PDA

View Full Version : IC-765 - talk me into or out of one

N8YX
08-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Been studying the reviews - they get high marks.

Anyone here own or use this radio? If so: How does it compare to the TS-940S, especially in the way of interference-fighting controls? (The '940 has a pretty impressive complement of these...)

Thoughts are to pair a '765 with another R71A at each of my SO2R positions, where a TS-940S/R-5000 currently reside. They'll be slaved together via HRD, N1MM and a few other contest/radio-control programs - just as the Kenwoods are today.

Discuss.

NQ6U
08-09-2011, 05:55 PM
It would depend on how much you have to pay for one.

The thing that concerns me the most is the age—it can be impossible to find certain parts for older Icom rigs. In particular, the rotary encoder on the VFOs of early digital Icom radios are known to lock up and new ones are not available. This is beginning to happen to my IC-736, in fact, so I'm pretty much forced to either use computer control through Ham Radio Deluxe or enter frequencies directly through the keypad.

Another thing that would be a problem for me, although it may not concern you as much, is that the radio doesn't operate on the 6m band. I use 6m quite a lot for local work.

w2amr
08-10-2011, 01:31 PM
Been studying the reviews - they get high marks.

Anyone here own or use this radio? If so: How does it compare to the TS-940S, especially in the way of interference-fighting controls? (The '940 has a pretty impressive complement of these...)

Thoughts are to pair a '765 with another R71A at each of my SO2R positions, where a TS-940S/R-5000 currently reside. They'll be slaved together via HRD, N1MM and a few other contest/radio-control programs - just as the Kenwoods are today.

Discuss.Don't do it, you already have enough radios.

W5GA
08-10-2011, 04:58 PM
The RX is much easier on the ears, as it doesn't have the birdy problems (at least not as bad) as the older Kenwoods do. In a contest scenario, I'd rate the rig about 1/2 notch below my Omni-6+.