PDA

View Full Version : Storm Damage.

koØm
08-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Forget about the 24 bottle case of beer:

Question: What do you consider to be decent prices (Low-ball and Professional) to remove a 70 foot Rohn tower topped with a 6 element Yagi whos elements are about 18 feet long and, to put it back in the air after storm damage? Comments and considerations welcome.

N8YX
08-10-2011, 04:56 PM
How badly damaged are the antenna and tower? Safe to climb and gin-pole apart or will a crane have to be used?

koØm
08-10-2011, 09:08 PM
How badly damaged are the antenna and tower? Safe to climb and gin-pole apart or will a crane have to be used?

The tower is safe, I climbed it. All guy wires are attatched and it does not need to come down, the owner was in a panic; the beam was hit by flying debris and, the gears / brake in the CDE are stripped.

Let me rephrase the question: What's a good price to pay a young fellow to climb 70 feet to pull and replace the Yagi Antenna with the broken elements.

N8YX
08-11-2011, 03:26 AM
Let me rephrase the question: What's a good price to pay a young fellow to climb 70 feet to pull and replace the Yagi Antenna with the broken elements.

I have a friend (ham buddy) who does this sort of thing commercially. Let me run the question by him and see what the going rate is.

AA4HA
08-15-2011, 10:18 AM
I make use of professional tower climbers quite frequently on the commercial systems I work on. It is going to be a crew of two to three people and take at least a full day of labor to remove the antenna and to take the tower down, section by section with a gin pole. If there is even the slightest thought that there may be any sort of damage to the structure then a competent crew will insist on using a crane to take the tower down in several big pieces and lay them down on the ground.

For commercial services down in the southeast US the cost would be somewhere between $1000 to $3000.

If there are nearby structures (or overhead wires/ utilities) then the cost is going to go up quite a bit. It is not just tied to the hours spent on the job but the professional liability, danger factor for the crew and the complexity of the removal.

Tisha Hayes, AA4HA

WØTKX
08-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Of course I'd never get permission to take it off the property, but we might actually get budget approval for a 140' crane truck at work. Because it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the 125' bucket truck being considered.

I'm gonna get a big kick outa going up in a swinging cage to fix stuff, and stuff.

As soon as my boss showed me the pictures, I told him was gonna borrow it some weekend. :mrgreen:

NQ6U
08-15-2011, 07:02 PM
At my last place of employment, we had a 90' bucket. I was always looking for excuses to use it for something.