PDA

View Full Version : Hey old farts...you seen Dashtoons?

W1GUH
08-09-2011, 12:03 PM
Dashtoons.com (http://www.dashtoons.com/)

If you were a novice and adolescent in the early 60's you have GOT to read his two books, lid, kid, space cadet and Sky Buddies.

He has captured the very essence of what that was like in his words and pix, right down to the core.

Besides that, there's lots of stuff on his web site to have fun with and enjoy.

AND...

That Remco "Radio Station" in my current avatar was my most farvorite toy (after American Flyer Trains, of course) as a kid. Who else had one?

That's from Jeff's Clip Art.

PA5COR
08-09-2011, 01:47 PM
Which Old Fart calls us O.F's??? ;)

W3WN
08-09-2011, 02:12 PM
The two books sound interesting, but damned if I can figure out how to actually order them.

W1GUH
08-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Click on the "Lulu" link in the right bottom corner of the pic of a vintage rig.

Jeff K1NSS
08-10-2011, 05:16 PM
The two books sound interesting, but damned if I can figure out how to actually order them.

W3WN de K1NSS Hiya Slugger! Did you find where to order the books? If not, try this: http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=1351736

es tnx fer the recommendation Gary!

Jeff K1NSS

NQ6U
08-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Hey, two new Jeffs in less than 24 hours! Welcome to the Island, Jeff, I think you'll find the natives friendly, if a little eccentric. Barkeep, bring this gentleman the drink of his choice and put it on my tab.

kb2vxa
08-10-2011, 05:58 PM
Fascinating site, pretty obvious Dash! was all over the New York area and "down the shore" before Sleaseside became a festering boil on the backside of Jersey. Only one problem, Rte. 22 goes west into Pennsylvania and not anywhere near here. One thing Jean never mentioned, it was the longest Radio Row I've ever seen right down to the Collins exchange as I called it at Federated Electronics in Springfield. Cafe Wha? Not on your life, any spot in The Village advertizing on the radio is a hangout for sunshine hippies, IBM corporate types in costume. Nah, late one night I met up with John Kaye and a couple of Steppenwoofehs at The Purple Onion after a gig at the Filmore East and as they say the rest is history.

To wander off just a bit:
That left me and Tesla’s ghost, who was now wearing thinner than door-to-door shoe leather. “So,” he demanded,"who is this MFJ, this imposter who made your puny radio?”
“That stands for the maker's founder,” I replied. “Martin F. Jue, a real ham entrepreneur. Perhaps you invented ham radio sir, but MFJ Martinized it!
That struck a rather non radio chord so I pose a couple of questions just for the heck of it; remember the sign in the shop window "one hour Martinizing" and what sort of business did the shop do?

"That Remco "Radio Station" in my current avatar was my most farvorite toy (after American Flyer Trains, of course) as a kid. Who else had one?"
Ah yes, I had the Caravelle which instantly poisoned my mind leading to a series of bigger and badder transmitters thanks to the Radio Amateur Handbook... heh heh heh. Maybe I shouldn't be so curious and let my fingers wander through the internet, maybe I should have lied, oh woe is me.
http://www.smecc.org/remco_caravelle.htm

Jeff K1NSS
08-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Hey now...mighty obliged! Well, to paraphrase Alice Longworth Roosevelt, should any of you friendly if a little eccentric natives have nothing nice to say about anyone, sit right down with me and I'll buy you a Sasaparilla.

BTW BSO, Far-Flung Islets of Langerhans,eh? Sounds a little Tirebiter-ish if you ask me.

Tnx for the welcome and great Wilson truck picture!

NQ6U
08-10-2011, 06:19 PM
BTW BSO, Far-Flung Islets of Langerhans,eh? Sounds a little Tirebiter-ish if you ask me.

Shoes for Industry, compadre, you got it right.

Jeff K1NSS
08-10-2011, 07:15 PM
Yep, spent much time at the shore and watching too much NJ/NY metro area TV -- as a little kid in Plainfield, often off to Manasquan the 50s. My dad's buddy Abe Smith, Plainfield HS football coach ran the tackle shop in Point Pleasant harbor. In '67 living farther west on 22/78 in Clinton, I was an awful high school rhythm guitar player. Had buddies in bands that played the Chatterbox and Wha? then, while my rock band reality was strictly a Flemington teen club -- but a dude can embroider, can't he?

Springfield where? Federated Electronics rings a muffled bell.

Won't be a Martinizing spoiler, but it is among my all-time favorite signage. I think it was originally a crazy trick invented by a local Mom.

And yes, the Caravelle. Pretty stylish as Remco goes, all Jetsonesque and moderne, yet referencing a highly-maneuverable 16th century Portuguese sailing ship for that extra touch of Old Worlde Class.

Tip o' the phones to you, GOB.

73 Jeff K1NSS & Dash!

KG4CGC
08-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Hey now...mighty obliged! Well, to paraphrase Alice Longworth Roosevelt, should any of you friendly if a little eccentric natives have nothing nice to say about anyone, sit right down with me and I'll buy you a Sasaparilla.

Welcome to the Island!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/boat_drinks.jpg

Jeff K1NSS
08-10-2011, 07:29 PM
PS kb2vxa -- John Kaye, the Purple Onion, look at you! Did you play the Filmore East? Are you Joe Walsh?

Better stay tuned to Love Shack because the Philmore East eventually figures into our fateful mash-up of sixties rock 'n ham radio.

N8YX
08-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Jeff - welcome to our humble abode.

The mahi are biting but the beaches have crabs. Or so we're told...

Jeff K1NSS
08-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Hi N8YX, thanks for the cautionary greeting!

Your profile toon's lines look like those of Bill Watterson, what beautiful work he does. Looks good

N8YX
08-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Your profile toon's lines look like those of Bill Watterson, what beautiful work he does did.

Gone, but definitely not forgotten. I don't know if he's done anything since stopping the C&H bit. Arguably the best strip in the newspaper; everything else is a waste of ink.

suddenseer
08-10-2011, 08:10 PM
^Bloom County would be a close second^

Jeff K1NSS
08-10-2011, 08:18 PM
Cheers OM! 4485

kb2vxa
08-10-2011, 08:23 PM
"BTW BSO, Far-Flung Islets of Langerhans,eh? Sounds a little Tirebiter-ish if you ask me."
We're all Bozos on this bus.

"Springfield where?"
Between Painfield and Onion (Plainfield and Union).

"Federated Electronics rings a muffled bell."
22E. and Fadem Road across the highway from Route Electronics and a tad west of Disco (Electronics), Joe would have been right at home on Cortland St.

"My dad's buddy Abe Smith, Plainfield HS football coach ran the tackle shop in Point Pleasant harbor."
Still there looking out on the inlet next to Coast Guard Station Manasquan.

"Won't be a Martinizing spoiler, but it is among my all-time favorite signage."
Like Delaney and Bonny sang, only you know and I know, but let's see if anyone else remembers it. (;->)

"And yes, the Caravelle ... a highly-maneuverable 16th century Portuguese sailing ship..."
Eh, let's call it a highly maneuverable 20th century pirate ship with modular... er... electronics.

"Tip o' the phones to you, GOB."
Yeah, those hi-Z Brush cans had phono tips.

"PS kb2vxa -- John Kaye, the Purple Onion, look at you!"
Every time I do I see the title given me by popular Island vote you see right under my callsign and above my rather egotistical avatar.

"Did you play the Filmore East?"
No, occasionally I played AT the Fillmore in a highly stoned condition.

"Are you Joe Walsh?"
Life's been good to me so far... but not THAT good.

Welcome to the Island and by the looks of things you're just enough of a Misfit to fit in if that makes any sense. Not to worry if it doesn't, neither do we and we don't even try. Come to think of it, if Jean Shepherd had a website yours would be it. "Speaking of Amateur Radio, this is WOR New York."

Jeff K1NSS
08-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Newspaper strips are funny, that is they were called the funnies but I never found them so. Strange and fascinating, yes. My taste as a kid skewed real old, like Our Boarding House with Major Hoople, Out Our Way, Smokey Stover, and the weird Little King. For funny, I read Mad. For weird, I always had my elbows in newspaper ink. Anyone remember Eraserhead/Blue Velvet David Lynch's Angriest Dog in the World? It ran in a lot of alternative weeklies in the 80s, exactly the same frames every week. Only the minimal dialogue changed in the balloons, a few absurdisms, which Lynch phoned in once a week. It's what newspaper strips have always been, pretty much, worry beads for the eyes, comforting because they never change.

W3WN
08-10-2011, 08:36 PM

Tnx for the welcome and great Wilson truck picture!You ain't got no friends on your left (you're right!)

Jeff K1NSS
08-10-2011, 08:38 PM
Sound off!

W3WN
08-10-2011, 08:41 PM
W3WN de K1NSS Hiya Slugger! Did you find where to order the books? If not, try this: http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=1351736

es tnx fer the recommendation Gary!

Jeff K1NSSI'll see your 6SJ7 and raise you a 6L6GT, 117N7GT, and a couple of cold 807's.

However, I don't have any ebook readers, so I guess I'm just going to have to order the one print one and see how it goes...

...and no wise cracks about Route 22. It's very comforting to know that it's only a few miles from the house, and if I ever needed it to, it would take me back home. Of course, that segment of the highway is actually Route 22-30, and anyone from the land of Route One - Nine understands...

Jeff K1NSS
08-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Best NAB peanut butter crackers I ate in my life I ate in that tackle shop. Coach Smith also taught me how to swim, a great guy.

Between Plainfield and Union...from Jersey days, an image of Federated Electronics might lie somewhere deep in my cerebral cortex, back where the concrete deer, plastic antelope and empty cans of Super Koola play, the Ship sinks into a winedark sea of crumbling blacktop, and Officer Joe Bolton, out of uniform, forever reads the Tastycake News. Oh the hamanity!

Jeff K1NSS
08-10-2011, 09:12 PM
Kind words, thx GOB. I'll think I'll misfit right in.

Jeff K1NSS
08-10-2011, 09:37 PM
Almost everything I needed to know I learned from Route 22. Two Guys, Best and Company, Bowcraft, the Windmill Driving Range, Opdykes, Painting's Fun with Cook and Dunn. I learned that when we passed the Planter's store, Mister Peanut was not actually waving at me personally, more to mankind in the immediate vicinity, like the Pope or the Queen.

I'll see all those valves and raise you a Compactron, a Nuvistor and a Gammatron.

Which leads to a story of the hamfest where I ran into W1GUH. I was talking to a ham about my age who mentioned growing up in Skaneateles, New York. How about that, I said, one of the characters in my second book grew up in Skeaneatles and was the first kid in town to run push-pull Gammatrons.

The OM replied, quite matter-of-factly, I ran Gammatrons, but never push-pull.

Semi-synchronicity man, we're up to our ankles in it.

Jeff K1NSS
08-10-2011, 09:42 PM
Forgot to mention, you can download a little free app from Adobe to read the ebooks on mac or pc.http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/

NA4BH
08-10-2011, 09:44 PM
Almost everything I needed to know I learned from Route 22. Two Guys, Best and Company, Bowcraft, the Windmill Driving Range, Opdykes, Painting's Fun with Cook and Dunn. I learned that when we passed the Planter's store, Mister Peanut was not actually waving at me personally, more to mankind in the immediate vicinity, like the Pope or the Queen.

I'll see all those valves and raise you a Compactron, a Nuvistor and a Gammatron.

Which leads to a story of the hamfest where I ran into W1GUH. I was talking to a ham about my age who mentioned growing up in Skaneateles, New York. How about that, I said, one of the characters in my second book grew up in Skeaneatles and was the first kid in town to run push-pull Gammatrons.

The OM replied, quite matter-of-factly, I ran Gammatrons, but never push-pull.

Semi-synchronicity man, we're up to our ankles in it.

OK, somebody has to put an end to this........

First off, you never admit that you know/have met/owed money to/or had relations with W1GUH. :rofl:

Second, the Peanut was waving to you and you alone. If otherwise thought, go back and kick that Peanuts ass.

Third, WELCOME to the ISLAND :clap:

Jeff K1NSS
08-10-2011, 10:11 PM
1. W who?

2. Fark the Peanut!

3. You amuse me like a Padrino, Grazie Mille.

N2NH
08-11-2011, 04:07 AM

Welcome to the balmy beaches of The Island. I see you've met the bartender...

W1GUH
08-11-2011, 08:29 AM
Shoes for Industry, compadre, you got it right.

Hey, Jeff...welcome to the Island. Pull up a beach chair and bury your toes in the warm sand. And, unlike the pizza and chicken guys, our bartender WILL deliver to Sector R. Bartender, another one on my tab for our distinguished new Islander.

W1GUH
08-11-2011, 08:55 AM
Dennison, the Mens Clothier, Rte. 22, Union New Jersey, where money talks and nobody walks. Come in and fill our til that's nil.

Jeff K1NSS
08-11-2011, 09:12 AM
Tnx N2NH, yep we've met the bartender and some of the clientele and we're just coming out of diabetic shock from all the drinks with parasols. Never mind, surf's up!

Jeff K1NSS
08-11-2011, 09:18 AM
BODE-acious! Pulling up beach chair, pushing aside rotting sea robins and cheap foam cooler shards. The smell of Seaside Heights in the morning hits me like a hot kiss at the end of a wet fist.

Jeff K1NSS
08-11-2011, 09:30 AM
Got all my bespoke white levis and doughboy jackets there. There's something about heavily-reverbed ballyhoo that screams they'll pass the savings on to you.

W1GUH
08-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Any mp3's or even transcripts on the web? Haven't been able to raise anything. I remember that the copy had some great stuff in it. "We'll take you and your money! We'll even take your money without you!"

W3WN
08-11-2011, 10:13 AM
BODE-acious! Pulling up beach chair, pushing aside rotting sea robins and cheap foam cooler shards. The smell of Seaside Heights in the morning hits me like a hot kiss at the end of a wet fist.4488"I've been to ancient Greece! Look at this grape!"

kb2vxa
08-11-2011, 10:40 AM
For those of you west of the Delaware, one-nine is NOT on the CB dial. Good grief Charlie Brown, Dash! opened a huge can of worms sending the O. F. Misfits on a DXpedition through the obscure Outer Mongolian provinces of Nostalgia, Neuritis and Neuralgia. Speaking of FOO, 'twasn't long before I set aside the Sunday News for MAD and needing a stronger fix it soon gave way to Zap Comics, R. Crumb and the Cheap Suits (yeah, he had a band) and Firesign Theatre albums played backward. Meanwhile that Remco Caravel grew into a monster and would not obey.

Nah, no need for Route 22 cracks when Jean said it best in Jean Shepherd's America on PBS... American Grubble. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rke5xFNO0og

W1GUH
08-11-2011, 10:58 AM
Oh, yea, I forgot to mention...

Notary Sojac (http://www.smokey-stover.com/)

Jeff K1NSS
08-11-2011, 11:28 AM
FOO bubblin' for lunch. So old I recall neuritis, neuralgia and once wondered if Carter's Little Liver Pills were eaten slathered in ketchup, my method of choice for forcing down that hepatic horror. My dad was a newspaper editor so we inherited a lot of Sunday funnies -- Journal American, Newark News, Herald Trib, sometimes the Daily News and always the funniless Times(cheesy ads on the back page of the sports section made up for it though, Weather Balloons! Naval Jelly! Miracle Haband Slax!) Oddly enough, Pop was also the vector of Mad magazine infection, which rocked my world, especially the paradigm-busting experience of us sharing a comic book. Up until then my exo-funnies world didn't stretch far beyond Disney and DC comics. Later on Crumb of course, S. Clay Wilson, Spain. Metal Hurlant, Mobius, them furren funnies, and FS. Spent many an undergraduate night with fellow Firesign scholars deconstructing it all, how all the albums connected, how it all tied in with Carl Ogelsby's Yankee and Cowboy War conspiracy, the postWWII rise of the Reptillian National Security State, everything we know is wrong, la de doo dah. I had a theory that Georgie was Ulysses..."Ahhh...I see your are a sailor." Listened to "How Can You Be.." recently and rued my curbed enthusiasm.

Jeff K1NSS
08-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Tanks Pal! I've never seen that...FOO's 'PHEW!

Who knew?

Jeff K1NSS
08-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Tooth, no lie -- wasn't it "Look at this Agape!"?

W3WN
08-11-2011, 11:46 AM
I miss Shep. I couldn't tell you how many nights I had the transistor radio next to me, listening to him tell his tall tales on WOR, only to have my big sister constantly burst in and say "Turn that radio off and go to sleep, or I'm going to tell Mom!" (And she did, too, the stinker)

And that was before I found out he was K2ORS

People who only know of him because of Shepard's Pie, Jean Shepard's America & the other PBS series, or from the two movies (Not just A Christmas Story (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085334/)but it's sequel, It Runs in the Family (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110168/)), or of his Playboy stories (which became the books), have no clue as to what little they know. With luck, one day they will find out.

W3WN
08-11-2011, 12:06 PM
Tooth, no lie -- wasn't it "Look at this Agape!"?Nope.

C~ Oh Nancy Nancy it’s a success I’m back it’s a success! I have proof I’ve been to Ancient Greece! See look At this grape! http://www.angelfire.com/planet/firesign/furtheradv.html

Now put down that pickle.

NQ6U
08-11-2011, 12:18 PM
Spent many an undergraduate night with fellow Firesign scholars deconstructing it all [...] I had a theory that Georgie was Ulysses..."Ahhh...I see your are a sailor."

You're right—the FST has said as much. See if you can find a copy of The Big Book of Plays sometime.

BTW, the Three or Four Crazy Guys are still kicking out the occasional new disc.

W1GUH
08-11-2011, 01:02 PM
'BH:

First off, you never admit that you know/have met/owed money to/or had relations with W1GUH.

Aw...where is the love in that statement? (While sipping coffee and chain-smoking)

Jeff K1NSS
08-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Big Book of Plays, eh? I have to look into that. I hung in through Everything You Know. Before I knew of their early albums, I first ran across the greatest ads for their performances (live? radio? forget) in some west coast hippie paper (SF Oracle?) B/W Comics style something like Robert Williams, Burroughsian insectile Aztec kind of scenes, with speech balloons full of runic visual gibberish. Struck me, at the time, to be very close to reality, like, if you stare at a page of English text and try not to enforce meaning to the characters, you can see it for the Chinese/Cuniform/Paleolithic scratches it really is. Maybe I can find one of those ads. No, I can't. May be ads for an SF radio station that mentions FS. Does this ring any bells? Great bluesky almost fallish wx up here, this day is just like sitting in a big hand.

Jeff K1NSS
08-11-2011, 02:47 PM
4492Remember Coochy? He often figured in Robert Williams cartoons. Can't find any thing resembling what I discussed above, perhaps just an afternoon fever dream after all. Back to Willowkill beneath the waters. Look at me, now I'm an Island Regular. Must be all that Regular Gas and Regular Coffee. What'll it be? The Regular.

WØTKX
08-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Holy Carp and Great Tesla's Ghost! Welcome to the Island Jeff/K1NSS! :mrgreen:

I flashbacked to the old Transoceanic grandma gave me, built an external BFO for it.
DahDit DiDiDit DiDiDit DahDit DiDiDit DiDiDit DahDit DiDiDit DiDiDit DahDit DiDiDit DiDiDit
NSS, indeed! Some of the first code I ever copied, learned it in the scouts. Became a Hamster in 1970.

Mad Magazine may have saved me, in so many ways. It was verbohten in my house, I hid them like some hid Playboy. Please visit often, and bring the hilarious. I know you will. :yes:

P.S. Ever consider writing for The Daily Show? Seriously, you'd be very good at it.
Could hear your prose recited by John Oliver, even more so than John Stewart. :agree:

Jeff K1NSS
08-11-2011, 04:06 PM
Kind words indeed, TU W0TKX!

"Built an external BFO for it..."

A Trans Oceanic falls out of the sky and you took it to the next level. That kind of compulsive pluck forever turns the world, Bravo.

Your NSS memory is exactly what prompted my vanity call. As a 60s kid ham I was WN/WB2EXW, a real yawner, saved only by the clandestine X-Ray X, for whatever pulp fiction cache that's worth. Returning to the fold in Massachusetts in 2001, I was issued KB1HHC, Hotel Hotel California, which was cute for a few minutes and the double H a bit of a bear on CW. All is vanity, so I reached back and remembered the NSS loop mantra, its lovely cadence and that was that. Lots of comments about that on the air, from retired Navy and history-minded hams. Once a worked a 80-something YL on CW who was a NSS operator! Really neat having her send the hallowed callsign. I hope I'll prove a worthy stewart of the suffix.

One Mad story. In fifth grade had my first male teacher,one Mr. Blair, who hit just the right note of lassiez-faire discipline, i.e. he ran our classroom like Ernest Borgnine ran McHale's Navy. Believe it or don't, he let us openly read Mad Magazine if our work was complete, and allowed me to display a small ceramic bust of Alfred E. Newman on my desk. In appreciation, a collection was taken up among our usual gang of idiots, and we sent for the larger AEN bust and presented it to him for his desk, where it remained in a prominent position until year's end. "What me worry?" Now that's a teacher, baby!

NQ6U
08-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Big Book of Plays, eh? I have to look into that. I hung in through Everything You Know. Before I knew of their early albums, I first ran across the greatest ads for their performances (live? radio? forget) in some west coast hippie paper (SF Oracle?) B/W Comics style something like Robert Williams, Burroughsian insectile Aztec kind of scenes, with speech balloons full of runic visual gibberish. Struck me, at the time, to be very close to reality, like, if you stare at a page of English text and try not to enforce meaning to the characters, you can see it for the Chinese/Cuniform/Paleolithic scratches it really is. Maybe I can find one of those ads. No, I can't. May be ads for an SF radio station that mentions FS. Does this ring any bells? Great bluesky almost fallish wx up here, this day is just like sitting in a big hand.

Hmmm... Hard to say. The FST was mostly active in Los Angeles, which is why there are so many L.A. insider jokes in their plays, but a lot of the so-called "underground" stations back in the day used little clips during promos and as humorous interstitials. Some of them still do, in fact—just yesterday I was listening to the satellite radio and heard "Far out, Catherwood. Just roll up a couple of bombers and put them on the side table." Cracked me up completely.

Jeff K1NSS
08-11-2011, 04:43 PM
Humorous interstitials cracked me up completely.

Ahhh I see you are a resident of the greater San Diego metroplex...my Toady comics ran in back pages of the San Diego Reader in the later 80s, early 90s. Been there once, to the zoo, natch, and had dinner downtown that evening. Lovely place! Remember all the Afghan restuarant ads in the Reader in them fat days. Is the paper still around?

Back to FST, maybe it was an LA underground paper in which I saw talking insect ads. Used to plop down in my college library periodicals room and skim the underground papers, QST, CQ, Sky and Telescope, Aviation Week, Poptronics (I remember the Altair ads!) when taking a break from more serious fooling around.

W1GUH
08-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Speaking of The Hat and Mr. Bode, here's a cartoon of his that pretty much sums up what, IMHO, is the way to live. I saw it in a magazine on a job in 8/73 and just HAD to rip it out and preserve it. For years I thought it was an issue of OUI magazine, but when I got copies of that on eBay, nope....it wasn't there. Multiple intense google-fu sessions have yielded nada. So here it is, in all its glory.

NQ6U
08-11-2011, 06:15 PM
Humorous interstitials cracked me up completely.

Not bad for a truck driver, eh?

Ahhh I see you are a resident of the greater San Diego metroplex...my Toady comics ran in back pages of the San Diego Reader in the later 80s, early 90s. Been there once, to the zoo, natch, and had dinner downtown that evening. Lovely place! Remember all the Afghan restuarant ads in the Reader in them fat days. Is the paper still around?

The Reader is still around, although I no longer pick it up myself. The owner contributed a large sum of money to the Proposition 8 campaign and I don't care to increase his readership.

San Diego has changed a lot since the late Eighties, you'd hardly recognize it now. For one thing, it's actually safe to go downtown after dark thanks to some redevelopment that evicted the whorehouses and dive bars and porno theaters. It used to be dead down there after 20:00 or so, now it's jumping until 02:00 every morning with a pretty lively local music scene.

Back to FST, maybe it was an LA underground paper in which I saw talking insect ads. Used to plop down in my college library periodicals room and skim the underground papers, QST, CQ, Sky and Telescope, Aviation Week, Poptronics (I remember the Altair ads!) when taking a break from more serious fooling around.

My XYL, who grew up in L.A. (I'm a native San Franciscan myself), says that the FST used to frequent the Ash Grove Theater, perhaps ads for one of those shows is what you saw. Mostly, though, they were on KPFK radio doing their Radio Free Oz programs.

kb2vxa
08-11-2011, 06:52 PM
"I miss Shep. I couldn't tell you how many nights I had the transistor radio next to me, listening to him tell his tall tales on WOR, only to have my big sister constantly burst in and say "Turn that radio off and go to sleep, or I'm going to tell Mom!" (And she did, too, the stinker)"

I don't have a sister but mom had Superman powers, between X-ray vision and super hearing she KNEW when with head under pillow cans on I was listening to Shep. Same result though, just that I couldn't get to sleep laying there wondering how to turn a crystal set off.

"Now put down that pickle."

Funny how that reminded me of a club meeting some years ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdJDqi05qVU This time however Gordo got a lecture on the broad band characteristics of a spark transmitter, radiating power lines and why one should NEVER send SOS in a non emergency situation. (;->)

Now we have another Jeff, rather a kindred spirit with more than a few familiar spirits in the Island closet. The difference here is this NSS doesn't pull 2MW from the power lines to put a lousy 30KW of RF on the air. (;->) Hey guy, isn't that base insulator just a bit of overkill for a Gotham vertical? Oh, nice writeup on your blog... TNX.

Jeff K1NSS
08-11-2011, 07:28 PM
4500 TNX GUH, too for boost on QRZ! Nice to see a Bode after not for a long time. I admired Bode's bungey figures and squishy text, tended to just look and not read the dialog. More edgily smooth was another favorite of mine, Rick Griffin, all the way back to two-legged eyeballs in Surfer magazine. Some of these artists, like Hendrix too, the sounds and imagery just bubbles up out of another dimension, crazy crazy, crazy polished.

Jeff K1NSS
08-11-2011, 07:34 PM
KJ6BSO, not bad t'all after six days on the road with a Georgia Overdrive. Tnx for the LA FST leads. I'm gonna pursue those, because if the asteroid hits tonight, at least I'll be vaporized doing something meaningful.

Jeff K1NSS
08-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Shep, Shep, Shep. He appealed to all my tastes, which as a kid I fancied were ideosyncratic, but were shared and appreciated by so many more than I understood and probably wanted to believe. Shep played to that so well, lampooned it while trading on it all the while. Slobs, fatheads, children of Route 22, topped off with Morse Code on the kazoo. What Smart Aleck wouldn't feel like the coolest cat in room if he actually copied that code!

Love the Goliath/Gotham insulator. I want to work NSS into the Love Shack story, something about some rogue Midshipmen hams taking it over and challenging Dash! and Justine and Joe and Kappy and the Radio Row Love Shack club to a battle on the bands. See, while NSS has the Goliath antenna, the Love Shack gang, thanks to a little hacking by Kappy, can load up the Third Rail of the entire New York subway system -- just like those old couplers you plugged in any AC and turned your house wiring into a giant TV antenna -- only this is writ much, much larger.

But that's just between us Misfit Hams, eh gang?

WØTKX
08-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Oh heck yea, bounce ideas off us and stuff.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/images/uploads/arte.jpg

Sehr interessant. Und nicht dumm!

My first callsign(s): WN/WBØCYU. Try that on CW. Can you say Yech? ;)
Whiskey Bravo Zero Clean Your Underwear. Crusty Yellow Underwear?

After 26 years out of the hobby, I came back... actually got "grandfathered"
by just taking the Tech exam. KCØTLW. Yech again!
Kilo Charlie Zero Tasty Little Whiskey. And worse.

WØTKX is a vanity, an SK elmer's call. It does have decent rhythm .
Bonus is strong phoenetics. Teaching Kids Xylophone? :dunno:

Man I loved Cheech and Bode. Just nuts about cartoons, always have been. Some of the weirder comix, the Aardvark stuff is cool. A fan of R. Crumb, Berke Breathed, Calvin & Hobbes, etc. Nowdays, I like stuff by Seth McFarlane and crew... he's even bringing back the Flinstones. True Story. Can yadig thepaincomics (http://www.thepaincomics.com/)? :snicker:

http://www.thepaincomics.com/New%20Voice%20of%20Republicans.jpg

Jeff K1NSS
08-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Especially great toon of Rush -- visually he's a big fat target and very tempting to render over the top, but this is restrained and all the more effectively creepy. Who did this? I don't recognize the style, which is dandy.

Re the callsigns, TKX is pretty strong, seems like a good choice. Callsigns can be cool from various angles, aside from the most efficient for DX and contesting.For example, I was always a sucker for the romance of KDKA -- extra cool because most stations in the east were Ws, which gives it an exotic Western, late night skip kinda cache, yet they're no farther out than Pittsburg. The three letter clear channel call letters, WOR, WSM, sound long ago and far away as dreamland, just what you want to hear through your pillow.

Seth MacFarlane, well, I'm not keen on Family Guy. I mean, as a fan of S.Clay Wilson and Crumb among others, don't think I'm a prude, but there's something about that show's shade of blue material and the art that ain't my taste. Neither is South Park with the Colorforms animation style, although I've enjoyed and laughed at parts of both FG and SP. Didn't the South Park guys do Team America? That was hysterical. So is Sponge Bob, and the Simpsons, natch, and Rocky and Bullwinkle and Beany and Cecil back in the day. Jay Ward and Bob Clampett man, pure genius.

W3WN
08-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Speaking of The Hat and Mr. Bode, here's a cartoon of his that pretty much sums up what, IMHO, is the way to live. I saw it in a magazine on a job in 8/73 and just HAD to rip it out and preserve it. For years I thought it was an issue of OUI magazine, but when I got copies of that on eBay, nope....it wasn't there. Multiple intense google-fu sessions have yielded nada. So here it is, in all its glory.

4495For some reason, I'm thinking of the old Heavy Metal, but I'm probably wrong on that. I ought to remember where I used to see those strips... well, they say that memory is the second thing to go in old age, but I can't remember what the first one is...

Seriously, Jeff, do you take requests? As I mentioned in a thread a couple of weeks back, I have an idea for a logo for my club newsletter, but I can't draw a straight line to save my life, and I don't know anyone who could do it justice... not at anything that I could afford, at least...

NQ6U
08-12-2011, 01:15 PM
The National Lampoon used to carry Bodé's comics, as did High Times. Not that I ever read the latter, of course...

W3WN
08-12-2011, 01:26 PM
The National Lampoon used to carry Bodé's comics, as did High Times. Not that I ever read the latter, of course...I forgot about the Lampoon carrying his work. That might explain the memory as well.

on edit: Here's some more info on Vaughn Bode: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaughn_Bodé I hadn't realized that he'd passed away. There's also an article here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaughn_Bodé) about Cheech Wizard as well.

WØTKX
08-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Especially great toon of Rush -- visually he's a big fat target and very tempting to render over the top, but this is restrained and all the more effectively creepy. Who did this? I don't recognize the style, which is dandy.

That would be Tim Kreider. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pain_–_When_Will_It_End%3F

He's also a writer... http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/author/tim-kreider/

Here's an excerpt:

I was a political cartoonist and essayist for the duration of the Bush presidency, so I was professionally furious every week for eight years. The pejorative “Bush-hater” always rankled me – presuming that my rightful outrage at that administration’s abuses was as arbitrary and irrational as misogyny or arachnophobia. And yet, looking back at my work from those years, even I am struck by its tone of shrill, unrelieved rancor. No wonder readers who met me in real life seemed surprised to learn that I was personable and polite; they must’ve been expecting someone more like Ted Kaczynski or the guy from “Notes from Underground.” Reading over my own impassioned rants now, my main reaction is: Jeez Louise, what a sorehead.

Jeff K1NSS
08-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Kreider's stuff is terrific. It's just sweatin' spleen, it is, and looks real sharp. I got my start in the Baltimore City Paper too, long before. Go Tim!

W1GUH
08-17-2011, 09:45 PM
Found a Dennison, the Men's Clothier ad on youtube!!

Here's a link to a recording of Charlie Greer's show on WABC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0djl09UfWPM)....the Dennison commercial starts about 1:26. There's another one about 3:26

Or, if you want just commercial here's a link for that (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKa9dTW9ZHY).

"Open from ten in the morning til five in the morning"