PDA

View Full Version : The Top 100 Science-Fiction/Fantasy Books (NPR Audience Poll)

N2NH
08-12-2011, 12:02 AM
Pretty good selection through the top 15... although even though I'm a Tolkien fan, I doubt if Lord of the Rings should be numero uno on the list...

More than 5,000 of you nominated (http://www.npr.org/2011/06/24/137249678/best-science-fiction-fantasy-books-you-tell-us). More than 60,000 of you voted (http://www.npr.org/2011/08/02/138894873/vote-for-top-100-science-fiction-fantasy-titles). And now the results are in. The winners of NPR's Top 100 Science-Fiction and Fantasy survey are an intriguing mix of classic and contemporary titles. Over on NPR's pop culture blog, Monkey See, you can find one fan's thoughts (http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2011/08/10/139346998/nprs-top-100-science-fiction-and-fantasy-novels-poll-parsing-the-results) on how the list shaped up, get our experts' take, and have the chance to share your own.

A quick word about what's here, and what's not: Our panel of experts (http://www.npr.org/2011/08/02/138894873/vote-for-top-100-science-fiction-fantasy-titles#panel) reviewed hundreds of the most popular nominations and tossed out those that didn't fit the survey's criteria (after — we assure you — much passionate, thoughtful, gleefully nerdy discussion). You'll notice there are no young adult or horror books on this list, but sit tight, dear reader, we're saving those genres for summers yet to come.

So, at last, here are your favorite science-fiction and fantasy novels. (And a printable version (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=139248590), to take with you to the bookstore.)

The Top 100 Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books as per NPR Listeners.

( (http://www.npr.org/2011/08/11/139085843/your-picks-top-100-science-fiction-fantasy-books?ps=cprs)Why don't those Right Wing Media types do one of these? Oh, right, books...) :mrgreen:

N8YX
08-12-2011, 07:11 AM
I've read most of those and agree with your thoughts on Lord of The Rings. Further, IMHO none of the witchcraft-themed novels should have made the list as they're in a genre unto themselves.

Conspicuously absent is Greg Bear's "Eternity", as are any of "The Stainless Steel Rat" series by Harry Harrison - simply fun material to read. John Varley ("Titan, Wizard, Demon" trilogy) should definitely have made the top 25. Very dark, gritty stuff...and he illustrates it very well.

KC2UGV
08-12-2011, 08:09 AM
I'm wondering why "Going Rogue" didn't win. It's pure fantasy.

WØTKX
08-12-2011, 08:52 AM
I tend to ignore the Fantasy realm, prefer the Science Fiction... and I've read most of them on the list.

That being said, the list is pretty good. I might have put Ender's Game at the top of the list.

Surprised that David Brin's excellent works didn't make it. And what? No Spider Robinson? Oh well.

KJ3N
08-12-2011, 10:40 AM
I'm wondering why "Going Rogue" didn't win. It's pure fantasy.

That would put it in the Religious section.

W3WN
08-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Stranger in a Strange Land was #17? That low?
Contact was #50?

They're kidding... both should be rated MUCH higher.

The Princess Bride, much as I loved the novel & the movie, was #11?
The Forever War, again much as I enjoyed it, even made the list?
Conan? CONAN?
Wicked?

There are some real strange entries on this list, I'll tell you.

WØTKX
08-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Yea, at least they did one. It's about time for me to catchup on SF, and I might
buy a Kindle and download them instead of buying paperbacks on sale.

There's about 400 paperbacks here. Yikes.

ka4dpo
08-12-2011, 03:56 PM
I highly distrust anything that comes from NPR. That's only because I don't trust NPR.....

Did I mention that I don't trust NPR?

WØTKX
08-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Wait wait, don't tell me. Not even Guy Noir?http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5EBUctoODq4ASvDlQ9wF8fxvuu8QEz nXW2oRYlw0xcbkEejv6Gg

kb2vxa
08-12-2011, 06:30 PM
OK, plenty of sci-fi but what happened to the fantasy? Not one mention of any work of Stephen R. Donaldson, not even one of The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant series.

N8YX
08-12-2011, 06:54 PM
Anyone here read Jack L. Chalker?

N2NH
08-12-2011, 09:29 PM
I didn't see "The Martian Way" by Issac Asimov, nor did I see "2001: A Space Odessey" by Arthur C. Clarke, both excellent. While I'm a trekker, I didn't see any of the many pulp Star Trek books which would easily qualify under Sci-Fi and Fantasy.

Noting: NOTHING from Harlan Ellison? NOTHING from Frederick Pohl?

Something fishy here and it ain't Bachmann's knickers either.

VK3ZL
08-13-2011, 06:56 AM
OK, plenty of sci-fi but what happened to the fantasy? Not one mention of any work of Stephen R. Donaldson, not even one of The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant series.

Pity that Steven Donaldson's Gap series is not included there....To my mind it was one of the best sci-fi works I have read in years....I am an avid reader of sci-fi and fantasy and have read most of those listed...I actually have a hardback library of many of the mentioned author's...I used to collect most of the better writers works..These days I always look through the bookshops and note anything new and get it from the library...

Bob..VK3ZL..

ad4mg
08-13-2011, 07:16 AM
I was personally pleased to see my favorite author, Stephen King, represented twice. His "Dark Tower" series was an interesting, but frustrating read, as he spent quite a while completing the story due to the accident he suffered when he was hit by a van. Many fans were disappointed by the ending, but I thought it was vintage King, and expected no less.

"The Stand" was an excellent read, but the mini-series, produced for TV, was hideous.

N8YX
08-13-2011, 07:37 AM
"The Stand" was an excellent read, but the mini-series, produced for TV, was hideous.
Ditto The Tommyknockers.

Whomever cast Traci Lords as "Becka" seriously needs his or her ass whipped. King's depiction of her character in the book is diametrically opposite Lords' "force my lines through a tube!" style of delivery.

NQ6U
08-13-2011, 12:17 PM
I was personally pleased to see my favorite author, Stephen King, represented twice. His "Dark Tower" series was an interesting, but frustrating read, as he spent quite a while completing the story due to the accident he suffered when he was hit by a van. Many fans were disappointed by the ending, but I thought it was vintage King, and expected no less.

I like King but I stopped reading him a while back. In my opinion, he invariably blows the ending of his stories. The Stand was a perfect example of that.

WØTKX
08-13-2011, 01:03 PM
Anyone here read Jack L. Chalker?

Heh. I used to use "Nathan Brazil" as an alias on the net in a few places. ;)

About half of his stuff... his earliest chronologically. He really got into the premise of a book "series".

So, backatcha... David Brin's Uplift series? Anyone?

NQ6U
08-13-2011, 01:38 PM
David Brin's Uplift series? Anyone?

That's the one about Wonderbras, right?

WØTKX
08-14-2011, 02:11 PM
http://www.davidbrin.com/infinitysshore1.htm

W3WN
08-14-2011, 08:54 PM
Anyone here read Jack L. Chalker?Now that's a name I haven't come across for quite awhile. I was sorry to hear he passed on a few years back. (Congestive heart failure)

I really enjoyed Midnight at the Well of Souls, but the sequels... no.

N2NH
08-15-2011, 12:30 AM
I didn't see one of my favorite writers there either. Jack Finney who wrote the "historical" novel, "Time and Again" and the sequel "From Time to Time." These two are some of the best time travel books of all time since it is based on places and even people that actually existed (with pictures too).

N8YX
08-15-2011, 11:36 AM
I really enjoyed Midnight at the Well of Souls, but the sequels... no.

All I wanted was a Fluxwife but I ended up with a Morgaine who thinks she's Matson... :roll:

W3WN
08-17-2011, 01:48 PM
All I wanted was a Fluxwife but I ended up with a Morgaine who thinks she's Matson... :roll:'m telling 'DSG what you said, you naughty boy. (Or does she already know this?)

N8YX
08-19-2011, 12:37 PM
'm telling 'DSG what you said, you naughty boy. (Or does she already know this?)

She would if she'd read those paperbacks I have on hand but I get the feeling that Chalker would be classed a sexist arsehole less than one chapter in...and wouldn't merit further consideration.

WØTKX
08-19-2011, 01:34 PM
Heh. So would Pohl. All those issues Robin had with S. Ya. Lavorovna-Broadhead.

Getting caught up in dangerous Heechee stuff. ;)

Most girls don't like S.F. anyway.