PDA

View Full Version : Motorola bought by Google...

W3MIV
08-15-2011, 09:27 AM
Hello.

Motorola Mobile has been bought by Google.
How will this affect black ops in Texass?
Will Google now sue Rudi?

W1GUH
08-15-2011, 09:32 AM
And two way radios will now run Chrome.

NQ6U
08-15-2011, 09:34 AM
Hello.

Motorola Mobile has been bought by Google.
How will this affect black ops in Texass?
Will Google now sue Rudi?

Hello.

Google will not sue Hajji Rudi.
They have sent him to Saudi Arabia to repair the APU on the company Bell 47.

N8YX
08-15-2011, 10:56 AM
He better not key up the Thales any time soon.

W3WN
08-15-2011, 11:11 AM
Not to worry. They didn't buy all of Motorola, just the cell phone division that got spun off last year.

No Google black helicopters for Rudi!

W1GUH
08-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Not to worry. They didn't buy all of Motorola, just the cell phone division that got spun off last year.

That could be good news. The RAZR, while in production, was one of the best of that generation cell phone. Hope they've got plans to sell a RAZR to compete with the current crop of so-called "smart" phones. The RAZR got a lot of things exactly right.

W3MIV
08-15-2011, 12:53 PM
The iPhone gets all of them better.

n6hcm
08-17-2011, 04:00 AM
i wonder what'll happen to vertex standard/yaesu now ... they joined the moto fold last year.

KC2UGV
08-17-2011, 06:12 AM
i wonder what'll happen to vertex standard/yaesu now ... they joined the moto fold last year.

Imagine an FT-2000 running Android OS :lol:

W3WN
08-17-2011, 08:57 AM
i wonder what'll happen to vertex standard/yaesu now ... they joined the moto fold last year.Yes, but the cell phone part of Motorola was spun out of Moto World last year to be a separate company, and that's the entity that Google bought. Shouldn't affect VS/Y at all.

W1GUH
08-17-2011, 09:15 AM
The iPhone gets all of them better.

No key cover or screen protector. Could never just "shove it in my pocket" without scratching the screen or disconnecting a call while pulling it out because the "answer" button gets pushed twice. As for all the "fanciness" of the whiz-bang OS and all the bajillions of apps....no comment. Usually when I'm not near a computer I'm far more focused on the real world around me including all the irrational, smelly, noisy, fellow human beings (that I love)tryin' to get through life without screwing up too badly. I bury my head in my little toy as little as possible.

W3WN
08-17-2011, 11:17 AM
Is it my imagination, or has the cell phone, design & appearance wise, moved from a replica (of sorts) of a Star Trek Communicator towards a replica (of sorts) of the Star Trek (TNG) Tricorder?

And does anyone in the industry give a royalty to Gene Roddenberry's estate? (Nah)

W1GUH
08-17-2011, 11:22 AM
Seems the RAZR/Communicator (no...definitely NOT the "Great Comm...") is almost exact.

And today, one could strap a phone to one's wrist and make it a Dick Tracy "wrist two-way TV".

WV6Z
12-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Well lookie what I decided to dredge up! xD

Sheryl and I upgraded our phones just before fate caught up with us again and we are now both running /\/\otoDroidX2's. After careful consideration and mooching through all that our carrier had for sale, this was the one we decided on. Unemployed, under employed or just because we are cheap skates anyway, was the primary deciding factor in our selection of the X2. We saw the iPhone 4s in both black and white flavors as well as actually getting to play with the new /\/\oto RAZR for about a half of an hour each (ummmm, yeah, we had time to kill before Thanksgiving was upon us). Look, I know that playing with such toys for about 30 minutes is not enough time to do any real stuff with them but these are my humble findings and experiences never the less.

iPhone 4s....... does not appear to be capable in any fashion or form from doing anything mind boggling over the 16g iTouch that I had in 2008. Yeah, blasphemy i know and I really 'wanted' it to do or be something more than an iTouch with a 4G phone and a damned nice camera. Sorry Albi, I really gave it an honest effort to impress me but alas, it was not meant to be (it was, however, 'the other phone' that we could have grabbed up with our $50 each predetermined by us spending limit we imposed upon ourselves).

The 'NEW' /\/\oto RAZR...... very impressive, not just in the sense that it is no longer a slim flip phone that is int3rWebz capable, but just because it is also a 4G phone, that like the /\/\otoDroidX2, is quite impressive..... screen on the RAZR is a tad bit bigger, does 1080p rather than than 720p that the X2 does and is insanely tough (Kevlar / Gorilla Glass construction) and more insanely 'slim' than can be imagined until you hold one. Hard to believe that this thing really is supposed to be as tough as a damned old Astro Saber, but, apparently it is. The RAZR would have cost us right at $350 each with discounts....... this quickly reduced is total coolness factor to zilch.

So, to make a long assed post in Lazarus fashion even longer...... iPhone and RAZR are cool as heck, but, as a selection that is affordable was the primary goal for us, I retired my Blackberry Curve II and Sheryl retired her horrible little LG or Samsung texting phone for a pair of X2s. I have had a blast with mine, loading it up with all kinds of crap and Sheryl has mastered the art of touch screen phone use and has done a better job than I at coping with various auto correct features.

I have downloaded the Echolink app and it works flawlessly and I actually paid for an app the first time two days ago....... forking over $4.49 sheckles, i think it was, for APRSDroid. APRSDroid is absolutely the most bloody brilliant thing I have ever seen..... better than Crackle and Netflix and even more awesome than the DirecTV remote control app. In short, it's been a fun three weeks for the both of us and in the long....... 3G and WiFi seems to suit us fine. I don't think Anderson, SC is even slated to get 4G service until January 2012, so there is little we can compare the actual 'feel' of 4G vs. 3G to anyway. Driving to Athens or Atlanta..... or Clemson (ummmm, yeah, really....... there is some 'Oh No Shit!' factor in there somewhere) to Greenville to try it out did not snag us in for devices beyond our DroidX2s capabilities.

So, either via forking over a king's ransom, or through upgrades stretching out service contracts for an extra couple of years, what have you guys decided to run or upgrade to lately and what are your reviews of your new toys?

Oh and PS...... I think I only played Angry Birds on mine for about 5 minutes and Sheryl hasn't even opened the app on hers at all yet........ I did play with Contract Killer: Zombies (NR) for about a week, but have since deleted it out of lack of anything other than initial interest.

WV6Z
12-04-2011, 12:28 PM
Oh, I in no way was trying to insinuate that the X2 is a 4G phone, it is not, it is just the next beastie 'down' in the /\/\oto line up. I was simply making the insinuation that the DroidX2 is an awesomely cool device as it the RAZR.....

NQ6U
12-04-2011, 12:36 PM
I've got a second generation iPhone (iPhone 3G) that's gotten pretty beat up by the abuse I've heaped on it over the last three and a half years so I'm looking for a new one. I like the 4S but not the $200 +2 year contract so I'm thinking about going with the previous generation, the iPhone 4, instead. It's a big step up from what I've got at only half the price.

n2ize
12-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Lets see. Google owns Motorola, Motorola owns Vertex, Vertex owns Yaesu therefore Google owns Yaesu. Does this mean that my next HT will run on Chrome and require an Internet connection ?

WV6Z
12-04-2011, 12:53 PM
iPhones are as cool as heck without a doubt....... I failed to make any mention of 'that other operating system'........ Windoze...... it's not that I avoided them, or it in any way while we were shopping, I just didn't see them so I guess that is likely because there was nothing there (at the Verizon Store) to jump out and bite me.

I used to be dead set, to a fault, against 'contracts' and having bait dangled in front of me to ensnare me. I am now at the point where, after dealing with cell phone services and ISPs to the point where I am really tired of it over the years, hell, I have to subscribe to someone for something so, WTF, might as well be Verizon for 2 more years...... they are all the same old shit these days...... with the exception of pay as you go stuff which really is cheaper, but frankly, I have other stuff to occupy my shopping time with I guess. Besides, the 'hind tit' sucking 2nd rate carriers just seem to be a big disappointment to everyone I run across (T-Maybe and Boost Mobile Crack Dealer fonz immediately come to mind)..... also, I'm just not quite used to the idea of AT&T being a 'real' cell phone service provider for some reason yet, which cuts my potential providers being Sprint...... again...... or staying with Verizon who we went to 2 years ago to get away from Sprint's 2nd rate service.

Whichever way you go, it's apples vs. apples with cell phone providers just as it is with ISPs...... if you are going to tweak their nipples for discounts, don't let your mouth overload your ass or you may be forced to actually use the shitty provider that you claim is going to be your godsend...... been there, done that. xD

WV6Z
12-04-2011, 12:54 PM
Lets see. Google owns Motorola, Motorola owns Vertex, Vertex owns Yaesu therefore Google owns Yaesu. Does this mean that my next HT will run on Chrome and require an Internet connection ?

Yes....... yes it does....... but you will be able access your G+ page by hitting the G+ button on the front of your VX-3r and watching it convert voice to text while you do so. xD

NQ6U
12-04-2011, 12:57 PM

I think that Google bought only the mobile phone division of Motorola, not the entire company.

W3MIV
12-04-2011, 02:51 PM
When I bought my iPhone from Verizon, the sales clerk installed a tough polymer screen protector -- took him all of five minutes to squeegee it in place on the touchscreen. He then gave me a packet containing two additional such protectors and the cardboard squeegee (which would never survive another attempt like that of this virtuoso's diligent ejection of the tiniest bubble.