PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs is stepping down

K7SGJ
08-24-2011, 07:23 PM
It doesn't say why he resigned as CEO, but I would imagine it is health related. Although I'm not a fan or user of Apple products, I wish hime well.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/aug/25/steve-jobs-resigns-apple-ceo

WØTKX
08-24-2011, 07:30 PM
Yea. Might be time to buy some Apple stock.

NQ6U
08-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Yea. Might be time to buy some Apple stock.

You could be right, it might be a good time for a bargain; AAPL dropped 5% in after-hours trading after the announcement. Once people realize that the new CEO, Tim Cook, is the same guy who's been running the show at Apple since January anyhow, it will probably go back up—especially since Jobs is going to stay on as Chairman of the BoD.

KC2UGV
08-25-2011, 08:37 AM
Maybe the Cult of Steve will finally die the death it's been needing for some time now. One can hope.

KG4CGC
08-25-2011, 03:24 PM
Maybe the Cult of Steve will finally die the death it's been needing for some time now. One can hope.Nah, we need to keep them around lest ye price of PC shoot up.

kb2vxa
08-25-2011, 03:59 PM
Where is Woz now that Jablka needs him?

NQ6U
08-25-2011, 04:14 PM
Nah, we need to keep them around lest ye price of PC shoot up.

We need to keep them around for a lot more than that—more than any other company, Apple is the one that drives innovation in the world of consumer electronics and has been for years. It was competition from the Mac that prompted Microsoft to develop Windows; if it wasn't for Apple, PC users would likely still be working with the DOS CLI.

WØTKX
08-25-2011, 07:06 PM
edlin autoexec.bat

:snicker:

KC2UGV
08-25-2011, 08:01 PM
We need to keep them around for a lot more than that—more than any other company, Apple is the one that drives innovation in the world of consumer electronics and has been for years. It was competition from the Mac that prompted Microsoft to develop Windows; if it wasn't for Apple, PC users would likely still be working with the DOS CLI.

Um, Xerox PARC? W Windowing System? Tandy Deskmate?

All of these are predecessors to the Mac's GUI... The last two were already quite popular prior to the Mac GUI being released.

kf0rt
08-25-2011, 08:03 PM
edlin autoexec.bat

:snicker:

Total touche'...

W4GPL
08-25-2011, 08:38 PM
Woz is on Pierce Morgan's show tonight. What a friggin' waste of space.

NQ6U
08-25-2011, 11:51 PM
Um, Xerox PARC? W Windowing System? Tandy Deskmate?

All of these are predecessors to the Mac's GUI... The last two were already quite popular prior to the Mac GUI being released.

Xerox had no interest in marketing their GUI to consumers, that's why Apple licensed their technology. The Tandy Deskmate GUI layer wasn't released until November 1984, the Mac OS was released in January of that year. The W windowing system was pretty much developed around the same time frame as the Mac OS and only ran on Unix workstations, not consumer computers. So, in fact, the Mac was the first GUI OS aimed specifically at consumers, which is what forced Microsoft to develop Windows.

KC2UGV
08-26-2011, 05:59 AM
Xerox had no interest in marketing their GUI to consumers, that's why Apple licensed their technology. The Tandy Deskmate GUI layer wasn't released until November 1984, the Mac OS was released in January of that year. The W windowing system was pretty much developed around the same time frame as the Mac OS and only ran on Unix workstations, not consumer computers. So, in fact, the Mac was the first GUI OS aimed specifically at consumers, which is what forced Microsoft to develop Windows.

Deskmate was released a couple of months after Mac OS, which means they were all developed around the same time.

X Windows and Deskmate were much more popular at the outset than Mac OS was. Mac OS didn't get popular until Apple started landing school contracts, much much later.

The notion that Apple "innovates" is a crock. Why do you think Apple backed off of Sun with patent threats? Who do you think owned most of the patents on NeXT?

Deskmate is what forced Microsoft's hand, not Mac OS. Mac OS was only running on Apple computers. Deskmate was running on MS's home turf: The PC.

W4GPL
08-26-2011, 06:02 AM
Who cares? Steve Jobs will not be remembered for his Apple work in the early 1980's, but rather what he did around the turn of the century and for a decade after..

I have serious issues with Apple's corporate policies, but for better or worse, Steve Jobs was a pioneer in the smart phone/gadget world.

WØTKX
08-26-2011, 09:12 AM
Apple Lisa w/System 7 anyone?

The GEM Desktop?

device=qemm.sys

:mrgreen:

KC2UGV
08-26-2011, 09:15 AM
Who cares? Steve Jobs will not be remembered for his Apple work in the early 1980's, but rather what he did around the turn of the century and for a decade after..

I have serious issues with Apple's corporate policies, but for better or worse, Steve Jobs was a pioneer in the smart phone/gadget world.

Not really:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_Prada_(KE850)

T (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_Prada_(KE850))he Cult of Steve just bought it because Steve said to, not because it revolutionized anything.

W1GUH
08-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Not really:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_Prada_(KE850)

T (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_Prada_(KE850))he Cult of Steve just bought it because Steve said to, not because it revolutionized anything.

Love your words about the "Cult of Steve."

Now then...

Anybody who had an Amiga back in the day knows that there was a truly innovative home computer that was the FIRST to have a true multi-tasked system that was wide open to developers -- you could buy source code listings.

But....they couldn't market their way out of a wet paper sack. But imagine....they coulda had a lot of the market sewn up if the realized what they had. Meawhile, the Mac, that was way, way behind Amiga, proved that marketing beats technical innovation any day.

Sigh....

KC2UGV
08-26-2011, 12:59 PM
Love your words about the "Cult of Steve."

Now then...

Anybody who had an Amiga back in the day knows that there was a truly innovative home computer that was the FIRST to have a true multi-tasked system that was wide open to developers -- you could buy source code listings.

But....they couldn't market their way out of a wet paper sack. But imagine....they coulda had a lot of the market sewn up if the realized what they had. Meawhile, the Mac, that was way, way behind Amiga, proved that marketing beats technical innovation any day.

Sigh....

It's true, marketing is key to any new innovation. Steve knows how to build a cult, and make them buy whatever he says they need.

Take the iPhone. It was preceded by the LG Prada. The Prada sold pretty good. Nothing too exciting (1 million units sold in a month). Now, Steve comes along, copies the specs, the form factor, the GUI, and calls it an iPhone. Tells his cult they need it, and then they go and buy it.

Genius. L. Ron Hubbard said it, and it works,"Wanna make real money? Start a religion." Steve did that, and made it a marketing tool.

NQ6U
08-26-2011, 01:19 PM
ITake the iPhone. It was preceded by the LG Prada. The Prada sold pretty good. Nothing too exciting (1 million units sold in a month). Now, Steve comes along, copies the specs, the form factor, the GUI, and calls it an iPhone. Tells his cult they need it, and then they go and buy it.

Corey, if you don't like Apple or Steve Jobs that's certainly your right but you should at least get your facts straight. The LG Prada was announced in December 2006, the first iPhone in January 2007. Do you really think Apple managed to produce a copy that quickly?

KC2UGV
08-26-2011, 01:28 PM
Corey, if you don't like Apple or Steve Jobs that's certainly your right but you should at least get your facts straight. The LG Prada was announced in December 2006, the first iPhone in January 2007. Do you really think Apple managed to produce a copy that quickly?

Yes, in fact I do. Especially if one just goes to the hardware manufacturers, and says,"Let me get the plans to the LG Prada."

It's so easy, we have this less than a month after the iPhone 4 is released: http://gadgetsrepublic.com/gooapple-phone-now-available-for-pre-order

S (http://gadgetsrepublic.com/gooapple-phone-now-available-for-pre-order)o, yes, corporate espionage is alive and well.

So, it's not a matter of if I "like" him or not. Facts is facts. I think he's a smart guy, in fact. He was able to turn religion into a marketing tool for the masses, all without having a 501(c)3 charter.

W1GUH
08-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Woz is on Pierce Morgan's show tonight. What a friggin' waste of space.

Speaking of Woz, what's the skinny? I had been under the impression that Jobs screwed him over, then I read a bio and it sounded more like Woz did it to himself.

NQ6U
08-26-2011, 03:34 PM
Yes, in fact I do. Especially if one just goes to the hardware manufacturers, and says,"Let me get the plans to the LG Prada."

So, then, you think that Apple wrote an entire new operating system, the iOS, in a month??

It's so easy, we have this less than a month after the iPhone 4 is released: http://gadgetsrepublic.com/gooapple-phone-now-available-for-pre-order

You're forgetting that the cloner has had several years to copy the function of the iPhone and still did a shitty job. The only part of that phone that's like the iPhone 4 is the case and that's the easy part. Saying that Apple could have copied the Prada in a month is is absurd.

So, yes, corporate espionage is alive and well.

Undoubtedly, but Apple has been the target of it, not the perpetrator.

So, it's not a matter of if I "like" him or not. Facts is facts. I think he's a smart guy, in fact. He was able to turn religion into a marketing tool for the masses, all without having a 501(c)3 charter.

You're letting your distaste for Jobs and Apple blind you, my friend. What you're saying here flies in the face of reason and the facts.

W3MIV
08-26-2011, 03:43 PM
I give Jobs a lot of credit, and I wish him well with his health trials. No matter how controversial the Apple story, the company deserves the success it has wrung from a hard and fleeting market. Their ego-driven insistence on remaining a "system apart" has resulted in a market share populated by some of the most loyal consumers outside of the world of Porsche.

Their industrial design standards are second to none. So is the iPhone. It is simply the best cell phone I have ever used, bar none.

WØTKX
08-26-2011, 03:48 PM
I worked for an Apple Dealer when the Mac came out, exciting times. But it was no workhorse, at first. The Apple III with Apple Works or /// EZ Pieces was better for most business use, for a while. Stuffing an Orange Micro CP/M card in an Apple II or III let you do even more cool stuff.

But for most users, the GUI on the Mac was irresistible. Non technical folks could figure out how to do stuff by playing with it. Just like the iPhone. And this is something Apple excels at. Then, they crank up the power/features with later models. I think that's pretty damn smart.

And the Apple Lisa was amazing, came out before the Mac... just too expensive. If I buy another computer here, I'd like a used Mac, maybe a Mac Mini. I'd rather have my laptop(s) running Windows 7, or maybe Linux.

W1GUH
08-26-2011, 04:41 PM
'MIV:

So is the iPhone. It is simply the best cell phone I have ever used, bar none.

In what way and what are you comparing it to?

Better range?
Better sound?
Battery lasts longer?
More reliable?

WØTKX
08-26-2011, 05:15 PM
User interface, when you are NOT using it as a phone. I consider a bluetooth headset mandatory to use an iPhone as a phone. My Razr is a much better phone. But I like surfing on the iPhone, and the apps. :yes:

KC2UGV
08-26-2011, 05:25 PM
So, then, you think that Apple wrote an entire new operating system, the iOS, in a month??

No, they took BSD, and added a layer on top of it. Do you really think Apple wrote the whole of iOS? Hell, Mac OS is BSD with a layer on top of it. BSD binaries run out of the box.

You're forgetting that the cloner has had several years to copy the function of the iPhone and still did a shitty job. The only part of that phone that's like the iPhone 4 is the case and that's the easy part. Saying that Apple could have copied the Prada in a month is is absurd.

From what I hear, the skinned Android they are using is pretty damned close. Either way, it's easy to make clones when you are using corporate espionage. They didn't have only a month. The Prada was shown a year earlier at CES.

Undoubtedly, but Apple has been the target of it, not the perpetrator.

Now, that's Steve talking there... If everyone was playing catch up with Apple, how come all of their features in iOS as of late were things Android has had for quite some time? Mac OS took BSD, and make it look like iOS.

Apple hasn't really innovated anything technology-wise in a long time. Now, paint schemes and ornamental patterns? From the list of 317 patents with Steve's name on them, the majority are for outside appearance, like stair case designs, and computer cases.

You're letting your distaste for Jobs and Apple blind you, my friend. What you're saying here flies in the face of reason and the facts.

Pot. Kettle. I have no distaste per se for Steve or Apple. In fact, I used to be an avid Mac user, until I found out there are better OS's out there.

NQ6U
08-26-2011, 05:42 PM
No, they took BSD, and added a layer on top of it. Do you really think Apple wrote the whole of iOS? Hell, Mac OS is BSD with a layer on top of it. BSD binaries run out of the box.

From what I hear, the skinned Android they are using is pretty damned close. Either way, it's easy to make clones when you are using corporate espionage. They didn't have only a month. The Prada was shown a year earlier at CES.

Now, that's Steve talking there... If everyone was playing catch up with Apple, how come all of their features in iOS as of late were things Android has had for quite some time? Mac OS took BSD, and make it look like iOS.

Apple hasn't really innovated anything technology-wise in a long time. Now, paint schemes and ornamental patterns? From the list of 317 patents with Steve's name on them, the majority are for outside appearance, like stair case designs, and computer cases.

Pot. Kettle. I have no distaste per se for Steve or Apple. In fact, I used to be an avid Mac user, until I found out there are better OS's out there.

Everything you wrote in that post is either unsupported by fact or flat out wrong. I thought you were an IT guy, yet you don't even understand OS X which is not merely a GUI on top of BSD Unix. Yes, it is a POSIX-compliant Unix, but it's a microkernel architecture based on MACH, not BSD; although the two are related, they are not the same and as an IT guy, you should know that.

As far as the rest of the stuff goes, not a single bit of it proves your point and is pure speculation or opinion.

WØTKX
08-26-2011, 05:48 PM
No kidding. And the Mach kernel has some damn good things going for it.

KC2UGV
08-26-2011, 07:13 PM
Everything you wrote in that post is either unsupported by fact or flat out wrong. I thought you were an IT guy, yet you don't even understand OS X which is not merely a GUI on top of BSD Unix. Yes, it is a POSIX-compliant Unix, but it's a microkernel architecture based on MACH, not BSD; although the two are related, they are not the same and as an IT guy, you should know that.

As far as the rest of the stuff goes, not a single bit of it proves your point and is pure speculation or opinion.

I never said a GUI. I said "layer". And, Mac OS is a direct descendant of BSD:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X#History

N (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X#History)etBSD and and FreeBSD were incorporated into NextSTEP, which was whole and parcel a derivative of Solaris (Hence why Apple backed off of Sun with the paten suits, as they knew all of NextSTEP was covered by Sun patents). BTW, one can run GNU/MACH, pretty much without any work. Could probably run GNU/XNU (Which is the Mac OSX kernel)....

MACH is a kernel. Not an OS.

And, some info about MACH(aka XNU):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XNU

After Apple acquired NeXT, the Mach component was upgraded to 3.0, the BSD components were upgraded with code from the (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XNU)FreeBSD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeBSD) project and the Driver Kit was replaced with a C++ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2B%2B) API for writing drivers called I/O Kit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I/O_Kit).

So, um yeah. Not much innovation, short of the GUI, which is part and parcel like GNome, with a smattering of WindowMaker tossed in (Like the dock, oh wait! I mean, the slit).

Of course, MACH(aka XNU) isn't really anything innovative either:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd)
Like I said, Apple stopped innovating quite some time ago.

KG4CGC
08-26-2011, 07:25 PM
So, what kind of illness is plaguing him? Or did I miss that in the article?

W3MIV
08-26-2011, 07:54 PM
So, what kind of illness is plaguing him? Or did I miss that in the article?

In 2009, he had a liver transplant. He has also been diagnosed with a form of pancreatic cancer, which I understand is not as aggressive as the more usual forms of the disease. This was why he took an extended medical leave from Apple earlier; he intended to come back to his job. The decision to resign does not bode well in my view.

W1GUH
08-27-2011, 01:02 AM
News Flash!!!

Just got back from a bar where a dear friend and a technically savvy and good person had just gotten an HP tablet for $99. Funny thing...just today or yesterday I told myself that if I could get a tablet for $100 I'd buy it. They're not worth anymore that that.

Well...this HP tablet beats the SHIT out of the iPad (besides...iPads leak around the edges). The HP HAS Flash! (Like, you know a hard disk?). It interfaces to USB devices (the iPad can only dream about that)...AND it's connectivity is conventional Wi-Fi.

The iPad is junk. THIS HP tablet is what a tablet SHOULD be. Hope I can get one of those suckers.

Cheers!