PDA

View Full Version : People have started giving me stuff

NQ6U
08-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Apparently, people have taken my interest in Drake equipment to mean that I'm interested in old radios of all kinds. Well, that's not so much the case but when someone wanted to lay a thing like this on me:

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/SkyChampion.jpg

I couldn't say no. This thing weighs enough that it could actually function as a boat anchor, BTW.

WØTKX
08-12-2011, 12:04 PM
A little on the heavy side, but cute with nice knobs.

Ohh, check out those sideways toggles. Kinky. :mrgreen:

KG4CGC
08-12-2011, 01:14 PM
What a classic piece. If that was an chick, .......... oh never mind.

ki4itv
08-12-2011, 01:19 PM
I'd fondle those knobs.

KK4AMI
08-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Keep it for the impending Nuclear War. Not only will the tubes withstand EMP, but the bulk of that radio will work better then a lead lining at blocking radiation. It is pretty!

KE6LYU
08-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Not only will the tubes withstand EMP, but the bulk of that radio will work better then a lead lining at blocking radiation.
Love that post!
What is your secret? I want free radio`s
Lol
Nice!

Jeff

K7SGJ
08-12-2011, 04:16 PM
What a classic piece. If that was an chick, .......... oh never mind.

She would be very old, with a wrinkle finish, all over. But it is true, nice knobs.

N8YX
08-12-2011, 05:12 PM
Look for an SX-28 with the panadapter unit. Maybe an HT-4E transmitter to go with it. You're talking vintage tooobey AM at that point. :yes:

NQ6U
08-14-2011, 08:14 PM
Got the radio fired up yesterday after replacing the dial cord on the main tuning with some braided Dacron fishing line (it's smaller in diameter than the original cotton cord but it worked—after several tries, anyhow. I'm glad the S 20B has a relatively simple set-up compared to some of those old Hallicrafters radios); it's got some power supply hum so I guess I'm going to have recap it one of these days but it's listenable. I tuned into the Padres game and listened to them get their asses kicked by the Reds; an inauspicious first test of the radio to be sure.

WØTKX
08-14-2011, 09:15 PM
I think the Cubbies have a better record than the Colorado Rockies this year.

w2amr
08-15-2011, 04:34 AM
Got the radio fired up yesterday after replacing the dial cord on the main tuning with some braided Dacron fishing line (it's smaller in diameter than the original cotton cord but it worked—after several tries, anyhow. I'm glad the S 20B has a relatively simple set-up compared to some of those old Hallicrafters radios); it's got some power supply hum so I guess I'm going to have recap it one of these days but it's listenable. I tuned into the Padres game and listened to them get their asses kicked by the Reds; an inauspicious first test of the radio to be sure.Check to see if it is fused . If I remember right, many of the Hallicrafter receivers had no fuses, they also had weak power transformers. Bad combination. BTW, great find.

K7SGJ
08-15-2011, 08:50 AM
If you run across an RME 84, let me know. I located one in Seattle a few months back, but he wouldn't ship. It was my first receiver. A real POS, but at the time, and to a 12 yo kid, it was golden.

NQ6U
08-15-2011, 09:29 AM
I think the Cubbies have a better record than the Colorado Rockies this year.

And the Rockies have a better record than the Padres. But in any case, it just seems so...right to listen to a ballgame on a tube receiver.