PDA

View Full Version : The Trumansburg hamfest was wonderful!

W1GUH
08-07-2011, 02:06 PM
It was small, but what was there was pretty awseome -- lots of old farts with vintage stuff. Got a working (demo'ed) and good looking D-104 for $30 from a great old fart. He also had a small Matchbox w/o meter for $50 -- he'd taken the cover off so any potential buyers could take a good look at the guts. Had the relay in it. But doncha know, he didn't sell it. If I didn't already have one I would have grabbed it. Yep, today everybody's too lazy to actually use what a lot of us think is the most efficient and best made tuner available -- they all want the super whiz-bang auto tuners and damn the losses of a balun on the output.

Ah, well..

Also picked up a 3" stack of QSL cards that includes some of the classics. The Hammarlund card, the Pan Am card, TWO cards from W4BKT press similar to what I had in the 60's. Also at least one from Rog, K0AAB. Will be scanning those very soon. AND one of the cards listed the XMTR as KW-1! Out-effing standing!

But saved the best for last. Anyone seen Dashtoons (http://www.dashtoons.com/)? The author was there and I bought his two books. If you were a novice in the early 60's they'll "get" you. He has captured the essence of getting on the air as a novice in that era perfectly! Check out some of his graphics. THAT's who I'm going to get a custom QSL from. Jeff's a really good guy.

I'll definitely be going back there next year. In addition to a really nice hamfest with a lot of really good guys, that part of the country just north of Ithaca is really pretty -- right next to Cayuga Lake.

KG4CGC
08-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Sounds like a fun time. Next one up near here is Shelby, AKA Dallas NC. So glad it's not at the old shithole anymore. It's also so much closer to me now since the move.