PDA

View Full Version : CD Only Drives

n2ize
08-05-2011, 03:23 PM
Another question. Are CD-only drives still sold or used anymore ? It would seem to make more logical sense to purchase a Blu ray or DVD drive which can also play CD's. Why would anyone want or use a CD only drive anymore ? And, assuming somebody does, can they even buy such an item new anymore ? I would wager they are obsolete and no longer made or sold.

W3MPS
08-05-2011, 09:38 PM
The only thing I have a CD only drive in is my ancient IBM 486. A quick look on New Egg showed zip, zero, and nada on CD-ROM drives.

For real fun try finding 8" or 5.25" floppy drives.

NQ6U
08-05-2011, 11:56 PM
¿Que es un "floppy drive?"

n2ize
08-06-2011, 04:42 AM
The only thing I have a CD only drive in is my ancient IBM 486. A quick look on New Egg showed zip, zero, and nada on CD-ROM drives.

Ah... but we have :snicker::snicker::snicker: I have an old Pentium Computer that has both a 3,.5 and a 5.25 floppy drives and, to my knowledge still works. However, it's been decommissioned for many years. Up to around 2002 I was using it as a basic dialup server and for a few other purposes). You could hear the thing coming through the AM broadcast radio all the way out into the street. Finally I decommissioned it and replaced it with a modern system. Still got it though. I should try firing it up for laughs.

KC2UGV
08-06-2011, 08:40 PM
Only used and NOS are sold still. They are backwards compatible, so it's moot to look for a CD-ROM only drive. It's like looking for a new 2x drive.

W3MPS
08-06-2011, 11:12 PM
You could hear the thing coming through the AM broadcast radio all the way out into the street.

Ha! That reminds me of my old Pro Liant server. 4 8 gig SCSI drives internally and a whopping 90 gigs worth of 4GB drives in an external enclosure. It took 20 minutes or so to boot because all the drives had to get up to about 10,000 RPM. It sounded like a B-52 spooling up for take off, and you could hear it three rooms away.

W1GUH
09-09-2011, 08:07 AM

Some dweeb humor....

Back when I was a Deccie, the company periodically published a list of available standards. One issue listed "Standard for floppy dicks."