PDA

View Full Version : Hey Richmond Va...You still there????

rot
08-23-2011, 01:16 PM
Dayum...Felt the tremor down here...scared the piss out of the dogs....
Strange Day.
rot

W7XF
08-23-2011, 01:25 PM
Just remember...UTs are standing by!!! :lol:

rot
08-23-2011, 01:27 PM
Just remember...UTs are standing by!!! :lol:
Bwaaaaaaaaaaaa....LMAO.
rot

NQ6U
08-23-2011, 01:33 PM
According to one article I read, it measured 5.9, which would make people around here pause for a moment, say "hey, good one" then go back to whatever it was they were doing at the time but probably terrified the folks back there.

W7XF
08-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Crypt Boi doesn't live too far from Richmond...hope he's OK since some of those bldg's there are pushing 300+
yrs old...

W1GUH
08-23-2011, 01:38 PM
Felt it all the way up here in CT.

PA5COR
08-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Was even on thhe Dutch news, Pentagon cleared of people and all that....
Shaky ground you guy's live on....

K7SGJ
08-23-2011, 01:40 PM
It's just a ploy to divert attention from congress.

W3WN
08-23-2011, 01:42 PM
It was felt in Pittsburgh as well. A few buildings evacuated as a precaution, including Agony, er, Allegheny General Hospital (as per my wife).

Our building shook. I didn't feel a thing, but I was in the restroom, er, occupied at the time.

Nothing to see here. These aren't the droids you're looking for. Move along.

W2NAP
08-23-2011, 01:45 PM
didnt feel a thing in indiana

X-Rated
08-23-2011, 01:47 PM
KWW. Kwake Was Wild.

w3bny
08-23-2011, 01:54 PM
Rock-n-Roll up here in College Park/Muppet Labs. Our massive 3-axis shaker was moving up and down on the airbag supports...feckin kool! We almost broke out the "you arent taking us alive bitches!" pills.

Freekin democrats! That or I ate leftover Passover Matzo with a bbq pork chop....Sorry...

KK4AMI
08-23-2011, 02:09 PM
Dayum...Felt the tremor down here...scared the piss out of the dogs....
Strange Day.
rot

Charlottesville is alive and well, still waiting for Luke to pop up! That was a sneaky earthquake, I was busy tracking the hurricane. Gawd is after me, I knew I should not have hung out with you guys!:bowdown:

w3bny
08-23-2011, 02:16 PM
Gawd is after me, I knew I should not have hung out with you guys!:bowdown:

Seriously.... I was hungry and took one of my lunch bbq'd pork chops and a pulled out a Yehuda Matzo (leftover Passover ones) and was gnawing away. Bout half way thru the pork chop and the sheet of Matzo I thought "this is just fooking wrong!" and my Jewish test engineer looked at me and said "Is that a pork chop...and MATZO?!?!" Hour and a half later...GRUMBLE RUMBLE!

w3bny
08-23-2011, 02:18 PM
P.S.

Latest news...the DC beltway....Snowzilla traffic! except with sunshine!

w3bny
08-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Unconfirmed report...3 of the spires of the National Cathedral have fallen and the main one is leaning.

KG4CGC
08-23-2011, 02:31 PM
Unconfirmed report...3 of the spires of the National Cathedral have fallen and the main one is leaning.
Someone said that FOX News reported that "it is leaning right."

W1GUH
08-23-2011, 02:31 PM
P.S.

Latest news...the DC beltway....Snowzilla traffic! except with sunshine!

Isn't the beltway traffic always Snowzilla?

KJ3N
08-23-2011, 02:37 PM
didnt feel a thing in indiana

Count yourself lucky. The building I'm in visibly shook. First time I've experienced something like that.

N8YX
08-23-2011, 02:38 PM

Link, if you find one?

w3bny
08-23-2011, 02:46 PM
Link, if you find one?

Only one I have so far. http://www.wtop.com/?nid=41&sid=2509741

WTOP is THE news station up here.

ki4itv
08-23-2011, 03:01 PM
Well, that was kindly strong...
I'm still kickin' though.

W3WN
08-23-2011, 03:02 PM
Anyone ever hear of this site? http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php (http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php) Our intern forwarded the link, saying he uses it to monitor "what's going on in the world"

They show two "Nuclear Events" under Short Term Events right after the earthquake, but little detail; those "events" may be nothing more than the plant(s) going on low level alert, or automatically going off-line as a precaution, because of the tremblor. They also show an "epidemic hazard" under Current Emergencies, which may be nothing more than a sick person with measles on a train.

PA5COR
08-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Been using that for a long time now, i think i even put up a link to that sometime ago here...
Plant went offline, lost power and went to diesel generators to cool the plant.
That plant was designed for a 5.9 - 6.1 quake, close call then.
Known plant -North Anna- has a bad record of leaks, EPA violations, Fed. court injunctions, state negligence, even a glowing Lake Anna w/ radioactive fish

ki4itv
08-23-2011, 03:05 PM
Thanks for that link Ron. I had misplaced the english version.

kb2vxa
08-23-2011, 03:12 PM
TEH BUNNEH DID IT! Ren you should know better, you got God pissed and he stamped his foot only in the wrong place. (Close but no cigar Big Guy.) 5.9 magnitude at a depth of 3.6 miles just south of Mineral, VA and felt all over the East Coast. Preliminary reports indicate light damage in NYC, Philadelphia and the Penn St. Bridge over the Schuylkill River connecting Reading and W. Reading, PA is closed. NY & PA airports are open after a temporary closure to inspect runways, Amtrak is enforcing speed restrictions on the Northeast Corridor and SEPTA likewise in the Philly subway. Since NJT shares NEC trackage the Trenton Local, NY and Hoboken trains on the North Jersey Coast line are guaranteed to be entangled.

As may be expected cell phone services are overloaded and police asking the public to call 911 only in an emergency (stupid strikes again). For what it's worth I parsed the USGS web site and found several seismograph data pages inaccessible, best guess is the news services are scrambling for data. My personal uncalibrated seismograph (me) noted moderate east-west lateral motion at 13:55 EST that lasted about 40 seconds.

Ground she's movin' under me
But no tidal waves out on the sea
Thought might be surfs up today
Lousy disappointment, nay

Hey I don't know
I don't know
I don't know where I'm a gonna go
If dat fat Christie blow

KE7DKN
08-23-2011, 03:13 PM
Well, that was fun.

ad4mg
08-23-2011, 04:04 PM
Well, that was quite a kick in the ass! 1:50, and two of us stepped out for a smoke break before a 2:00 conference call. I had my back on our block office building, standing on the deck in front of our office trailer. Heard the thing coming from the west, thought it was thunder until the ground started moving. I could feel the block building moving, and suddenly, people started coming out of the buildings all around us. I watched two 150' communications towers about a block away visibly swaying.

I happened to have my cell phone in my hand, and timed the quake at just over 30 seconds in duration. At the end of it, I had moved away from the buildings, and was standing in the middle of our parking lot, and I could feel the ground moving under my feet. Damn eerie feeling.

I'll take a pass on any additional earthquakes, thank you very much. Local TV stations are all over this - no reports of major damage anywhere.

BTW - the Dominion Virginia Power Louisa (North Anna) nuclear generating station is about 12 miles east of Mineral. They shut the two nukes there down, but no damage has been reported.

Next up for us is the hurricane. I can't wait ...

ab1ga
08-23-2011, 04:14 PM
So it's finally happened: Christine O'Donnell felt the earth move.

n2ize
08-23-2011, 04:21 PM
I remember one night back around 1986 or 87 I was at my parents house and I was studying for an exam and decided to call it quits and hit the hay. I recall waking up at some time like 3 or 4 AM to a loud rumbling sound and I could feel the room shaking. Still half asleep I assured myself "it's just a subway train passing underground". But wait a minute, I was at my folks house and there are no subway trains. So I wake up figuring that Reagan must have pissed of Ghadaffi or the Russians so much that one of them managed to lob a bomb somewhere. Then I threw on the police scanner and, sure enough, I started hearing reports about an earthquake that struck in the dead of night. That particular earthquake happened to be centered very close to where I was, somewhere around Yonkers or Dobbs Ferry. I recal it did do some minor damage, I think an abandoned tenement in The Bronx partially collapsed from that quake. And there were a couple of aftershocks to.

N8YX
08-23-2011, 04:22 PM

Perfect storm: Bachmann, Palin and O'Donnell in a volcanic, tectonic three-way! And Irene's headed to the party!

rot
08-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Well glad to hear all is well overall. Just a bit to freakin weird for my taste..
With a hurricane, unless you live in an isolated cave somewhere you can pretty much see 'er coming. They are getting better with the nado's I think, but this earthquake junk is a bit to sneaky.
I could imagine some homebrew seismograph projects maybe or a Ronco QuakeCaller....
the next time I see my pups run tail under for the door I might just take note...seems like they had a 5 to 10 sec lead on the deal.

I think evacuation of the Outer Banks starts tomorrow. I love me some OBX, but that's a place where da shit happens this time of the year.

rot

ad4mg
08-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Well glad to hear all is well overall. Just a bit to freakin weird for my taste..
With a hurricane, unless you live in an isolated cave somewhere you can pretty much see 'er coming. They are getting better with the nado's I think, but this earthquake junk is a bit to sneaky.
I could imagine some homebrew seismograph projects maybe or a Ronco QuakeCaller....
the next time I see my pups run tail under for the door I might just take note...seems like they had a 5 to 10 sec lead on the deal.

I think evacuation of the Outer Banks starts tomorrow. I love me some OBX, but that's a place where da shit happens this time of the year.

rot

Yeah, you're right on the OBX. We have a week reserved at Hatteras House (lower Avon) just weeks away.

Hell, at least I don't have to worry about earthquakes that week ... :)

I gotta admit - that little shaker today skeered the living chit outta my old ass! :hand:

n2ize
08-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Been using that for a long time now, i think i even put up a link to that sometime ago here...
Plant went offline, lost power and went to diesel generators to cool the plant.
That plant was designed for a 5.9 - 6.1 quake, close call then.
Known plant -North Anna- has a bad record of leaks, EPA violations, Fed. court injunctions, state negligence, even a glowing Lake Anna w/ radioactive fish

Sounds like things worked the way they are supposed to... Bitchin !!

W2NAP
08-23-2011, 04:31 PM
Count yourself lucky. The building I'm in visibly shook. First time I've experienced something like that.

last one i felt here was the 3.8 quake around kokomo,indiana dec 30th,2010 i think it was

rot
08-23-2011, 04:35 PM
Charlottesville is alive and well, still waiting for Luke to pop up! That was a sneaky earthquake, I was busy tracking the hurricane. Gawd is after me, I knew I should not have hung out with you guys!:bowdown:

Dood...I told ya not to plant them lowland tremorboy collards...bad juju... :-D Pop always grew the shakeystop variety.

Good to see Charlottesville still swinging.
:clap:

rot

rot
08-23-2011, 04:47 PM
Yeah, you're right on the OBX. We have a week reserved at Hatteras House (lower Avon) just weeks away.

Hell, at least I don't have to worry about earthquakes that week ... :)

I gotta admit - that little shaker today skeered the living chit outta my old ass! :hand:

That Rodanthe Avon stretch is sweet...We used to do the Jeanette's pier/bungalows near Oregon Inlet regular in Octobeh...It got blowed away, but was rebuilt and is now state owned I believe....would love to kick that tradition back in...I love me some pier hang and the cottages were perfect. Not sure if the bungalows are there anymore.

Serious kick back and savor...Enjoy!!!!

NQ6U
08-23-2011, 04:57 PM
last one i felt here was the 3.8 quake around kokomo,indiana dec 30th,2010 i think it was

Last one I felt here was on Easter Sunday 2010, a 7.2, but it was a couple of hundred miles away. Biggest one I ever lived through was the 6.9 Loma Prieta quake back in 1989. Now that one scared the piss out of even us earthquake-jaded Bay Area residents.

KJ3N
08-23-2011, 05:58 PM

All she had to do was call me. ;)

n2ize
08-23-2011, 06:13 PM
Good thing it didn't happen out off the Atlantic coast or it would be "surf's up !!". Surf may be up anyway over the weekend as Irene comes through. If this Irene is anything like the Irene I knew she can be a mean bitch. Which leads to another topic for another time. They don't name snowstorms, they don't name thunderstorms or tornadoes, they don't name nor'easters. Why the heck do they give hurricanes names ?

W3MPS
08-23-2011, 09:41 PM
Somehow I managed to miss out on the whole deal. I was down at my uncle's doing some work clearing an old boiler out of his basement when the earthquake happened. His neighbor asked be if I had felt the earthquake. I though he was joking and said, "No, that was just me pounding the crap out of an old boiler with a sledgehammer to break it up so I could haul it away."

Everybody else in the damn state felt it, I feel kinda gypped.

KG4CGC
08-23-2011, 10:00 PM
That's funny.

KK4AMI
08-24-2011, 09:02 AM
Obama went on TV yesterday and spoke about the Earthquake. He said it occurred over an obscure fault line known as "Bush's Fault"!

ki4itv
08-24-2011, 09:15 AM
Obama went on TV yesterday and spoke about the Earthquake. He said it occurred over an obscure fault line known as "Bush's Fault"!

That's actually funnier than it should be.:lol:

X-Rated
08-24-2011, 09:33 AM
Last one I felt here was on Easter Sunday 2010, a 7.2, but it was a couple of hundred miles away. Biggest one I ever lived through was the 6.9 Loma Prieta quake back in 1989. Now that one scared the piss out of even us earthquake-jaded Bay Area residents.

So what was the largest one you didn't quite make it through?

suddenseer
08-24-2011, 11:04 AM
I am not aware of any deaths occurring as a result of the earthquake. That would be the good side of the coin.

NQ6U
08-24-2011, 11:31 AM
So what was the largest one you didn't quite make it through?

The 1906 San Francisco earthquake. I died in that one but was reincarnated forty-seven years later.

w3bny
08-24-2011, 11:35 AM
I am not aware of any deaths occurring as a result of the earthquake. That would be the good side of the coin.

Earthquakes rarely if ever kill people. 100lb falling chunks of concrete do all the damn time though. Yeah yeah it coincided with the earthquake but in and of itself...It didnt kill anyone.

ka4dpo
08-24-2011, 11:37 AM
It was terrible but us Virginny people are a tough bunch.

w3bny
08-24-2011, 11:41 AM
Saved!

NQ6U
08-24-2011, 11:45 AM
Earthquakes rarely if ever kill people. 100lb falling chunks of concrete do all the damn time though. Yeah yeah it coincided with the earthquake but in and of itself...It didnt kill anyone.

Absolutely right. The safest place to be in an earthquake is out in the middle of an open field away from structures and overhead power lines. As a bonus, under those circumstances you can sometimes actually see the waves in the earth, which is a real mind-boggler. That happened to me once. I was driving a fuel truck for a commuter airline based at SFO, out on the tarmac during a moderate earthquake, and could see the waves rolling across the airport like the swell on the ocean.

kb2vxa
08-24-2011, 12:56 PM
You don't suppose survivors of the 1964 Alaska quake might have a differing opinion?

NQ6U
08-24-2011, 03:12 PM
You don't suppose survivors of the 1964 Alaska quake might have a differing opinion?

Nope. Think about what would have happened to someone who happened to be in a building on that spot.

n2ize
08-24-2011, 03:21 PM
Absolutely right. The safest place to be in an earthquake is out in the middle of an open field away from structures and overhead power lines. As a bonus, under those circumstances you can sometimes actually see the waves in the earth, which is a real mind-boggler. That happened to me once. I was driving a fuel truck for a commuter airline based at SFO, out on the tarmac during a moderate earthquake, and could see the waves rolling across the airport like the swell on the ocean.

That sounds mind boggling. It would be awesome to get a pictures or video of that.

Right now the only waves i am concerned about are the kind of waves people might see coming across from the approaching hurricane. I am concerned about people out on Long Island, coastal points along NYC, and up and down the east coast. Fortunately I am far enough inland where surging seas won't affect me. Buut heavy rain coupled with strong wind gusts could knock down branched, bring down wires, etc. I am really glad they took down that dying tree that was sitting in front of my house. Sad part was that I lost a good antenna support. Fortunately I have a couple more big trees.

KG4CGC
08-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Check it.
http://miguelrios.tumblr.com/post/9338564551/spread-of-earthquake-related-tweets

KC2UGV
08-24-2011, 07:28 PM
Check it.
http://miguelrios.tumblr.com/post/9338564551/spread-of-earthquake-related-tweets

Holy shite! Even Buffalo lit up there. Expected, I suppose, since we are a hub of backoffices (aka People who sit behind a keyboard all day), but it is interesting nonetheless.

W2NAP
08-24-2011, 11:34 PM

just like falling off a tower or building. the fall dont kill ya the sudden stop dose

kb2vxa
08-25-2011, 04:24 PM
Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa

"Nope. Think about what would have happened to someone who happened to be in a building on that spot."

There's nothing to think about really. In other words there's no assuredly safe place in an earthquake of such magnitude (9.2) with the strongest measured being 9.5 in southern Chile, 1960.

NQ6U
08-25-2011, 04:36 PM
There's nothing to think about really. In other words there's no assuredly safe place in an earthquake of such magnitude (9.2) with the strongest measured being 9.5 in southern Chile, 1960.

I don't think anyone said that there's an assuredly safe place in a large-magnitude earthquake. Ren said that earthquakes themselves rarely kill people, falling stuff does and I said the safest place to be in an earthquake is out in an open field; both statements are accurate. Ground being torn up by an earthquake in the manner shown in that photo is uncommon and typically limited to areas immediately adjacent to the actual fault.

W3MIV
08-25-2011, 04:47 PM
Doan care 'bout no steekeen urthquakes.

I figure this was some sort of secret weapons test engineered -- and fxixed up -- by the geniuses in the Pentagon and covered up by the earthquake story.

ki4itv
08-25-2011, 04:50 PM
I think we're in for a real storm in the Mid Atlantic. This is not looking good.

W1GUH
08-25-2011, 04:52 PM
I remember one night back around 1986 or 87 I was at my parents house and I was studying for an exam and decided to call it quits and hit the hay. I recall waking up at some time like 3 or 4 AM to a loud rumbling sound and I could feel the room shaking. Still half asleep I assured myself "it's just a subway train passing underground". But wait a minute, I was at my folks house and there are no subway trains. So I wake up figuring that Reagan must have pissed of Ghadaffi or the Russians so much that one of them managed to lob a bomb somewhere. Then I threw on the police scanner and, sure enough, I started hearing reports about an earthquake that struck in the dead of night. That particular earthquake happened to be centered very close to where I was, somewhere around Yonkers or Dobbs Ferry. I recal it did do some minor damage, I think an abandoned tenement in The Bronx partially collapsed from that quake. And there were a couple of aftershocks to.

Must be he one I felt in the city.

KC2UGV
08-25-2011, 08:06 PM
Doan care 'bout no steekeen urthquakes.

I figure this was some sort of secret weapons test engineered -- and fxixed up -- by the geniuses in the Pentagon and covered up by the earthquake story.

HAARP did it :lol:

N2CHX
08-25-2011, 08:18 PM
I was sitting at my workstation and noticed my monitors were shaking. Then the 1100 stack I use as a test bed was swaying and the bottles of Methanol and H2O on top started to shake, then I felt it. Weird feeling, but not nearly as weird and violent as when I woke up in a hotel room in Memphis in 2000, to my head smacking against the headboard because of a violent earthquake that happened while doing some contract work there.

KG4CGC
08-25-2011, 09:18 PM
I was sitting at my workstation and noticed my monitors were shaking. Then the 1100 stack I use as a test bed was swaying and the bottles of Methanol and H2O on top started to shake, then I felt it. Weird feeling, but not nearly as weird and violent as when I woke up in a hotel room in Memphis in 2000, to my head smacking against the headboard because of a violent earthquake that happened while doing some contract work there.If you were in Memphis that wasn't an earthquake. Kidding. I've heard some pretty wild stories about the strip in Memphis. Who would of thought little ole Memphis would be so wild?

ki4itv
08-25-2011, 09:57 PM
Memphis is like bizarreO world.
I lived there. Everything about Memphis is unfortunate.

KG4CGC
08-25-2011, 10:03 PM
I think the whole western half of Tenn is bizzarreO. Then Kentucky has it's blackholes too.

ka4dpo
08-25-2011, 11:36 PM
I think we're in for a real storm in the Mid Atlantic. This is not looking good. I'm getting the life jackets out of the boat just in case.

We are supposed to get between 5 and 15 inches of rain here depending on which way the storm tracks. Tomorrow I have to get everything off of the deck and into the basement, winds might be as high as 75 MPH and I'm not taking chances with loose stuff flying around.

KG4CGC
08-25-2011, 11:44 PM
Attic?

KC2UGV
08-26-2011, 06:09 AM
when I woke up in a hotel room in Memphis in 2000, to my head smacking against the headboard because of a violent earthquake that happened while doing some contract work there.

Yeah, we'll go with the earthquake story :lol:

KJ3N
08-26-2011, 06:39 AM
Yeah, we'll go with the earthquake story :lol:

:rofl: :rofl:

ki4itv
08-26-2011, 07:00 AM
:lol:

W3MIV
08-26-2011, 07:05 AM
Then Kentucky has it's blackholes too.

The blackholes are called mines. The assholes are called McConnell and Paul.

ki4itv
08-26-2011, 09:07 AM
The Dismal Swamp fire smell is really strong in Richmond today.
Smells like smoldering peat all over town.

kb2vxa
08-26-2011, 09:17 AM
Nah, it's that wisp of smoke from the ghost train shaken from peaceful slumber.

NQ6U
08-26-2011, 11:38 AM
Smells like smoldering peat all over town.

Are you sure there's not a hamfest somewhere nearby?

KG4CGC
08-26-2011, 12:13 PM
I'd take smoldering peat over hamstink.

WØTKX
08-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Headboard smacking is a good thing, sometimes. ;)

ki4itv
08-26-2011, 12:54 PM

Haah! Smells like ham spirit.

ki4itv
08-26-2011, 12:56 PM
I'd take smoldering peat over hamstink.

Really.
At least the founding hamfest fathers in Richmond had the foresight to schedule our big hamfest for February, and for that I thank them.

WØTKX
08-26-2011, 03:58 PM
Maybe the earthquake has prepared the soil so it has more room for all that water that's coming. :dunno:

KG4CGC
08-26-2011, 05:01 PM
Maybe the earthquake has prepared the soil so it has more room for all that water that's coming. :dunno:
Water always seeks its own level.

ab1ga
08-26-2011, 06:44 PM
Water always seeks its own level.

No it doesn't, it shares it with my basement.

KG4CGC
08-26-2011, 06:53 PM
No it doesn't, it shares it with my basement.
Well don't let your local utility providers know that. They'll put it on next month's bill!

ab1ga
08-26-2011, 07:11 PM
Well don't let your local utility providers know that. They'll put it on next month's bill!

They can't touch me. Best I can figure, my basement floods when a natural, localized Artesian system gets charged by rain or snowmelt.

Hey, maybe I'll have a fountain in my basement this year!

KG4CGC
08-26-2011, 07:17 PM
They can't touch me. Best I can figure, my basement floods when a natural, localized Artesian system gets charged by rain or snowmelt.

Hey, maybe I'll have a fountain in my basement this year!
Bottle that shit, man!