PDA

View Full Version : 10 10 Contest this weekend

Jerry
08-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Another dumb old 10 - 10 contest this weekend.

At least most of them are staying off the 28.400 mhx call channel this time.

I don't belong to the 10 10 club - because they charge a fee to join.

I guess that is what I need to do, start my own club and charge fee's and have contests.

Is there anyone else out there participating in this contest this weekend?

Band conditions were good here yesterday morning and again this morning and afternoon - chasing the GREY Line propagation.

W4GPL
08-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Fuck Ten Ten International. There are no bigger douche bags in ham radio, especially their local chapters.

Not that I have a strong opinion about it or anything.

ki4itv
08-07-2011, 11:53 AM
I had one of those guys "go off" on me when I was first licensed. Just trying to help him out and give him a contact. They only want to talk to each other apparently.

N8YX
08-07-2011, 12:42 PM
I'm a member of the 30-30 Club. My favorite is shown below:

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/images/centerfire/zoom_336C.jpg

W2NAP
08-07-2011, 02:10 PM

how bout the 15 club?

KB3LIX
08-07-2011, 02:43 PM
I am an avid contest op and I avoid 10-10 like the plague.
The idea of paying a FEE to be a member is silly.
Let them BS amongst themselves.

I like the idea of a .30-.30 club.
I'll join that one !

NQ6U
08-07-2011, 02:59 PM

Prefer the 30-06 Club myself. Better for DX.

KG4CGC
08-07-2011, 03:14 PM
The 30 30 and the 30-06 are nice for saddle bound shooters but if you want a really accurate all around tactical firearm, ask an expert.

N8YX
08-07-2011, 03:24 PM
Prefer the 30-06 Club myself. Better for DX.

300 Win Mag is better yet, as is 7mm Rem Mag. We'll see how 'DSG does with her sporterized 1903A3, however.

The 30 30 and the 30-06 are nice for saddle bound shooters but if you want a really accurate all around tactical firearm, ask an expert.

See below. My only gripe is that the setup comes with an 18" bbl; you lose about 300fps over the 20" version which the Knight SR-25 and Armalite SuperSASS come equipped with. The upper assembly of mine is now sitting on a standard "A2" configuration lower, while the SASS lower has a 24" heavy barrel upper mated to it for regional F-class long-distance target competition work. It's a bench queen - at 17lbs with scope and magazine inserted the rig is far too heavy to carry afield but that's not why I put it together.

http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/image.aspx?id=23&type=large

suddenseer
08-07-2011, 06:46 PM

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/images/centerfire/zoom_336C.jpgBeats the 700 club.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-p22psTUebik/Tbav5MR0K5I/AAAAAAAAYTA/1YRoQbB8DQI/s1600/robertson_gives_finger.1.jpg

W5RB
08-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Another dumb old 10 - 10 contest this weekend.

At least most of them are staying off the 28.400 mhx call channel this time.

I don't belong to the 10 10 club - because they charge a fee to join.

I guess that is what I need to do, start my own club and charge fee's and have contests.

Is there anyone else out there participating in this contest this weekend?

Band conditions were good here yesterday morning and again this morning and afternoon - chasing the GREY Line propagation.

So , who designated 28.400 a "call channel" ?

KG4CGC
08-07-2011, 07:10 PM
So , who designated 28.400 a "call channel" ?Gentlemen.

W4GPL
08-07-2011, 07:13 PM
So , who designated 28.400 a "call channel" ?Haha.. I knew someone was going to say that. I agree that it's not officially a calling channel, but parking a rag chew or contest CQ on 28.400 is somewhat of a douche bag move. Lots of bandwidth on 10 meters, there's no reason to do that.

KJ3N
08-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Haha.. I knew someone was going to say that. I agree that it's not officially a calling channel, but parking a rag chew or contest CQ on 28.400 is somewhat of a douche bag move. Lots of bandwidth on 10 meters, there's no reason to do that.

That applies to this so-called "call channel" as well. :roll:

W5RB
08-07-2011, 08:06 PM
It's unprecedented on HF , as far as I know . I mean , do people actually use it to call other stations , and then move them off to another frequency ? I've never heard that happen . We used to do local roundtables on .400 , since our 10M antennas were peaked there , and , as the center of expected ssb activity , we were likely to be first to catch a band opening . Nobody ever complained about us being there . It's not like it was the DX window . Plus , I dislike the term "channel" in this application . I'm not gonna go there lookin' for argument , I'm just sayin' ...

Jerry
08-07-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm glad that I am not the only one here that hates those people.

I once received a email from my uncle Bill in Cleveland Ohio that explained how to deal with telemarketers and spammers and the bills that has items placed in them such as advertising. He said to mail it back to them when you send your bill payment in.

The way to get back at the 10 - 10 people is to make up a fictitious 10 - 10 number.
I just tell them my zip code 157_ _...

It wouldn't be so bad if they used the upper frequency such as 28.500 and up.
But when they set up shop around 28.400 - the call channel, I get pissed.

There is nothing worse then some idiot on 28.405 or 28.395 mhz with his Palamar amplifier, splattering all over the place.

I heard one guy today with a Icom 7000 that had a recording of his call sign, so that all he had to do was listen, and if there was a call sign he wanted to respond to - he could, the rest of the time, it just kept playing over and over and over again.

CQ 10 - 10, CQ 10 - 10, this is KB_ XYZ..... Calling CQ 10 - 10 and some other junk.

KG4CGC
08-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Sorry to hear that you 'hate' them. We here don't hate anyone.
Why don't you put your Extra class privileges to good use and work towards a used HF rig and just stay away from any crowd that causes you consternation.
You'll be a much happier hammy.

Jerry
08-07-2011, 09:38 PM
As far as I know and understand, a long time ago, the ARRL designated 28.400 and 28.425 Mhz Upper Side Band as the official call channel for the 10 meters.

Same is true with the 11 meters, channel 7 and 11 were special channels as was the channel 9 which is officially designated by the FCC part 95 as the emergency channel.

The Mexican's - and don't get me wrong on this one, Spanish speaking people, don't seem to care that channel 9 is the emergency channel in the USA.
I guess when you live in a 3rd world country, and don't have enough bandwidth to carry on 1000 conversations at the same time, you have to use every possible channel available.

That was something that I just figured out the other day on Flea Bay.
Those high price radios you see being sold USED for as much money or more money then what a brand new radio is selling for is being sold to other countries - which if they had to declare what was in the box and how much they paid for it, would cost them double or triple what they are paying you for it.

You do take the risk that their check from the first national bank of Libya won't bounce or be a fake. I guess that is why they can take a Heathkit 101 and parts it out for so much money. The mic for $50.00 The radio for $300.00 The owners manual for $25.00 The power supply for $200.00 The scope broke - for $125.00

KA9MOT
08-08-2011, 02:11 AM
I can't believe he went there.....:doh:

W5RB
08-08-2011, 03:20 AM
As far as I know and understand, a long time ago, the ARRL designated 28.400 and 28.425 Mhz Upper Side Band as the official call channel for the 10 meters.

No such designation exists in current ARRL bandplan info that I can find . As to your other content ,
Paging Ren , W3BNY , please pick up a white courtesy telephone.....

KJ3N
08-08-2011, 05:26 AM
I can't believe he went there.....:doh:

I can. :roll:

N8YX
08-08-2011, 05:35 AM
Same is true with the 11 meters, channel 7 and 11 were special channels as was the channel 9 which is officially designated by the FCC part 95 as the emergency channel.

The Mexican's - and don't get me wrong on this one, Spanish speaking people, don't seem to care that channel 9 is the emergency channel in the USA.
I guess when you live in a 3rd world country, and don't have enough bandwidth to carry on 1000 conversations at the same time, you have to use every possible channel available.
Jerry,

The FCC's jurisdiction ends at our borders. Period. And as such, the FCC's spectrum assignments and regulations are unenforceable outside them. Unless the Mexican equivalent of the FCC has officially set aside CB channel 9 as an "emergency" frequency, citizens of Mexico are free to use that frequency as they see fit. That is, as long as they're in Mexico and not traveling in the U.S. But I rarely hear any Spanish language activity on the frequency unless propagation favors the southwest, so you do the math...

KC2UGV
08-08-2011, 09:27 AM
Yeah, so far the only band-related club I belong to is the 30MDG. 10-10 seems like straight-up CB transplants from CB clubs of yesteryear.

KA9MOT
08-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Yeah, so far the only band-related club I belong to is the 30MDG. 10-10 seems like straight-up CB transplants from CB clubs of yesteryear.

LOL! The next time I'm asked for a 10-10 number, I think I'll answer, "Sorry Bro, I'm no CBer!" :lol:

W2NAP
08-08-2011, 05:00 PM
could be worse could be more idiot band spodes on 10 with the echo and roger beeps

w2amr
08-09-2011, 01:18 PM

I once received a email from my uncle Bill in Cleveland Ohio that explained how to deal with telemarketers and spammers and the bills that has items placed in them such as advertising. He said to mail it back to them when you send your bill payment in.

The way to get back at the 10 - 10 people is to make up a fictitious 10 - 10 number.

There is nothing worse then some idiot on 28.405 or 28.395 mhz with his Palamar amplifier, splattering all over the place.

I heard one guy today with a Icom 7000 that had a recording of his call sign, so that all he had to do was listen, and if there was a call sign he wanted to respond to - he could, the rest of the time, it just kept playing over and over and over again.

CQ 10 - 10, CQ 10 - 10, this is KB_ XYZ..... Calling CQ 10 - 10 and some other junk.
Jebus.:wtf:

WX7P
08-09-2011, 01:44 PM

You sure spend a lot of time being angry, station.

What, do you have a group of people you talk to on or around 28.400? Even in the pre-digital readout days, I had no problem finding friends on HF. "Around" a certain frequency can be +/- 10-15 kc. Is that so hard to get around?

This has been stated before, which I will reinforce. Find the fun stuff, ignore all the crap if you're really serious about having fun with the radio. If you want to be a radio drama queen, go nuts, just don't expect a whole lot of sympathy from anyone if you start bitching about the same old shit we've been hearing from the fringes for the past 30 years or so. Oh, wait. You've already started doing that.

Maybe you can find K3VR and join his Canadian moose hunting expedition. That'll keep you occupied.

w2amr
08-09-2011, 02:32 PM
You sure spend a lot of time being angry, station.

What, do you have a group of people you talk to on or around 28.400? Even in the pre-digital readout days, I had no problem finding friends on HF. "Around" a certain frequency can be +/- 10-15 kc. Is that so hard to get around?

This has been stated before, which I will reinforce. Find the fun stuff, ignore all the crap if you're really serious about having fun with the radio. If you want to be a radio drama queen, go nuts, just don't expect a whole lot of sympathy from anyone if you start bitching about the same old shit we've been hearing from the fringes for the past 30 years or so. Oh, wait. You've already started doing that.

Maybe you can find K3VR and join his Canadian moose hunting expedition. That'll keep you occupied.:lol:

WØTKX
08-09-2011, 02:51 PM
Ja... Canadian Polish speaking Moose for Brains.Get off of 10 meters. 14.313 and/or 14.275. Maybe 75 meters, but we have plenty of angst there already.Maybe start a Drama Llama club. Cq Drama!

w2amr
08-09-2011, 03:08 PM
Ja... Canadian Polish speaking Moose for Brains.Get off of 10 meters. 14.313 and/or 14.275. Maybe 75 meters, but we have plenty of angst there already.Maybe start a Drama Llama club. Cq Drama!
What, contesters on MY call frequency?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Y73sPHKxw&feature=related

N8YX
08-10-2011, 07:34 PM
So...who's contesting this weekend and what are you planning on working?

KJ3N
08-11-2011, 06:15 AM

The only thing I see coming up is the Maryland-DC QSO Party (http://mdcqsoparty.w3vpr.org/Documents/MarylandQSOPartyRules2011v2.pdf) this weekend. Not exactly something I'm going to get worked up about.

ETA: Oops! I forgot WAE CW (http://www.darc.de/referate/dx/contest/waedc/en/rules/) is also this weekend, but it's CW so I won't be there.

KC2UGV
08-11-2011, 07:17 AM
I may jump in there... Time permitting. I should be able to knock out the 20 mile bike ride before 11AM, so I may​ be able to start by then.

N8YX
08-11-2011, 08:00 AM
I may jump in there... Time permitting. I should be able to knock out the 20 mile bike ride before 11AM, so I may​ be able to start by then.It's finally getting cool enough that we're going to get the bikes back out and start doing the same. Our area bike trail is getting some finish work (in the form of a bridge and an easement) on a section roughly 2 miles south of our house. When completed in November it'll be continuous between uppermost Akron and Massillon. Round trip from my front door south to the Blue Heron cafe (and Ernie's Bike Shop) and back is about 45 miles.

We have mounts for our VX-6R / VX-7R on the bike bars and can take extra batteries. Would be cool to access an Echolink or WIRES node along the trail.

KC2UGV
08-11-2011, 08:35 AM
It's finally getting cool enough that we're going to get the bikes back out and start doing the same. Our area bike trail is getting some finish work (in the form of a bridge and an easement) on a section roughly 2 miles south of our house. When completed in November it'll be continuous between uppermost Akron and Massillon. Round trip from my front door south to the Blue Heron cafe (and Ernie's Bike Shop) and back is about 45 miles.

We have mounts for our VX-6R / VX-7R on the bike bars and can take extra batteries. Would be cool to access an Echolink or WIRES node along the trail.

I was thinking the same thing, actually :) Got my HTX-420, and looking to figure out how to mount it right now (Plus external antenna).

I'm going to have to set up my own EchoLink node, however. No local nodes here :(

KB3LIX
08-11-2011, 09:52 PM

WAE-CW

I have done the Maryland-DC QSO Party a few times,
and participation is POOR at best.
Not worth the effort.

KE6LYU
08-12-2011, 09:59 AM
It's unprecedented on HF , as far as I know . I mean , do people actually use it to call other stations , and then move them off to another frequency ? I've never heard that happen .

When the band is open, roll the RX down to 27.555 USB, you will find many stations ( outside of the united states ) that call for DX and state the Frequency they are listening on.
That is some kind of clandestine international call frequency.
Darn free-banders.

KE6LYU

KE6LYU
08-12-2011, 03:53 PM
I will be on the air this weekend, Mobile, but i do not have enough time to devote to actual contesting.
Be nice if the band is open and I hear some of you guys there.

Jeff

N8YX
08-12-2011, 04:51 PM
When the band is open, roll the RX down to 27.555 USB, you will find many stations ( outside of the united states ) that call for DX and state the Frequency they are listening on.
That is some kind of clandestine international call frequency.
Darn free-banders.

They've gone high-tech:

http://www.freebanding.co.uk/eccluster_interface/Results/results_page.asp

In addition to the usual 11M haunts, I see a lot of folks using 3475, 6670, 13555 and 13970KHz (and nearby allocations). Wonder why their U.S.-based counterparts don't do same, what with the widespread availability of suitable amateur radio gear?

KC2UGV
08-12-2011, 06:11 PM
They've gone high-tech:

http://www.freebanding.co.uk/eccluster_interface/Results/results_page.asp

In addition to the usual 11M haunts, I see a lot of folks using 3475, 6670, 13555 and 13970KHz (and nearby allocations). Wonder why their U.S.-based counterparts don't do same, what with the widespread availability of suitable amateur radio gear?

Keep reporting spots on 555 for Iraq or Syrian. Watch teh lulz.

N8YX
08-12-2011, 06:41 PM
Keep reporting spots on 555 for Iraq or Syrian. Watch teh lulz.

That I can practically guarantee. :snicker: