PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Question

K7SGJ
08-25-2011, 09:01 AM
Anybody have any experience with the MAME gaming system? My wife wanted a Centipede cocktail table, but it looks like there are a lot of plans to build a computer based gaming system that will run most all of the original arcade games. Apparently, all one needs is the MAME emulator and the Roms (or contents thereof) and the controllers. It looks like designing the controllers will be the most challenging as they can be as simple or complex as you want. The cabinet doesn't look to bad, just time consuming. Considering a used cocktail gaming table system runs around $1.5K DOC, and new multi game units around 3K, DIY is looking better, plus you can build what you want and not have to settle for something less.

KC2UGV
08-25-2011, 09:11 AM
You can use USB game controlllers with the games, after mapping the controls properly.

MAME is very flexible, and there are a couple of derivative packages customized for particular systems as well. MAME32 if it's a winderz machine.

KG4CGC
08-25-2011, 02:58 PM
I've seen table top Ms. Pacman back in the day. I wonder if they did the same for Centipede? You could look it up and see if they made it, then you could travel about and "pick" it. It would give you an excuse to get out of the house and do a little roving between "picks." Saw table top Ms. Pacman recently get "picked" for $400.

WØTKX
08-28-2011, 01:57 AM
Nice emulator... use a smaller 16:9 LCD screen under the glass, run in "portrait layout".

Make mine Galaga! Guys that make keys might be able to make a controller.

rot
08-28-2011, 02:19 AM
Asteroids baby Asteroids. The simple ship busting 'em down one. Spent a many a quarter(s) on that one. Would love to find an all stand up machine, but a sim would do. Do they have that one anywhere??
rot

K7SGJ
08-28-2011, 09:51 AM
Asteroids baby Asteroids. The simple ship busting 'em down one. Spent a many a quarter(s) on that one. Would love to find an all stand up machine, but a sim would do. Do they have that one anywhere??
rot

There are plans online to DIY, or already built are available, too. The built are kinda pricey. I have also been looking on Craigslist, locally and afar, and they are out there, also.

WØTKX
08-28-2011, 03:36 PM
Asteroids was fun, but the "standard speed" got a little too easy. Carefully crash your ships at the end, and the high score of 99990 over and over fills the top score screen with "your" initials. The "tweaked" sped up versions were harder, especially if the "little bastid'" ship got the mod for a tighter aiming "window" to shoot at your ships. Lulz.