PDA

View Full Version : Pizza?

kc7jty
08-17-2011, 02:33 PM
http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/1130/pizzav.png

This is a visual attempt to lure customers to a local pizza shop. The cheese IS yellow, the black olives ARE canned, and the whole thing has the consistency & taste of a macaroni and cheese casserole and cardboard.
Since no one in this entire region has any taste, this shit flies.

KG4CGC
08-17-2011, 02:49 PM
http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/1130/pizzav.png

This a visual attempt to lure customers to a local pizza shop. The cheese IS yellow, the black olives ARE canned, and the whole thing has the consistency & taste of a macaroni and cheese casserole and cardboard.
Is CALIFORNIA GROWING Kalamata olives yet? Those black olives you get in a can don't even come close to what an olive is. Kind of like rubber that breaks down quickly.

http://imageshack.us/f/33/194bg.jpg/ (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/33/194bg.jpg/)
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/211/197g.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/f/19/199fj.jpg/

NQ6U
08-17-2011, 02:59 PM
Is CALIFORNIA GROWING Kalamata olives yet? Those black olives you get in a can don't even come close to what an olive is. Kind of like rubber that breaks down quickly.

It's not the California olives themselves, which are just fine. The fault lies in the way canned olives are processed, which is the brutally expedient lye process rather than the classic, but slower, salt brine process.

You can buy salt-processed California olives, at least here in CA, but not in a can. I've seen them dried Greek-style (my personal favorite) as well.

KG4CGC
08-17-2011, 03:03 PM
It's not the California olives themselves, which are just fine. The fault lies in the way canned olives are processed, which is the brutally expedient lye process rather than the classic, but slower, salt brine process.

You can buy salt-processed California olives, at least here in CA, but not in a can. I've seen them dried Greek-style (my personal favorite) as well.Which is fine for lutefisk (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&cp=8&gs_id=u&xhr=t&q=lutefisk&qe=bHVldGUgZmk&qesig=JfXZn6U9wDBUhw40tR7Mmg&pkc=AFgZ2tkLPQ7rf8X9FzsFFrtYEH8fgYJ2Zn5AHjtKSwNt1p 9Gs8u6Nzj8jnqioh_yritjNf2F-Im9dH9IaxJC_CwJR26uPIQbag&safe=off&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1680&bih=840&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi) I suppose.

n2ize
08-17-2011, 06:06 PM
I can tell you one thing. That stuff in the picture is NOT pizza. At least not by NYC standards. Real pizza is dough, mozzarella, and sauce, sometimes with some subtle spices. It can be topped, i.e with sausage, peppers, pepperoni, mushrooms, etc. but, if it is quality, it should stand on its own without any additional toppings. The crust should be thin and the pie should be baked in a coal or wood fired oven at high temp.

When in the NYC area you can find good pie at Tottono's in Brooklyn and Manhattan, Pepe's in Yonkers, and Connecticut among others. Patsy's in Manhattan is supposed to be good but personally I have not tried them. I've been hearing that Brooklyn is the hot spot for good authentic pizza's.

n2ize
08-17-2011, 06:08 PM
This a visual attempt to lure customers to a local pizza shop. The cheese IS yellow, the black olives ARE canned, and the whole thing has the consistency & taste of a macaroni and cheese casserole and cardboard.

If you like great pizza's you've got to come over here to NY.:)

W1GUH
08-17-2011, 06:16 PM
I can tell you one thing. That stuff in the picture is NOT pizza. At least not by NYC standards. Real pizza is dough, mozzarella, and sauce, sometimes with some subtle spices. It can be topped, i.e with sausage, peppers, pepperoni, mushrooms, etc. but, if it is quality, it should stand on its own without any additional toppings. The crust should be thin and the pie should be baked in a coal or wood fired oven at high temp.

When in the NYC area you can find good pie at Tottono's in Brooklyn and Manhattan, Pepe's in Yonkers, and Connecticut among others. Patsy's in Manhattan is supposed to be good but personally I have not tried them. I've been hearing that Brooklyn is the hot spot for good authentic pizza's.

Nope...none of those even come close to Mimi's on the UES.

n2ize
08-17-2011, 06:25 PM
Nope...none of those even come close to Mimi's on the UES.

What type of pizza oven do they use ? Everyone has their personal favorites.

W1GUH
08-17-2011, 06:31 PM
Have no clue....the kind that makes great pizza!

NA4BH
08-17-2011, 06:32 PM
I actually had a decent frozen pizza from........ wait for it........ Wal Mart. It was a "pizza of the world" or something like that. It came with big chunks of fresh (frozen) mozzarella. Wasn't too bad for production line cardboard.

n2ize
08-17-2011, 07:17 PM
Have no clue....the kind that makes great pizza!

Coal or wood probably.

W3WN
08-17-2011, 08:43 PM
If you like great pizza's you've got to come over here to NY.:)Now on this, I'll agree with you.

Growing up, one of the best parts of taking a trip into the City, or accompanying my dad when he was exhibiting in the WSOAE (Greenwich Village outdoor art show, twice a year) was getting authentic NYC style pizza. So thick you had to fold it in half, but worth every hot bite of molten cheese and exquisite sauces.

And lower Manhattan did NOT have the best pizza in the city, but we never ventured into Brooklyn. Once in a while, someone would bring one with them... but no point in drooling over what I can't have.

Nothing I've had since has come close. Well, there was one outfit here in Shannon, Bishop's Pizza, that was very close. But the local Pizza Huts put them out of business. Regardless, my boy would only eat PH cardboard, er, pizza until I got him to try Bishops... and then that was all we ever got. Still, close as it was, it wasn't quite there.

The local kids who grow up on chain store pizzas, or frozen mass produced ones, have no idea, no clue whatsoever, what they are missing. Sad.

KG4CGC
08-17-2011, 08:51 PM
I heard that it's the water in the dough. NY pizza is made to go with the NY water. Chicago, same story. Immigrants who worked the recipe and got it right for the water that came from the tap. At least that's the story as it was presented on Food Network.

kc7jty
08-17-2011, 09:34 PM
http://www.bloglander.com/cheapeats/wp-images/080214celeste.jpg

They got the water right for this too making it as good as the best hand made in NYC.

KG4CGC
08-17-2011, 09:52 PM
I was being completely cereal.

NA4BH
08-17-2011, 09:58 PM
Are you a cereal killer?

KG4CGC
08-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Are you a cereal killer?
Got the sweat shirt.

NA4BH
08-17-2011, 10:14 PM
You meant the "Sweet Shirt". Sugar Smacks http://thecount.com/wp-content/uploads/sugar_smacks-1.jpg

KG4CGC
08-17-2011, 10:21 PM
The YL actually made a sweatshirt with those little single serve boxes of cereal attached to it. Each box was stabbed with a plastic knife and was displayed in such a way as to demonstrate simulated bleeding.
Obviously for a Halloween gathering.
In the 5th grade, I took first place with my Hippie Werewolf costume.

kc7jty
08-17-2011, 11:44 PM
Yaay for Hippie Werewolf 5th graders! Did you burn a doob before biting someone?

KG4CGC
08-18-2011, 12:36 AM
Yaay for Hippie Werewolf 5th graders! Did you burn a doob before biting someone?I was 10 years old, Bill.

kc7jty
08-18-2011, 01:48 AM
poor excuse

KB3LAZ
08-18-2011, 03:03 AM
You know what gets me is fair pizza. Everyone goes to the fair and says what great pizza they have....3 lbs of dough and a teaspoon of sauce isnt pizza. Frozen pizza sucks imo. Around here good pizza is hard to find and great pizza is impossible to find. So I deal with what comes closest when I can find it. Though I like to make homemade pizza.

kc7jty
08-18-2011, 03:40 AM
I make French bread pizzas in the toaster oven in winter. It's 10k to the 12th power better than the chit they call pizza round here. Make the sauce from whole canned tomatoes, fresh chopped garlic, & EV olive oil. Often put some dry Italian salami pieces on top.

There's this dry Italian salami (made by Columbus in SF) in the Costco here that's currently $15.99/3 lb stick. I buy it, remove the paper wrapper, cut it in half and put it into a large square tupperware with loose fitting lid. Put it on the bottom shelf in the fridge in back. It's ready after about a month, it gets real dry, hard, and smells like toe jam ... yummy.

This image is what it looks like when I cut it in half fresh before aging. It gets darker in color and loses the glossy moisture in the pic.
http://shopluigis.com/store/images/salami_colunbus2.jpg
Even better if it's WAY past the expiration date.

W1GUH
08-18-2011, 10:01 AM
Coal or wood probably.

The catch is....ya gotta check first to see who's making the pizza on any given day.

[Note: Debating the best pizza or the best deli in NYC is one of the most popular sports for New Yorkers. You'll NEVER get agreement about who's the best. And, yes, some WILL note not only pizza shops, but individual pizza chefs...so the "best" place will vary by chef.] ;):cool2:

W3WN
08-18-2011, 10:41 AM
The YL actually made a sweatshirt with those little single serve boxes of cereal attached to it. Each box was stabbed with a plastic knife and was displayed in such a way as to demonstrate simulated bleeding.
Obviously for a Halloween gathering.
In the 5th grade, I took first place with my Hippie Werewolf costume.A couple of years ago, a friend of hers invited Little Miss Field Day to trick-or-treat in her neighborhood. Of course, I had to follow... at a discreet distance, naturally.

My costume was an empty corn flakes box that had been pierced by a plastic sword from the dollar store.

When asked what I was, my answer:

I'm a cereal killer. This is my costume; I look just like everyone else.

The adults loved it. However, LMFD informed me that I was never, ever, ever to do that again.

W3WN
08-18-2011, 10:44 AM
I make French bread pizzas in the toaster oven in winter. It's 10k to the 12th power better than the chit they call pizza round here. Make the sauce from whole canned tomatoes, fresh chopped garlic, & EV olive oil. Often put some dry Italian salami pieces on top.

There's this dry Italian salami (made by Columbus in SF) in the Costco here that's currently $15.99/3 lb stick. I buy it, remove the paper wrapper, cut it in half and put it into a large square tupperware with loose fitting lid. Put it on the bottom shelf in the fridge in back. It's ready after about a month, it gets real dry, hard, and smells like toe jam ... yummy.

This image is what it looks like when I cut it in half fresh before aging. It gets darker in color and loses the glossy moisture in the pic.
http://shopluigis.com/store/images/salami_colunbus2.jpg
Even better if it's WAY past the expiration date.You don't make your own sauce?

I'm not being a smartass... I have a sauce (with & without meat) that's fantastic with pasta, but I haven't quite got the spices right to use it as a pizza sauce yet, so I'm always looking for tips on that. This is the best time of year for it, as I use fresh, ripe Roma tomatoes out of the garden... often within minutes of them being picked. (Rest of the year I buy the tomatoes at the store, the flavor is still much better than canned, but not as quite good as fresh)

KG4CGC
08-18-2011, 10:47 AM
A couple of years ago, a friend of hers invited Little Miss Field Day to trick-or-treat in her neighborhood. Of course, I had to follow... at a discreet distance, naturally.

My costume was an empty corn flakes box that had been pierced by a plastic sword from the dollar store.

When asked what I was, my answer:

I'm a cereal killer. This is my costume; I look just like everyone else.

The adults loved it. However, LMFD informed me that I was never, ever, ever to do that again.
Going out on Halloween as a Priest is scary. Going out on Halloween as a priest with a boner is hilarious. Go out on Halloween dressed as a priest while your male children are dressed as altar boys will get you beat up in varying sections of town.

NQ6U
08-18-2011, 10:49 AM
Go out on Halloween dressed as a priest while your male children are dressed as altar boys will get you beat up in varying sections of town.

And a date in other sections.

WØTKX
08-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Depends on your definition of "beat".

KC2UGV
08-18-2011, 12:07 PM
I heard that it's the water in the dough. NY pizza is made to go with the NY water. Chicago, same story. Immigrants who worked the recipe and got it right for the water that came from the tap. At least that's the story as it was presented on Food Network.

Beer too. It's why they add lime to the water in many breweries. To simulate the original water beer was brewed with.

kc7jty
08-18-2011, 01:06 PM
You don't make your own sauce?

I'm not being a smartass... I have a sauce (with & without meat) that's fantastic with pasta, but I haven't quite got the spices right to use it as a pizza sauce yet, so I'm always looking for tips on that. This is the best time of year for it, as I use fresh, ripe Roma tomatoes out of the garden... often within minutes of them being picked. (Rest of the year I buy the tomatoes at the store, the flavor is still much better than canned, but not as quite good as fresh)

I make my own sauce but use canned tomatoes. Actually some of the imported plum tomatoes from Italy that DON'T contain salt or calcium chloride are quite good.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Marzano_tomato
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Marzano_tomato)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Ygo7oAmOL._SL500_AA300_PIbundle-12,TopRight,0,0_AA300_SH20_.jpg
Of course fresh from the garden is best if they are fully ripe.

Mash the whole skinless tomatoes (it's best to remove the seeds but haven't done it for years) in a sauce pan (don't overdo it). Bring to a simmer and add salt, basil, minced fresh garlic, EV olive oil, & crushed red pepper. (You might want to remove some juice after they simmered for a few minutes if they are fresh tomatoes, do this before adding any of the ingredients besides salt)

I only simmer the canned tomatoes for about 5 mins and sprinkle some dried ITALIAN oregano (Italian can be hard to get due to Mexican being so popular) on the sauce after I turn off the heat (stir it in when you spoon it onto the dough/bread. I like to put the cheese on first then the sauce. Never use too much cheese or sauce. You want the dough/bread to crunch with every bite.

Cento is a good brand, and their oregano is 100% Italian.

Some of the best pizzas I ever had were cooked in brick ovens that were 800 degrees. You could see the bricks glowing red. The pie is placed directly onto the hot bricks with a peel and is often a bit burnt in a few spots when done. Nothing better.

N2NH
08-18-2011, 04:09 PM
http://www.bloglander.com/cheapeats/wp-images/080214celeste.jpg

They got the water right for this too making it as good as the best hand made in NYC.

It's good, but nowhere near THAT good. Heck, I make my own. Pizza here is $2.50 a slice and over $14 for a large pie. I like Stouffers French Bread Pizza, but they are small and cost too much. So, how hard is it to make your own? Not very and a lot cheaper. Italian bread - $1.50. Sauce - Spaghetti Sauce that is seasoned to taste - $2.50. Mozzerella Cheese - $6.00. If you have a grater, you're in business. Still you'll get 4 to 7 French Bread's worth of pizza with that, each enough to feed 2. Add pepperoni or other toppings - still cheaper than the Pizza Parlor or anything frozen.

KG4CGC
08-18-2011, 04:16 PM
Anyone ever try those premade precooked crusts? 2 to a bag at about $7 a bag? 3 years ago however they were $4 a bag.
Forget the brand, Momma Molestes or Momma Mia?

I have had good results with canned dough. I prefer crescent roll dough although I've used biscuit dough, placed between 2 sheets of plastic and rolled out flat. A little hard to do but it works.

kc7jty
08-18-2011, 05:17 PM
It's good, but nowhere near THAT good. Heck, I make my own. Pizza here is $2.50 a slice and over $14 for a large pie. I like Stouffers French Bread Pizza, but they are small and cost too much. So, how hard is it to make your own? Not very and a lot cheaper. Italian bread - $1.50. Sauce - Spaghetti Sauce that is seasoned to taste - $2.50. Mozzerella Cheese - $6.00. If you have a grater, you're in business. Still you'll get 4 to 7 French Bread's worth of pizza with that, each enough to feed 2. Add pepperoni or other toppings - still cheaper than the Pizza Parlor or anything frozen.

I forget I must use the sarcasmic indentation. I was kidding about Mama Celeste's frozen goom baugh.

kc7jty
08-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Anyone ever try those premade precooked crusts? 2 to a bag at about $7 a bag? 3 years ago however they were $4 a bag.
Forget the brand, Momma Molestes or Momma Mia?

Boboli. Never tried them just like I never thought of buying a flymo.

http://www.crocus.co.uk/images/products2/PR/20/00/00/58/PR2000005809_card2.jpg

n2ize
08-18-2011, 06:21 PM
I've thought of making my own pies but why bother. There are so many good places around here that make excellent pies. And price wise not bad either, anywhere from $18.00 for a coal oven thin crust cheese pizza to $23.00 for a wood or coal baked margherita. It's not worth it for me to make at home. Now, if I were to move to a place where I cannot get a good quality pie then I would seriously consider homebrewing my own.

KC2UGV
08-18-2011, 09:15 PM
I've thought of making my own pies but why bother. There are so many good places around here that make excellent pies. And price wise not bad either, anywhere from $18.00 for a coal oven thin crust cheese pizza to $23.00 for a wood or coal baked margherita. It's not worth it for me to make at home. Now, if I were to move to a place where I cannot get a good quality pie then I would seriously consider homebrewing my own.

Same here. Pizzas (Good ones, but not NYC or Chi-Town style) run about $12 a pie, $23 a sheet (Which feeds a family of 4 for two days, all three meals lol).

KG4CGC
08-18-2011, 09:18 PM
Boboli. Never tried them just like I never thought of bying a flymo.

http://www.crocus.co.uk/images/products2/PR/20/00/00/58/PR2000005809_card2.jpgWhy?

NA4BH
08-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Flymo wreaks of coolness

VE7DCW
08-18-2011, 11:28 PM
Flymo wreaks of coolness

Flymo's are a product of reverse engineering from Area 51 :geek:

kc7jty
08-19-2011, 12:36 AM
Why?

They both fly in the face of intelligent human reasoning.

N2NH
08-19-2011, 04:11 AM
I forget I must use the sarcasmic indentation. I was kidding about Mama Celeste's frozen goom baugh.

oh.

WØTKX
08-19-2011, 10:07 AM
Thin crust, white sauce, greek olives, sundried tomatoes, gyros, and/or a few anchovies. :mrgreen:

W3WN
08-19-2011, 10:28 AM
Thin crust, white sauce, greek olives, sundried tomatoes, gyros, and/or a few anchovies. :mrgreen:

"Ah, I'd like a pizza to go. With no anchovies."
"No anchovies? You've got the wrong man. I spell my name... DANGER!"
<click>
"What?"
FWIW, I have found that most frozen mass produced alleged pizzas can be vastly improved simply by adding extra mozzarella prior to baking or (*gasp!*) microwaving them. They still will have a long way to go, but at least the cardborad will have SOME taste to it. When you're in a pinch, sometimes that's the best thing to do.

WØTKX
08-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Yes, I buy decent frozen pizzas and doctor them up. Feta, Parmesan and olives help a lot.

Papa Murphy take and bake basics are better than frozen, but Nick 'n Willies is a lot better.

kc7jty
08-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Papa Murphy's Irish pizza.

KG4CGC
08-19-2011, 02:20 PM
Papa Murphy's Irish pizza.Has to be better than pizza from, "Famous Potatoes."

W3MIV
08-19-2011, 02:51 PM
The cheapest bread machine out there will turn out a passable pizza crust (from scratch) in about an hour while you do anything else you want. You can make it thin, deep-dish, whatever... and if you line your oven rack with terracotta tiles (I cut mine to fit at Home Deepot on a wet saw fer free), you can do an excellent pizza -- pardon me Will -- 'as you like it.'

Whutz the deal?

n2ize
08-19-2011, 04:59 PM
There are pizza's and there are Pso's.. (Pizza shaped objects). Coming from a "pizza blessed" land I am spoiled. :-D

n2ize
08-19-2011, 05:01 PM
And dont'a you forget.

When-a the moon hits a your eye
Like a bigga pizza pie
That's Amore !!

NA4BH
08-19-2011, 05:57 PM
And dont'a you forget.
That's Amore !!

That's an eel

http://optempo.com/images/eel.jpg

kc7jty
08-19-2011, 07:24 PM
When-a the moon hits a your eye
Like a bigga pizza pie
That's Amore !!
http://www.tradebit.com/usr/backingtracks4u/pub/9002/dean-martinPic.jpg

n2ize
08-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Dino RULES !!!

Scuuza me back in ol' Napoli that's Amore.

BTW I hear that Pizza Naploletana is awesome !!

kb2vxa
08-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Only if it's in Napoli. Funny how pizza originated in New York, mutated when it hit the shores of Italy and every region from Tuscany to Sicily has it's "home grown" variety. Well like they say, teachizone, not to be confused with calzone, Calderon, Corleone or Mama Leone.

Hey, iffa you no lika da pizza...
What's-a matter you, hey, gotta no respect
What-a you t'ink you do, why you look-a so sad
It's-a not so bad, it's-a nice-a place
Ah, shaddapa you face!

WØTKX
08-20-2011, 10:30 AM
http://www.goofspot.com/bamboo/images/cvr_silencers.jpg

W1GUH
08-22-2011, 07:33 AM
"Everybody loves somebody sometime"

"Ain't that a kick in the head"

"Welcome to my world"

Dino ruled!

W1GUH
08-22-2011, 07:36 AM
That's an eel

http://optempo.com/images/eel.jpg

The things google-fu can turn up...

Moray Eel Torpedo Hunts Swimmers (http://gizmodo.com/5241731/moray-eel-torpedo-hunts-swimmers)

Wonder if those torpedos are related to the talking eel in Mason & Dixon by Pynchon?

W3WN
08-22-2011, 12:36 PM
Only if it's in Napoli. Funny how pizza originated in New York, mutated when it hit the shores of Italy and every region from Tuscany to Sicily has it's "home grown" variety. < snip >Wikipedia's history of pizza (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_pizza)disagrees with that.

They put the origin squarely in the Middle East, and the early version of what we now know as a pizza pie in Naples.

kb2vxa
08-22-2011, 01:55 PM
Of course, it all depends on what you call pizza, any flatbread with or without topping qualifies in some circles. Since it simply means pie in English even a failed cake would be pizza. Napoli? Uh uh, let's look a bit closer at Pisa and a famous physics experiment when Sir Fig of Newton dropped an iron cannonball and a pie from atop that famous leaning tower. While the cannonball emerged unscathed from a little hole in the ground the pie didn't fare so well, it flattened and spread out with a resounding SPLAT. In an attempt to salvage an otherwise useful pie and hungry as he was Sir Fig covered it with tomato sauce and cheese and put it back in the oven. What emerged was such a tasty delight it soon caught on but with such a crowd atop the tower it almost fell over so it was decided that another approach was needed and eventually the the more or less modern Pisa pizza was born. Small problem, it sounds so much like a stutter the Pisa was dropped by everyone, except for Little Caesar that is.

In commemoration someone in Des Moines back in the 1960s opened The Leaning Tower of Pizza restaurant and they quickly spread across America. Some still survive but I'm sorry to say the one on Rte. 22 didn't. Frankly I'm surprised Shep overlooked it but really, how COULD he miss such a standout amid the rest of the roadside grubble? I wish I had a picture but I don't, I guess this one somewhere amid the clutter of Americana will have to do.

http://ltpizza.com/

Well, turns out the New Yorker who bragged was wrong but who really wants to argue with attitude? I guess if you listen hard enough you can hear the faint echo of Ensign Pavel Checkoff... "It vass a Russian inwention."

KG4CGC
08-22-2011, 02:07 PM
http://inventors.about.com/od/foodrelatedinventions/a/pizza.htm

Regardless of what historians have put on the web, pizza was invent in 1930s America.

The first pizzeria in North America was opened in 1905 by Gennaro Lombardi at 53 1/3 Spring Street in New York City.
The first "Pizza Hut" a chain of pizza restaurants appeared in the United States during the 1930s

n2ize
08-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Of course, it all depends on what you call pizza, any flatbread with or without topping qualifies in some circles. Since it simply means pie in English even a failed cake would be pizza. Napoli? Uh uh, let's look a bit closer at Pisa and a famous physics experiment when Sir Fig of Newton dropped an iron cannonball and a pie from atop that famous leaning tower. While the cannonball emerged unscathed from a little hole in the ground the pie didn't fare so well, it flattened and spread out with a resounding SPLAT. In an attempt to salvage an otherwise useful pie and hungry as he was Sir Fig covered it with tomato sauce and cheese and put it back in the oven. What emerged was such a tasty delight it soon caught on but with such a crowd atop the tower it almost fell over so it was decided that another approach was needed and eventually the the more or less modern Pisa pizza was born. Small problem, it sounds so much like a stutter the Pisa was dropped by everyone, except for Little Caesar that is.

In commemoration someone in Des Moines back in the 1960s opened The Leaning Tower of Pizza restaurant and they quickly spread across America. Some still survive but I'm sorry to say the one on Rte. 22 didn't. Frankly I'm surprised Shep overlooked it but really, how COULD he miss such a standout amid the rest of the roadside grubble? I wish I had a picture but I don't, I guess this one somewhere amid the clutter of Americana will have to do.

http://ltpizza.com/

Well, turns out the New Yorker who bragged was wrong but who really wants to argue with attitude? I guess if you listen hard enough you can hear the faint echo of Ensign Pavel Checkoff... "It vass a Russian inwention."

Didn't Shep do a whole thing on Route 1 ?? The Diner. The abandoned drive in and other odyssey's ?

WØTKX
08-27-2011, 02:58 PM
Uh uh, let's look a bit closer at Pisa and a famous physics experiment when Sir Fig of Newton dropped an iron cannonball and a pie from atop that famous leaning tower.

[pizza breath]Galileo did it.[/pizza breath]

KG4CGC
08-27-2011, 05:52 PM
[pizza breath]Galileo did it.[/pizza breath]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWubhw8SoBE