PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my first (Of 4) Cuban QSL cards

KC2UGV
08-10-2011, 07:31 AM
Day before yesterday, I finally got the first of 4 QSL cards from Cuba! Now, I recall someone stating that is would take forever, but they usually do come.

6 months later, I got it. Pretty nifty, if plain card, but for me, the Cuba station card itself (Not the design) was the goal :)

Maybe I'll get DXCC in about 20 years or so :-D

PA5COR
08-10-2011, 08:58 AM
Congrats ;)
Stilol waiting for mine, must be snail mail...

KC2UGV
08-10-2011, 09:09 AM
Yes, it appears the snail mail is really snail's pace. I do know the person who QSL'd me, also confirmed via LoTW.

W3WN
08-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Congrats!

Remember tho Corey, US mail to Cuba has to go through other countries due to the diplomatic situation, so it often takes a lot longer.

My best results with QSL'ing Cuban stations has been with those using an overseas manager (Spain comes to mind) or mail drop. But they do get through, sooner or later...

KC2UGV
08-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Congrats!

Remember tho Corey, US mail to Cuba has to go through other countries due to the diplomatic situation, so it often takes a lot longer.

My best results with QSL'ing Cuban stations has been with those using an overseas manager (Spain comes to mind) or mail drop. But they do get through, sooner or later...

Yeah, the diplomatic thing is what I figured too. I don't recall now if he was using a manager... Must remember to keep a look out for that next time :)

KJ3N
08-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Maybe I'll get DXCC in about 20 years or so :-D

:wtf: How long have you been at it so far?

NQ6U
08-10-2011, 11:23 AM
I got a Cuban card a while back. Dig the great political propaganda on the back:

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/co2wl_front.jpg
http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/co2wl_rear.jpg

NA4BH
08-10-2011, 11:29 AM
Hair club for men?

ETA: That's Billy Mays on the left

KC2UGV
08-10-2011, 11:34 AM

I've not really started on it :lol:

KJ3N
08-10-2011, 12:14 PM
I've not really started on it :lol:

Well, if takes that long, you're doing it wrong. ;)

W3WN
08-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Nah. Just wait for 10 and 15 to start opening earlier and stay open longer. Another year or two, Maunder not withstanding, you can work DXCC in a day with a little effort.

W3WN
08-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Well Corey, not to deflate your hopes, but a quick check of the database shows that over the years, I've worked exactly 100 QSOs with Cuban stations (CO, CM & T4... KG4xx excluded, of course :evil: ). Of that group, I have exactly 25 QSLs.

Now the caveat here, of course, is that quite a few of these were contest QSO's that I never requested a QSL from, or sent the request via the buro. And there are a few recent ones I haven't sent for yet as well. So more, no doubt, will trickle in.

But 25% ain't bad. Ain't great, but ain't bad.

KJ3N
08-10-2011, 06:43 PM
Nah. Just wait for 10 and 15 to start opening earlier and stay open longer. Another year or two, Maunder not withstanding, you can work DXCC in a day with a little effort.

Well, as has been pointed out to me, working DXCC is relatively easy. It's the confirmation process that takes some time. ;)

Now, having said that, if I can work 83 entities in a weekend (ARRL DX SSB 2010) with what I have, anyone with a semi-decent antenna should be able to work 100+ in under a year. If it takes longer than that, you've got crap for an antenna, or you just can't find an hour or 2 on the weekends to operate.

JMO

W3WN
08-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Well, as has been pointed out to me, working DXCC is relatively easy. It's the confirmation process that takes some time. ;)

Now, having said that, if I can work 83 entities in a weekend (ARRL DX SSB 2010) with what I have, anyone with a semi-decent antenna should be able to work 100+ in under a year. If it takes longer than that, you've got crap for an antenna, or you just can't find an hour or 2 on the weekends to operate.

JMOYeah, but you live in Delaware, one of the toughest states to work due to it's size. That gives you an extra 6 dB automatically... and DX working on their WAS are looking for you!

KJ3N
08-11-2011, 06:11 AM
Yeah, but you live in Delaware, one of the toughest states to work due to it's size. That gives you an extra 6 dB automatically... and DX working on their WAS are looking for you!

Sorry, but I don't buy that. In the heat of a contest, nobody is checking if I'm from DE or not. DXpeditions aren't keeping track of that, either. I'm just another 3 call in those cases.

Now, if you want to talk about situations like WAS nets like the Century Club, then you have a point. When I used to be on that net, I had them lined up 10+ deep to work me. Went through 500 QSL cards in about 6 weeks. I'll never do that again. :hand:

N8YX
08-11-2011, 07:14 AM
In before all the anti-contest whining.

KC2UGV
08-11-2011, 07:16 AM

JMO

Or, you just really don't care about getting it, so you don't bother logging contacts 90% of the time :lol:

W3WN
08-11-2011, 08:18 AM
Sorry, but I don't buy that. In the heat of a contest, nobody is checking if I'm from DE or not. DXpeditions aren't keeping track of that, either. I'm just another 3 call in those cases.

Now, if you want to talk about situations like WAS nets like the Century Club, then you have a point. When I used to be on that net, I had them lined up 10+ deep to work me. Went through 500 QSL cards in about 6 weeks. I'll never do that again. :hand:Ummm... maybe. Depends on the contest. Sweepstakes, ARRL DX, ARRL 10 meters, ARRL 160 come to mind... your exchange includes your state, right? To say nothing of the cluster posts that will list it.

The Century Club still around? I haven't talked with them in a few years. I somehow torqued off the 40 Meter QSL manager; I don't think he liked WN3 2x3 calls (there was a WN4 2x3 YL in Tennessee, a Doctor as I recall, who had the same issues with him). I'd send in cards & envelopes, never got anything back, and then get told that I was a rotten QSL'er. Or, I'd be waiting on a card, ask for it 3 or 4 times, never get it, and the other station would get irritated with me; the manager would tell me that the cards were there but waiting on the next envelope (and never in it), and tell the other station he sent them. Then one day, after finally getting a direct card with a note of irritation, I get an envelope containing 5 cards from the other guy.

The last time I checked into the 40 meter net under my old call, that manager jumped in after the NCS acknowledged me and chewed me out -- on the air -- for a solid 5 minutes over envelopes and not QSL'ing. And this after I had a signed receipt acknowledging receipt of my last set of SASE's. When he got done with his rant, I simply told the NCS that under the circumstances I'd check out... and I haven't been back since. Haven't seen any cards or envelopes from him since that day either.

W1GUH
08-11-2011, 09:38 AM
What does "59" mean on PSK?

W3WN
08-11-2011, 09:58 AM
What does "59" mean on PSK?Nice hat. Haven't seen him around for awhile.

59 means... nothing on PSK. It's simply a placeholder for the equivalent of a signal report, but on PSK, an RS of 11 will usually still be a workable station.

KC2UGV
08-11-2011, 09:59 AM
What does "59" mean on PSK?

Readability, strength, quality.

KJ3N
08-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Ummm... maybe. Depends on the contest. Sweepstakes, ARRL DX, ARRL 10 meters, ARRL 160 come to mind... your exchange includes your state, right? To say nothing of the cluster posts that will list it.

I think we're talking past each other here. Even if the state is part of the exchange, I still have to get them to respond to my call in the first place. From that perspective, it doesn't matter if I'm from DE. They don't know that until we proceed to the exchange. Working DX depends on getting their attention with a signal first.

The Century Club still around?

They were as of a year ago. I remember tuning past them on 7.178 within the last 12 months.

KJ3N
08-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Or, you just really don't care about getting it, so you don't bother logging contacts 90% of the time :lol:

So, you're taking lessons from me, are you? :lol:

W3WN
08-11-2011, 12:13 PM
I think we're talking past each other here. Even if the state is part of the exchange, I still have to get them to respond to my call in the first place. From that perspective, it doesn't matter if I'm from DE. They don't know that until we proceed to the exchange. Working DX depends on getting their attention with a signal first.< snip >Well, OK, I won't argue the point with you.

However, do keep in mind that there are plenty of databases floating around out there that "aid" contesters by showing calls of stations that operated in contests in the last few years (think of CT's "Super Check Partial" database for one -- and it's used for other apps as well), along with their state, or zone, or other pertinent info. Even their name for some of the sprints that use the ops name as part of the exchange. All to "aid" the operator so that they can pre-fill the info... saving them typing, theoreticaly, but also saves them from the bother of actually copying.

And again, when you are posted on the cluster, the posts often include the state. To say nothing of people who recall where you are.

So it is not out of the realm of possibility that at least some people know where you are before they work you. And at least for those people, well, if they are looking for DE... need I say more?

KC2UGV
08-11-2011, 12:18 PM
So, you're taking lessons from me, are you? :lol:

I log 'em when it's convenient, and given my desk, that's not often :)

KJ3N
08-11-2011, 12:24 PM

You ARE taking lessons from me. Snatch the pebble from my hand, Grasshopper. :lol:

KJ3N
08-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Well, OK, I won't argue the point with you.

Really? :lol:

However, do keep in mind that there are plenty of databases floating around out there that "aid" contesters by showing calls of stations that operated in contests in the last few years (think of CT's "Super Check Partial" database for one -- and it's used for other apps as well), along with their state, or zone, or other pertinent info.

Do those databases rely on submitted logs, or something else? If by submitted logs, then there's no way they know where I'm from. I don't submit any contest logs. The database would have to gleam it from other people's logs, which is certainly possible.

W3WN
08-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Really? :lol:Really. I wasn't arguing, I was explaining where I was coming from. There's a difference. Well, except on the... on other sites.

Do those databases rely on submitted logs, or something else? If by submitted logs, then there's no way they know where I'm from. I don't submit any contest logs. The database would have to gleam it from other people's logs, which is certainly possible.They rely on logs voluntarily submitted by other operators. Not on logs submitted to contest committees. So, if someone worked you in the XYZ contest, and they submitted that log to one of the databases in question, you'd be in it whether you want to be or not.

FWIW, I no longer submit anything, and haven't for years. It sounds like a nice idea, but I've observed that too many lazy contesters rely on what the database says, not on what you actually sent. But that's another story (thread).

W1GUH
08-11-2011, 02:25 PM

And when you're mobile, fuggedaboutit! But, now that I'm about to have really nice QSL cards (just got the file...looking for a printer), I'll have to develop the habit of taking a portable voice recorder for an oral log (:giggity:) so I can get the info at least kinda close to reality.