizens", so the PMBOK does NOT apply to government affairs, nor should it ever, really.

KC2UGV
08-28-2011, 09:53 PM
No, I did not. Benchmarking/baselining has been around (as a tool and technique) far before there was ever a PMBOK, PMI, or PMP

And, baselining has already been done, and you've eschewed that, because you don't trust the models that climatologist give to the meteorologists. And, "baselining" when it comes to human lives leads to a notion of "acceptable human losses"... Which, in the decision to evac or not should never come into play. Erring on the side of caution always should.

ab1ga
08-28-2011, 09:55 PM
My but this thread doth romp about!

1. Government and the private sector have different objectives, so it's not unusual for them to have different priorities. Running government "as a business" would mean using private sector priorities to make government decisions, perhaps an unadvisable strategy.

2. That being said, the fact that the two sectors do not have identical priorities does not mean that the priority sets are mutually exclusive, i.e. a good idea for business is not necessarily a bad idea for government, and vice versa. Each idea needs to be assessed individually in the application context.

3. Both the public and private sector engage in similar economic activities such as buying, selling, leasing, operating a facility, planning and executing projects, etc. While the ultimate goal of each activity may be different between the two sets, this does not mean that both sectors cannot or should not pursue them in a similar fashion. Nor should either sector be denied the use of processes and tools which may help them reach their goals, regardless of the tools' origin.

4. There can be no objection to government performing its duties in as cost-effective a manner as possible, as wasteful spending is an opportunity cost which prevents government from offering new or increased levels of service to the citizenry, including those who may be in dire need of additional help. Keeping an eye on costs is not running government like a business, but running government like a competent human being.

N1LAF
08-28-2011, 09:58 PM
Yes, running a project is a concept inherent in running a business. Without businesses, we would have no need for "projects". "Projects" are a way to capture profits, by saving money and time in production.

Wow, you need to go and re-study the PMBOK here guy... You're either playing stupid, or just naive as a new PMP.

Hey, I cannot help your thick-headedness and ignorance. I'll be the first to say that I don't have all the answers, and always learning. Projects are not always profit centers. A project is formed to create Gizmo. When Gizmo has been developed, it is handed over to operations, which will product Gizmos for profit. Projects can be largely R&D efforts in product development.

KC2UGV
08-28-2011, 10:00 PM
Hey, I cannot help your thick-headedness and ignorance. I'll be the first to say that I don't have all the answers, and always learning. Projects are not always profit centers. A project is formed to create Gizmo. When Gizmo has been developed, it is handed over to operations, which will product Gizmos for profit. Projects can be largely R&D efforts in product development.

Projects better damned not be cost centers! How do you think a project would ever pass governance is if never had an ROI!?!?!

At least you are admitting you don't have all the answers, and are always learning. It's the same realization I made that changed my opinion on unions.

N1LAF
08-28-2011, 10:03 PM
My but this thread doth romp about!

1. Government and the private sector have different objectives, so it's not unusual for them to have different priorities. Running government "as a business" would mean using private sector priorities to make government decisions, perhaps an unadvisable strategy.

2. That being said, the fact that the two sectors do not have identical priorities does not mean that the priority sets are mutually exclusive, i.e. a good idea for business is not necessarily a bad idea for government, and vice versa. Each idea needs to be assessed individually in the application context.

3. Both the public and private sector engage in similar economic activities such as buying, selling, leasing, operating a facility, planning and executing projects, etc. While the ultimate goal of each activity may be different between the two sets, this does not mean that both sectors cannot or should not pursue them in a similar fashion. Nor should either sector be denied the use of processes and tools which may help them reach their goals, regardless of the tools' origin.

4. There can be no objection to government performing its duties in as cost-effective a manner as possible, as wasteful spending is an opportunity cost which prevents government from offering new or increased levels of service to the citizenry, including those who may be in dire need of additional help. Keeping an eye on costs is not running government like a business, but running government like a competent human being.

Thanks Dale, obviously you get it, and I agree with your post here, but what can we do to help and correct Corey's thinking and understanding?

The Government sees project management processes as means to improve quality and bring cost down. It is good that it has their attention.

KC2UGV
08-28-2011, 10:05 PM
Thanks Dale, obviously you get it, and I agree with your post here, but what can we do to help and correct Corey's thinking and understanding?

The Government sees project management processes as means to improve quality and bring cost down. It is good that it has their attention.

See, I see application of business principles to an entity completely NOT A BUSINESS akin to applying swimming principles to running. Or, rowing principles to cycling. Completely different activities.

Bringing costs down is not the inherent goal of government, but rather care of it's citizenry.

N1LAF
08-28-2011, 10:07 PM
Corey, you have a broken link for your website on Linkedin...

Still broken.... http://coreyreichle.fi.st/ - Server not found....

N1LAF
08-28-2011, 10:13 PM
See, I see application of business principles to an entity completely NOT A BUSINESS akin to applying swimming principles to running. Or, rowing principles to cycling. Completely different activities.

Bringing costs down is not the inherent goal of government, but rather care of it's citizenry.

Not bringing down costs is one of the things that is bankrupting the country. Should the government be concerned with costs? How about $16,000 toilet seats on aircraft? Should we care about those bigger cost items? Ever hear about government cost reduction programs? Didn't? They do exist.

Suppose a tool/technique in stretching and muscle building was used for both the runner and the swimmer, since both uses muscles for these tasks - same tools/techniques for different activities.....

KG4CGC
08-28-2011, 10:18 PM
Not bringing down costs is one of the things that is bankrupting the country.
I think you meant to say, Iraq, Afghanistan and our other dalliances as well as the lack of taxes to the top 2%.

N1LAF
08-28-2011, 10:21 PM
I think you meant to say, Iraq, Afghanistan and our other dalliances as well as the lack of taxes to the top 2%.

How about the keeping us in Afghanistan, tangling with Libya, and buddying around with GE-Pay-No-US-Taxes Immelt....

GITMO still open?!?!?
;)

KG4CGC
08-28-2011, 10:22 PM
How about the keeping us in Afghanistan, tangling with Libya, and buddying around with GE-Pay-No-US-Taxes Immelt....

GITMO still open?!?!?You should be happy Gitmo is still open.
Let's just merge this thread with the one about unions not being happy since it's turned into a shit thread now.

N1LAF
08-28-2011, 10:25 PM
You should be happy Gitmo is still open.

Actually, I am. I'd rather keep those who are rabid in wanting US people dead, there, not here.

KG4CGC
08-28-2011, 10:28 PM
Actually, I am. I'd rather keep those who are rabid in wanting US people dead, there, not here.
But since Obama didn't close it after he said he would, you would use that in a discussion just to make a non point. deleted
Right now though, this is a shit thread and should be merged with the thread about unions not being happy.

rot
08-29-2011, 02:04 AM
But since Obama didn't close it after he said he would, you would use that in a discussion just to make a non point. deleted
Right now though, this is a shit thread and should be merged with the thread about unions not being happy.
Well it was a nice touch there in the start man. Lots of well wishin and recollectin and stuff. I glad nobody (well I hope nobody) Islandwise got serious hosed as she trodded by. Anyhoo...onward through the fog.
rot

W3MIV
08-29-2011, 06:01 AM
Well it was a nice touch there in the start man. Lots of well wishin and recollectin and stuff. I glad nobody (well I hope nobody) Islandwise got serious hosed as she trodded by. Anyhoo...onward through the fog.
rot

Score for this post: Very high. TU, Terry.

ki4itv
08-29-2011, 06:22 AM
Check your shoes friends, smells like somebody stepped in a pile of RW bullshit.

ki4itv
08-29-2011, 06:25 AM
I truly hope all our folks here made it through the storm with only minor annoyances.

Anybody heard from Luke yet?

KC2UGV
08-29-2011, 09:14 AM
Not bringing down costs is one of the things that is bankrupting the country. Should the government be concerned with costs? How about $16,000 toilet seats on aircraft? Should we care about those bigger cost items? Ever hear about government cost reduction programs? Didn't? They do exist.

Suppose a tool/technique in stretching and muscle building was used for both the runner and the swimmer, since both uses muscles for these tasks - same tools/techniques for different activities.....

WRONG.

Cutting revenues is what is bankrupting our nation. In reality, the government programs railed against tend to be the most efficient programs out there. Take Medicaid, which runs at a 6% overhead, compared to a private insurance which runs around 23% overhead.

And, one uses different fitness routines for swimmers and runners. You can't take a runner's fitness routine, and expect to become a great swimmer from it.

ad4mg
08-29-2011, 11:17 AM
I truly hope all our folks here made it through the storm with only minor annoyances.

Anybody heard from Luke yet?
Well, I didn't want any of that poo to hit me by accident, so I've been just reading the thread.

Rough in my neck of the woods. I'm a little farther east and south of Richmond than Trey, right up against the airport. One 75' poplar tree lying 3' from the house, root ball was over 8' in diameter. Spent the day yesterday on cleanup, and hooking up the shiny, new 15,000 watt generator. Still off the grid both at work and at home. Expect power back at work later today, at home, before Thanksgiving.

If I didn't do so much work for them, I'd have some rather unkind words for Dominion Virginia Power ...

KG4CGC
08-29-2011, 11:28 AM
Glad to hear you're OK and that the tree, missed.

NQ6U
08-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Glad to hear you're OK and that the tree, missed.

Roger that. And three feet is way too close for comfort.

W3MIV
08-29-2011, 11:34 AM
Glad to hear you're safe, Luke.

NA4BH
08-29-2011, 11:54 AM
It looks like the next one that's cooking in the Atlantic is gonna be a doozy.

VE7DCW
08-29-2011, 11:58 AM

I thought the storms are usually hurricanes?? 8) :lol:

W3WN
08-29-2011, 12:47 PM
Not bringing down costs is one of the things that is bankrupting the country. Should the government be concerned with costs? How about $16,000 toilet seats on aircraft? < snip >I thought that was the CIA's way of hiding the Area 51 budget?

W3WN
08-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Well, I didn't want any of that poo to hit me by accident, so I've been just reading the thread.

Rough in my neck of the woods. I'm a little farther east and south of Richmond than Trey, right up against the airport. One 75' poplar tree lying 3' from the house, root ball was over 8' in diameter. Spent the day yesterday on cleanup, and hooking up the shiny, new 15,000 watt generator. Still off the grid both at work and at home. Expect power back at work later today, at home, before Thanksgiving.

If I didn't do so much work for them, I'd have some rather unkind words for Dominion Virginia Power ...Luke, glad to hear that you're still in one piece, undamaged. And so is your house.

News this morning was reporing four hurricane related fatalities, out in the Philly area. Two involved a tree landing on someone's house, the other two involved bad road conditions causing someone to collide with a tree. Trees are sure getting a bad rap these days...

We spoke with my Mom yesterday. She's a little annoyed that she's getting phone calls from everyone -- us, my brother in London, my aunt in Chicago -- just because she lives in West Trenton, and they had a little rain. Well, when you're 83, you can get away with being annoyed because people are concerned about you, especially with the news reports of The Mother Of All Hurricanes (until the next big one) allegedly hits your area.

KC2UGV
08-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Good news Luke :-D

NQ6U
08-29-2011, 03:26 PM

Take it up with God or Michelle Bachmann.

W5RB
08-29-2011, 03:33 PM
Luke, glad to hear that you're still in one piece, undamaged. And so is your house.

News this morning was reporing four hurricane related fatalities, out in the Philly area. Two involved a tree landing on someone's house, the other two involved bad road conditions causing someone to collide with a tree. Trees are sure getting a bad rap these days...

We spoke with my Mom yesterday. She's a little annoyed that she's getting phone calls from everyone -- us, my brother in London, my aunt in Chicago -- just because she lives in West Trenton, and they had a little rain. Well, when you're 83, you can get away with being annoyed because people are concerned about you, especially with the news reports of The Mother Of All Hurricanes (until the next big one) allegedly hits your area.

Caution is still warranted . Toll is around 20 so far , and I swear it will double from flood casualties and stuff that should be avoidable .

kb2vxa
08-29-2011, 04:13 PM
Well, the Island survived and so did I relatively undamaged. Being my part of town was under mandatory evacuation order I weathered out the storm at a friend's house farther inland prepared for the worst and hoping for the best. It turned out to be no big deal, we didn't need flashlights or candles nor the 30gal of water and returned Sunday evening to find minimal wind damage to the town (none to the structure) and the storm surge thankfully stopped 2 blocks away. That's my 2c worth, no, make that 3c when one considers this benny repellant was just a bit of overkill.

RATS! Now why didn't I think of this earlier???

ab1ga
08-29-2011, 04:53 PM
Worst thing that happened was seeing my state's governor wearing one of those Brooks Brothers work shirts during a press conference.
Probably purchased new just for the occasion.

KG4CGC
08-29-2011, 05:20 PM
I'm glad everyone came out of this in one piece, relatively speaking.